The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday barely had Jason, other than the opening, climax and one shot somewhere in the middle. But to me, Jason IS Friday the 13th. It's a shame that the '09 film didn't have the momentum to get the series up and running, so it goes without saying that I hope this one does.
    Well what if they use Jason similar Jason goes to hell like Ghost Jason.....
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Honestly, for what it's worth, I did enjoy the reboot. I thought it was very intense and I loved that they spiced it up a bit by making it more realistic, i.e. Jason running.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Risico007 wrote:
    Well what if they use Jason similar Jason goes to hell like Ghost Jason.....

That's one of my favourite Friday The 13th films, unfortunately, not many people share such an opinion.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Honestly, for what it's worth, I did enjoy the reboot. I thought it was very intense and I loved that they spiced it up a bit by making it more realistic, i.e. Jason running.

I enjoyed it too. It's a wasted opportunity to disregard the '09 reboot.
    Watched You're Next last night. That was pretty decent I have to say.

I thought it was amazing. Brought a nice twist to the home invasion genre.
  • SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    Creasy47 wrote:

I thought it was amazing. Brought a nice twist to the home invasion genre.

I thought it was OK, nothing special
    It got some amazing reviews in the two years before it was given a wide release in theaters, and it lived up to the hype, I felt.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I've just finished watching Frankenstein (1931) en Bride Of Frankenstein (1935). Amazing stuff they pulled off back in the 30s!

Horrific? Not anymore. But I can see why people ran out of the theatre screaming back then.
    It looks like Cary Fukunaga (director of the HBO series 'True Detective') may have his next full-length film lined up: Stephen King's 'IT.'

I've been waiting years for more news on this, so hearing something like this really excites me. Thoughts on who could play Pennywise as well as Curry? Any interest in having Curry return?
    Tom Savini Isn't Directing 'Friday the 13th'
    Allegedly, special effects legend Tom Savini was at the Mad Monster Party in North Carolina this weekend telling fans that he’s “being courted” to direct the next Friday the 13th.
    Instead of rushing to post false news for the traffic bump, we did the work, checked with our sources, and were able to learn that this is completely untrue.
    What we did find out, however, is that Paramount Pictures and Platinum Dunes are currently in discussions for a director to bring the Voorhees family back from the grave.
    Watch for news on that soon here on Bloody Disgusting.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3285094/tom-savini-isnt-directing-friday-the-13th/

---

Adam Green is my pick, or to go a bit out of the box, Jen & Silvia Soska.
  • SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    edited March 2014 Posts: 578
    Creasy47 wrote:
    It looks like Cary Fukunaga (director of the HBO series 'True Detective') may have his next full-length film lined up: Stephen King's 'IT.'

I've been waiting years for more news on this, so hearing something like this really excites me. Thoughts on who could play Pennywise as well as Curry? Any interest in having Curry return?

Was never the biggest fan of It, but would like to see a reworking of the film, maybe with better acting perhaps. I always found Curry more funny than scary.

• edited March 2014 Posts: 45
    I'm all in favour of another Friday the 13th. The integrity of the franchise was about as short-lived as those pre-marital sex loving holographic simulations in Jason X and is unlikely to ever return even in a zombified form, so yet another potentially - or maybe likely - lackluster entry couldn't do much harm. We can always hope for a bit of fun.

Since the earliest films of the series are my favourites, I suppose I would hope for something in that vein. On the other hand, the 2009 reboot did cover that ground pretty well so it might be time to try something else. I do find the idea of leaving Jason out of a new film somewhat alluring. But the probability of a Friday the 13th film doing that these days - especially for the long awaited 13th entry - seems exceedingly unlikely. Another reboot would seem like a safe bet. If so, like Creasy47 I at least hope we get to see Crystal lake in wintertime for a change.
    @OtisFairplay, the way they were talking, it seemed like we were getting a found-footage 'Friday the 13th' film, sans Jason, which sounds awful to me. Ever since the 2009 reboot was released and the rumor mill started up, all I've wanted was a snow-capped winter locale for the next film. They could incorporate so much with a simple weather change: Jason tracking footprints, victims trying to hide in the snow, even the kills would look so insane with red splashed upon copious amounts of white.
    Adam Green was offered the directors chair, but turned it down (not wanting to see a found footage Friday). I know that this is a long shot, but I am going to pray that Platinum Dunes want him enough to forget about the found footage film.

Even though it's not distributed by Platinum Dunes, the found footage angle has been dropped from the next Amityville Horror film...
  • Yes, I seem to remember hearing rumours of a found footage angle for the next entry soon after the release of the 2009 reboot. At the time it seemed like a poor idea and a blatant attempt to jump on a bandwagon. Today it would seem like a poor idea and blatant flogging of a dead horse. No discernible improvement, I think. Mind you, I'm not completely averse to the use of the found footage gimmick in general as a film like Cannibal Holocaust remains an effectively nasty piece of manipulative filmmaking. I deeply doubt the format could effectively be applied to a slasher film though, so I hope the prayers of #MajorDSmythe doesn't go unanswered.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    all I've wanted was a snow-capped winter locale for the next film. They could incorporate so much with a simple weather change: Jason tracking footprints, victims trying to hide in the snow, even the kills would look so insane with red splashed upon copious amounts of white.

That's the kind of Winter Wonderland to hope for.
    edited March 2014 Posts: 24,077
    I'm interested to hear about this IT remake. The original film by Tommy Lee Wallace is very low-budget but unlike most other cheap films based on King's stories, IT gets my fullest attention. I love the story, I love Curry as Pennywise.

I have, to be fair, a very special relationship with IT. (Perhaps I have told this story before, I'm not sure.) Remember that English is not my native language. So when I was 9 years old, I read "IT" as "E.T." (in Dutch) in some television magazine and decided to stay up late - it was a mid-Summer night, no school - to watch this film about the friendly alien that I'd heard so much about. Little did I know what I was about to see.
    And yet, clumsy little me kept faith in the friendly alien film, even after a scary clown had attacked a boy from the sewers. I figured, the film's got kids, it's probably the right film. About half an hour in, it had become very clear I wasn't watching E.T. (English lesson: "IT" is pronounced differently in English and in Dutch) So what is a smart boy supposed to do when he realises that he's watching an age inappropriate horror flick? Turn the bloody thing off!
    But not me. Horror is in Dimi's genes and right there and then I recognised the fact. Granted, I was also too scared to physically approach the TV in order to switch it off (no remote back then). After all, what if Penny would reach out for me? But the fact remains that I stayed put to finish the film, against my better judgement. Lo and behold! I loved it. I ate this thing up. I also spent the next couple of weeks sleeping with the lights on, but I had tasted my share of horror and little Dimi wanted more. I actually hypothesise that without this almost traumatic yet suspiciously amusing experience, I might have brought an entirely different voice to this thread. So IT is where my affiliation with the horror film began, by accident no less, and I cherish the film for that.

I'm all for a remake though. Better effects, possibly better acting (although any film with Olivia Hussey raises my interest) is something to look forward to. Not sure if anyone can wipe the memory of Curry's delicious performance from my brain, but we'll see.

To round things off, I'm not too big a King fan, though I make it my business to see ALL of the King adaptations for the sake of completism. (It helps that Now Playing Podcast has set out to review them all in the coming years.) I failed to get passed the first 100 pages of King's Salem's Lot and I have mentally projected this disappointment on all of King's books and film adaptations, which I know is wrong by the way. Of course I love Carrie, Kubrick's The Shining, Christine, IT and a couple more. But bogus like The Mangler, The Graveyard Shift, Trucks, King's The Shining, ... challenges my patience. One guilty pleasure: The Langoliers. Universally panned by critics and fans, but somehow one of my favourite King adaptations.
    Looks like there's a Phantasm V prepared for release this year. I've rather liked Coscarelli's series so far; I'm ready to take this one in as soon as it's released.
    I saw the news on B-D.com. Not only has it been 16 years since the last Phantasm film, but in that time, the series has not been remade / rebooted.
    edited April 2014 Posts: 13,978
    David Bruckner chosen to helm the next Friday The 13th...

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3288477/guess-who-is-directing-friday-the-13th/

It's news, at least. But i'm more than a bit disappointed (I might even get worked up into a hissy fit later), that Adam Green wasn't chosen. The Hatchet films show that he could have easily handled a Friday film.
    @MajorDSmythe, I'm in agreement there. I would've preferred Green, but at least they've chosen someone. Now it's time to dispel those awful found-footage rumors.
    Don't get me wrong, i',m glad that now that the films has a director, it move into production (preferably now that found footage angle). But I was so looking forward to an Adam Green Friday film set in the snow
    edited April 2014 Posts: 40,865
    I agree, but that sounds like near perfection, so of course it wasn't going to happen! That really would've been amazing, and could've boosted the popularity of F13 once more.

I just don't want another reboot so soon after the last. I thought the 2009 film was phenomenal and I really would've loved a sequel that picks up from the ending of the 2009 version. Don't go found footage, don't try and heavily alter the formula, just give us a solid Jason film. Hell, bring back the team from the reboot, I would be happy with that.
    edited April 2014 Posts: 13,978
    To celebrate the 30th Anniversary of A Nightmare On Elm Street, NECA are releasing a new Freddy figure:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3289433/toys-neca-reveals-30th-anniversary-ultimate-freddy-figure/

That's a fantastic looking figure. The only Freddy figure I have is NECA's New Nightmare Freddy. Which is surrounded by 5 Jasons. :))
    @MajorDSmythe, the detail in that figurine is astounding.

This is random, but for anyone who watches the 'Paranormal Activity' films for the hell of it, did you see 'The Marked Ones,' and if so, what'd you think? I saw the trailer for it months back and thought it looked terrible, but after my buddy told me how scary it was, I'm interested in checking it out.
    I haven't seen any of the Paranormal Activity films, the advertising I've seen just doesn't grab me, same with The Marked Ones.

There's a Friday 13th tv series in the pipeline, this time with Jason:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3290591/breaking-friday-13th-tv-series-announced/
    That Freddt figure is bloody great! :D
    I want to know when the next in the Jason figures is coming from them. I assume that they will skip A New Beginning, and go straight to Zombie Jason from Jason Lives.
    The Haunting Of Molly Hartley to get a sequel.

This time, Molly isn’t haunted, she’s possessed.

Another bit of breaking news out of Cannes as Bloody Disgusting tipster “Horror Benz” tells us that Fox Home Entertainment is moving on a sequel to the 2008 dog fest The Haunting of Molly Hartley.

My source tells me that Fox is readying The Exorcism of Molly Hartley, with I Spit on Your Grave‘s Steven R. Monroe taking on directing duties. Haley Bennett played Molly in the first film. No word on if she’ll return.

What we’re told is that the sequel follows Molly Hartley (clearly) who, after a night of heavy partying, finds her friends butchered. While locked in a mental hospital for observation, she becomes possessed by a demon. Her fellow inmate, a defrocked priest named Father John Barrow, hopes to save her.

Honestly, it sounds sounds like the worst of every haunting/exorcism movie ever made.

Matt Venne – who has made a career out of writing sequels, such as Leprechaun: Origins, White Noise 2: The Light, Fright Night 2 and Mirrors 2 – penned the screenplay for the direct-to-VOD sequel that begins shooting this summer in Winnipeg.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/exclusives/3293118/haunting-molly-hartley-sequel/

The Haunting Of Molly Hartley was ok (it didn't make my best of 2000-2009 list). And it isn't as if it was met with financial success, nor has it garnered a cult following, so I am surprised at this news.
    I don't think a F13 TV series is going to be a good idea, as it'll obviously have to be heavily dumbed down with language, nudity, blood, gore, etc. It just won't be the same. I don't see why anyone thinks it's a great idea, either, just like the 'Scream' TV series.