Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @MajorDSmythe, she finally survived? About time, though it is a shame it wasn't in something I actually care about.

She is quite the sacrificial little lamb, isn't she? Though from what I have seen, her deaths only serve to end a film in what the director finds shocking and completely original, or to move a plot along sloppily with an increased body count.

With F13, I am torn. On one hand I think it works in the films favour that Jenna could have been the final girl (I thought so) and turns out to become one of Jasons victims, but on the other hand, I think Jenna should have been the final girl.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @MajorDSmythe, she finally survived? About time, though it is a shame it wasn't in something I actually care about.

She is quite the sacrificial little lamb, isn't she? Though from what I have seen, her deaths only serve to end a film in what the director finds shocking and completely original, or to move a plot along sloppily with an increased body count.

With F13, I am torn. On one hand I think it works in the films favour that Jenna could have been the final girl (I thought so) and turns out to become one of Jasons victims, but on the other hand, I think Jenna should have been the final girl.
    I kind of felt something with that death, surprisingly. The good thing about the newer slashers like this one is that I want most of the kids to just shut up and die anyway, so when Jason comes around swinging I am more than pleased to wave goodbye. But with Ms. Panabaker and the lovely Amanda Righetti, it hurt.
  • Silent Night Deadly Night.

This film is great in a so bad its good kinda way. It actually managed to beat Nightmare On Elm Street at the box office when it came out.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Total Recall - a loud, brash gci-centric remake that lacks all that made the original great. The only plus really is that Colin Farrell is a better actor than Arnie, but other than that I'll stick to the original. KB looks damn fine though!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    'Mindhunters'

It's a beautiful little gem of a smaller, under-the-radar film, with your typical direct-to-DVD casting: Val Kilmer, Christian Slater, and LL Cool J, though I haven't seen him in a film in quite some time. Anyway, the movie is about a bunch of FBI profilers in training, heading off to a remote island for their final training to see if they get the job or not. When they arrive, they realize a creative serial killer is among them, and they have to figure out the 'whodunit' aspect before he succeeds. If you're looking for an enjoyable 90-minute mystery, check it out.
    The Ghost Writer (2010)
    Good thriller 7/10
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (Blu-ray)
    GentlemenPreferBlondes1953.jpg
    A lovely comedy with my favorite actress at the helm. This film is a great way to spend the evening. So many memorable moments and comedic scenes, with a wonderful pairing of Marilyn and Jane Russell, who hit it off in real life as well. The banter between the two is great, and Jane as a sassy Dorothy Shaw is hilarious. There are some great song and dance numbers here, most notably Marilyn's famous performance of "Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend". When I get back after this week from college, I will watch There's No Business Like Show Business (also a Marilyn film) on Blu-ray as well.
    muppets wizard of oz - not as good as xmas carol
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited September 2012 Posts: 24,077
    Silent Night Deadly Night.

This film is great in a so bad its good kinda way. It actually managed to beat Nightmare On Elm Street at the box office when it came out.

In what sense? Opening nights or something? For the BO numbers I got are:

SNDN: $2,491,460
    ANOES: $26,319,961
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited September 2012 Posts: 14,473
    Bitch Slap (2009)

If you're into Grindhouse and/or exploitation films, then you might like this obscure film. It's basically about three babes looking for treasure out in the desert- and through flashbacks set in a surreal futuristic city, we discover that none of the girls are who they seem. The film features cameos by the four main actors in Hercules and Xena- which is a plus, but the silliness of the dialogue and plot make other films of this genre appear sophisticated. However, I was delighted to see a Bondian reference at one point. If you're just after a bit of mindless fun, gore, cheesy lines and more cleavage than you can poke a stick at, then this may be the film for you.

5/10
  • DarthDimi wrote:

Opening weekend.
    DarthDimi wrote:

Opening weekend.

Thanks, I didn't know that.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:

Opening weekend.

Thanks, I didn't know that.

I liked Silent Night, Deadly Night. And not in a so bad it's good kind of way.
    maltese-falcon-by-content-artofmanlinessdotcomw499h371.jpg
    I haven't seen this one in a while, but it was great to return to it again. A damn fine noir that really delivers. Great atmosphere, cinematography, and the cast is explosive. Bogie as Sam Spade is too cool for words. A man founded on the laws he enforces, but unflinching if he must sacrifice his own personal interests. Mary Astor plays a great femme fatale, and it hurts when the film ends after all the characters have been through, namely Sam. I always enjoy Spade more than Marlowe because he is so much more unpredictable and exciting. Philip still has that allure, but you know he would never do anything wrong. With Sam, it seems like that line could nearly have been crossed in certain instances. At the end of the day, Spade stays to his own ethics and is one of the quintessential noir styled characters still today. I highly recommend this one, though some of the dialogue is fast paced and the plot moving speedily at many times. I may watch the Big Sleep tonight, or wait. That one is a hard film for me to get through simply from how much I have to backtrack and make it clear what is going on. But maybe I should just follow the screenwriters and forget about it, focusing on Bogie and Bacall's onscreen romance.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The Hunt for Red October 1990
    A suspenseful cold war drama and the first of the Jack Ryan movies. Alec Baldwin and Sean Connery steal the show representing both the US and USSR. It's a great film.
    10/10
    edited September 2012 Posts: 24,077
    La Grande Bouffe

large_110812.jpg

While amusing, this film is also inevitably repulsive. Dark comedy triumphs but so does an obnoxious sense of slightly exploitative vulgarity. I perceive the film as downright nihilistic, even flirting with absurdism, while some folks seem to read a lot of existential self-study in it. But the fact remains that we follow four guys who are literally going to eat themselves to death, while snorting up some prostitutes and one willing teacher in order to satisfy their sexual lusts.

la-grande-bouffe-andrea-ferreol-and-philippe-noire.jpg

This 1973 French-Italian film can probably by analysed in various ways but before you embark on that mission I should warn you for certain moments of scatological comedy and slightly shocking food and women abuse. Even life itself is in some way objectified. Please dine before watching La Grande Bouffe, for you won't feel hungry afterwards.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Robin and Marian. Average film, great ending. Not that bad, if you have an hour or so to spare.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Murdock wrote:
    The Hunt for Red October 1990
    A suspenseful cold war drama and the first of the Jack Ryan movies. Alec Baldwin and Sean Connery steal the show representing both the US and USSR. It's a great film.
    10/10

I wish Ford had played Ryan in this one like he did for the sequels, I just think he's better suited to the character. Plus, him and Connery were great together in Indiana Jones 3, so they would've worked really well together in this.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Robin and Marian. Average film, great ending. Not that bad, if you have an hour or so to spare.
    That's with Sean, isn't it? An aged Robin Hood I do believe.
  • That ending is up there on my list of the greatest endings of all time, with Scarface and Inception.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Samuel001 wrote:
    That's with Sean, isn't it? An aged Robin Hood I do believe.

Yes, that's right. It gives all the proceedings great weight without a doubt. Audrey Hepburn is in it as well as Robert Shaw, so with those names, it may well be worth checking out.
    The Pink Panther (2006)
    The Pink Panther 2
    American History X
    Detroit Rock City
    The Doors
    When You're Strange
    The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
    The Invasion
    Dream House

And some other movies I forget to mention here.
    c25f5f5609a84414d0a8bb66200c5706.jpg
    It hasn't been long since I last saw it, but couldn't keep away any longer. Great film, great cast and acting, with Morgan Freeman being a noir type detective worthy of being in the ranks of Spade and Marlowe. Though I feel things near the end go too fast and there is some disappointment as it ends, everything around it is great. And it has one of the best opening credits ever seen in a film.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Lawless 2012

I'd say not anything particularly special everyone equips themselves in their roles with Hardy coming out as the highlight as the head of the family Bondurant, although a too brief Gary Oldman in pre Smiley mode stands out. Even Shia Belouf is fine. The problem doesn't really lie with the actors, the film is rather slow which is fine but nothing really compelling grabs you. Guy Pierce's villain is so OTT, evil and one dimensional you have no choice but to side with the brothers Bondurant despite them being murderous hill billy gangsters. A nice soundtrack by Nick Cave with a roster of guests including Mark Lanegan. Cave might be a talented musician but script writing is not a strength therefore Lawless just feels underwhelming and unfocused. Nice try but unlike Hardy's Forrest Bondurant no cigar!

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited September 2012 Posts: 14,473
    North by Northwest (1959)

I've been watching a lot of Hitchcock films lately, and I just finished North by Northwest. A superb film- very Bondian; some say it was a blueprint for Bond- and now I can see why, with the mature, yet simple plot, a beautiful set (antagonist's home) atop Mt. Rushmore, and a cropduster plane sequence more than likely inspiring the end of FRWL. Visually it seems to be ahead of its time for 1959, specifically in the opening credit sequence. As a Hitchcock film, it comes recommended by default- but this one stands out from the others I've watched most recently (Stage Fright; Strangers on A Train; Vertigo). Admittedly, this may be due to me knowing of it's success prior to watching it- or just because it oozes Bond so frequently. Watching Cary Grant as an ordinary guy in a bad situation using his head and never picking up a gun is quite refreshing to see. If you haven't seen it yet (like myself before tonight), put it on your list.

I'm tempted to give it a solid 10 because I'm still hyped about having just watched it. But for now, I'll give North by Northwest a rating of 9/10.
    QBranch wrote:
    North by Northwest (1959)

I've been watching a lot of Hitchcock films lately, and I just finished North by Northwest. A superb film- very Bondian; some say it was a blueprint for Bond- and now I can see why, with the mature, yet simple plot, a beautiful set (antagonist's home) atop Mt. Rushmore, and a cropduster plane sequence more than likely inspiring the end of FRWL. Visually it seems to be ahead of its time for 1959, specifically in the opening credit sequence. As a Hitchcock film, it comes recommended by default- but this one stands out from the others I've watched most recently (Stage Fright; Strangers on A Train; Vertigo). Admittedly, this may be due to me knowing of it's success prior to watching it- or just because it oozes Bond so frequently. Watching Cary Grant as an ordinary guy in a bad situation using his head and never picking up a gun is quite refreshing to see. If you haven't seen it yet (like myself before tonight), put it on your list.

I'm tempted to give it a solid 10 because I'm still hyped about having just watched it. But for now, I'll give North by Northwest a rating of 9/10.

I love it too. You can't miss EON's homage to North By Northwest in FRWL.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I watched 'The Lucky One,' 'Final Destination 5,' and 'The Five-Year Engagement' last night. 'The Lucky One' was the usual Nicholas Sparks formula, sans full depression. 'Final Destination 5' was boring trash, and 'The Five-Year Engagement' was very hilarious until it hit mediocre drama mode, which didn't excite me. Just started 'Saw VI,' and I'll follow that up with 'Safe.'
    edited September 2012 Posts: 13,978
    Urban Legend
    90's teen slasher in which the kills take the form of urban legends. It's not I Know What You Did Last Summer, but still good. I think Alicia Witt has become my next wife.

A Dangerous Method
    The more I see of Knightley, the more I grow to like her as an actress. This film only goes to further that statement.
    Final Destination 5 was utter trash, but hilarious trash. Sooooo predictably predictable, even for this series.
    casablanca-poster.jpg
    I could bear to wait any longer. I just had to see this masterpiece again. This is a story you can always go to, where the fear portrayed amongst the refugees and the love reciprocated between Rick and Ilsa will forever remain a powerhouse. The film shows the sorrowful efforts men and women go to to escape to Lisbon and onwards to America, and does it without regret. There is a real humanity in the film. The characters feel real, and act like most would in the dire situation the film stages. And at its core, a beautifully woven story of love no matter the obstacles blocking it, even if it means letting letting that special someone go. The film at its end may feel Pyrrhic, but it is truly a victory. A tale about a man working with nobody, and for nobody before becoming the hero we all hoped has never been clearer, and who better to play Rick than Bogie, a staple of those roles. This film is more than 70 years old, and yet you would be hard pressed to find a more beautifully shot film. The shadows and light are utilized with magnificent craft, and the close ups of characters take us deep into their souls, like you are there with Rick and Ilsa, with their hearts in that fight. Casablanca is simply a film everyone needs to see. Its message of rising against a seemingly superior evil and doing whatever it takes to help those you love is timeless. No romance has ever and will never beat the love Rick and Ilsa share. To put it simply, this film is everything you want in a film. It is wonderfully cast and acted, the cinematography and overall ascetic is exceptional, the romance is top form, it is funny, it is tragic, and oh so unforgettable. Just as the world will always welcome lovers, movie fans throughout the ages will never forget Casablanca, as time goes by.