The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    FoxRox wrote: »

Posting this just because I thought of it and it’s one of my favorite moments of any horror movie. Best small detail is the antenna sticking out of Freddy’s head.

Welcome to prime time? Yes, it's a great moment in a film this Freddy fan doesn't rate quite as high as most, but nevertheless enjoys.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »

Posting this just because I thought of it and it’s one of my favorite moments of any horror movie. Best small detail is the antenna sticking out of Freddy’s head.

Welcome to prime time? Yes, it's a great moment in a film this Freddy fan doesn't rate quite as high as most, but nevertheless enjoys.

That’s a shame, I’d definitely rate 3 as my second favorite right behind the original, at least as far as memory goes. Part of me wants this series resurrected as it has so much potential, but things will never be the same without Englund of course.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited August 6 Posts: 24,776
    Just had a very good CD haul of Movie soundtracks which included two Hammer Horror albums...

Music from the Hammer films
    4255.jpg
    The Dracula Suite
    Hands Of The Ripper
    Dracula Has Risen From The Grave
    Vampire Circus
    Taste The Blood Of Dracula

The Best of Hammer Horror
    61v-gtHNQfL._SX300_QL70_.jpg
    The Mummy
    The Devil Rides Out
    Twins Of Evil
    Frankenstein Must Be destroyed
    Quartermass And The Pit
    The Vampires Lovers
    Taste The Blood Of Dracula
    The Legend Of The seven Golden Vampires
    Frankenstein And The Monster From Hell
    The Lost Continent
    Lust For A Vampire
    The Curse Of The Mummy's Tomb
    Scars Of Dracula

Two tracks from each film on this album.

There are some great themes, I have always been a big fan of the Hammer scores, the booklets have some very nice poster art.

The Dracula Suite and Taste the Blood Of Dracula are pretty much the entire scores on the first album above, really looking forward to listening to them especially the original Dracula film from Hammer.
    Since others have posted their favorite horror deaths

This one may be the most messed up one in the jaws franchise

She dies in front of a kid for crying out loud
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited August 7 Posts: 17,788
    I just got a BD of The Wicker Man- I've never seen it before. Watching it tonight. It's supposed to be pretty good....
    edited August 8 Posts: 17,788
    Okay. I just watched The Wicker Man. It sucked. Big time. Okay, Britt naked was really great, but otherwise it was a waste of my time. It started out SO good, the paranoia built really well, the twist was okay, but the end was such typical 70's "We're f***ed" trope. Hard to believe Christopher Lee thought it was good. He was SO much better in MWTGG.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Don't tell chris that Britt had a body double.
    Venutius wrote: »

LOL, will you be here all week?
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Venutius wrote: »

LOL, will you be here all week?

A body double was indeed used for the shots below the waist.
    Too nad you don't like the film, @chrisisall. But I'm glad you gave it a try.
    'The Wicker Man' isn't for everyone. Personally I love it! It's history is fascinating and some great books on its background! It's gone through various cuts, and took a long time to find a full cut. Yes, the lovely Britt used a body double, I believe because she was several months pregnant! Christopher Lee maintained it was his best film and promoted it at any given opportunity! Edward Woodward is marvellous as the pious policeman coming to the Island to find a missing girl and finding it's pagan occupants repulsive and hiding a dark secret! The music and singing all add to the weirdness, and the climax is brilliant twist! There's no gore, and it's just an air of unease and presents how a group are stoic in their twisted beliefs, and is a precursor to more modern movies like 'Midsommar', which I haven't seen!
    I love TWM as another disturbingly bleak '70s horror flick that demonstrates how powerless formal authority, conventional religion and "city smarts" can be versus pagan forces of evil that conspire against you. It also drowns the viewer in a mad chaos within the beauty of purity. The island life contrasts the life most of us have and justifies our fear of the unknown. Its themes of sex and going back to nature, often the epitome of relaxation and peace, lead us into a complete nightmare. I love when horror films make us first dream of something that seems unreachable, only to hit back hard with a cruel fate that cannot be escaped. Willow's dance is both alluring and ominous.
  • edited August 8 Posts: 7,200
    You worded it better than me @DarthDimi 😅
    Over the years I've upgraded this film several times, and recently bought a beautiful steelbook! I've watched it many times, and remember it being part of Alex Cox 'Moviedrome' series on T.V. about cult films!
    edited August 8 Posts: 24,069
    Thanks, @Mathis1. :-)

Now I'm not sure whether to suggest the Nic Cage remake of TWM to @chrisisall, or not. Or the strange "companion film" to the original, called The Wicker Tree.

The 2006 cage remake adds a theme of matriarchy being the natural enemy of men, the way bee hives treat their males. The entire film is about Cage having to keep safe from an elusive vaginal threat. So if that sounds like something you might enjoy, then go for it. If not,

fs2lk9zcdws4.jpg

I'm not exactly a fan of the 2006 film. It dares not venture where it should to fulfil its salacious mission. It's a half-baked sandwich at best.

I've only seen The Wicker Tree (2011) once, and it didn't move me. Hardy's back to direct, but he fails to accomplish what he did in 1973.
    I haven't seen the remake.....nor do I intend to!
    I've only read about The Wicker Tree, but it doesn't sound like it's interesting enough to watch!
    The original Wicker Man’s definitely one of my favorite horror movies ever, and probably the one I’d consider the very best in the sub-genre of cult and pagan horror films. Everything about it clicked for me. The remake was pretty painful, as much as I love Nicholas Cage.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited August 8 Posts: 13,613
    I saw The Wicker Man (1973) long ago, when seeking out cult films appearing in Danny Peary's Cult Movies volumes 1, 2, and eventually 3. It had its interesting points but I didn't fall in love with it has I have other movies.

Peary's shorter assessment in The Guide for the Film Fanatic (Simon & Schuster, 1986) calls out why it's remembered and maintains followers.

WICKER MAN, THE (British/1973) C/87m--102m. Written for the screen by Anthony Shaffer. Now that the long-suppressed 102-minte print of this one-of-a-kind occult film is in circulation, don't bother seeing the abbreviated television version. I find this cult film to be overrated and much less profound than the few critics who saw it in 1973 contended, but it's beautifully photographed by Harry Waxman, witty, erotic, and such an unusual entry in the horror genre--particularly because of Paul Giovanni's extensive and clever use of music (bawdy ballads are sung, acoustic instruments are played throughout)--that one can understand why it would impress many viewers. Edward Woodward, a devoutly religious, middle-aged policeman on the Scottish mainland, goes alone to Summerisle to investigate the disappearance of a teenaged girl. The people are friendly, but claim the girl never existed. His investigation tells him differently.
    During his stay he becomes aware of perverse sexual activity all around him. A lay preacher, he has to fight being intoxicated by the aura of sexuality; his fights his attraction to the innkeeper's sexy daughter, Britt Ekland (who seduces a young boy and does an erotic dance--both scenes are cut from shorter prints). He discovers that everyone on the island follows the pagan teachings of their leader, Christopher Lee (as Lord Summerisle). He thinks the missing teenager is to be sacrificed at the May Day ceremony so that there won't be another crop failure on the island. He doesn't realize that she is merely the bait to lure him, a good Christian, for sacrifice in the giant Wicker Man. Film is a combination of British TV's The Avengers and British horror films Doomwatch and Horror Hotel, in which Lee lures victims to Salem for sacrifice in a satanic rite. This is the only Christianity (good) vs. paganism (evil) film in which both are shown to be impotent. We believe neither Woodward's contention that he'll be resurrected nor Lee's that Woodward will be reincarnated. We don't believe Lee's contention that a blood sacrifice will bring about a successful crop or Woodward's that Lee will be punished for his sin (murder). Woodward is presented as a Christ figure, a stranger in a strange land run by a fake lord. What I find fault with is not that he is killed in the shocking finale, but that the villagers' and Lee's constant mockery of him (he ends up dressed as a fool) gives the impression that Shaffer is the one mocking him, not just questioning his beliefs. The film has a cheery feel (singing, dancing, happy people, comic touches, flowers, and sunshine); only when it's too late do we realize that paganism's cruel aspects are hidden under a shroud of joviality. With hindsight, nothing seems amusing. We realize that, as weird as these people on Summerisle are, their real-life counterparts indeed exist.
    Also with: Diane Cilento, Ingrid Pitt, Lindsay Kemp.

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited August 9 Posts: 24,776
    The Wicker Man (1973) is very much a film of its time and reflected real sensibilities of that era in England in the Woodward character. The Wicker Man is quite an ugly, mundane and bland film though that was the point, I was born in 1970's UK so I know,.

The film aimed for real rather than the fantastical, often the most effective horror is from the most realistic of circumstances.

Currently watching Revenge of the Sith, Christopher Lee career is remarkable.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Saw Cuckoo yesterday in probably the nicest theater I've ever attended, and I gotta say, the more I sit with it and dwell on it, the more and more I love it. I wish it was even campier than it was, but the European feel, retro design, German setting, and giallo stylization were spellbinding to me. It left me a little confused at times but kept me guessing throughout and I had a great time in the end.
    Paul Rudd and Jack Black are in talks to star in a reboot of Anaconda:

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3826885/jack-black-and-paul-rudd-in-talks-to-star-in-anaconda-reboot/
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Paul Rudd and Jack Black are in talks to star in a reboot of Anaconda:

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3826885/jack-black-and-paul-rudd-in-talks-to-star-in-anaconda-reboot/

Not really a series I have high desires for. I much prefer Lake Placid because it has more boo--I mean blood, more blood. But who knows, perhaps we might actually see a good Anaconda film for a change. ;-)
    Trailer for Wolf Man is arriving this week, possibly tomorrow:

https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2024/8/26/trailer-for-leigh-whannells-wolf-man-coming-this-week
    Robert Eggers' Nosferatu is finally set to premiere at the Leipzig Film Festival on September 17th, with its runtime listed as 132 minutes long.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I rather liked that first film.

thumbnail_image002.jpg?resize=768%2C960&ssl=1
    edited September 13 Posts: 24,776
    friday-the.gif
    Trying to decide which film from the series to watch tonight.

Edited: I have opted for the 2009 remake, not the biggest fan of this film so will give it anothr go.

Edited: 40 minutes in this is a tough watch the characters are way too obnoxious.
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, shame, I've loved that version since it dropped 15 years ago (which pains me to type out, knowing that was the last installment we had. What a travesty).