The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The Jeepers Creepers films have passed me by, i've seen neither of them.

Haven't seen the first one in a long time, seen the second one a good bit, it's really entertaining for what it is. You should give them a shot. Even if you blind buy them, they'll both be really cheap almost anywhere you look.
    A sequel to 'The Purge' is scheduled for June 20th, 2014:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=111619

Looks like it'll come along quickly as there's no confirmed cast or plot, yet, unless it's all confirmed behind-the-scenes and they've yet to announce it.
    Chalk up another film I'm looking forward to in 2015: the 13th 'Friday the 13th' film will hit theaters then (hopefully not with a found-footage angle):

http://www.slashfilm.com/thirteenth-friday-the-13th-will-kill-in-2015/
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Agreed, @Creasy47! I'm getting sicker by the film of the found footage misery. As if it's the only kind of low-budget moviemaking left. I will say though that I like V/H/S very much...
    Apparently, from that article, it won't be a sequel to the 2009 film, which is a shame. Yet another standalone film.

'V/H/S' is fantastic. One of the rare few that I enjoy in terms of found footage. I really liked 'V/H/S 2', as well.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    A reboot seems reasonable as Paramount have regained the rights. New Line did exactly the same in 1993. Now if this new one can gather enough momentum for sequels to follow...
    I just don't want a reboot, then another reboot in five or six years, then another reboot in five or six or seven years...

Just give us another continuous line of films involving Jason slaughtering teens for 90 - 120 minutes. That's all I ask. Oh, and try it in the winter, too.
    edited November 2013 Posts: 24,069
    I want a Freddy vs Twilight crossover. I can't wait to see Freddy butcher some fake vampires. And Taylor Lautner's character must suffer twice as hard. Twice.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I just don't want a reboot, then another reboot in five or six years, then another reboot in five or six or seven years...

Just give us another continuous line of films involving Jason slaughtering teens for 90 - 120 minutes. That's all I ask. Oh, and try it in the winter, too.

I don't mind this one being a reboot, but that it, no more rebooting of the series after this. Hopefully this one will have enough momentum to get the series up and running, with a new film every 2 - 3 years.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I want a Freddy vs Twilight crossover. I can't wait to see Freddy butcher some fake vampires. And Taylor Lautner's character must suffer twice as hard. Twice.

How about Freddy vs Jason vs Twilight? Just imagine the Twilight characters caught in the middle of Freddy vs Jason: Round 2.
    @MajorDSmythe, that's fine with me, as long as it's the last reboot for the time being.
    It turns out that Platinum Dunes will still be involved, albeit in a producing capacity:
    http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3266560/exclusive-platinum-dunes-behind-13th-friday-the-13th/

It's not plot details, but an interesting nugget of information all the same.
    I'm just excited that another F13 is ramping up, especially the 13th film. The only way I see me being disappointed pre-production is if they go the FF route.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    You'd think the people behind F13 would have something brilliant in store, especially this time around.
    You'd think the people behind F13 would have something brilliant in store, especially this time around.

I just say give the fans what they want. Ditch the found footage angle, give us something new (A SNOW SETTING, I REPEAT, A SNOW SETTING) to work with, something interesting, and above all else, keep to the basics of what makes it entertaining: exciting, gory, unique kills.
    Along with the snow setting that been kicked around since talk started on the next film, I would also like to see the Bloodbath comics adapted.

I've done a bit of further digging around, and uncovered this:

http://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/news/found-footage-friday-the-13th-still-alive-adam-green-once-approached-to-direct

Firstly, if Adam Green directed the next film it would be a 'by the fans for the fans' film and secondly, they need to ditch any intention towards the found footage approach and hire Green. The Hatchet films are practically Friday The 13th films, just with a different villain.
    American Horror Story anyone?

This show is really starting to grow quite tiresome. Season 1 was good old fashioned ghost story. creepy with a good cast.
    Season two they used a setting in an Asylum set in 1962. Okay fine but it was just too gory. I guess when all else fails Hollywood resort to gross out instead of trying to really be scary. I hate this trend.
    Now Season 3 about modern day witches is getting old and downright stupid. The plot is so convoluted and like season 2 they are resorting to trying to gross us out instead of scare audiences.

The plot is all over the map, the characters are not sympathethic and I just find it hard to give a rats ass about them or what happens to any of them. Jessica Lange is a fine actress but her character is really getting on my nerve. Danny Huston has promise but because the story is getting overly complicated I find him wasted. Angela Bassett and Kathy Bates are good actressess but due to the outrageous plot and emphasis on gore...nuff said.

The writers are showing that they are not up to the task. Maybe they should go spend time watching some Asian horror (Japanese, Chinese or Korean it doesn't matter) so they can learn how to scare audiences. Or if they are too stupid to read subtitles then they should go back in American archives and watch films like "The Haunting" (1963) or more recently, "The Conjuring".

Then maybe they can get back to the business of scaring us and not grossing us out.
    I thought season one was fantastic, eerie, and scary. I've yet to watch season two - been waiting for it to hit Netflix Instant to give it a watch - and from the get-go, the plot of season three doesn't interest me in the slightest. Any reason why the show is turning more to gore and less to scares?
    I don't get it. The Conjuring was a very scary and well done romp. It made a ton of money. I just get so fed up with how American Horror Story has stooped to the buckets of gore. It's not scary just sick.
    Whatever happened to setting the mood with music, showing the actors terror, using lighting, shadows? The Blair Witch Project (the first one) used techniques perfected in the original The Haunting. They need to rely on allowing the audience to use their imagination. The Haunting is a classic ghost story but if you go back and look at that classic, you will notice that there is not one ghost seen in the entire movie.
    edited December 2013 Posts: 40,859
    I've been interested in watching 'The Haunting,' and I got excited a few hours ago when I found it on Netflix Instant, but sadly, it appears to be a remake, which I'm sure ruins whatever made the original excellent.

EDIT: Frank Grillo will lead 'The Purge 2':

http://www.slashfilm.com/frank-grillo-to-lead-the-purge-2/
    American Mary has made it onto IGN's 'Top 10 Movies You May Have Missed in 2013' list, earning the place of #6.

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2013/12/23/top-10-movies-you-may-have-missed-in-2013

=D>
    The only two I saw on that list were 'Don Jon' and 'Stoker,' the latter being my favorite of the two.
    They were talking of a found footage halloween movie so we will see.
    Here's something the world didn't ask for: a found footage 'Amityville' sequel is coming in 2015:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=112854
    I read that on the BBC website a Point Break remake is on the way too. A script has already been written but Keanu Reeves has ruled himself out of it.
    A countdown of the 10 Top Horror Movie Masks:

I can't argue with #1. =D>
    http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3272558/jason-might-not-be-in-new-friday-the-13th/

Oh... I don't like the sound of that. Just drop the idea, and hire Adam Green for a more conventional F13 film. Green even said that he'd reconsider if Paramount drop the found footage idea.
    Oh no... NO FOUND FOOTAGE!

What's this all about? Paranormal Activity is boring as hell; its popularity is mostly caused by the recent uprising of superstition and religious hyperbelief in the USA (and beyond). But now everything must be found footage, it seems.
    I've heard it might possibly be found footage without Jason. What an absolute joke.
  • To be fair Jason wasn't the villain in the first film (and didn't get his hockey mask until the 3rd film), so it's not like it's blasphemy not to include him. Not having him in it might spice things up a bit which is really needed at this point.

I'm not too keen on the found footage idea though.
    To be fair Jason wasn't the villain in the first film (and didn't get his hockey mask until the 3rd film), so it's not like it's blasphemy not to include him. Not having him in it might spice things up a bit which is really needed at this point.

I'm not too keen on the found footage idea though.

But that was the first film, and they already went with the reboot route, which re-introduced Jason. Why do it all over again just to not have him in it?