Who should be a Bond girl?

Comments

Does anyone know how they found Izabella Scorupco? She was virtually unknown at the time, I assume?

I don't know her story but I assume she was at least doing modeling work, had had some acting training, and had an agent plugging her into small roles. I assume the net is cast far and wide when scoping potential Bond girls. The odd Halle Berry aside, many of those who audition probably are just models with acting training.

Part of me wants to see someone we've never heard of for the next film.

I agree. I actually think in general Bond girls work better as unknown or semi-known actresses.
    Blackman? Rigg? Green? Would these movies have worked better with "unknowns?"
    patb wrote: »
    Blackman? Rigg? Green? Would these movies have worked better with "unknowns?"

None of them were big stars when cast. Blackman and Rigg were known in the UK but they were no Marilyn Monroe or Elizabeth Taylor. Green was not very famous, certainly not compared to Halle Berry, Denise Richards or Teri Hatcher. Monica Bellucci and Lea Seydoux were more famous but then again no big Hollywood stars and I'd argue that their reknown was rather limited.
  • Sure, they may not have had the megastar status of a Halle Berry or Denise Richards prior to Bond, but Blackman, Rigg, Green, Bellucci, and Seydoux were all known. As opposed to say Berenice Marlohe, Olga Kurylenko, Gemma Arterton, or Caterina Murino—the unknowns.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 11,425
    Olga Kurylenko and Gemma Arterton we not unknowns, any more than Lea Seydoux.

What about Gal Gadot? - runs for cover. Haven't even seen Wonder Woman btw, but she looks kind of interesting. No idea how she is an actress.

• Getafix wrote: »

Strongly disagree on this one. Seydoux had exponentially greater pre-Bond exposure than either Kurylenko or Arterton (though I notice Kurylenko did do a Hitman film the year before QoS—did anyone see that though?).

In addition to her extensive work in French cinema, Seydoux had appeared in M:I - Ghost Protocol, Midnight in Paris, and The Grand Budapest Hotel, as well as her popular Prada commercials. Seydoux was definitely out there.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    Getafix wrote: »

Strongly disagree on this one. Seydoux had exponentially greater pre-Bond exposure than either Kurylenko or Arterton (though I notice Kurylenko did do a Hitman film the year before QoS—did anyone see that though?).

In addition to her extensive work in French cinema, Seydoux had appeared in M:I - Ghost Protocol, Midnight in Paris, and The Grand Budapest Hotel, as well as her popular Prada commercials. Seydoux was definitely out there.

She hit the spotlight with "Blue Is The Warmest Colour" (It won a Palme d'Or).
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2017 Posts: 23,883
    What about Gal Gadot? - runs for cover. Haven't even seen Wonder Woman btw, but she looks kind of interesting. No idea how she is an actress.
    Gadot was considered for QoS but Kurylenko was picked instead. In fact, I read somewhere that she became a full time actress because of her casting call for QoS. She would have been excellent, but that ship has sailed.
  • Getafix wrote: »

Yes, I'd even forgotten that one. That was really her big breakout moment.

And it doesn't hurt either she'd previously been in Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds.

Yes, I'd even forgotten that one. That was really her big breakout moment.

And it doesn't hurt either she'd previously been in Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds.
    Seydoux is a perfect example of why they should go with unknowns imho (disappointing). I've always felt that they have been more successful with actresses who nobody has heard of or seen before.
    Sure, they may not have had the megastar status of a Halle Berry or Denise Richards prior to Bond, but Blackman, Rigg, Green, Bellucci, and Seydoux were all known. As opposed to say Berenice Marlohe, Olga Kurylenko, Gemma Arterton, or Caterina Murino—the unknowns.

Fame is of course a relative concept but they were no big stars. I daresay that neither Seydoux nor Green are stars now. More like semi-famous actresses, known for a handful of roles by a certain public.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Does anyone think Maria Freudenstein should be adapted to the big screen?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I always thought Jessica Chastain would make helluva of Maria Freudenstein.
    Oh I think this picture alone of Gal Gadot can immediately qualify her as a Bond Girl.

64335f6ca2ad3ee6c2fbd3d5a4c5d965.jpg
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    IMO she fits the femme fatale mould far better.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Brian-Jaw-Drop.gif
    IMO she fits the femme fatale mould far better.

Add "playful" to the category, as well, and we have the Bond Girl we've been looking for. The Wai-Lin/Jinx type.
    Oh I think this picture alone of Gal Gadot can immediately qualify her as a Bond Girl.

Stunning! Simply stunning Wonder Woman or not! She should be in the Bond universe!
    RogueAgent wrote: »

Stunning! Simply stunning Wonder Woman or not! She should be in the Bond universe!

Do you think they used Photoshop or something similar?
    Photoshop Babe...............
    As I've mentioned before, she was in the running for QoS and was passed up for Olga. It's what got her into full time acting, so the Bond people did the world a favour at least.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited June 2017 Posts: 8,318
    bondjames wrote: »
    As I've mentioned before, she was in the running for QoS and was passed up for Olga. It's what got her into full time acting, so the Bond people did the world a favour at least.

And this way she might actually star in a good Bond film someday.

Haha.. Sadly, I don't think we'll ever see her in a Bond film now that she's just become a major star. She's more likely to be anchoring films going forward, like Angelina did for a while.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 15,423

Haha.. Sadly, I don't think we'll ever see her in a Bond film now that she's just become a major star. She's more likely to be anchoring films going forward, like Angelina did for a while.
    I don't think she has reached the Angelina Jolie level, though. Jolie's popularity was boosted all at once to unbelievable cores ever since she gained recognition with Lara Croft: Tomb Raider. Gal isn't there, yet, in my opinion.

I don't think she has reached the Angelina Jolie level, though. Jolie's popularity was boosted all at once to unbelievable cores ever since she gained recognition with Lara Croft: Tomb Raider. Gal isn't there, yet, in my opinion.
    I completely agree. It's just that she is a very recognizable face now (both due to the FF series and now also because of WW). The pressure on her to choose the right roles will be quite great, especially since her WW is a role model for girls etc. I just don't see Bond in the cards.

I completely agree. It's just that she is a very recognizable face now (both due to the FF series and now also because of WW). The pressure on her to choose the right roles will be quite great, especially since her WW is a role model for girls etc. I just don't see Bond in the cards.
    True, but she did go on to star in rather unsuccessful films with abysmal scripts like Keeping Up With The Joneses and such, even though her role was demanding of an action woman type, which is what she's slowly getting known for, especially judging by her military background, as well.

Now, that I remembered, I do believe if they get it right, and treat it like a high quality matter to win over many people instead of pursuing Oscars and gain the approval of dramatists, I think they could easily incorporate Gal into a Bond film. After all, they did get Javier Bardem and Christoph Waltz into Bond films, didn't they? Both are high profile actors.

Having this piece there develops my hunger to see her in a Bond film:

True, but she did go on to star in rather unsuccessful films with abysmal scripts like Keeping Up With The Joneses and such, even though her role was demanding of an action woman type, which is what she's slowly getting known for, especially judging by her military background, as well.

Now, that I remembered, I do believe if they get it right, and treat it like a high quality matter to win over many people instead of pursuing Oscars and gain the approval of dramatists, I think they could easily incorporate Gal into a Bond film. After all, they did get Javier Bardem and Christoph Waltz into Bond films, didn't they? Both are high profile actors.

It can certainly be done. As you said though, since she's done Keeping Up with the Jones (which I've seen), FF & now WW, there is a potential risk of being type cast (as a sort of action girl) if she stars in a Bond film (I can't really see her as a damsel in distress).

Where I can see her fit in is if Bond goes to Israel, and she is given a role in her element as an IDF or Mossad type liason.

It can certainly be done. As you said though, since she's done Keeping Up with the Jones (which I've seen), FF & now WW, there is a potential risk of being type cast (as a sort of action girl) if she stars in a Bond film I can't really see her as a damsel in distress).

Where I can see her fit in is if Bond goes to Israel, and she is given a role in her element as an IDF or Mossad type liason.
    Precisely. And I personally am tired of seeing damsels in distress in Bond films who are often moody, brooding and are hiding from their pasts. It's become a very utterly tiresome spiral in the Bond Girl position. I'd say time for a change for a lighter, action girl type of a Bond Girl with playful side. Gal can deliver that beautifully.
    I could see Sofia Boutella being a main girl. Not a henchwoman since that's too much like her role in Kingsman.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 11,425

A shame. I think she would have been better than Olga.

A shame. I think she would have been better than Olga.
    I'm not so sure. At least not in 2008. I've seen Gadot in the FF series and while very attractive, she didn't make much of an impression in other ways. She's 'filled out nicely' as she prepared herself for WW, and is much more substantial looking these days. Probably a better actress now too, on account of experience.

I wasn't much of a fan of Olga in 2008 (like most things/people in QoS vs CR, I didn't think she compared favourably to the exceptional Eva Green). In particular, I couldn't understand some of what she was saying (she had to put on a fake Latin accent, which resulted in a bit of slurring). However, with time, I've come to really appreciate her work in the film.