Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I believe I saw the second or third sequel - I can't recall which, but I know I've seen it - and I enjoyed myself. I'll have to get around to watching those soon, as well, along with the original; it's been far too long.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 5,745
    About to watch the first Indiana Jones. Color me excited.
    The Bourne Legacy.

Ended up seeing it afterall. :) I found it entertaining even though it didn't have much of a plot. Atleast it wasn't almost one action scene after another like with QOS and the third Bourne film. It kept me more interested and focused because of this. I like Renner as an actor and he definitely comes across as tougher than Damon.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited September 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Harry-Brown-691x1024.jpg
    Holy hell, what a film. I have been eyeing this one for a while, and finally was able to find it. This film is the story of extreme gang terror and focuses on the man pushed too far. When he has had enough, Harry Brown fights back against the people who took everything he had left, leaving him nothing left to live for. Michael Caine is as always on top form, and plays an extremely compelling character in Harry. You feel worried for him in his journey, and the supporting cast adds to the cast of characters that at times work with and against Harry. This is a film everyone should see. The frightful gang totalitarianism that is showcased in this film is strikingly realistic, showing all the seedy goings on amongst those who find their power through the fear everyone holds for them. I don't want to give any more away, as this is a film you have to just plunge into and be shocked by some very intense content. This is an overlooked gem, and an important film that tells an engrossing story.
  • Not often I have time for a movie, but I saw most of Striking Distance very recently. Bruce Willis film in between the Die Hard releases. Not the worst way to spend a couple of hours and it's better than crap entries such as Hudson Hawk or The Last Boy Scout but I'd recommend it for Willis fans only above all else

Not often I have time for a movie, but I saw most of Striking Distance very recently. Bruce Willis film in between the Die Hard releases. Not the worst way to spend a couple of hours and it's better than crap entries such as Hudson Hawk or The Last Boy Scout but I'd recommend it for Willis fans only above all else

His name is Tom Hardy in that film! It'd be ironic to see a reboot with the actual actor.
  • Yes Tom Hardy. The very name of the recent actor brought to the the fore and has been talked about as a future James Bond after Craig. Still against the idea

I don't think they'll ever make a remake of it. It simply doesn't fit the profile of a movie franchise or even a sequel I feel. Simply a standalone half decent release from the early 1990s, and that's the way it should stay
    Yes Tom Hardy. The very name of the recent actor brought to the the fore and has been talked about as a future James Bond after Craig. Still against the idea

I don't think they'll ever make a remake of it. It simply doesn't fit the profile of a movie franchise or even a sequel I feel. Simply a standalone half decent release from the early 1990s, and that's the way it should stay

I wasn't serious.. just pointing out a potential irony.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 12,837
    The Sweeney.

A Sweeney film could've been so much better. The important thing to remember while watching this is: forget the original TV series. Just think of it as a brand new film. And it's a good one.

Ray Winstone is the highlight of the film, there's some great action (car chase and Trafalgar square shootouts are the highlights). and Plan B does well too.

It's a fun cop movie. But it's not The Sweeney. If they wanted to make it The Sweeney, they should've set it in the 70s (Life On Mars proved it can work) and kept it more faithful.

8/10
    Yes Tom Hardy. The very name of the recent actor brought to the the fore and has been talked about as a future James Bond after Craig. Still against the idea

I think Hardy could be great as Bond, but he's in the new Mad Max film. If that's successful, then there will hopefully/probably be more sequels, and I don't think EON will want him in two big franchises.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    M (1931)

379230_M-EineStadtSuchtIhrenMoerder-PeterLorre.jpg

A superb film! Well made and still, despite its age, a virtually 'modern' take on the issue of angry mob madness being almost worse than the crime itself, committed by one individual. Peter Lorre plays this risky part with tremendous charisma. This film is also beautifully shot and paced rather well. Sad that one always has to penetrate a thick wall of oppression when recommending an 'old', black-and-white film to modern audiences. This one, however, won't let you down.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    DarthDimi wrote:
    M (1931)

379230_M-EineStadtSuchtIhrenMoerder-PeterLorre.jpg

A superb film! Well made and still, despite its age, a virtually 'modern' take on the issue of angry mob madness being almost worse than the crime itself, committed by one individual. Peter Lorre plays this risky part with tremendous charisma. This film is also beautifully shot and paced rather well. Sad that one always has to penetrate a thick wall of oppression when recommending an 'old', black-and-white film to modern audiences. This one, however, won't let you down.

Exactly. I have only two friends that enjoy black and white classics like me. Sad, but other kids in my age bracket find them....wait for it...BORING! What a joke.

I'll have to add this to my list. I love Peter Lorre, especially in The Maltese Falcon and Casablanca. A great sinister play actor.
    edited September 2012 Posts: 40,859
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, nice to find someone else who has not only seen, but loved 'Harry Brown.' I, too, had my eye on that film for quite some time when it was a limited release in theaters, I believe, and when I had the first chance to rent it, I snagged it and loved it. Great cast, great film.

I love the one British villain in the film who was also in 'Prometheus,' though I'm not sure what his name was. He played the drugged out guy who was going to sell Harry the handgun.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, nice to find someone else who has not only seen, but loved 'Harry Brown.' I, too, had my eye on that film for quite some time when it was a limited release in theaters, I believe, and when I had the first chance to rent it, I snagged it and loved it. Great cast, great film.

I love the one British villain in the film who was also in 'Prometheus,' though I'm not sure what his name was. He played the drugged out guy who was going to sell Harry the handgun.

I hadn't heard of it at all until I saw poster art and said "I NEED TO SEE THIS!". I am glad I did. One of my favorite parts is when
    Harry walks out of his home at the end and makes his way to the tunnel.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, that is a great part. Or when
    he tricks the two guys in the den, and puts the knife through the one's hand, and I don't recall, but doesn't he pop him and nail the other guy as he runs away? The speech he gives to him as he is playing out is excellent.
    les_aventures_de_robin_des_bois,4.jpg
    I watched this yesterday because it was a feature of my Music in Film class at college. A great film, really fun while dealing with very strong content, much like Some Like It Hot in a way. Errol Flynn impressed me, and I would be willing to see his other swashbuckler films if anyone here could give me some recommendations. It was great to see Basil Rathbone outside of his Sherlock Holmes work, and as a sinister villain. Claude Rains plays a little precursor to his Renault in Casablanca. His Prince John is corrupt yet amusing at times, though I love Renault and don't root for John in this film. Some great music accompanies the rousing action, with some of the greatest choreographer action I have seen from the time period. I like that this film showed why Robin takes up his mission to stop John from the start, and follows through to a satisfying ending bout. I wish Errol made more Robin Hood films. A highly recommended romantic swashbuckler.
    If it wasn't for other engagements for the night, I would have finished the film. But, I am about 1/4 through 'Salvation Boulevard' so far and am enjoying every minute of it. Such a cast.
    Hi all. It has been a while since I updated this, and have since seen Wuthering Heights, Across The Pacific, Citizen Kane, and now I rewatched Casablanca just hours ago.

All were enjoyable. Wuthering Heights was a touching romance, and I really think Laurence Olivier would have made a great Bond back in the day. He reminds me of Timothy just in his facial structure and performance.
    EDIT: I just looked up comparison pictures for the two, and Tim was actually in a 1970s remake of Wuthering Heights! I never even knew, and it is so odd that when watching the original Tim first came to mind. Spooky.
    tumblr_lnhj8xiJwy1qi5uyeo1_400.png
    Heathcliff_g.jpg
    lo.jpg
    [img]http://withering_rose84.tripod.com/pictures/larry2-2.jpg[/img]
    Alarming look-a-likes those two.

Across The Pacific is a Bogie film reuniting him with his Maltese Falcon cast-mates Mary Astor and the wonderful Sydney Greenstreet. I never get the romance with Mary as I don't think she is alarmingly attractive in the slightest, but it's Bogie so who cares. The film is a tale about a man discharged from the army for a negatory act, and there is more to why he gets close to the other characters while traveling with them on a boat. The plot is riddled with twists and feels like a noir though it is a spy/war film. It garners many viewings to fully understand it, and the ending is rushed and messy due to the fact that John Huston had to leave the film to go on military service, leaving the ending up to the director put in his place, Vincent Sherman. But John took with him the script, so the ending we see is a last minute wrap up that shows. So close to being in the ranks of Casablanca, Sierra Madre, and Maltese Falcon in Bogie's filmography.

Citizen Kane was very interesting, and though I had the plot spoiled to my young ears around age 8, it was still moving and special. The film has to be respected for it wonderful visuals, and they match that of Casablanca, the film I find to be the best shot film I have ever seen. The shadows are wonderfully utilized, and the story is told in a unique way with great acting, direction, and dialogue. After watching this film it seems that with its reputation everyone expects you to suddenly have an instant opinion, but it is much too complex for that. Kane is a layered character, as are all the characters he interacts with and who tell their versions of him. I need to see this at least three more times to fully get the scope of the film, and then continue enjoying it for the rest of my life. I finally crossed out on my list the film many say film buffs must see.

And you all know how I feel about Casablanca- PERFECTION!!!
  • We watched almost the entire duration of The Third Man earlier today, not often we have time for a movie, but it's a timeless classic and fully justifies itself as one of the greatest film-noirs ever to grace the silver screen. The zither music may become a little irritating to some viewers after a while, but it's one reason for me why the movie works so well

Goodnight
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Marvel's "The Avengers" 2012

Just bought it today, I'm glad I did. Everything about this film is excellent. It's not some blind action movie, It's a story and character driven movie with spectacular visuals and excellent writing. I saw it in IMAX and was completely blown away. One of the greatest films of 2012 hands down and quite possibly the best Comic book film ever made. (I've yet to see dark knight rises so I can't completely make that judgement yet.) anyway, I loved it and it's musical score...bliss. Alan Silvestri has done it again! :D
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Not often I have time for a movie, but I saw most of Striking Distance very recently. Bruce Willis film in between the Die Hard releases. Not the worst way to spend a couple of hours and it's better than crap entries such as Hudson Hawk or The Last Boy Scout but I'd recommend it for Willis fans only above all else

Seriously Last Boy Scout is far superior to Striking Distance and is regarded as an early 90's classic directed by the late Tony Scott and written by Shane Black, it's better than a number of Willis films and has a sharp humorous edge to them, Striking Distance in comparison is the usual cookie cutter crap action thriller we'd have Seagal or Van Damme turning up in, I know I went to see it at the cinema.
    Vantage Point (2008)
    Some good car chase scenes but overall average. 6/10
  • Not often I have time for a movie, but I saw most of Striking Distance very recently. Bruce Willis film in between the Die Hard releases. Not the worst way to spend a couple of hours and it's better than crap entries such as Hudson Hawk or The Last Boy Scout but I'd recommend it for Willis fans only above all else

I've always quite enjoyed HUDSON HAWK...its one of those films that everyone says is crap but is a bit of a guilty pleasure...a bit like that AVENGERs film with Ralph Fiennes...and Sean Connery...
    We watched almost the entire duration of The Third Man earlier today, not often we have time for a movie, but it's a timeless classic and fully justifies itself as one of the greatest film-noirs ever to grace the silver screen. The zither music may become a little irritating to some viewers after a while, but it's one reason for me why the movie works so well

Goodnight

I myself have never understood the hype for The Third Man. Absolutely brilliant shots and the setting of Vienna is meant for noir, but other than that I found the plot to be a bit messy, though the convoluted factor is a staple of noir.
    Harry Lime was supposed to be some larger than life character, but that never really feels true once you see him in action, and his whole "stealing drugs and putting them out on the black market diluted and killing kids/others" thing was not convincing and felt unexplored completely.
    Joseph Cotten was good, and the last shot feels like a stinger. Definitely a fine noir, but one of the best? I don't know. This is one that I will have to see many times to fully see how much it stacks up. And who wants to watch a film that you understand completely in a first viewing? So, I guess that is a point in its favor. ;)
    Just watched 'Battleship' yesterday. Don't bother, it's pretty much 'Transformers' on the seas, with few scenes of Liam Neeson and many scenes of mediocre CGI.

Finishing up my second viewing of 'Safe House' with my girlfriend tonight. It was a very entertaining film the first time I saw it in theaters - some of the random CGI used in the car sequences took me out of the film - but other than that, it's quite enjoyable.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Night Of The Living Dead 3D: Re-Animation (2012)

N1.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1333310967701

Andrew Divoff & Jeffrey Combs in the same film. Just think about that for a moment, the Djinn & Herbert West as brothers...

This film is closer to the 2006 film than to Romero's series, though they do get a mention (Combs' character talks about zombie outtbreaks in 1968, 1978, 1985 & 1990. The 1990 outbreak being very similar to the '68 one only more gory). NOTLD3D:R isn't going to change the horror genre in any way, but it's worth sitting through this low budget run of the mill zombie film, just to see Divoff & Combs as brothers trying to control a zombie outbreak at the family funeral home.
    Watched Robin Hood with Russel Crowe last night, on TV. Nice movie, but one curiositty: Only at the end of the movie Robin the legend starts, cause by then Prince John declares him an outlaw. In that case Russel Crowe is a bit too old for Robin (he's forty or fifty something)

Ignoring this age problem I think Russel is great. He has charisma, is a leader. Allthough not very English. But as a movie it's entertaining.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 144
    Good fun. For all the family.
    frozen.jpg
    Holy hell, what a film. I have been eyeing this one for a while, and finally was able to find it. This film is the story of extreme gang terror and focuses on the man pushed too far. When he has had enough, Harry Brown fights back against the people who took everything he had left, leaving him nothing left to live for. Michael Caine is as always on top form, and plays an extremely compelling character in Harry. You feel worried for him in his journey, and the supporting cast adds to the cast of characters that at times work with and against Harry. This is a film everyone should see. The frightful gang totalitarianism that is showcased in this film is strikingly realistic, showing all the seedy goings on amongst those who find their power through the fear everyone holds for them. I don't want to give any more away, as this is a film you have to just plunge into and be shocked by some very intense content. This is an overlooked gem, and an important film that tells an engrossing story.

I liked him in Harry Brown. Nice movie.

There are actors who enhance or carry a film up high. One of them is the fine and great actor Michael Caine. No matter what kind of movie, he ranks 'em up! I never get tired of seeing him. In the Batman trilogy he was fantastic! He was there for the emotional factor and to make sure Bruce Wayne "kept his feet on the ground". He was the binding factor between him and Bruce's parents.

Actors who have amazing screenpresence!
    Sean Connery
    Roger Moore
    Michael Caine
    Morgan Freeman
    Russel Crowe
    Christopher Lee
    Max von Sydow
    Gene Hackman
    Robert Downey Jr.
    Donald Sutherland
    Clint Eastwood

and of course many others...
    Guns of Navarone & Force 10 from Navarone
    The 1st one is a classic must-have-seen-warmovie with Peck, Niven & Quinn, together with Were Eagles dare my favorite war adventure movies.

The 2nd Navarone movie is more of James Bond cast movie with an awesome Robert Shaw in the Peck-role, Fox in the Niven-role and Harrison Ford thrown in for good measure. It is a fairly good adventure war movie that does not rely on big actionscenes but on subtle actingscenes with some espionage and halftruths thrown in. Barbara Bach actually looks yummy in this movie and Kiel is once more the scarry dude.

Like most Alistair MacLean movies it depends on the tale and the misdirections in that tale.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 1,690
    Son of Pink Panther 4/6

Better than I thought , at least original concept unlike the 2 exploitations ("Curse" and "Trail") made after Sellers' death. I liked Begnini more than Steve Martin's portrayal. Lom is good as always and Davi has shades of Sanchez. Passable fare.

Chris Lloyd : "I was frozen today !" (Nostalgia Critic joke)