Star Trek (1966 - present)

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited July 15 Posts: 24,689
    STD final season maybe its best.
    I shouldn't have for budgeting reasons, but I still bought Star Trek I, II, and III on 4K with the Prime sale going on. I just couldn't resist and have been really wanting to go back again; all the original six movies are great comfort films for me. It's tough thinking of how I'd rank them definitely, but right now maybe II > III > VI > IV > I > V
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    2, 6, 4, 3, 1 and 5 in that order for me.
    2, 6, 4, 3, 1 and 5 in that order for me.

That’s a solid ranking. All I feel confident in is 2 at the top and 1 and 5 in order at the bottom. 3, 4, and 6 are all so different and so enjoyable to me.
    The biggest ding I give to 3 there’s literally no plot reason for Kirk to steal the Enterprise and head for Genesis. Why is he going there? He’s not even aware of the events that took place with Spock’s body not only being recovered but regenerated. Sarek only asked for Kirk to bring back both McCoy and Spock’s katra to Vulcan. Why does Kirk need the Enterprise for that? And why was McCoy looking to hire a transport to Genesis?

III really needed a rewrite to clean up some of this mess.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I shouldn't have for budgeting reasons, but I still bought Star Trek I, II, and III on 4K with the Prime sale going on. I just couldn't resist and have been really wanting to go back again; all the original six movies are great comfort films for me. It's tough thinking of how I'd rank them definitely, but right now maybe II > III > VI > IV > I > V

I bought all 10 Trek movies on 4K (TOS and TNG) they all look fantastic restored and remastered,. I managed to buy few of them when on offer, the sleeve designs for the disks I like a lot.
  • edited July 18 Posts: 12,406

I bought all 10 Trek movies on 4K (TOS and TNG) they all look fantastic restored and remastered,. I managed to buy few of them when on offer, the sleeve designs for the disks I like a lot.

Nice! I'm not sure if I'm going to collect beyond the original six or not yet; I do remember liking Generations and First Contact, but then the series hits a slump for me. I might at least try to revisit them all sometime, but yeah, I've admittedly always had a bias for the original crew that made it tough to enjoy other content as much. The style is a big deal too, though; I didn't like how actiony the newest movie timeline got.

Nice! I'm not sure if I'm going to collect beyond the original six or not yet; I do remember liking Generations and First Contact, but then the series hits a slump for me. I might at least try to revisit them all sometime, but yeah, I've admittedly alwoverall ays had a bias for the original crew that made it tough to enjoy other content as much. The style is a big deal too, though; I didn't like how actiony the newest movie timeline got.

Insurrection
    and Nemesis have grown on me over the years, the sound and picture of the upgrades really are very good, Goldsmith's scores have never sounded better.

I initially intended to buy the first 6 films then ended up buying them all, I bought 1 and sometimes 2 ST movies a month in 4K. The series has become my most watched 4K films in recent months.
    STAR TREK: SECTION 31 Official Teaser (2025)

This screams Star Trek., when I watched DS9 all those years ago when Section 31 were first introduced this was exactly what I envisioned. :^o
    At least we’re getting real Star Trek this October.

edited July 28 Posts: 24,689
    At least we’re getting real Star Trek this October.

I have not found the time to give Lower Decks another go though it does look like Star Trek compared to Section 31.

Section 31 may be the first Star Trek live action I never watch.
    I was only interested to see where they went with Yeoh’s character, but it looks like it’s set between seasons 1 and 2 of DISCO, which means this is all before Yeoh’s character got the character development. That makes me less interested.
    Stealing the Enterprise

My eyes welled up.

One of the greatest pieces of music in cinema.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Stealing the Enterprise

My eyes welled up.

OMG... my eyes welled up also. Horner was a genius, much like Goldsmith.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Stealing the Enterprise

My eyes welled up.

James Horner did triumphant well.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Stealing the Enterprise

My eyes welled up.

Better than well. He did it the BEST.
    I always preferred Goldsmith.
    edited July 29 Posts: 24,689
    Stealing the Enterprise

My eyes welled up.

Better than well. He did it the BEST.

He was the best, I need to listen to The Rocketeer today, The Flying Circus track is as good as it gets.
    I always preferred Goldsmith.

Goldsmith was the bar, ST:TMP and Capricorn One are incredible, his work on The Planet of the Apes films is amazing.
    edited July 29 Posts: 24,689
    Star Trek 8 First Contact - Borg Battle HD

The Borg 'Oh crap the Enterprise E just showed up'.

Star Trek: Picard - "Last Charge Of The Enterprise"

Enterprise D 'Hold my beer!'
    Star Trek SNW season 3

Oh dear.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Well, SNW is supposed to be a comedy, loosely based on the crazy storylines that were typical of the 1960ies. If done well, I can live with that. Anyway, this looks fun.
    Go to the Doctor Who thread for a bit of news.
    I am not keen on the way SNW treats Spock, they just continue to ridicule him.
    zebrafish wrote: »
    Well, SNW is supposed to be a comedy, loosely based on the crazy storylines that were typical of the 1960ies. If done well, I can live with that. Anyway, this looks fun.

Which I guess makes sense. “Those Old Scientists” was the most popular episode of S2, and probably of both seasons. So the marketing is just gonna lean onto the hijinks episode. Had “Ad Astra per Aspera" been the popular episode of the season, we’d likely be getting a very different showcase clip.

But yeah, as long as it’s fun. I’m not gonna clutch my pearls over this. Sometimes Trek just wants to have fun. It always makes me think of that moment in TNG where Data makes a sour face when Barclay is giving a really awful acting performance. It makes no logical sense Data would behave that way, but it’s funny to watch.

The Roddenberry Archive: Return to Tomorrow (with “Q”)

Stunning recreations.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    edited July 31 Posts: 4,334
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns , if I were still a boy, I would cry now. Some dreams do come true...

Next, I want a real model of the Enterprise to be brought to the ISS and released into orbit.
    edited August 3 Posts: 24,689
    I heard that a Star Trek comedy show is in the works, the irony does not escape me.
    edited August 3 Posts: 24,689
    zebrafish wrote: »
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns , if I were still a boy, I would cry now. Some dreams do come true...

Next, I want a real model of the Enterprise to be brought to the ISS and released into orbit.

OTOY and The Roddenberry Archive: have done remarkable work in preserving the heart of Star Trek.

---

Shatner is so good in ST3, l love the scene with the Commander of Star fleet, the look Kirk has staring into open space when knocked back I have had that a few times, we are going to do it anyway.

It really is testament to how great this film is, I always get excited when they steel the Enterprise, I saw this film 40 years ago and nothing has been diminished.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I've been working my way through the series and Voyage Home will always be my favorite Trek film.

1. Voyage Home
    2. Wrath of Khan
    3. Search for Spock
    4. Undiscovered Country
    5. Final Frontier
    6. The Motion Picture