Last Bond Movie You Watched

Comments

• BennyBenny Shaken not stirredAdministrator, Moderator
    Been a bit slack in updating my Bondathon. But I will now continue with the next film in...
    Benny's Blu-Ray Bondathon...
    Live And Let Die.
    Roger Moore's debut as Bond was always a film I found unsure about. For some reason I've never really clicked with it. I found the voodoo themes a little out of place in a Bond film. The villains plot is also slightly non-Bondian in nature compared to past villains plans. But after my most recent, Blu-Ray viewing that has changed somewhat.
    The Roger Moore era starts with a slightly dull PTS with no action or even OO7 appearing. What we get is the death of three un-known men at various locations. Doesn't really tell us much. The introduction of our new Bond is set in his London flat, (complete with female partner of course). Roger Moore has always been a favourite of mine. As his films introduced me to Bond, and despite the comedic style of his films, I've always loved his take on Bond. His debut is very impressive. At no point am I thinking of Connery, or how a scene would be better had Sean played it. Moore takes on the role, with confidence and his own style that is not so different so as to change the character. But a little more humour and Englishness if you will is added to the part.
    Moore is fantastic at delivering a humorous line, and I find LALD as enjoyable as DAF in this department.
    The films central plot involves Bond being sent to discover why three British agents have been murdered. (The three men we see in the PTS). His travels take him first to New York, then onto the fictional island of San Monique in the Caribbean, New Orleans and finally back to San Monique. The story involves a shady character known as Mr.Big an American gangster who the CIA and Felix Leiter are observing and the Prime Minister of the island of San Monique named Dr.Kananga. Who for some reason neither Bond nor the CIA can see are the same man, who wears poor make up to hide himself. On the island of San Monique, Kananga uses voodoo ceremonies and his tarot reading kept woman, Solitaire to assist him in his evil doings. He grows vast crops of poppies that he will use his facility to turn into billions of dollars worth of heroin. As Mr.Big he supplies addicts across the US in his chain of Fillet Of Soul restaurants. Kananaga/Mr.Big intend to distribute for free two tons of heroin, causing the competition to go broke, increasing the addicts across the US and eventually increasing the price to become hugely wealthy.
    Even though the film is topical it's not really Ian Fleming style, though had Fleming continued to write Bond novels, one wonders if he would eventually tackled a plot that involved narcotics.
    What LALD lacks in possible Fleming input, it makes up for in wonderful story telling and characters. The film moves along at a great pace, and the audience is given little chance to dwell on a sequence before a new one has begun. Bonds journey through New York, and into Harlem is a good one, as is his introduction to the villains and the Bond girl of the film, Solitaire who proceeds to read Bonds fortune, and their eventual fate.
    The voodoo aspects of the film are well handled and director Guy Hamilton gives the film a suspense and intrigue. The villains are an interesting bunch lead by the corrupt Prime Minister of San Monique, Dr.Kananga. Yaphet Kotto is charming, unpredictable and scary in the role. We're never to sure of his actions, yet he will sentence someone to death without blinking an eye. His henchmen are also an interesting bunch. Tee Hee uses a mechanical arm to great effect after he lost it too a crocodile, Whisper is an overly large henchmen who poses no real threat, but he does carry out his role with glee. And Baron Samedi the voodoo God brought to life.
    Samedi is one of those characters I'm not too sure about. He's creepy for sure, but as we're told during the film, he supposedly cannot die. And sure enough, after Bond has had a brief fight with him he hurls Samedi into a coffin full of snakes. Yet at the climax of the film we see Samedi riding on the front of the train. Laughing as he does so. It's a little bit too supernatural for me, even though the film is very supernatural all the way through. Maybe it's just me. I'm not a fan of this small part of LALD.
    Jane Seymour does well as the virginal tarot card reader Solitaire, who's powers exist only so long as her virginity. With Bond around those powers aren't going to last much longer. I do like her innocent ways, and the belief she has in the tarot cards. It's a good character, and the young Miss Seymour is not only very nice to look at, she plays the role well.
    The same cannot be said of the other female character, Rosie Carver. As CIA agent on the payroll of Kananga. She's quite possibly the worst actress to grace a Bond film, and luckily Rosie is killed off quickly. Very annoying character. The rest of the supporting cast is fine. David Hedison makes his first appearance as Felix Leiter. Whilst he is not given a lot to do, he's a very likable man, and has a good chemistry with Roger Moore. Certainly better cast than Norman Burton. At least this Felix, looks like he could get involved in the action if he needed to. And finally there's Sheriff JW Pepper. A Louisiana Sheriff who gets caught up in the very impressive boat chase. Pepper is so over the top and offensive, some fans love him, others loathe him. I quite like the JW myself. He's over the top and a buffoon. And will stop at nothing to get Bond. Clifton James line delivery is wonderful though. "Secret AGENT! On who's side?"
    The action of LALD is something that really stands out for me on this viewing. Roger Moore is given a lot to do in his debut and he does it well. Whether spinning a double decker bus 180 degrees on a wet road, or stranded on an island surrounded by crocodiles. The stepping over the crocs backs is one of the most insane stunts of the series imo. It's brief but my word is it impressive. The lengthy boat chase that follows is also well shot and contains many impressive stunts.
    The films climax set on San Monique is also a fine end to a better than average Bond film. Bond sets out to rescue Solitaire from a voodoo ceremony death and destroy Kananga's poppy fields. After setting Solitaire free, Bond finds his way into Kananga's vast underground lair, finally finding his way to the evil drug lord, and ultimately captured. Bond and Solitaire are bound together on a cranes hoist, to be lowered into a pool of hungry sharks. Not before Kananga has inflicted a series of cut to Bonds arm to attract the sharks. Using Bonds magnet watch (which is shown at the start of the film, yet is not really deployed much during the course of the film. Yet now turns into a buzz saw , a little cheeky as we're not told about this prior.) Bond frees himself, and fights to the death with Kananga. Popping a compressed air pellet into his mouth, causing the villain to inflate massively, while he ascends to the ceiling eventually exploding when he hits the roof. It's again over the top. But a fine demise none the less.
    The aforementioned climax with Solitaire and Bond taking a train ride, has Bond eliminate Kananga's remaining henchmen, Tee Hee in a brief but brutal fight, that see's the villains mechanical hand get stuck on the train window, and Bond tossing Tee Hee out the window to his death.
    The picture quality and colours of LALD really stood out with the Blu-Ray and the pace really worked well. I've never been a big fan of Guy Hamilton's Bond films. But this film has been underrated by me. It's a lot of fun, and well worth a viewing. An improvement on DAF.

Benny's Blu-Ray Bondathon ranking:

1. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    2. From Russia With Love
    3. Goldfinger
    4. Thunderball
    5. Doctor No
    6. Live And Let Die
    7. You Only Live Twice
    8. Diamonds Are Forever.
    Decided to watch a film from each actor's era out of the blue. Started with Skyfall. Still love it to this day despite some flaws.

I then watched a film I had not sat down and watched in a long while. The World Is Not Enough. Some things I was thinking during my viewing.

-The story is actually great. One of the stronger and more intriguing scripts.

-The cinematography and Apteds direction are not great. Things look bland that shouldn't. Also Apted's work in the action scenes leave a lot to be desired. He does do well with smaller dialogue scenes.

-David Arnold's score gets a bad rap and I'm not sure why. I'd even say the movie would be much worse without it.

-Christmas Jones is a well written character with sass, attitude, is smart, and funny. Too bad Denise Richards couldn't handle it.

-Outside of one scene ("Knew all about my shoulderrrrrr"), I'd argue this is Pierce's finest acting work as Bond. He also looks his best here compared to his other 3 films.

-Judi Dench is great as always

Next will be: LTK, Octopussy, OHMSS, and Goldfinger. Each of which I haven't seen in a while now
  • Watched Thunderball, in celebration of Shir Sean'sh birthday.

I liked it more than the last time I watched it, but it remains a bloated, somewhat by-the-numbers affair. Largo, Fiona, and SPECTRE threaten Bond's life something like 5 times, but he only feels truly in danger once, when it's Fiona Volpe at the Junkanoo. Their fascination with underwater sequences also drags the film down, as there's really no need to have Bond and Domino meet and copulate beneath the waves. The gags can feel rote, like they're consciously trying to hit the laugh lines. All the same, it has its strengths, including a great evil plot, a fine performance from Connery, the greatest femme fatale of the series in Fiona Volpe, the beautiful Domino, and Emilio Largo's great screen presence.

The movie keeps its spot at 14 out of 23.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Diamonds Are Forever

Ughhh... this was worse than I remember. $1.25M, that my friends, is the price of utter boredom. EON could have paid me a fraction of that, and I would have put in more effot than Connery. I am not a member of the Connery fan base, but this is a million miles away from the leathal Bond of From Russia With Love. Would it have really hurt that much to show even the slightest bit of enthusiasm, or to have gotten into shape before turing up on set.
    Tiffany Case was a total dunce, I might need to re-read the book, but I don't recall her being so thick. And am I the only one that doesn't find Jill St John appealing?
    And along with Blofeld in drag, if I were not a completist, then I would banish this film from my collection.
    On the plus side, I like Bond To Holland, and the first 2 minutes of Bond Meets Bambi & Thumper from the soundtrack.

2014 Bondathon
    1. From Russia With Love
    2. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    3. Dr No
    4. Thunderball
    5. You Only Live Twice
    6. Goldfinger
    7. Diamonds Are Forever
    I think probably the best aspect of DAF is Charles Grey. As a pure parody of Blofeld I think he's funny:

*Bond ejects the tape
    "Put it back Mr Bond..,immediately"

Shame though that he's NOTHING like the original character.
    @MajorDSmythe. I think that's the first time I've agreed with your every word. ;-)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    First, and last? ;)
    First, and last? ;)

Well I didn't like to say. :D
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    DAF has also dropped in my ranking last time I saw it. I don't know what happened but it became very apparent to me that Connery was bored senseless, as if he did any sort of effort he would pass out on the floor or something. And most of the characters really annoyed me. I don't mind campy characters and scenes but they should make me laugh, not cringe and be annoyed.
    I get annoyed with most of the characters too and their strong American accents.

"Comowwn Bond get the helll off that thing"

I know they meant to be annoying but not to the point where it becomes frustrating and I want to give up on the whole thing.

That's exactly why I don't like MWTGG. The dated "comic relief" becomes insulting.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Basicly in DAF I just like the guy who goes 'T-minus 5 minutes and COUNT-ing' :P
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Here's the PTS once again. 3:57 always makes me laugh :P

From the comment section of the video @BAIN123 just posted:

'1958Shemp
    5 months ago

Say what you will about the rest of this movie: Sean Connery brings a real, ruthless intensity in his quest for Blofeld in the intro above.'

Erm, what? :))
    So ruthless, he looks like he is about to offer Blofeld a cup of tea and an Éclair.
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 7,507
    Reagrding DAF, I'd say Connery's boredom is the least of the films problems. No actor could have possibly saved that embarassing script and utter stupid, uninteresting plot. DAF was a failure right from the start, and if Connery had any initial interest in playing Bond again, it's only natural it completely evaporated as soon as filming started. DAF's only positive influence on mankind is it' initial funding of The Scottish International Education Trust... thanks to Connery...
    And so the we continue on my Benny's Blu-Ray Bondathon with...
    The Man With The Golden Gun
    It's been a long time since I really enjoyed this film, and my most recent viewing would be no different. It's not a terrible film. Far from it. It does have some good ideas, some great scenes, and most annoyingly, a fantastic villain who is completely misused.
    My biggest gripe with Golden Gun is the story and the silly events the film just does not need. The energy crisis of the early seventies though still topical today has aged the movie. The dual story of Bond tracking down the 'Solex' agitator, a device that converts the suns rays into electricity and Bonds hunt for the worlds most deadly assassin after a golden bullet arrives in London marked with OO7. The trademark of Scaramanga, the films villain. Eventually these two stories become one, which to be honest is just a little to coincidental, and poor story telling. There is no need for the 'Solex' sub-plot. The film would've been much better had it involved Bond tracking down the Scaramanga and fighting him to the death. It's simple and would've worked much, much better imo.
    The film is built up with far too many convenient situations. It's lazy storytelling, having the mission to find the 'Solex' intertwine with the hunt for Scaramanga is one of these. There's no need for it. When Bond is captured by Hai-Fat and taken to the karate school, what is the villains intent. To karate chop Bond to death. It's a weak way to have a karate fight in the film. Even worse is Bonds escape with his ally Hip and his two nieces, who conveniently are karate champions and fight off a school full of men. As Hip and the girls makes their escape in his car, they for no reason at all leave Bond behind to make his own way. Which leads to a silly boat scene on the Bangkok klongs and the arrival of Sheriff JW Pepper holidaying in Bangkok. Having Pepper checking out an AMC showroom and Bond stealing the car he's sitting in is even worse. It's too stupid. There is no need for it, and the Pepper just about got away with his inclusion in Live And Let Die, as he was in his own environment. Having the redneck sheriff assist Bond in Thailand is absurd.
    We are however given a truly fantastic stunt as Bond who is chasing Scaramanga and the clumsy Mary Goodnight. An agent paired up with Bond who has managed to get locked in Scaramanga's car boot. Bond finds himself on the wrong side of a river. He uses a broken bridge to jump the river, and perform a 360 degree barrel roll as he does so. The scene is shot beautifully, but a slide whistle sound effect is not required.
    Bond tracks Scaramanga down to an island in Red Chinese waters, and trails him there. Once there Scaramanga reveals his intention to sell solar power to the highest bidder. He even has a solar energy complex on his hidden island and demonstrates it for Bond. It's all very nice and gentlemanly until lunch. When the conversation turns nasty and Bond is too late to withdraw his Walther PPK before Scaramanga has assembled his Golden Gun and points it at OO7. He suggests a duel, wherein only one man will survive.
    It starts out fine, but soon Bond ends up in Scaramanga's fun house. Here the two play cat and mouse. Bond loses his gun and Scaramanga cannot find his prey. Even with the help of his manservant Nick Nack who oversees the game. Bond somehow switches the dummy Scaramanga has of Bond in typical gun barrel pose complete with PPK, and puts himself in its place. As Scaramanga passes Bond turns and kills him. Why would Scaramanga have a loaded PPK on his dummy Bond? Again all to convenient.
    The conclusion of the film involves Goodnight knocking out a guard into a vat of liquid helium, and Bonds retrieval of the 'Solex' before the island explodes. Which of course it does. Bond and Goodnight escape on Scaramangas junk, only to be confronted by Nick Nack. In yet another silly sequence, Bond fights his vertically challenged foe as Nick Nack hurls seemingly empty bottles of wine at Bond. Bond uses a suitcase to defend himself and captures Nick Nack in the suitcase. As Bond and Goodnight retire to the bedroom as telephone appears out of the side of the bed. It's M to congratulate OO7 on his victory. Just how M got the phone number of Scaramanga's junk is not answered. Again it's silly and poor storytelling.
    I must say I am glad this is Guy Hamilton's last Bond picture. As with DAF before, there are to many lazy man ways out of things. It's not a well told film. The only saving grace is the truly beautiful cinematography. Thailand and the islands of Phuket are stunning.
    Christopher Lee makes an excellent villain and he does well with what he's given. But the duel should've been a much better fight. As I said, if the filmmakers took out the unrequired 'Solex' plot, and beefed up the Scaramanga story, this could've been one of the best Bond films. Sadly it is far from it.
    Again a step backwards after the small promise LALD gave with a new OO7 in Roger Moore.

Benny's Blu-Ray Bondathon ranking:

1. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    2. From Russia With Love
    3. Goldfinger
    4. Thunderball
    5. Doctor No
    6. Live And Let Die
    7. You Only Live Twice
    8. The Man With The Golden Gun
    9. Diamonds Are Forever.
  • I don't know why, but I decided to watch FRWL on VHS! And it was not bad at all! I have grown a custom to the BR quality, but it still held up pretty well. Tatiana is still hot as hell and Grant's still one of the best henchpersons of all time! I can helt of laughing when Bond slaps Sylvia on her hand. That sound is so damn laughable!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Benny wrote: »
    Having Pepper checking out an AMC showroom and Bond stealing the car he's sitting in is even worse. It's too stupid. There is no need for it, and the Pepper just about got away with his inclusion in Live And Let Die, as he was in his own environment. Having the redneck sheriff assist Bond in Thailand is absurd.
    Benny, dude, the Moore Bond movies were all about the funny. Relax. :)>-
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Having Pepper checking out an AMC showroom and Bond stealing the car he's sitting in is even worse. It's too stupid. There is no need for it, and the Pepper just about got away with his inclusion in Live And Let Die, as he was in his own environment. Having the redneck sheriff assist Bond in Thailand is absurd.

Except TMWTGG isn't "funny" by any means. It's more a video you pop in lobotomize yourself.
    I know its not a "film" per-se but am watching a great documentary made around the time of Moonraker's release:

chrisisall wrote: »

If I wanted funny, then I'd pop on a comedy.
    TMWTGG is a poor Bond film. It's not a bad film. There is as I said a lot to enjoy. It's just a lazy film. I truly don't think there is a really bad Bond film in the series. All of them have at least one or two redeeming qualities.

I must admit I can't bear some of the comic stuff in the second half of the film. The writers think they are being hilarious but it just makes me want to throttle them. Moonraker may have been goofy too but that at least looked very impressive and still holds up well in relation to the cinematography.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    When I watch MR, the comedy is pretty in-your-face but believe it or not, I don't mind it. There's something about the MR comedy that's easily digestible. The comedy in TMWTGG, by contrast, feels like it's giving me the finger. Pepper... I'm sorry if I sound like a broken record but we're not talking a few seconds here. There are literally minutes of Pepper going nuts while the man at the wheel is supposed to be Bond. I feel for Roger in those scenes. He must have known this couldn't possibly help him one bit in his second film. Clifton James looks like a nice guy in real life but too much pepper and no salt, makes Dimi a dull boy. If I didn't know better I'd say the brown acid was very popular on the set of this film. ;-)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Not sure if this is a clever suggestion, @Birdleson, but you could single out the Spectre movies. Or you can go by director: the Young 'trilogy', the Gilbert 'trilogy', the Hamilton ones, ... I once selected the films scored by Barry just for that specific element alone. Not sure if any of this helps. ;-)
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Watch them from your worst to best, or vice versa. I'm yet to do that.
    edited September 2014 Posts: 15,708
    Just started watching YOLT. I'm at Bond's 'funeral' and now his body is entering the sub. I am always baffled at the OTT-ness of this sequence. To top it all here's M in the submarine!
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    Thanks guys, both with great ideas.
    Worst to best sounds great, I don't know if I have the stomach to do it that way.
    And the idea of thematically, or through an element in the story, matching the films sounds good. Putting the directors in groups doesn't feel good, for some reason

I too have been trying to "hold off" but it's getting more and more difficult. Anyways, I'm pretty sure the next time I work through them it will be "worst to best" OR thematically tied manner you were talking about.

I've wanted to do worst to best for some time. Plus it'd help me re-evaluate movies and I'll get a good mix of actors as, aside from Connery's first 4, I don't really have a visible "trend" in my rankings.

As for the topic earlier - I like humor in Bond films as long as it's funny. If it doesn't work (bond squeezing the henchman's ass cheeks) then it REALLY screws up the movie's vibe.
  • I watched GE in the memory of Gottfried this afternoon. I don't think that I've ever appreciated the movie as much as I did this time! It really is Brosnan's Best Bond! John made for a brilliant Ourumov, and Xenia is just so hot and cool! Sean Bean is pretty perfect as Alec and Pierce and him really have a certain chemistry together. The score still sucks though... I really don't like the score at all, it's pretty worthless. But apart from that, it's a very good watch!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    My day off today, so I just watched QOS. Holy crap, every single time I watch this movie I like it better than the last time. Wherever I had it on my list it has just moved up (again). This is so my favourite Bond of this century. I don't even notice the shaky-cam any more because I know just what I want to look at by now. Damn I love this flick.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 11,189
    I watched GE in the memory of Gottfried this afternoon. I don't think that I've ever appreciated the movie as much as I did this time! It really is Brosnan's Best Bond! John made for a brilliant Ourumov, and Xenia is just so hot and cool! Sean Bean is pretty perfect as Alec and Pierce and him really have a certain chemistry together. The score still sucks though... I really don't like the score at all, it's pretty worthless. But apart from that, it's a very good watch!

I must confess I too have stuck GE on in memory of Gottfried.

His acting in this scene especially is very good: