Last Bond Movie You Watched

Comments

• MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Sure, but you're quick to judge people's preferences. But again, you know best.
  • Sure, but you're quick to judge people's preferences. But again, you know best.

If you read my posts you will see I did no such thing.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Well, it's well documented all over the place, including on this thread, why some of us have had or have a problem with it. You just have to go back and read. It's certainly on my lower half at this time.

You understand I can't traipse through 216 pages of reading. If I'm honest TLD is almost always high on purists lists. The fans of Moore slapstick might not like it. They still wish Rog was there to fill in the few scenes without his double.

I do hope that you are not saying that i am not a purist ,and,i'm a fan of Moore slapstick...let me know eh ?

I don't know, but ranking TLD so lowly suggests you are not. The Blaydon safehouse, sniper scene, murder of Saunders, pushkin interrogation, cargo net fight are all classic Bond. Whereas schoolgirls beating up a karate school, slapstick henchmen dropping bricks on their feet, tarzan yells are not.

Dalton wanted to go back to Fleming, and that's clear when you watch TLD. I see the main complaint is that Afghanistan section is boring. While the previous part is better, there's still much to enjoy. I will admit though the Whittaker climax is poor, reminiscent (though not as bad) of Nic Nac's fight in TMWTGG.

The climax of TLD is the plane cargo net fight and Bond blowing up the bridge.

The Whitaker scene is an epilogue.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Right.
  • barryt007 wrote: »
    Well, it's well documented all over the place, including on this thread, why some of us have had or have a problem with it. You just have to go back and read. It's certainly on my lower half at this time.

You understand I can't traipse through 216 pages of reading. If I'm honest TLD is almost always high on purists lists. The fans of Moore slapstick might not like it. They still wish Rog was there to fill in the few scenes without his double.

I do hope that you are not saying that i am not a purist ,and,i'm a fan of Moore slapstick...let me know eh ?

I don't know, but ranking TLD so lowly suggests you are not. The Blaydon safehouse, sniper scene, murder of Saunders, pushkin interrogation, cargo net fight are all classic Bond. Whereas schoolgirls beating up a karate school, slapstick henchmen dropping bricks on their feet, tarzan yells are not.

Dalton wanted to go back to Fleming, and that's clear when you watch TLD. I see the main complaint is that Afghanistan section is boring. While the previous part is better, there's still much to enjoy. I will admit though the Whittaker climax is poor, reminiscent (though not as bad) of Nic Nac's fight in TMWTGG.

Yeah, that's a good way of thinking about it. Still, the rest of the film deserved better. I heard they were going to make it more elaborate with lasers etc
    barryt007 wrote: »

Yeah, that's a good way of thinking about it. Still, the rest of the film deserved better. I heard they were going to make it more elaborate with lasers etc

What Whitaker with a laser gun? Sounds a bit silly....
    Well I'm a Dalton fan, and love both his films. Maybe because they are both different in tone (I also love CR and QOS, same reason!) Both though are Flemingesque imho. TLD, I re-read the short story before I watched it recently, and the film entertains me every single time! Dalton is fantastic, and I always liked the villains, Koskov and Necros, and I much prefer Joe Don Baker here as Whitaker (Love that final shootout with Bond btw) than that annoying buffoon Wade he played in Brossas efforts! Daltons relationship with Kara was the most believable since OHMSS, and as I've said elsewhere the Afghanistan scenes do slow it down, but most if not all Bond movies have a slow section!
    LTK was without doubt ahead of its time, and I appreciated it then and now! It holds up really well, a good story with an excellent Bond, and one of the best villains in the series, and thrilling action sequences. It has aged far better than the over-rated and dull GE which came 6 years later!
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 382
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Well I'm a Dalton fan, and love both his films. Maybe because they are both different in tone (I also love CR and QOS, same reason!) Both though are Flemingesque imho. TLD, I re-read the short story before I watched it recently, and the film entertains me every single time! Dalton is fantastic, and I always liked the villains, Koskov and Necros, and I much prefer Joe Don Baker here as Whitaker (Love that final shootout with Bond btw) than that annoying buffoon Wade he played in Brossas efforts! Daltons relationship with Kara was the most believable since OHMSS, and as I've said elsewhere the Afghanistan scenes do slow it down, but most if not all Bond movies have a slow section!
    LTK was without doubt ahead of its time, and I appreciated it then and now! It holds up really well, a good story with an excellent Bond, and one of the best villains in the series, and thrilling action sequences. It has aged far better than the over-rated and dull GE which came 6 years later!

Good to see another Dalton fan. I think you've hit upon the key word - Flemingesque. After a decade of the Moore films with his, err, unique take on the character, some people couldn't handle Dalton's back to Fleming approach.

EDIT: what do you think about Dalton continually hitting Whitakers small shield. Surely a black mark against it?
    I'm not entirely convinced LTK holds up all that well I'd say it's very much "of" it's time and has too many 80s aspects.

TLD holds up better and, as others have said, has a more "classic" aspect.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    I'm not entirely convinced LTK holds up all that well I'd say it's very much "of" it's time and has too many 80s aspects.

Yeah think TLD has aged a lot better than LTK, which was not so much ahead of it's time as a mis-step for the series and very 80's.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 11,189
    BAIN123 wrote: »

Yeah think TLD has aged a lot better than LTK, which was not so much ahead of it's time as a mis-step for the series and very 80's.

Even the man himself has apparently said he doesn't understand the fan appreciation for LTK.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Neither films have aged any worse than they should have. The 1970's films have aged worse, but they have a few years on the two Dalton films. And to come the other way, Goldeneye looks it's age, and then some. It's hard to believe that it is only 2 years older than Tomorrow Never Dies.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    If you really want to dissect a Bond movie the next time you watch one, do what I do and just have a laptop handy and type up your thoughts on anything you want as you watch. It's very entertaining, jotting down everything from the biggest scenes to the shortest lines and adding my thoughts alongside them.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Finally continued my Bondathon which I started in February/March.

Watched SKYFALL in a sleepless night this week.

Skyfall could easily be the greatest Bond movie ever but Bardem ruins it, completely.
    Worst overacting, pain faces and death scene ever.
    It's borderline parody comedy. Most of his ridiculous dialogue (rat talk, mommy talk) as well.

Imagine someone like Mads Mikkelsen had played Silva.
    All Bardem can do is look funny in wigs.

Too bad. This way SF will forever remain at the bottom of my list.

The most ridiculous escape in movie history up to that subway crashing through the floor could even be forgiven if someone actually capable of acting had played the part.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Silva was one of the weak parts. Le Chiffre was a much better villain. Agree.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I have to say that I love Bardem's Silva. I can't wait for him to show up whenever I watch the film. A return to a little 'campiness' which is part of the Bond film tradition (all the way back to Lotte's Krebb I would say).

I prefer Le Chiffre as well, but Silva is great, as is Greene.
    The weakest villain for me ,unfortunately and i hate to say this,is Blofeld...compared to Le Chiffre ,Greene,and Silva.....well...enough said.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited August 2016 Posts: 9,020
    Accepted. Charles Gray may be a tiny little bit worse than Bardem. But at least that fit the tone of the movie.
    edited August 2016 Posts: 23,883
    GE

I last watched this in early May, but discussion of Martin Campbell on various threads and the importance of competent direction for the next Bond film compelled me to revisit it tonight.

It was an outstanding experience, as it always is. I just love this film, and I believe it gets better with age. Sure, some scenes are a little dated, but the performances by the supporting cast, the sheer flair inherent in the film and the Bondian style more than make up for that. It has a campiness to it (performances & dialogue) that I enjoy. Also, the colours and scenes pop nicely on blu ray. In particular, the Severnaya interior scenes when Orumov and Xenia steal the Goldeneye are still crisp.

Brosnan stood out for me this time, and in a positive way. After watching Dalton's debut in TLD yesterday, I have to say that I much prefer Brosnan in GE (controversial opinion perhaps..). He is super cool in this film, and while he does overdo the acting in a self conscious way in some scenes (particularly at MI6 with Q & especially with MP), there is no denying he makes a stylish Bond here. Calm, collected, dapper and unflappable, in contrast to Dalton's slightly more animated & harried approach. There is very little hint of 'Brosnanisms' or the legendary 'pain face'. I expected it when Trevelyn was ostensibly killed in the pretitles, but instead Brosnan shows his distress in a very restrained Bondian fashion. The only time it makes an appearance is when he's being squeezed to death by Xenia, and that's quite understandable given the circumstances. Campbell did a fine job keeping Brosnan in check here, and I wish he had played Bond like this during the rest of his tenure. If he had, he might have easily rivaled Moore as my #2 Bond actor, rather than sitting ignominiously at the bottom of the pile (5 or 6 depending on my mood) as he does now.

Scorupco is just incredible and I couldn't take my eyes off her tonight. From the opening scene with Boris to the final clinch with Brosnan just prior to Serra's travesty of a song, she's mesmerizing. She's an excellent actress. I love her character's spark & initiative too. Such a step up from whiny Kara & Pam from the Dalton period. Famke is another standout. She brings Xenia Onatopp to life. Her beauty and cinematic charisma is also apparent from that first now iconic experience in the Ferrari in Monaco. Speaking of that chase, I wonder how much it cost? Surely less than the one in SP, and yet it's far more thrilling and scenic, even today. Gottfried John and Sean Bean own their scenes, and are pitch perfect. I believe Bean was one of the younger adversaries in a Bond film at the time, and his relative youth makes for a more appealing conflict.

I think the finale is one of the best, if not the best since the great Ken Adam left the series. The Janus HQ is stylish and Bondian, and the conflict between 006/007 develops nicely to an excellent, visceral fight atop the satellite. I'd say it's the best one since FRWL (although since topped by the CR stairwell encounter).

Special mention must go to Eric Serra. I know he gets slammed here, but I really enjoy his score for the film. It fits like a glove, and has a modern, industrial sound which I find fresh even today. I also like the 'chanting' which underpins the Russian scenes and even enjoy the often denigrated 'Ladies First'.

Anyway, this was a great viewing experience. Such a shame that it all went downhill from here, after such a promising start. Martin Campbell, thank you sir for one of my best cinematic experiences, and a film that keeps on giving.

My previous comments from when I watched it in May are below for anyone who's interested.

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/590304/#Comment_590304
  • Watched YOLT tonight in celebration of Connery's birthday, albeit a few days late.

It's a movie that doesn't make a lick of sense, but that's mostly because it's not in the business of making sense. From Bond's faked death to SPECTRE's rocket launching scheme, there's not a minute that adds up logically nor an iota of regular plot development. Fortunately, the movie is brisk, shiny, and stylish enough to make the viewer forget most of these lapses. The fight on the Kobe docks is great, as is the finale, and the helicopter magnet and Little Nellie are instantly memorable.

Unfortunately, Connery was bored to tears by this point and clearly mails in his performance. The decision to kill off Aki weakens the movie, because Bond spends all his time building a relationship with her only to have a ride in the hay with Kissy. Pleasence's Blofeld is iconic, but his line readings are really wonky when he has to emote. His regular voice works well, though, so it's not all bad. Helga Brandt is an obvious ripoff off Fiona Volpe, but she does the job well. Tiger Tanaka is also a charismatic ally, if not up to the standard of Kerim Bey.

All in all it's a perfectly middling Bond, slotting in between TLD and TND on the old Bond ranking. It also shades TB by virtue of being significantly less dull, although the gap has been narrowing lately.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    bondjames wrote: »
    Szonana wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    Szonana wrote: »
    YOLT and TND.

2 thrilling adventures where Bond most stop WW3 before it starts. YOLT is as big as they come, the soundtrack is fantastic, the sets are off the charts, the locations are gorgeous. The first hour totally flies by, so much stuff happening. The pace dies down a bit in the 2nd half, but it is always a pleasure watching Connery not giving any damns about bullsh*t happening around him. The climax is spectacular, people from both sides flying around with explosions all over the place.

As for TND, one of my favorites. Brosnan is a pure badass here, he brings a huge level of destruction everywhere he goes, while not forgetting to have fun and wise crack jokes. The soundtrack is awesome, with the Bond theme played full blast almost every 5 minutes. The pace of the film is tremendous, not more than 8 minutes of 'calm' between each action scenes. Jonathan Pryce is a joy to see, chewing the scenery and hamming it up at every chance he gets.

Very nice double feature the similar story made in in different times and my two favorite Bond actors.
    Didn't Brosnan here reminded you to Connery?

Anyway it's refreshing reading nice things about Pierce sometimes i feel like Brosnan fans are in danger of extinction hehe.
    I hope Brosnan fans don't become extinct, and I doubt it will happen, so rest assured.

I'm afraid Brosnan in TND doesn't remind me of Connery in YOLT, although there is a similarity to the stories (and to TSWLM). He reminds me of Brosnan.

You raise an interesting point however. I have contended that SP reminds me very much of TND, and both films made me sour (to a degree) on the respective actors. I've often wondered why, and have speculated previously that it was because both the films were too predictable. However, having read your post I now believe it's because both films have scenes that are very similar to previous scenes in other films, and so a direct comparison of the respective actors to their illustrious predecessors took place in my mind readily while watching both. In both cases, the current actors came up woefully short (for me) in comparison.

So, I think from my perspective, I would prefer future actors not be put in this position, but rather, be in more original situations and premises, like Brosnan was in GE, and like Craig was in his first three.

Well more than Pierce Being similar to Connery in that exact same film( You only live Twice) pierce's smile and the way he conquers the ladies remind me to Sean.

especially in Tomorrow never dies The love scene with Paris the way he takes of her dress it's quite similar to the love scene with Helga in You only live twice. Hehe funny i first didn't mean the comparisons in those two films but my example ended up comparing those films( Tomorrow never dies and you only live twice)

For me Pierce is always a constant reminder to Sean but a little more gentle and adapted to the 90s.

anyway another similarity is how is their confrontation with Elektra and Tatiana when Bond thought thier respetive ladies were traitors.

Look how they do change from sweet and gentle to completely agresive and serious when it comes to ask them what they know or aksing them to tell the truth the only difference is that Tatiana was telling the truth but Elektra lied big time.

you also make a great point on how giving a certain actor similar scenes to his predecessors is not such a great idea since it could like bad copies instead of an homage.

For example some claim Criag looked a bitt rapey in Spectre with Bellucci but this more inssistence approach of seduction was applauded when Sean did it in Goldfinger or the playful spanking in From Russia with love.

What may work for one actor doesn't work for the other.
    After our discussion yesterday, I came across a youtube video of Rog discussing OP in 1983. He comments on the differences in approach between Sean and he, and also says something interesting about how Cubby and he chose, at the beginning, not to have him say some things that were associated with Sean, in order to avoid direct comparisons between the two actors. He uses the "shaken not stirred" example below (which I have extracted from youtube and 'cut').

I am now quite convinced that these 'too similar' moments are instrumental in negatively impacting my impression of Brosnan and Craig in TND & SP respectively. They just don't quite live up to what has come before when in similar situations and saying similar things for me.

http://www.tubechop.com/watch/8296813

If I applaud something to Roger is how he looked thecway to not be compared to Sean so even if im not crazy about Moore his style. The comparisons never came that strong.

• pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I had fun watching Diamonds Are Forever tonight. I find myself appreciating it more and more as of late. It continues to move up in the rankings. My first big change of the year, actually.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 12,416
    DAF in a way is the best example of my love for the Bond series. It ranks as one of my least favorites, but it's still a highly entertaining film, despite its shortcomings. I agree some of it isn't so great such as the climax, the buggy chase, and for me the Blofeld, but there's still so much to like about it - Mr. Wint and Mr. Kidd, the elevator fight, Connery being cool as Bond, etc.

In summary: Even when they're highly flawed, Bond films are nearly always highly entertaining and enjoyable.
    The moon buggy chase didn't even bother me tonight. Just goes to show how much your mood can impact a particular viewing. The oil rig is always disappointing though...

Yes, as @FoxRox pointed out, there is much to enjoy here, despite the well known and often pointed out flaws.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Tomorrow never Dies

One of the most action packed films of the series and for that same reason one of the most entretaining.
    Pierce is definitely great in this, he improved a lot and dors look much more confident especially its noticed in his more serious moments like Killing Dr Kaufman and the death of Paris.
    He does look much better with a nicer haircut and better costumes much more fitting which helps him in being much more believable.

While the romantic chemistry wasn't that great with Way lin. It was compensated by the great one he had with Paris and well even if we didn't have Ms Carver I wouldn't have liked a Brosnan bond film where he doesn't get the girl at the end.

The score its one of the best and it has one of the most exciting pre titles sequences of all time.

Im so glad i re watched this film

pachazo wrote: »
    I had fun watching Diamonds Are Forever tonight. I find myself appreciating it more and more as of late. It continues to move up in the rankings. My first big change of the year, actually.
    After ignoring & disliking the film for years, I've also really started to enjoy it these days. In fact, I think I'll try to take in a showing sometime this week.
  • GBFGBF
    DAF is indeed a very entertaining Bond film. The problem is its extremely poor climax and this often keeps me from rewatching it since I always keep in mind how badly this film ends and lose the enjoyment throughout the film. But maybe I should give it another try. Watched it the last time, one year ago.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The oil rig sequence in DAF has one element that surpasses nearly every other climax in the franchise:

Also, I don't believe that Bond is seeking vengeance for Tracy during the PTS, as some have suggested. Moneypenny asks James to bring her back a diamond in a ring. How could she possibly ask him that if his wife was recently murdered?
    I love the way Bond tries to identify the correct Blofeld at the top of the Whyte tower by kicking the cat.

@DaltonCraig007, that oil rig track (To Hell With Blofeld) is superb, and shows Barry's mastery. It segues effortlessly into so many different melodies (including a smooth incorporation of the Bond theme) before ending with a great version of the 007 theme.

I also really like the way Barry brings in the Bond theme during the hovercraft sequence (just after MP says her bit). He brings in a breezy backing which evokes the sound of the vehicle. Masterful and a great score.