Coming soon to cinemas near you! - The upcoming films thread

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Looks like he may be in the middle of a riot or something. I'm really looking forward to this.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The Tarzan trailer looked good on the big screen, this looks like a good, old-fashioned Tarzan adventure.
    'Blade Runner 2' is shaping up to be even better with the addition of Robin Wright:

http://www.slashfilm.com/robin-wright-blade-runner-2-casting/
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Mr Hinx himself, Dave Bautista, joins 'Blade Runner 2' as well.
    Mr Hinx himself, Dave Bautista, joins 'Blade Runner 2' as well.

When I saw him pose for a photo with the origami, along with him being excited about sharing some exciting information, I knew this would be the case. This movie is shaping up to be my most anticipated of the next couple of years.
    Fantastic casting indeed. And I´m not too worried about the film being drowned in casting, like Nolan films for instance, because what I´ve seen so far from Villeneuve promises a lot of what a Blade Runner movie needs in order to work. I´m pretty sure they won´t go for the hardboiled detective thing again as much as in BR, but if the storytelling and thrill are at least on the level of Prisoner and Sicario, that could make up for it.
    Although, come to think of it, if Ryan Gosling plays the lead, he probably will play a hardboiled detective after all.
    He's also playing Tong Po (the villain) in the upcoming Kickboxer remake! Van Damme is in it too!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Blade Runner 2 better have Vangelis (or Vangelis-like) music or I'm not seeing it.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    To be honest, I don't look forward to Blade Runner 2.
    Even though Scott is producing the movie, it will be directed by someone else.

Not sure it will work.

Prometheus on the other hand worked and is a wonderful movie because Ridley Scott did it himself.
    @BondJasonBond006, are we ever really sure that any movie will work, though? You say "directed by someone else" as if Scott is the only one who could handle a sequel. Look at the director, DP, and more attached and tell me you don't see it being something special. Couldn't get into 'Prometheus' because it couldn't decide what it wanted to be.
    To be perfectly honest, I don't really NEED another Blade Runner movie. I picked up the continuation novel a few years ago and started reading it, lost interest and skipped to the end and it was so bad I thankfully mostly forgot what it was all about. This movie better be astounding, ground-breaking even, or I'll gladly pass on it.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    To be perfectly honest, I don't really NEED another Blade Runner movie. I picked up the continuation novel a few years ago and started reading it, lost interest and skipped to the end and it was so bad I thankfully mostly forgot what it was all about. This movie better be astounding, ground-breaking even, or I'll gladly pass on it.

Neither do I, and I'd never wish for a sequel to this, but since we're getting one, of course I'll end up seeing it. The cast and crew are certainly helping, as well, and now it's shaping up to be incredible, I think. We'll know next year! It starts shooting in June or July of this year. A (teaser) trailer around the end of the year would be wonderful.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    To be honest, I don't look forward to Blade Runner 2.
    Even though Scott is producing the movie, it will be directed by someone else.

Not sure it will work.

Prometheus on the other hand worked and is a wonderful movie because Ridley Scott did it himself.
    I would generally agree, but in this case we aren't talking about just any other director. They've got Denis Villeneuve no less. So I'm sure it's going to be brilliant..

Prometheus was incredible imho. Love it, and can't wait for the sequel next year.
    bondjames wrote: »

Prometheus was incredible imho. Love it, and can't wait for the sequel next year.
    Prometheus was fascinating.
    Blade Runner 2 better have Vangelis (or Vangelis-like) music or I'm not seeing it.
    You know when I first read about a BR sequel, my very first thoughts were about visual style and music. Now, judging by the two most recent collaborations of Villeneuve and Deakins, BR2 won´t look anything like BR, but still those two definitely know their game, so I say they´re worth the try. And since they are going to do something rather different from BR anyhow (except probably for certain story elements), I expect the music to be very different also.

• edited April 2016 Posts: 6,844
    boldfinger wrote: »
    You know when I first read about a BR sequel, my very first thoughts were about visual style and music. Now, judging by the two most recent collaborations of Villeneuve and Deakins, BR2 won´t look anything like BR, but still those two definitely know their game, so I say they´re worth the try. And since they are going to do something rather different from BR anyhow (except probably for certain story elements), I expect the music to be very different also.

Blade Runner being my absolute favorite film of all time, I'm in the camp that really wasn't asking for a sequel, but since it's happening anyway am happy with how it's shaping up given the talent attached.

The original score by Vangelis also happens to be my favorite score of all time. I'm not so certain that BR2 will necessarily have a completely different visual style and tone from the original. If it does, then I guess it's okay for the music to take a different approach as well, but one thing's for certain: they are going to need one seriously talented composer to step up to the task. Anything less than legendary will be a disappointment for me. I have a number of favorite composers who are still active today, but I honestly don't know who could possibly write music for the world of Blade Runner as moving, as beautiful, and as perfect as the original.
    I think a film is bound to fail if you make it dependent on the music. I´m a huge sucker for atmospheric film music, and I would love nothing more than BR2 having as moving music as BR. But as much as I value the talent so far involved with BR2, those names somehow give me the intuitive feeling the score won´t be anything like BR.

Anyway:

Mel Gibson looks better the older he gets, but I´m afraid the trailer doesn´t do much for me.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Gibson looks super badass.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Agreed. I've missed Mel. One of the greats, and it's high time he's back in the game in full force.
    Gibson looks too badass in that movie to miss out on it. 'Taken' in the desert, I'm in.

For fans of 'Blade Runner,' any ideas on who you'd like to see compose the score for BR2?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    For fans of 'Blade Runner,' any ideas on who you'd like to see compose the score for BR2?

The guy who did the soundtrack for 'Sicario'.

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited April 2016 Posts: 9,020
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Gibson looks too badass in that movie to miss out on it. 'Taken' in the desert, I'm in.

Marc Streitenfeld, naturally.
    Johann Johannsson? Great choice, he actually worked on both 'Sicario' and 'Prisoners' with both Villeneuve AND Deakins, so I wouldn't be shocked if he was chosen for this.
    I'm not happy about a new BR movie or a new kickboxer.They are 2 of my favorites and I don't see how they will be any good.Reminds me of when they made a total recall and the thing movie.

That might be something.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited April 2016 Posts: 4,043
    I wasn't really that bothered about Bladerunner 2 until I saw Scicario followed by Incendies.

Villeneuve and Deakins involvement is definitely the in for me and I am now quite looking forward to this, incidently I've got Bladerunner on it's way to me as we speak, I thought it was time I got the Blu ray.

As for Prometheus I don't get it, I'll echo what some have already said it just didn't know what it wanted to be, Alien is one of my favourite films and I admire Bladerunner but Ridley hasn't made a true great film in decades and no Titanic in sandles is not a masterpeice.

Prometheus works very fine as long as one views it as a dream-like experience. And it doesn´t bother much with pseudo-psycho-analytical guilt trips as Inception.
    I didn't like Prometheus at all. The cinematography was good, but I didn't care for the story at all. Can't even remember what it was about. And I saw it for under 6 months ago.
    I didn't like Prometheus at all. The cinematography was good, but I didn't care for the story at all. Can't even remember what it was about. And I saw it for under 6 months ago.
    See? That´s what I mean ;-).
    Actually the story is very clear, but perhaps not after one viewing.