Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Time to bring my Dracula season to an end with...

The Legend Of The 7 Golden Vapires (1974)

Legend_of_the_7_golden_vampires.jpg

They really should have stopped after Satanic Rites. I could not fault Cushing whom is class as usual, but I just could not dig the mashup of Dracula and kung fu. And what is with the vampires jumping up and down in thebackround?

Also, the vampire/zombie lackies of Dracula (whom when played by John Forbes-Richardson looked a bit like Christopher Lee, but with a bit too much makeup on) reminded me of Osorio's Blind Dead, even down the the slo-mo horseback riding. It is possible that this film was infleunced by the Templars, as 1974 also saw the release of the 4th and final Blind Dead film, The Night Of The Seagulls.

Hammer Horror Dracula Films:
    1. Horror Of Dracula (1958)
    2. The Satanic Rites Of Dracula (1973)
    3. Dracula: Prince Of Darkness (1966)
    4. Scars Of Dracula (1970)
    5. Dracula AD 1972 (1972)
    6. Brides Of Dracula (1960)
    7. Taste The Blood Of Dracula (1970)
    8. Dracula Has Risen From The Grave (1968)
    9. The Legend Of The 7 Golden Vapires (1974)

I may turn my attention to the Hammeer: Frankenstien films now. I still need to find a copy of Frankenstein And The Monster From Hell to complete the collection.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @MajorDSmythe

Impressive endeavor, sir. I enjoy a Hammer 'retrospective' too from time to time. Must say I find your list quite in agreement with my own, except for Rites which I would have positioned a bit lower muself.

Looking forward to your Frankenstein reviews, friend. As I stated before, I think Hammer did a better job with Frankenstein than with Dracula - overall. (As far as the Universal films of the 30s and 40s are concerned, Dracula tops Frankenstein in every respect for me but then the Universal Frankensteins are about the monster whereas the Hammer Frankensteins are about the doctor. Also, Peter Cushing -> 'nuff said.)

I'm sure you will find The Monster From Hell. I had no trouble finding my copy here in Belgium. In any case, sir, you need to watch this. It features Bernard Lee (!) and my favourite Hammer hottie, Madeline Smith. :x
    The Dark Knight Rises:

Easily my best film of the year. Topped The Avengers.

Why? I teared up, twice. I smiled the entire time. This, the last in the trilogy, was the funnest of the set. You have an electric opening, powerful score, fun characters in Catwoman and Fox, emotional characters in Bruce and Alfred, all kinds of backstories and backstories, and the best part is it's all woven perfectly.

Not to mention the action sequences, OH GOD THE ACTION SEQUENCES.

10/10, my favorite of the series.

Favorite, becuase the mood is lightened from TDK, and I can only watch the character be set up so many times. This one was fun, action-packed, and involving enough to force you to follow it, so you don't get lost, but not over-complicate things.

Plus, the ending is just brilliant. I hope
    Joseph Gordon Levitt goes on to be part of the Justice League tie in, and the possible new Batman/Nightwing series.
    edited July 2012 Posts: 1,575
    Star Trek (2009)
    Not being a trekkie i was suprised that it was quite a good film.
    7.5/10

True Grit (2010)
    Very good film. 8/10

Source Code (2011)
    Another good film. 8/10
    Well after seeing TDKR at the cinema and loving it, I realised there was only one Batman film I hadn't actually seen, Batman and Robin. I didn't really get into Batman until Begins came out so I kind of just missed this when it was released in the cinema, but everybody seems to hate it so when I saw the DVD I figured that I may as well find out why.

Waste of money. This should tell you all you need to know about the film.

It's full of gay innuendo, and stuff that's just plain dumb (bat credit cards?????, bat skates????). The best part of the film was Arny, who is hilarious with his "so bad they're good" puns. Oh, and Alicia Silverstone and Uma Thurman in spandex.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @001

Please use the edit button, sir. You just performed a triple post! That will be corrected this one time only.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    @Dimi - I just need Frankenstein And The Monster From Hell and i'm good to go. My usual supploer for R1 DVD's, have it listed on their site. B-) I've put my 2012 Bondathon on hold, while I had my Hammer:Dracula season. So while i'm waiting for FATMFH, i'll finish of Bonds TND through to QOS.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Get-The-Gringo-Mel-Gibson1.jpg

Great movie but not as heavy in the action that the box art makes it out to be. Was really happy to see Gibson in a role like this. It makes him look like a badass again.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    @001

Please use the edit button, sir. You just performed a triple post! That will be corrected this one time only.

Dimi, don't think of it as a triple post, instead think of it as a triple treat. :)

Midnight Express 1978

Remember this being released like almost yesterday. A quite powerful epic based on a true account (but grossly exaggerated) of one mans experience in a Turkish Jail. The music score by Giorgio Moroder has reached legendary status and remains as powerful to this day. Not a pleasant watch but some outstanding performances, especially by the late Brad Davis. Funny, tragic, and unforgettable all in one viewing experience

Not a movie for kids

midnight_express.jpg
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Dream House

A Brilliant psychological thriller starring Daniel Craig. It's a great mystery film that will have you asking questions and second guessing yourself.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Murdock wrote:
    Dream House

A Brilliant psychological thriller starring Daniel Craig. It's a great mystery film that will have you asking questions and second guessing yourself.

It appeared like any possible questions I had were given away in the entirety of the trailer, hence me refusing to watch it.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    Dream House

It appeared like any possible questions I had were given away in the entirety of the trailer, hence me refusing to watch it.

Yeah, I've decided to Avoid trailers for anything even Skyfall because I want to be surprised. However, I'd give Dream House a chance, I was even wrong about what I thought.
    This is what I'm getting from it:
    In some way, Craig killed his wife and children, and they are actually ghosts, and Craig is the one that was institutionalized or something.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    This is what I'm getting from it:
    In some way, Craig killed his wife and children, and they are actually ghosts, and Craig is the one that was institutionalized or something.

Your half right and half wrong. That's all I'm saying.
    @Murdock, fair enough. I think I had the same judgment on 'The Usual Suspects,' calling out a twist or the ending or something, and someone told me I was right and wrong, as I missed a big part of it, so maybe I'll check both of them out.
    @Creasy47 Good for you. You won't be disappointed...or will you? 8-X
    Super 8 (2011)
    Promises much but doesn't deliver. 5/10
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 1,310
    JCVD_Poster.jpg
    I have never enjoyed a Jean-Claude Van Damme movie until tonight. Van Damme gives, to me, an Oscar worthy performance in a very interesting and thrilling little film. For sure worth checking out. 8.5/10
    If you want to see a good Van Damme movie, you could do worse than check out 'Sudden Death', seriously, a good watch and eventful finale
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 1,310
    If you want to see a good Van Damme movie, you could do worse than check out 'Sudden Death', seriously, a good watch and eventful finale
    After watching JCVD, I'm almost compelled to re-watch some of his other stuff to see if I was missing anything!!! Timecop still sucked, though. I'll have to check out Sudden Death; I do remember seeing some of it on TV once, but I don't remember it too well.
    SJK91 wrote:
    After watching JCVD, I'm almost compelled to re-watch some of his other stuff to see if I was missing anything!!! Timecop still sucked, though. I'll have to check out Sudden Death; I do remember seeing some of it on TV once, but I don't remember it too well.

Watch Street Fighter the Movie. :D
    JCVD as Guile!

I wasn't that keen on JCVD (the film). If I had to compile a top ten of JCVD's films:

1. Hard Target
    2. Assassination Games
    3. Sudden Death
    4. Nowhere To Run
    5. Maximun Risk
    6. Second In Command
    7. The Order
    8. Derailed
    9. Timecop
    10. Universal Soldier
  • Bloodsport is easily my favourite Van Damme film.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I like the love for Assassination Games, Major. I really enjoyed that film too.
  • doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles
    What would happen if you took Escape From New York and basically ripped it off, but it would fine because it's set in space?

The answer is LOCKOUT. This film takes EFNY's premise, copies it almost verbatim, switches out the President for his daughter (cos its more interesting to rescuer a pretty blonde chick than Donald Pleasance) and puts the whole thing in space.

Don't think I didn't notice this, Mr. Besson! (yup, the sane Luc Besson who did District 13, in which a cop goes behind the wall of a lawless...oh, yeah. Escape From New York again.)

Anyway, this film is neither as good as D13 or EFNY (the latter it misses by some distance)...

HOWEVER! *saving grace alert!*

Guy Pearce's Snow swaggers in with so much wise-cracking anti-hero nilhilist-bravado that there are almost not enough "-" to go around. In short his character is quippier than James Bond, more self-centred than Clint's Man With No Name, cooler than prime-time John Mclane, and just generally as awesome and badass as Snake Plissken.

Yes, high praise. But deserved. Unfortunately, the rest of the film is a shambolic mess of bad scripting and CGI.

So, see this for Pearce who steals the whole bloody thing. Don't see it if you don't fancy hammering yet another nail into the coffin of Luc Besson's cool film history.
    watched Statham again last night in Blitz - good old London police chase film
    So 'Assassination Games' is good? I always want to check it out on Netflix Instant, but I decide against, it, chalking it up to another bad direct-to-DVD film.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote:
    So 'Assassination Games' is good? I always want to check it out on Netflix Instant, but I decide against, it, chalking it up to another bad direct-to-DVD film.

'Good', yes but maybe nothing more to most people. It's enjoyable and engrossing I found. Watch it and let us know your view @Creasy47.
    I think I will. I'd like to watch some movies tonight, so I may have to start with that.