The Wizarding World of Harry Potter and the Works of JK Rowling

12345679»

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited June 6 Posts: 8,313
    If I were JK I would have kept everything quiet on the potter front, not done the cursed child or the fantastic beasts films, and spent the last 10 years plotting out a new set of potter films, set when Harry's kid is at hogwarts. By now they could have announced the original cast is returning and the whole phenomenon of the early 2000's would basically be happening again.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou, but I now hear a new dog barkin'
    Just as an aside (not wanting to start a debate on this here), I can tolerate (though not necessarily share) Rowling's "prejudices" - which were absolutely mainstream and non-controversial not so long ago. I think that there is quite a difference to saying outright racist or sexist things. At least her opinions are no reason for "cancelling" her. Just saying.

My own favourite Harry Potter movies are the first two (Philosopher's/Sorcerer's Stone and Chamber of Secrets). I love all the others as well (though I find it questionable that they spread out the last book into two movies... reminds me of Peter Jackson splitting the single book The Hobbit into three films - didn't work either). But the initial instalments are for me what Harry Potter is about. Couldn't really sort the others.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I think JKR can have her opinion in the matter and I resent some of the actors who owe her their career for turning against her the way they did.

And even if I had an issue with her, I'd still be able to forget that while reading her books or watching the movies inspired on those books.

I do, however, wonder why FB has turned into such a messy thing. Too much going on, not enough tension?
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Just as an aside (not wanting to start a debate on this here), I can tolerate (though not necessarily share) Rowling's "prejudices" - which were absolutely mainstream and non-controversial not so long ago. I think that there is quite a difference to saying outright racist or sexist things. At least her opinions are no reason for "cancelling" her. Just saying.

My own favourite Harry Potter movies are the first two (Philosopher's/Sorcerer's Stone and Chamber of Secrets). I love all the others as well (though I find it questionable that they spread out the last book into two movies... reminds me of Peter Jackson splitting the single book The Hobbit into three films - didn't work either). But the initial instalments are for me what Harry Potter is about. Couldn't really sort the others.

I wholeheartedly agree, the second film in particular is my favourite. Those 2 feel like real cozy adventures inside Hogwarts Castle, whereas after a certain point it became about an overwhelming outside threat, and lost some of its charm.

I also agree that we live in supposedly free countries, and JK is entitled to her views. Free expression applies whether the views expressed are controversial in nature or not.

@DarthDimi Sadly I think the wizarding world is as connected to Harry Potter as Star Wars is to the Skywalker family.

Like I say, if I were JK I would have shut down all new Potter works after the films ended in 2010, and then begun work on the new books with harry as an adult and his son at hogwarts, planning everything out ahead of time. My worry is now, we might never see the original cast in a proper film again.

We all have our nickpicks with EON but they do a darn sight better job than these other folk of managing their properties, that's for certain.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited July 10 Posts: 24,053

I can't really make out what the plan is. Are they simply going to retell the entire HP saga, or will this series offer fresh, new story material? Either way, something says "too soon" to me. Not that long ago, we suffered through the Secrets of Dumbledore.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited July 10 Posts: 24,689
    DarthDimi wrote: »

I can't really make out what the plan is. Are they simply going to retell the entire HP saga, or will this series offer fresh, new story material? Either way, something says "too soon" to me. Not that long ago, we suffered through the Secrets of Dumbledore.

I think they are doing the entire saga again though in much more depth than the films, a lot from the books was omitted from the movies.

I am looking forward to the series, I was quite late to the films I only discovered the 3rd film when an ex girlfriend put it on and then I had to go back and watch the earlier chapters. Now I have a very nice Bluray Box set of the series.

Secrets of Dumbledore
    is the only film from the Potter universe I don't own it really was very disappointing, Tina not being in the film was a crime to cinema.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

I think they are doing the entire saga again though in much more depth than the films, a lot from the books was omitted from the movies.

I'm not sure how I feel about that. I've read the books, and yes, a lot of story material never made it into the films. On the other hand, I cannot imagine different actors in the roles, or a different look (or sound) than the films. Also, some parts of the books were faithfully adapted, and almost reproduced verbatim. If a TV series doesn't want to simply copy specific scenes from the films, it will have to change stuff, which would seem odd if the plan is to throw all the literary material on screen. It would likewise be odd if scenes from the films were just redone.

I'm more than anything else confused as to why anyone would want to adapt the Potter books so impossibly soon. It hasn't even been 15 years since Deathly Hallows pt. 2. And these films continue to sell well and find new fans. They are still about as fresh as when they came out. So what's the point? The film collection is perfectly satisfying. And whoever is looking for more, should read the books.