The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Very interesting, @MajorDSmythe. Happy Anniversary to the both of them!

This doesn't concern either of those big icons, but I read a pretty big script review of 'Halloween 3D' the other night, the planned sequel to Rob Zombie's second retelling before something happened and the project was canned. Has anyone else read the script/read reviews on it?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Interesting blog, hope it hasn't been posted before:
    http://deanlorey.com/friday-13th-part-9-jason-goes-to-hell/
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited August 2013 Posts: 13,978
    If it has, then I won't complain. It's JGTH, and I have an affinity for it's uniqueness in the series, despite some odd aspects (the shaving scene). Part 3 is still my favourite, but I can still enjoy enough JGTH for what it tried to do.

Very informative article. I still think Creighton Duke shouldn't have been killed off. Had New Line kept the momentum of films going, Duke could have appeared in the next few sequels leading to a showdown.
    If it has, then I won't complain. It's JGTH, and I have an affinity for it's uniqueness in the series, despite some odd aspects (the shaving scene). Part 3 is still my favourite, but I can still enough JGTH for what it tried to do.

Very informative article. I still think Creighton Duke shouldn't have been killed off. Had New Line kept the momentum of films going, Duke could have appeared in the next few sequels leading to a showdown.

We got one hell of a showdown two films after this one. ;-)

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Would have been better if it had been Hodder as Jason vs Englund as Freddy. Hodder brought those little movements that became signature. Hodder brought.... life, to Jason. Kirzinger plays Jason as if he were a tree. Freddy vs Jason should have been made much sooner than it was, like a direct sequel to Jason Goes To Hell.
    I think of Kirzinger as a fridge but apparently Ronny Yu insisted on having someone with his movements play the part for what he wanted. He gets no complaints from me but then my love for FvsJ is well-known between us. ;-)
    Here's the first clip from 'Curse of Chucky'!

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=108547
    edited September 2013 Posts: 13,978
    "It's a doll, what's the worst that can happen, huh?"

Now that's tempting fate.

I thought I had posted it on the previous page, but I guess I didn't. So here's IGN's review of Curse Of Chucky:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/08/22/curse-of-chucky-review
  • Any Psycho representers? That is a top 5 for me for sure. I heard The Exorcist thrown around, and I can agree with that I guess, as it is a very revolting film, but a lot of the time I laugh my butt off. Captain Howdy is one hilarious cursing demon. :))

I like Psycho II most and I have a soft spot for Psycho IV because Olivia Hussey (she's one of my favourite actresses), even if her casting contradicts Ma Bates from the original. Psycho was ok, I tend not to think of it as a horror film but instead a thriller. Psycho III I didn't really like, the remake was pointless and i've never seen the Bates Motel tvm.

I know this was posted ages ago but it's nice to see a fellow lover of Psycho 2, I always felt this was actually a really clever set up for sequel, I always just assumed it would be terrible but is actually a cracking film.
    Neca are going to release 2 new 8" figures, one Freddy and one Jason...

1retrofredjason1.jpg

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3252622/toys-necas-retro-style-freddy-krueger-and-jason-voorhees/

When I saw the news, I was concerned that they might look cutesy, but no, they look suitably evil. I will definitely try and get the Jason figure, might get Freddy as well actually.
    Wow. When I saw you could remove Jason's mask, and he always came with an axe and that harpoon gun, I was sold. I have to get it.
    http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3253904/10-annoying-horror-final-girls/

I disagree on three of those names; Jennifer Love Hewitt, Alicia Witt and Elizabeth Olsen. I found none of those 3, the least bit annoying, in their respective films.

And seeing as it's Friday The 13th, what better day is there to read some news nuggets on the future of Crystal Lakes finest:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3254038/friday-the-13th-sequel-for-2015-freddy-could-get-second-round-with-jason/

I wasn't that happy with FvJ (the loss of Kane Hodder in the role, is one reason), and at the present time, I just was Paramount to get the rebooted series up and running. So if FvJ2 doesn't happen anytime soon, I won't feel at a loss. I'm not asking for them to crank the films out like they did between 1980 & 1989, but with shorter gaps between films than the series had under New Line.
    Depsite my love for FvJ, I'm joing to say no to a sequel. There's no way we can get Englund back and I doubt any sequel is going to bring me the joy of the "first" film.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Depsite my love for FvJ, I'm joing to say no to a sequel. There's no way we can get Englund back and I doubt any sequel is going to bring me the joy of the "first" film.

What'd you think of Jackie as Krueger in the remake, or have you yet to see it?

I agree, nobody will ever top Englund. It's sad, because there is a point where the series has to move on and get somebody new, but he just made the role his. It's like having a Chucky not voiced by Dourif.
    Jackie did well IMO. I can certainly see him return as Freddy. In fact, I didn't think the remake to be all that bad. I quite enjoyed it. Watched it twice in the theatres and a few times more at home. Despite strong nostalgic Englund love, I'm not necessarily put off by the thought of having someone else play Freddy. Either way, I consider FvJ as great swansong for Englund as Freddy. I'm glad he didn't get out on either Freddy's Dead or Wes Craven's New Nightmare. ;-)
    @DarthDimi, I enjoyed the remake, as well. I saw it when it hit DVD/blu-ray, and then I picked it up for cheap a few months ago at a pawn shop, but after rewatching it, I just didn't feel like I would ever revisit it, so I returned it. But, it still has some good moments of great scares and Jackie handled it really well.
    I like Wes Craven's New Nightmare, i'd even go as far as to call it my favourite ANOES film. Though I have not yet seen the remake, i'm sure i'll get around to it at some point.
    I love the film too, but Englund didn't wear the typical Freddy make-up. That's why I wouldn't have wanted it to be his swansong. ;-)
    And that's one of the reasons I like New Nightmare, Freddy's revamped looked. I've got the NECA New Nightmare figure, which captures Freddy's look in the film perfectly. For best results display the figure in a action pose against the MEZCO Jason from Jason Goes To Hell. ;)
    Bloody-Disgusting have posted their top 5 horror franchises, they've also put up a poll for readers to vote:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3256588/the-5-top-horror-franchises-vote-in-our-poll/
    Bloody-Disgusting have posted their top 5 horror franchises, they've also put up a poll for readers to vote:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3256588/the-5-top-horror-franchises-vote-in-our-poll/

How does that look in comparison to your list? I think those are the typical five horror fans would bring up or put on their list, but any favorites of yours (or @DarthDimi's) that were excluded?

In the slasher genre, I would personally go with:

1) A Nightmare On Elm Street
    2) Halloween
    3) Hellraiser
    4) Scream
    5) Friday The 13th
    My top 10 horror series:

1. Friday The 13th
    2. Wishmaster
    3. Re-Animator
    4. The Blind Dead
    5. A Nightmare On Elm Street
    6. ... Of The Dead
    7. Halloween
    8. Texas Chainsaw Massacre
    9. Evil Dead
    10. Hellraiser
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 12,837
    My list of Franchises is mainly slashers.

1) A Nightmare On Elm Street
    2) The Exorcist
    3) Friday The 13th
    4) Evil Dead
    5) Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Halloween, Childs Play and Scream get an honourable mention. My top 5 films though is much more varied.

1) The Exorcist
    2) Alien
    3) The Wicker Man
    4) A Nightmare On Elm Street
    5) Rec
    The poll is still open, the current results are:

- Friday The 13th 24.68% (489 votes)

- A Nightmare On Elm Street 18.63% (369 votes)

- Halloween 15.6% (309 votes)

- Evil Dead 14.59% (289 votes)

- Scream 9.29% (184 votes)

- Saw 6.11% (121 votes)

- Hellraiser 3.63% (72 votes)

- Child's Play 3.13% (62 votes)

- The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 1.87% (37 votes)

- The Exorcist 0.76% (15 votes)

- Critters 0.76% (15 votes)

- The Omen 0.45% (9 votes)

- The Amityville Horror 0.35% (7 votes)

- The Howling 0.15% (3 votes)
    Did anyone else here see 'You're Next,' by any chance?
    I have not watched it, but I've seen it advertised around. I've only now read up about the film, and this may just be the IMDB synopsis, but it sounds like nothing more than what I would call 'collection filler'.
    I have not watched it, but I've seen it advertised around. I've only now read up about the film, and this may just be the IMDB synopsis, but it sounds like nothing more than what I would call 'collection filler'.

I thought it was brilliant. I wouldn't say that it "redefined the horror genre" like they praised it to do when it was making its festival rounds in 2011 and 2012, but it was incredibly fantastic, with lots of unique kills and twists. One of my favorite horror movies, I'd say, with a great mixture of everything: plot (as good as a 'home invasion' type plot can get), cinematography, characters, soundtrack.
    I have yet to watch the film and I'm sure I shall, but it sounds an awful lot like The Strangers from a few years ago. That said, if it's good, it's good. ;-)