Last Bond Movie You Watched

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Craig is absolute killer in the desert scene. His best kill by far.
    I can't get enough of that scene, the highlight of his era.

Yes, that's very much my Bond. I love the look he gives Greene as he tosses him the fuel, one of the many nice barbs he sends the guy's way. I also adore the situational irony embedded in the script, where the faux-ecologist who was causing a drought is left to die from dehydration. Absolutely genius.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I kind of agree, because it's more potent to imagine Greene being killed by a climate he wanted to exploit, but with the hint of Quantum/SPECTRE retaliation I like to think he died pissing himself as he was executed, so he didn't get off easy. He also had oil in his stomach when he was found, so he may have drank it even before he was shot. Either that or he was force fed it just before his execution. Either or...what a way to go.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I think it's clear he drank it because of thirst.
    I agree.
    Yes, agreed. But as we have it, the ending connects thematically to the beginning, with Quantum having people everywhere.
    QOS is fine as it is anyway.

Having said that, I still feel it could have been a masterpiece à la FRWL without the reboot nonsense and proper Bondian stuff.
  • GBFGBF
    I am surprised that so many people here seem to like Greene as the main villain in QoS. This is indeed something that I will never understand. I really find him completely awfull. He is boring, one dimensional, without any skills, uncharismatic, unlikeable.... The worst thing about him is that he even tells Bond everything about Quantum in the end. How stupid can a man be?? If he has such a valuable knowledge, he should not tell Bond everything about it because he is useless afterwards. Instead he should have made a deal and provide the usefull information only in exchange for a new identity.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited January 2017 Posts: 7,061
    Have started a long-term Bond marathon, I'm watching them all randomly. Except for the Craigs, I will watch those at the end in chronological order (because they're not really stand alone films).

Started out with this Sir Sean double bill:

Goldfinger:

Loved the iconic moments and characters of this picture. The acting and set design is top notch, I love golf too so that's a nice addition. One problem though: locations. Kentucky has no atmosphere whatsoever, so between the Alps and Fort Knox the film is really let down in that department.

8/10

You Only Live Twice:

Visually a feast for my eyes. Best set design of the series, the music score and the cinematography are up there too. Lewis Gilbert really has an eye for an epic scale, this film is a grand opera thoughout. Didn't mind Sean either, thought he was pretty funny. Also, I really love the allies here: Tiger and Henderson. On the downside, terrible plot and is it sacrilege to not adore Donald Pleasence as Blofeld?

7/10

Next up: Sir Rog double bill

=> Live and Let Die and Moonraker.
    @GBF
    finding any logic in QOS or SF is useless, there is none.

At least QOS is highly entertaining and easy to watch.
  • acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    edited January 2017 Posts: 1,243
    bondjames wrote: »
    Quantum of Solace (2008)

LTK whetted my appetite for another Bond film. I was in the mood for some Craig, but CR was too long to get through. So I had no choice but to put in the shortest and most action packed 'quick fix' from the Craig era, namely QoS. It was an appropriate follow up film to Dalton's last, because they are both rogue tales of a sort set partially in sunny climates. Dalton's Bond seeks revenge, while Craig's Bond seeks closure. It's the first time I've seen these two back to back or even within a few days of one another. It makes for interesting viewing given the similarities. I noticed right away that the later film is much more 'polished' visually, and dare I say, far more 'Bondian'. It's got oodles of class in the locations, in the women, in the cinematography (except for the Bourne style editing)... That's not something that can be said about LTK. Moreover, I noticed today the distinct differences between Craig's Bond and Dalton's. Craig is a lot 'cooler' imho. He gives off a calm, detached veneer even when angry (e.g last scene with Yusef) while still being intense. Dalton is just intense, but without the same calm style. More frazzled, if you will.
    It was good to see Craig in proper fitting formal attire again. What a difference that makes. The man looks good when the suits fit. I felt the same way today as I felt in 2008: he carries this film completely. It's a near faultless performance. QoS Craig, please come back to us!
    Everyone else is excellent in their roles as well. Almaric as the oily Greene (very convincing as a Spectre #2 of sorts), Kurylenko as the revenge seeking Camille (a very similar character to FYEO's Melina), the always superb Giannini as Mathis (I've loved this guy since Hannibal and was ecstatic when he was cast in CR. They shouldn't have killed him off!), Arterton as the criminally underused Fields (a revelation comparable to DAD's Pike) & Joaquin Cosio as Medrano (very realistic). The only subpar performance is Taubman as the useless Elvis imho.
    The Tosca Opera sequence remains one of the best in the canon. Arnold's score is also his best (imho) and almost Barry'esque in places, most notably 'at the opera'. The action sequences are visceral in that Bourne way, but are imbued with a uniquely Bondian class. Whether it's the Aston sequence at the start, the Mitchell chase & fight or the Slate kill (one of the best hand to hand combat scenes imho), they are all really well done & fierce. Only the boat chase is a bit difficult to follow, even on repeated viewings.
    The geopolitics are as 'real' as they get in a Bond film, and refreshingly honest too. I can imagine some of this didn't go down too well in Washington. This really is an excellent film, and I'm tempted to move it up a few notches in my ranking (it's middle of the pack at present). The reason I really can't is because I think it lacks a certain charismatic 'larger than life' spark which I tend to prefer in Bond films. It's a bit too real, as it were. It's still a great entry though.

QOS is Craig at his best. I am not his biggest fan, but I warmed to him here. He had more freedom to stamp his version. I watched the film without comparing him to the others. He brought something new and there was no looking back. But the critics hated it and by following their lead, the next film was to please them.

But SF is where they tried to make him try to be more like Connery and a bit of Brosnan. The cufflink adjustment as he lands on the train was a Brosnan rip off.

And the DB5 made me think of Connery. How could I not, when that was Connery s signature car. Martin Campbellisms better suited to Brosnan. Even then, they are cheap crutches and gimmicks.

SP was too self-consciously trying to be classic Bond and looks like it took tracing paper to copy those classic elements from past films. And then use elements of Eyes Wide Shut. The love scene on the train after the fight with Hinx was stupid even for a Moore film. Craig was badly beaten.

Classic Bond built the series by being original and moving the series forward. And I prefer the classic Bond action scenes as they always pushed the envelope. It was unique to Bond.

CGI is the bane of modern cinema.

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    What I never understand is why he takes the motor oil with him? If he knows hes gonna be tempted to drink it, why not just throw it away?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Have you ever walked in the middle of a scorching hot desert with no water? Either the sun stroke will kill you or the dehydration will.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Murdock wrote: »
    Have you ever walked in the middle of a scorching hot desert with no water? Either the sun stroke will kill you or the dehydration will.

Of course, I just don't see how drinking motor oil would improve the situation. He shoulda chucked it while he was still thinking rationally.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Simple, desperation.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Maybe he was hoping to come across a vehicle, and brought it just in case.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 463
    Octopussy.

"Remember 007, you're on your own."
    "Thank you, sir. That's a great comfort."

It's hard not to take someone's criticism of the film that it's not serious enough with a grain of salt. It's way more serious than a film titled Octopussy has any right to be! There is action, fights, suspense, death, thrills, laughs, revenge and adventure and Moore's interpretation of the character makes it one of his best films, rivaled only by The Spy Who Loved Me. Octopussy is definitely one of the best Bond girls. Her and Moore have real chemistry and it's clear on screen. The plot is very Cold War-esque. Octopussy also has one of the strongest third acts in the entire series. The clown suit is well built up storywise due to the location. Moore plays it completely straight. Vijay's death is another scene that Moore adds a lot of weight and depth to. Bond also avenging 009 is another great moment in an awesome flick.

Absolutely love when Bond screws over Kamal Kahn in the gambling scene with his own loaded dice. Moore's smugness when he says, "Fancy that! 200,000 roupies..." is perfect. The following scene when Moore throws the thousands of dollars into the streets and yells, "Easy come, easy go!", is one of the best moments you could show someone Moore's characterization of the character. I have also always loved when he gets stabbed in the chest and the money saves him. Or the scene where he slides down the stair railing set to the Bond theme. John Barry's score for this one is underrated. I never hear anyone talk about it but it's great. I can overlook the rediculous Tarzan noise added in the chase as it's such a minor thing in the scheme of things.

1. From Russia With Love
    2. GoldenEye
    3. Octopussy
    4. The Spy Who Loved Me
    5. SPECTRE
    6. The World Is Not Enough
    7. Never Say Never Again

First time in a long time Octopussy is above TSWLM. The film is too much fun.

Also, Louis Jourdan eating that eyeball at the villain dinner is a moment I'll always love for my dad's reaction anytime he sees it.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited January 2017 Posts: 7,061
    Rog double bill:

Live and Let Die

Pleasantly surprised by a film I've never been that fond of. Live and Let Die mixes the supernatural with Bond and the eery atmosphere feels like a European horror film alla Mario Bava. Tee Hee and Baron Samedi are also wonderfully entertaining and could it be that this is Rog's best Bond performance? Too bad Kananga's demise is so subpar.

9/10

Moonraker

Safely on Lewis Gilbert territory here. As was the case with YOLT, this film's plot is ludicrous even to Bond standards. However, I tremendously enjoy the epic music, the cinematography and the brilliant Ken Adam sets. Michael Lonsdale is a fun villain as well, I particularly like his dialogue. In the end, it loses a lot of points too by attempting to make Jaws a funny character.

6/10

Next up:

Second outings by Tim and Pierce

Licence to Kill and Tomorrow Never Dies
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2017 Posts: 23,883
    CrzChris4 wrote: »
    It's way more serious than a film titled Octopussy has any right to be!
    Your comment just made me wonder if EON will ever come up with a sexually suggestive Bond film title again. I personally think it would be great marketing (get people talking before its release), although I realize it's a bit of a cliche these days due to the Austin Powers effect. Still, I wouldn't be against it if the alternative was something bland like 'Spectre'.
    Octopussy.

"Remember 007, you're on your own."
    "Thank you, sir. That's a great comfort."

It's hard not to take someone's criticism of the film that it's not serious enough with a grain of salt. It's way more serious than a film titled Octopussy has any right to be! There is action, fights, suspense, death, thrills, laughs, revenge and adventure and Moore's interpretation of the character makes it one of his best films, rivaled only by The Spy Who Loved Me. Octopussy is definitely one of the best Bond girls. Her and Moore have real chemistry and it's clear on screen. The plot is very Cold War-esque. Octopussy also has one of the strongest third acts in the entire series. The clown suit is well built up storywise due to the location. Moore plays it completely straight. Vijay's death is another scene that Moore adds a lot of weight and depth to. Bond also avenging 009 is another great moment in an awesome flick.

Absolutely love when Bond screws over Kamal Kahn in the gambling scene with his own loaded dice. Moore's smugness when he says, "Fancy that! 200,000 roupies..." is perfect. The following scene when Moore throws the thousands of dollars into the streets and yells, "Easy come, easy go!", is one of the best moments you could show someone Moore's characterization of the character. I have also always loved when he gets stabbed in the chest and the money saves him. Or the scene where he slides down the stair railing set to the Bond theme. John Barry's score for this one is underrated. I never hear anyone talk about it but it's great. I can overlook the rediculous Tarzan noise added in the chase as it's such a minor thing in the scheme of things.

1. From Russia With Love
    2. GoldenEye
    3. Octopussy
    4. The Spy Who Loved Me
    5. SPECTRE
    6. The World Is Not Enough
    7. Never Say Never Again

First time in a long time Octopussy is above TSWLM. The film is too much fun.

Also, Louis Jourdan eating that eyeball at the villain dinner is a moment I'll always love for my dad's reaction anytime he sees it.

I love OP. Loved it in the cinema and it was the first Bond I saw on VHS. So I spent many a viewing rewinding the eyeball scene, gunbarrel, and countless Moore moments. One of Roger's best performances.
    I'd love to see another fun filled Bond romp like OP in the future. It's pure adventure throughout laced with humor, and the tension is very suspenseful. The countdown to the bomb as Moore attempts to disarm it is very good.
    edited January 2017 Posts: 23,883
    OP bristles with relentless energy from start to finish. There's so much to like in this film, but it's that sparkling pace that I love the most. It just doesn't let up, which is incredible for a Bond film from that era. It's much faster than the prior FYEO.

I've always thought that Glen took a page out of Raiders for this film, as that was such a massive hit and cribbed from the Bond universe for a lot of its gags & stunts.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Last one I watched was Octopussy,as part of the community bondathon. . Always a movie I enjoy.
    GBF wrote: »
    I am surprised that so many people here seem to like Greene as the main villain in QoS. This is indeed something that I will never understand. I really find him completely awfull. He is boring, one dimensional, without any skills, uncharismatic, unlikeable.... The worst thing about him is that he even tells Bond everything about Quantum in the end. How stupid can a man be?? If he has such a valuable knowledge, he should not tell Bond everything about it because he is useless afterwards. Instead he should have made a deal and provide the usefull information only in exchange for a new identity.

I think he's the perfect representation of the artificial peace-keepers that smile for cameras in daylight and plot for money and power at night. He's a schizo paranoid madman with a short fuse that can be explosive, and takes easy to tantrums. Why he has to be charismatic or likable is puzzling to me, as that's not what necessarily makes a villain; there's other ways to characterize a threat. He's a very different take on a Bond villain, not a Grant or Oddjob remake.

His plot/scheme is also brilliant and very relevant to our resource stripped world. I'd rather take that than a take over the world plot or anything of the like that is too subtracted from reality. The brilliance of QoS is that this kind of shit could happen, and likely has or is in some form or another.

As for the ending, Greene and Bond have an understanding with each other that in exchange for Greene's information on Quantum's operations (specifically what went on with Vesper and where Yusef is), Bond wouldn't kill him. Bond is a smart manipulator, however, and manages to write Greene's death certificate without actually killing him or stomping on their pact. By driving away Bond isn't killing him, nor is he saving his life. If Greene just refused to tell him what he wanted he'd kill him and go off looking for the information another way. He photographed dozens of Quantum agents at the Tosca opera, and so he could use any of those people to get him the information he needed with ease if his plan with Greene failed. Greene just put too much trust in Bond's honor and didn't expect that the man would leave him in the middle of the desert. His anxiety in the face of death made him reveal himself the coward, pleading for mercy in front of Bond, giving him anything that would spare his life, as he thinks Bond will keep to his word. Greene was destined for death anyway. After failing his plans for SPECTRE he would be silenced anyway, so matter what he told Bond he was already a dead man.
    I've always thought that Glen took a page out of Raiders for this film, as that was such a massive hit and cribbed from the Bond universe for a lot of its gags & stunts.

It's funny you say that, I was thinking that Raiders and OP would make a killer doible-bill laat night.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

It's funny you say that, I was thinking that Raiders and OP would make a killer doible-bill laat night.

I've wanted to try that double bill for a very long time now. Someone mentioned the idea of it several months back, and I've been itching to give it a go ever since.

I think it certainly will! Spielberg returned the favour by totally copying the OP dining scene in Temple of Doom (OP's was better imho) and the opening scene in Temple also has Bond written all over it. Then Glen came back and cribbed from Temple for the mine scene in AVTAK (he also cribbed from Moore's earlier Gold).

So Raiders, OP, Temple and AVTAK all have some links.
    I did last year :D and it works perfectly.

OP-TOD it was perfect
    Temple of Doom is definitely Indy as Bond, in a Connery vein with a GF dinner jacket.
    Something I forgot to mention, and I don't know if it's just the Blu-ray or the fact that I watched it on my projector, but the transfer for Octopussy looked incredible. The image quality was really clear and the cinematography had a polish that I've never really noticed before.
    Something I forgot to mention, and I don't know if it's just the Blu-ray or the fact that I watched it on my projector, but the transfer for Octopussy looked incredible. The image quality was really clear and the cinematography had a polish that I've never really noticed before.

OP is definitely one I need to upgrade to Blu-ray.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Temple of Doom is definitely Indy as Bond, in a Connery vein with a GF dinner jacket.

Harrison Ford was mentioned as a possible new Bond after that.