The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I have yet to watch the film and I'm sure I shall, but it sounds an awful lot like The Strangers from a few years ago. That said, if it's good, it's good. ;-)

It's much, much, much better than 'The Strangers.'
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Wow, the bar is raised. I rather liked The Strangers. What you're telling me now, @Creasy47, is that I've got to rush to the theatre. ;-)

Insidious 2 will be first though. ;-)
    @DarthDimi, absolutely! 'The Strangers' was excellent with a very eerie, scary feel to it, while 'You're Next' was more action-packed with lots of unique kills and interesting characters. Also, the wonderful Ti West makes an appearance in the film!

'Insidious 2' was scary as hell. I didn't expect it to be, because I've been so let down with highly anticipated horror films in the past, but it was a wonderful sequel.
    Anobody read classic ghosts stories here? During Halloween I read M.R. James, I am about to finish a book of ghost stories by E. Nesbit, I have a few more waiting for me.
    I'm currently reading the fiction of H.P. Lovecraft. Plenty of ghosts and monsters. But of course one must take into account the slightly older English. ;-)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3257208/will-the-new-friday-the-13th-be-found-footage-its-not-certain-yet/

A found footage F13 film? I don't see how that would work. Surely that would mean less Jason. Though personally I like it for it's uniqueness in the series, we have already seen an F13 film with less Jason, Jason Goes To Hell. And the last time I checked, there was quite a mountain of hate surrounding that one. Found footage is not for Friday The 13th, imo.
  • I think when done well, found footage can be good (Rec is one of my favourite horror films), but I'm not a huge fan of the format and I definitely don't think it's a good idea for a Friday The 13th film.
    @MajorDSmythe, I was reading an article on it, and couldn't agree more that it wouldn't work. The scare factor for me is watching the group of kids go from fun-going, pot-smoking, sex-seeking fiends to a group that is fighting for their lives, alongside with the mystery of not knowing where Jason is, questioning if he's right behind them, watching in wait.
    Plus, FF is gradually losing its appeal, much like the whole 3D thing. There used to be a time when it was fresh, cool, original and creative. Now it's more or less a matter of chasing after a dying trend. I don't like it. When Romero used it in Diary Of The Dead, I was extremely underwhelmed, not to say angry. Very - very poor. As for F13... All I want is a solid slasher film, period.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited October 2013 Posts: 13,978
    With 3D, it seems to come in waves; the 1950's, 1980's and the late 2000's. Don't get me wrong, i'm open to ways to keep the series fresh, i'm just not sure found footage is the way to go. They should continue in the same style as the reboot, but set the film in a snowy environment. That would be a Friday first, and would allow for some inventive kills.
    I loathe 3D. I stopped attending 3D showings for films years ago, and the only one that has ever impressed me was 'Avatar,' because it wasn't just tacked on garbage to milk a few extra dollars out of moviegoers.

That's all I ask of F13, as well: be a fantastic slasher. Beginning, middle, and end of my request.
    edited October 2013 Posts: 13,978
    http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3260926/los-angeles-see-a-rare-cut-of-halloween-vi-the-curse-of-michael-myers-in-35mm-this-saturday/

It's now Monday, and there hasn't been any update on whether this was a cleaned up print. The official word from Disney was that they had no intention of releasing the PD cut. But what about now?
    I saw that an Alamo in Austin is playing 'Halloween V' in 35MM, and when I checked my local Alamo, they're playing the original 'Halloween' but they stated nothing about format, cut, anything. I have it on blu-ray, so I'll pass on going out to see it in theaters.

@MajorDSmythe, let me know if you hear anything on that 'Halloween VI' showing, I'm curious.
    Will do. I actually like The Curse Of Michael Myers. Excluding the first two films, it's my next favourite film in the series. After 18 years, isn't it about time that the Producer's Cut emerged from the shadows?
    Will do. I actually like The Curse Of Michael Myers. Excluding the first two films, it's my next favourite film in the series. After 18 years, isn't it about time that the Producer's Cut emerged from the shadows?

I would say so, absolutely, and what better time than Halloween?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    From what I can recall, I quite like what The Curse of Michael Myers did for the series; it was a cool idea, and a film I need to revisit. These are my favorite horror slasher films, so they are always going to be special to me, but I have issues with the rather shoddy continuity that exists in the films at times. I love to view the first two films as Carpenter and co.'s separate take on the character, and the rest of the films in the series mere creative interpretations by other minds. It can often get confusing sorting out all the retconning and alternate timelines present in the series.
    I haven't seen the fourth film in a long time, but I really want to buy it after watching the trailer and remembering so much of it from when I was a kid. Any thoughts on it from those who have seen it relatively recently?
    I can reluctantly admit to being a bit of a fan of The Return Of MM, @Creasy47, but not because I think it's a good film but because a) it's the much needed return of MM, much needed after Season Of The Witch, and b) because it stars a young but rather talented Danielle Harris. Overall though, this is where we see a nasty decline in the quality of the Halloween films, however much of an improvement it was over number 3. Still, things wouldn't start to get good again until we reach H2O - which I must continually explain to my students has nothing to do with water.
    edited October 2013 Posts: 40,859
    It's crazy how Harris seems so cute and innocent in IV and V, then she's a hard-partying "teenager" showing her chest off in Zombie's remake.

EDIT: Fans of the first - definitely me - will be excited to hear that 'Trick 'R Treat 2' has been confirmed:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3261921/breaking-trick-r-treat-2-is-happening/
    edited November 2013 Posts: 13,978
    Halloween 4 was ok, though I didn't like the way the mask looked, which continued up to H20 (which I didn't like). Resurrection, for all it's faults, had the best looking mask since the first 2 films.

Prepare yourselves, this is a disheartening to read..

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3261527/mainstream-media-makes-a-big-deal-out-of-millenials-not-liking-halloween/

Is that the next generation of horror 'fans'? If there are ever MinorDSmythe's, like myself, I will introduce them to horror early, and make sure they're aware of the classics. Whether they would like them or not, would be up to them, but at least they would know of the films that were made before they were born.
    Halloween 4 was ok, though I didn't like the way the mask looked, which continued up to H20 (which I didn't like). Resurrection, for all it's faults, had the best looking mask since the first 2 films.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3261527/mainstream-media-makes-a-big-deal-out-of-millenials-not-liking-halloween/

Is that the next generation of horror 'fans'? If there are ever MinorDSmythe's, like myself, I will introduce them to horror early, and make sure they're aware of the classics. Whether they would like them or not, would be up to them, but at least they would know of the film that were made before they were born.

Those 'people' who found the 2006 version of The Omen to be scarier than the original, need to be taken out back and shot. Otherwise, humanity is well and truly screwed!
    Creasy47 wrote:
    It's crazy how Harris seems so cute and innocent in IV and V, then she's a hard-partying "teenager" showing her chest off in Zombie's remake.

EDIT: Fans of the first - definitely me - will be excited to hear that 'Trick 'R Treat 2' has been confirmed:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3261921/breaking-trick-r-treat-2-is-happening/

I'm pleased to read that. I love the film, own the comic and the soundtrack and it's by now become something of a Halloween tradition for me. Watched it yesterday after The Ward. ;-)

I sure hope Anna Paquin is back for sloppy seconds. ;-)

Is that the next generation of horror 'fans'? If there are ever MinorDSmythe's, like myself, I will introduce them to horror early, and make sure they're aware of the classics. Whether they would like them or not, would be up to them, but at least they would know of the films that were made before they were born.

Don't even get me started on that trash article. I read it on Yahoo when it was posted about three or four days ago, and I was absolutely STUNNED at the fact that Yahoo (who never seems to come up with any relevant, worthy-of-a-read news piece) decided to write up an entire article to deem films like 'Halloween' as "not scary" anymore because...

...they did an experiment with ten college kids. Whaaaat? Alright, now I won't even begin talking about it. It's a joke, though, that's what it is. I guarantee you that people who don't find certain moments in 'Halloween' to be eerie or scary are the same ones who go to films like 'Disturbia' or the remake of 'Prom Night' and jump at each and every single moment.
    So much 'Hellraiser' lately, it's insane, and in such a bizarre order. I watched the fourth, then the third (my favorite), then the fifth, now the first. Don't think I'll venture into the others. I remember the one with Dean Winters (the sixth one?) being terrible, and I don't particularly want to see the others. They look terrible.
    I wouldn't recommend going beyond 4, though some might say not to venture past Hell On Earth (#3), but I liked Bloodline (#4). Hellseeker (#6) did have one thing going for it, the return of Ashley Laurence, otherwise that film did nothing to ease the decline of the series.
    @MajorDSmythe, I think stopping at 'Bloodline' is the best - it's still watchable and I like it. The fifth was terrible, and I think I might watch 'Hellseeker' shortly for Laurence's return, though I think I watched it many years ago and I don't remember much from it. Is it similar to five in that it focuses more on humans and their dark deeds, rather than the Cenobites?

I can't find a standalone blu-ray for 'Hell On Earth,' just a trilogy box set. I think I might buy it, it's well worth the price of $20 or $30.
    The only thing that could make the Hellraiser sequels 5 to 8 worth watching, is that they mostly stop working from the original story lines and drag Leviathan, the box and the cenobites into isolated stories, just like the older Hellraiser comics used to do. I like the idea of having 'ordinary' people - other than the Cottons and the LeMerchants - get mixed up in the affairs of boundless torture from Hell. You see, the original comics were individual tales of people at various points in time and in various places on Earth ending up in grave suffering by the chains of the cenobites and the luring mysteries of the Lament Configuration. However, does this mean we should just keep spawning sequel after sequel? Nah, of course not. And while I value Bradley's presence in all of them and have a secret place for Hellworld in my heart, I think the overall quality of all the sequels after 4 is such a departure from the original film, they put a Hellraiser fan through a lot of suffering as well, but not the kind that equals Pinhead's definition of pleasure...
    edited November 2013 Posts: 40,859
    @DarthDimi, I don't believe Pinhead even know what kind of 'torture pleasure' watching any of the films 5 - 8 (especially #9) is. He couldn't even dream of it.

I think you're right, though: we needn't have pointless sequel after sequel, but focusing on someone else that isn't the LeMerchants or the Cottons works, too. Like you said, just have some people who stumble upon the box, knowing nothing about it, one accidentally opens it, and boom, here comes Pinhead and the Cenobites. I think that's what I enjoyed so much about 'Hell On Earth': DJ is obsessed with dark arts and overall dark sculptures, paintings, etc. He manages to find a situation where this one object he purchased is even more dark than he originally expected, and it sets forth a chain of events that will release Pinhead and the Cenobites. Things don't work out 100% to plan, yet Pinhead can use that "charm," if you will, to cater to the requests of someone else: her dreams. He puts that spin on it and now you've just garnered the attention of so many people throughout the movie, leading up to one intense, scary finale.

Man, I love that movie so much. It's hated on a lot, but it's one of the rare few I could continuously watch. That trilogy I spoke of was $40...but I think I've found the perfect Christmas gift for myself.

EDIT: Well, the trilogy I was looking at was Region 2 - Italian, I think - so it would be worthless for me to purchase. But, I found a steelbook edition of the first three films, and it's region free - the only one I could find - but it's $50, with $12 shipping. So costly, but it would be so nice. I e-mailed both the company that distributed it and the store that sells it to make sure that it is in fact region free. I've read online that it is, I just want confirmation from them. If it is, I know what I'm asking my girlfriend for for Christmas.
    Apparently, David O. Russell wrote a horror film a few years ago that Eli Roth might direct:

http://www.slashfilm.com/david-o-russell-wrote-a-horror-film-eli-roth-might-direct/#more-203953

Also, it looks like we'll be getting a 'Jeepers Creepers 3':

http://www.slashfilm.com/jeepers-creepers-3-back-in-motion/
    The Jeepers Creepers films have passed me by, i've seen neither of them.