The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I watched Dark Skies in the theatre last night. I must say I quite enjoyed it. There were some scary moments of fairly acceptable quality scattered throughout the film. It's not as effective as Sinister IMO (and I mention Sinister because we have pretty much the same producers involved), but nonetheless it works.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I watched Dark Skies in the theatre last night. I must say I quite enjoyed it. There were some scary moments of fairly acceptable quality scattered throughout the film. It's not as effective as Sinister IMO (and I mention Sinister because we have pretty much the same producers involved), but nonetheless it works.

I think my girlfriend and I are the only ones who didn't like 'Sinister.' Everyone amped up how incredibly scary it was, and we just weren't impressed the entire time we watched it.
    Well, the trouble with being scared is that when anticipation was built up to extreme proportions, it's bound to be a let-down. ;-)
    @DarthDimi, that is true. I had the grand realization after seeing 'Paranormal Activity' in theaters that it just wasn't THAT scary, as high anticipations had built it up to be. I may rewatch it, but knowing the ending and knowing how disappointed I was, I don't know if I can. Now 'Insidious'? That movie surpassed expectations in the scares department for me. Looking forward to the sequel and 'The Conjuring.'
    I'm there too. Looking forward to both Insidious 2 and The Conjuring, of which I've had the pleasure of seeing a poster in my local theatre yesterday. ;-)

As for PA, I've sat through all three films once so far - PA 1 twice actually - and number four is in my DVD collection. But I just can't see the appeal. I know this type of paranormal things is in vogue nowadays. Hell, even Discovery Channel provides us with senseless documentaries on the subject. Then still, after about 45 extremely repetitive minutes, I was more or less through with PA 1. I gave the next two films an honest try, but unsuccessfully I might add. I'll continue to give the series an honest try in that I will watch number four soon, but I have very small hopes of ever becoming a fan. It's just not my thing. I'm practically insensitive to this whole 'Oh my, it could happen in YOUR house, this might be REAL' hype. In the end, it's Blair Witch clone number 7, just the next thing in the found footage craze.
    @DarthDimi, I couldn't agree more. As I reflected on it, PA was incredibly meh, the second one was terrible, I don't remember much from three, and the fourth was remotely enjoyable, I would say, though it stretched beyond the normal scares and offered some outlandish scenarios.
    @Creasy47, some say it's the new Saw. Well, forgive me for saying it really isn't. But I guess I'm biased. I liked the Saw series very much, especially for its good sense of continuity, and I remember being mocked back in the day by the very same folks who now enjoy PA. PA has more or less replaced Saw of course as the one-per-year-around-Halloween-and-making-big-money series, but unlike Saw, it has failed, IMO, to establish a new subgenre in horror and to push the boundaries. Again though, some will no doubt reverse these arguments to try and convince me of PA's superiority over Saw. Ah well, to each their own. ;-)
    @DarthDimi, as did I. The 'Saw' films wore on me, but last year, my girlfriend and I got them all on DVD and watched them straight through, and the continuity and entirety of the story was excellent, and I enjoyed them much more. Saw > PA.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited July 2013 Posts: 13,978
    It's Time: Pre-Order "Crystal Lake Memories: The Complete History of 'Friday the 13th'"!!

Panic Productions and Hutson Ranch Media have launched pre-orders for the must-get Crystal Lake Memories: The Complete History of Friday the 13th on its official website. The documentary, inspired by Peter M. Bracke’s bestselling book of the same name, promises to be the definitive retrospective on the long-running Friday the 13th franchise.

The three-disc Blu-ray/DVD combo pack showcases the extensive feature, which runs approximately 420 minutes. When purchased through the website, buyers will also receive a bonus DVD with nearly 4 hours of extended interview material. The film will be officially released on August 27, 2013 via 1428 Films with a list price of $29.95.

Corey Feldman (star of Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter) narrates Crystal Lake Memories, which features interviews with approximately 150 cast and crew members from all twelve Friday the 13th films and the syndicated television series, many of whom have never before appeared in on-camera interviews. Interview subjects include Kane Hodder, Robert Englund, Tom Savini, Danielle Panabaker, Sean S. Cunningham, Derek Mears, Betsy Palmer, Wes Craven, Robert Shaye, Alice Cooper and many more. A full list of the cast can be found <a href="http://www.crystallakememories.net/cast/index.html">here.</a>;

Crystal Lake Memories is written and directed by Daniel Farrands and produced by Thommy Hutson, who previously teamed up for the award-winning Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy. “As lifelong fans, we couldn’t let 2013 pass us by without giving Jason his due,” explains Farrands. “I hope that Crystal Lake Memories will serve as a befitting tribute to one of this generation’s most iconic bogeymen.”

“We’re thrilled that we are able to bring all the incredible stories from the cast and crew to life, showcasing why the Friday the 13th franchise is still going strong decades later,” adds Hutson. “It’s a testament to the blood, sweat and tears that went into making summer camp, and eventually a hockey mask, both terrifying and fun.”

In the 33 years since the original Friday the 13th premiered in May of 1980, the slasher franchise has grown to include twelve feature films, a television series, novels, comic books, merchandise and memorabilia. In addition to staggering box office success, the films turned Jason Voorhees and his signature hockey mask into a pop culture icon. Now fans can get an in-depth look that spans the entire history from those involved.

Pre-order Crystal Lake Memories: The Complete History of Friday the 13th now at CrystalLakeMemories.net

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3241697/its-time-pre-order-crystal-lake-memories-the-complete-history-of-friday-the-13th/

And I thought Friday The 13th fans were spoiled with His Name Was Jason: 30 Years Of Friday The 13th. \:D/
    WOW! 'saliva drooling from my mouth'

Yes, His name was Jason was already something of a treat. And now THIS! @MajorDSmythe, you made my day. Time to dust off the old book to come fully prepared. :)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Curse Of Chucky trailer has been released this evening:

The face looks different, and the tone looks like it's closer to the original film.
    I don't particularly care for the new look, but it does look closer to the original film. I may have to check it out.
    I don't mind the look - in fact the trailer has me won over. Can't wait for more of the Chuck!
    The look isn't better than the older look, but I don't mind it, either. I enjoy how the film seems pretty tight knit in one location.
    Work To Resume On 'Friday the 13th' Sequel, Finally.

Even knowing the behind-the-scenes drama, I’m still shaking my head that it has taken Paramount Pictures, New Line Cinema and Warner Bros. Pictures this long to get a sequel to the 2009 Friday the 13th off the ground.

Now that they’ve kicked at dirt for nearly four years, Warners/New Line have officially wasted their opportunity, giving the rights to franchise character, Jason Voorhees, back to Paramount Pictures for a piece in Christopher Nolan’s latest movie project, Interstellar (full details here).

Bloody Disgusting exclusively learned that Platinum Dunes would put their producing hats back on for the sequel, one that we really hope takes place in the winter (like originally planned). The question is, when will this happen?

Platinum Dunes producer Brad Fuller responded to Twitter user @superchecco with the following update: “we are wrapping TMNT and Almanac over the next month. Then we start to work on F13.”

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3243092/work-to-resume-on-friday-the-13th-sequel-finally/

The next 3 Friday The 13th's are in September & December of this year and June of next year. The most likely of those, imo, would be June. That would buy them more time to make a worthy sequel.
    @MajorDSmythe, you've made my day. I would love to see the film take place during the winter, as previous rumors pointed to. That would be such a unique, interesting twist to the series.

I figured I'd abuse this free month trial of Netflix, so I rented the remake of 'Evil Dead' and just got it in the mail. Everyone talked about how incredibly scary it was, so I'm really hoping it isn't another 'Sinister' (for me) that gives me zero jumps.
    It's a shame that New Line gave up the rights, if nothing else, they experimented with the series template.
    As far as I can see, Shannon & Swift completed their screenplay (the snowbound one), and have since moved onto another horror (which is said to have potential for a new franchise). What's not known, is whether Paramount are going ahead with the S&S script.
    New 'Curse of Chucky' red-band trailer:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=107265
    I sooo wanna see this film. :D
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I sooo wanna see this film. :D

Same! I can't wait. Dourif plays such an excellent villain...err, doll. :)
    I have no hopes that this film will be as good as Bride, but I will check it out and give it a fair chance.
    Based on that trailer, I think Curse looks like it could be the best Childs Play/Chucky film since the original.
    edited August 2013 Posts: 13,978
    'Crystal Lake Memories: The Complete History Of Friday The 13th' slashes it's way to DVD on Friday the 13th September...

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3247836/better-release-date-for-crystal-lake-memories-the-complete-history-of-friday-the-13th/

Makes sense to release on that date.
    Great news, @MajorDSmythe!

I hope I get the opportunity to order it in Belgium. If not, I'm sure I can slash my way through all the obstacles. ;-)

I'm really looking forward to this! Thanks for the news.
    edited August 2013 Posts: 13,978
    If you'll excuse the crudeness for a moment, I think this will be every fans wet dream. And to think that I was pleased with 'His Name Was Jason: 30 Years Of Friday The 13th'.

I would also like to see 'Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy', which the article also mentions.
  • Wonder if they'll ever do a sequel to the Elm Street reboot? The Halloween reboot got a sequel, and now FT 13 is getting one, so Nightmare is the only big 80s slasher franchise left that doesn't have a sequel to it's reboot.

Anyway, has anyone ever seen the Rec sequels? It's definitely my favourite "found footage" horror film, so I was just wondering if any of the follow ups are worth a watch?
    I would also like to see 'Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy', which the article also mentions.

I'd buy that in a heartbeat.
    I have not seen the ANOES remake, but if I recall correctly, didn't the Box Office numbers fall heavily during the second week. By comparison, the F13 reboot fared better, doing really well early on, but then stumbling somewhere around week 4 or 5.

Also, don't take this as gospel, but I think there was talk around the time of the ANOES remakes release, of a potential sequel after work had completed on a sequel to the F13 reboot. Now that the F13 films have returned to Paramount, maybe Platinum Dunes will look at further ANOES films. And then there's that next Texas Chainsaw that has been mentioned...
    Just rewatched the reboot of 'Friday the 13th' again the other night, and I'm heavily anticipating the sequel. I really hope Mears returns to the role, he was great.
    Really enjoyed The Conjuring this week..possibly one of the best horror films i've watched in recent years.
    Happy 10th Anniversary (/Birthday)Freddy vs Jason:
    http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3248725/happy-10th-anniversary-to-new-line-cinemas-freddy-vs-jason/

10 years ago today, the film in which two of Horrors biggest icons went toe-to-toe, had it's UK theatrical release. This led me to look up the dates for Jason Goes To Hell, which had it's theatrical release 10 years to the day (August 13th) prior to Freddy vs Jason.