Last Bond Movie You Watched

Comments

The Pushkin/Bond moment is BRILLIANT..one of the best in the series,and Fleming would have loved that moment...@bain123
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited August 2016 Posts: 7,314
    It's fascinating how Dalton's two films can really divide some* fan opinions. Count me in the love TLD and loathe LTK camp.

*Yes, I know some of you love both. Bless your hearts!
  • barryt007 wrote: »
    TLD ....still boring ....another 2 hours lost trying to like it...nope...thats it ,done...bottom of the pile ,yes even below DAD .

For me, TLD is one of the best. It's a return to Fleming's Bond (Dr No, FRWL, OHMSS) after the comedy Moore years. I find it hard to believe it's in someone's bottom half, let alone at the bottom. Genuinely curious why you don't like it?
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    Well, it's well documented all over the place, including on this thread, why some of us have had or have a problem with it. You just have to go back and read. It's certainly on my lower half at this time.

You understand I can't traipse through 216 pages of reading. If I'm honest TLD is almost always high on purists lists. The fans of Moore slapstick might not like it. They still wish Rog was there to fill in the few scenes without his double.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    That's a stupid generalization to make.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I can see where this is going already....
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2016 Posts: 23,883
    It's been a while since I've seen a Bond film. I was hoping to take in a 'classic' tonight. I was leaning towards an old favourite, TSWLM. However all this TLD talk has convinced me to try that one instead. I'm hardly a purist, and Moore is my 2nd favourite Bond actor (close behind Connery), but I can appreciate a little Dalton fare from time to time.

Here goes.
    TLD

This showing went reasonably well. My opinion of the film hasn't changed much on account of it however. TLD still remains a frustrating film in many respects for me. It's excellent in some parts, most notably the pretitles and during the earlier bits in Bratislava, at the UK safehouse, and in Vienna. However, I still find the Afghanistan sequences quite boring. The Aston chase doesn't quite fit in either, as the gadget laden car seems more suitable for a Moore film (and was done much better in TSWLM & GF). I also still can't find much to like in Maryam D'abo's whiney Milovy, and the villains are as dull as dishwater.

Dalton is certainly impressive in his debut, and nails some sequences (the Pushkin interrogation, the Saunders scenes, at the safehouse), but is less comfortable with the humour than his predecessor. Barry's score remains a highlight, as is John Rhys-Davies' Pushkin, Thomas Wheatley's Saunders, & Art Malik's Kamran Shah.

The action isn't really all that 'tight' either, which is strange for a Glen film. Some sequences (including the finale at Whittaker's lair) aren't all that tense. I still think LTK is a much better and more coherent Dalton effort.

My detailed review from a pre-Spectre bondathon pretty much still reflects my current thinking on this film:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/491153/#Comment_491153
    It's decent enough, but I think it's the weakest debut Bond film from all the actors
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    barryt007 wrote: »
    LTK was before its time....and it had to fight in '89 :Batman,Lethal Weapon 2 ,Indiana Jones....the timing and promo was crap.

But the good thing is WE get to appreciate it ,and i still maintain if Tim got a 3rd run at Bond he would have nailed it ,but hey ho.......i have watched both films tonight,my first ever Dalton Bond double,and i wont be doing that again.

I have have gone from depressed and bored to excited and rooting for my British hero...you know the films...

I think what hurts LTK the most are the Florida scenes. It just had this miami vice/Hawaii 5-0 feel to it and had the film taken place in some other sun-kissed locale it may have fared better. The film is actually very good and criminally underrated but the less time Bond is stateside the better.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I feel a Daltonathon coming on!
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Sorry but much as I have tried to like it, LTK just doesn't work for me. It's absolutely dire and devoid of the finesse and elegance closely associated with the Bond films.

LTK has a horrible sub Steven Seagal storyline that has no depth and stays on one level throughout it's frankly not very interesting journey.

What really bugs me with LTK is that Bond is dedicated to his American friends yet seems inexplicably detached from Q and M, his British colleagues.

Then the fact that the villain has a grand total of 1 second to realize why Bond has been hounding him. As a result there is no satisfying emotional payoff. The audience at least deserves something of a satisfying coda after all the violence and death throughout Bonds personal revenge.

Coming after the excellent TLD (Best Bond film since the 60's at the time) LTK was a major let down. I think the makers dropped the ball big time considering the potential was there for a really cracking 007 thriller with an actor who was actually playing Bond the way Fleming wrote him. Instead we had to wait another 15 years for a serious Fleming Bond with CR.

LTK is a dull contrived mess that looks and feels like a TV movie. Like a wart on the backside of the Bond series.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 11,189
    Sorry but much as I have tried to like it, LTK just doesn't work for me. It's absolutely dire and devoid of the finesse and elegance closely associated with the Bond films.

LTK has a horrible sub Steven Seagal storyline that has no depth and stays on one level throughout it's frankly not very interesting journey.

What really bugs me with LTK is that Bond is dedicated to his American friends yet seems inexplicably detached from Q and M, his British colleagues.

Then the fact that the villain has a grand total of 1 second to realize why Bond has been hounding him. As a result there is no satisfying emotional payoff. The audience at least deserves something of a satisfying coda after all the violence and death throughout Bonds personal revenge.

Coming after the excellent TLD (Best Bond film since the 60's at the time) LTK was a major let down. I think the makers dropped the ball big time considering the potential was there for a really cracking 007 thriller with an actor who was actually playing Bond the way Fleming wrote him. Instead we had to wait another 15 years for a serious Fleming Bond with CR.

LTK is a dull contrived mess that looks and feels like a TV movie. Like a wart on the backside of the Bond series.

I wouldn't go that far, but I do agree that there is something off about the film. Frankly, a lot of it just feels a bit cheesy. I don't think the revenge plot set-up is done all that well and i'm mixed on Dalton's performance in the film. He has some really good moments like outside Felix's house but, at other times, his acting seems a little mannered ("where's Sanchez!").
    BAIN123 wrote: »

I wouldn't go that far, but I do agree that there is something off about the film. Frankly, a lot of it just feels a bit cheesy. I don't think the revenge plot set-up is done all that well and i'm mixed on Dalton's performance in the film. He has some really good moments like outside Felix's house but, at other times, his acting seems a little mannered ("where's Sanchez!").

Mabey I went a bit far with that quote but the film actively annoys me!

It feels to me like Dalton is pushing his performance in some scenes. I can't help but think that Connery or Craig would play the same moments differently.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Watch one ,and comment 'while you watch' on my new thread peeps !!...TLD is rising in my list and it helps to comment to everyone about things u feel and see...

Let s make a thread like that for our first cinema watch of Bond 25. We can even ask those around us what they think of , basically, everything.

It feels to me like Dalton is pushing his performance in some scenes. I can't help but think that Connery or Craig would play the same moments differently.

His performance is horribly forced and it seems as if he's trying too hard at times.

A shame as his performance in TLD is one of my favourite performances by any actor as Bond.

His performance is horribly forced and it seems as if he's trying too hard at times.

A shame as his performance in TLD is one of my favourite performances by any actor as Bond.

I feel a little unsure about his performance at times too - not just in LTK to be honest (though I do think he's better in TLD). Then again i'm no actor.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Well, it's well documented all over the place, including on this thread, why some of us have had or have a problem with it. You just have to go back and read. It's certainly on my lower half at this time.

You understand I can't traipse through 216 pages of reading. If I'm honest TLD is almost always high on purists lists. The fans of Moore slapstick might not like it. They still wish Rog was there to fill in the few scenes without his double.

I do hope that you are not saying that i am not a purist ,and,i'm a fan of Moore slapstick...let me know eh ?

edited August 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Szonana wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    Szonana wrote: »
    YOLT and TND.

2 thrilling adventures where Bond most stop WW3 before it starts. YOLT is as big as they come, the soundtrack is fantastic, the sets are off the charts, the locations are gorgeous. The first hour totally flies by, so much stuff happening. The pace dies down a bit in the 2nd half, but it is always a pleasure watching Connery not giving any damns about bullsh*t happening around him. The climax is spectacular, people from both sides flying around with explosions all over the place.

As for TND, one of my favorites. Brosnan is a pure badass here, he brings a huge level of destruction everywhere he goes, while not forgetting to have fun and wise crack jokes. The soundtrack is awesome, with the Bond theme played full blast almost every 5 minutes. The pace of the film is tremendous, not more than 8 minutes of 'calm' between each action scenes. Jonathan Pryce is a joy to see, chewing the scenery and hamming it up at every chance he gets.

Very nice double feature the similar story made in in different times and my two favorite Bond actors.
    Didn't Brosnan here reminded you to Connery?

Anyway it's refreshing reading nice things about Pierce sometimes i feel like Brosnan fans are in danger of extinction hehe.
    I hope Brosnan fans don't become extinct, and I doubt it will happen, so rest assured.

I'm afraid Brosnan in TND doesn't remind me of Connery in YOLT, although there is a similarity to the stories (and to TSWLM). He reminds me of Brosnan.

You raise an interesting point however. I have contended that SP reminds me very much of TND, and both films made me sour (to a degree) on the respective actors. I've often wondered why, and have speculated previously that it was because both the films were too predictable. However, having read your post I now believe it's because both films have scenes that are very similar to previous scenes in other films, and so a direct comparison of the respective actors to their illustrious predecessors took place in my mind readily while watching both. In both cases, the current actors came up woefully short (for me) in comparison.

So, I think from my perspective, I would prefer future actors not be put in this position, but rather, be in more original situations and premises, like Brosnan was in GE, and like Craig was in his first three.

Well more than Pierce Being similar to Connery in that exact same film( You only live Twice) pierce's smile and the way he conquers the ladies remind me to Sean.

especially in Tomorrow never dies The love scene with Paris the way he takes of her dress it's quite similar to the love scene with Helga in You only live twice. Hehe funny i first didn't mean the comparisons in those two films but my example ended up comparing those films( Tomorrow never dies and you only live twice)

For me Pierce is always a constant reminder to Sean but a little more gentle and adapted to the 90s.

anyway another similarity is how is their confrontation with Elektra and Tatiana when Bond thought thier respetive ladies were traitors.

Look how they do change from sweet and gentle to completely agresive and serious when it comes to ask them what they know or aksing them to tell the truth the only difference is that Tatiana was telling the truth but Elektra lied big time.

you also make a great point on how giving a certain actor similar scenes to his predecessors is not such a great idea since it could like bad copies instead of an homage.

For example some claim Criag looked a bitt rapey in Spectre with Bellucci but this more inssistence approach of seduction was applauded when Sean did it in Goldfinger or the playful spanking in From Russia with love.

What may work for one actor doesn't work for the other.
    After our discussion yesterday, I came across a youtube video of Rog discussing OP in 1983. He comments on the differences in approach between Sean and he, and also says something interesting about how Cubby and he chose, at the beginning, not to have him say some things that were associated with Sean, in order to avoid direct comparisons between the two actors. He uses the "shaken not stirred" example below (which I have extracted from youtube and 'cut').

I am now quite convinced that these 'too similar' moments are instrumental in negatively impacting my impression of Brosnan and Craig in TND & SP respectively. They just don't quite live up to what has come before when in similar situations and saying similar things for me.

http://www.tubechop.com/watch/8296813
    Birdleson wrote: »

I do hope that you are not saying that i am not a purist ,and,i'm a fan of Moore slapstick...let me know eh ?

I don't know, but ranking TLD so lowly suggests you are not. The Blaydon safehouse, sniper scene, murder of Saunders, pushkin interrogation, cargo net fight are all classic Bond. Whereas schoolgirls beating up a karate school, slapstick henchmen dropping bricks on their feet, tarzan yells are not.

Dalton wanted to go back to Fleming, and that's clear when you watch TLD. I see the main complaint is that Afghanistan section is boring. While the previous part is better, there's still much to enjoy. I will admit though the Whittaker climax is poor, reminiscent (though not as bad) of Nic Nac's fight in TMWTGG.
    Hmmmmm.....im sure you know best after 6 posts...thanks for letting me know im not a purist and am a Moore slapstick fan,its good to find new things out every day...i bow to your superior intellect.
    Hmmmmm.....im sure you know best after 6 posts...thanks for letting me know im not a purist and am a Moore slapstick fan,its good to find new things out every day...i bow to your superior intellect.

The first words of my post were 'I don't know'.

The first words of my post were 'I don't know'.

Of course...but the rest kind of contradicted that ,dont you find ? ...but thats fine,its good to know that nearly 40 years of Bond knowledge and helping to create this website from the old one ,and being an 'original' ,i can still learn that im not a purist and i am a Moore slaptstick fan,so thanks.

• I see you're determined to fall out, so I won't pursue it.
    most thoughtful.
  • Just to say you can be a Bond fan but not be a purist. Your 40 years experience is irrelevant. I've observed over the years that TLD is almost always high on purists list. Finally we had an actor who wanted to go back to Fleming.
    Just to say you can be a Bond fan but not be a purist. Your 40 years experience is irrelevant. I've observed over the years that TLD is almost always high on purists list. Finally we had an actor who wanted to go back to Fleming.

Totally agree....i'm a Bond fan and not a purist..noted,and thanks again.

• MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    The newbies always know best.
  • The newbies always know best.

I'm new to this forum, not to Bond. As Sherlock Holmes once said 'the distinction is clear'.