Coming soon to cinemas near you! - The upcoming films thread

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    On first viewing of the original, I didn't even understand what the hell was going on. I didn't have these problems with the remake, which was pretty straightforward and convenient. It took me three tries to get the original's... whatever-was-it-about. And don't get me started on "Self Preservation Society"... Oh dear Lord! Worst kind of torture to listen to than Le Chiffre smashing your balls, or Blofeld drilling your brain.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2016 Posts: 15,708
    @doubleoego @Creasy47 @bondjames

First reviews from the 'Blood Father' midnight screening: 'Violent, pulpy revenge flick with a fantastic performance from Mel Gibson', 'Mel Gibson is definitely back!', 'most badass performance in a action flick in years', 'Gibson's most badass performance yet', 'the Gibson film I wanted to see for years'... And the film received a standing ovation after the projection.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Thanks @DaltonCraig007. That's great to hear. Mel definitely deserves a break and I had no doubt that he would deliver 'badassery' when required. It's been a crime that we haven't seen enough of him in action imho.

Sadly, we won't be getting it here unit August for some stupid reason.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

First reviews from the 'Blood Father' midnight screening: 'Violent, pulpy revenge flick with a fantastic performance from Mel Gibson', 'Mel Gibson is definitely back!', 'most badass performance in a action flick in years', 'Gibson's most badass performance yet', 'the Gibson film I wanted to see for years'... And the film received a standing ovation after the projection.

Wow that's so reassuring to hear. Gibson has always been a legitimate charismatic actor and an even better director but to hear he has a viscerally entertaining and critical hit film on his hands is fantastic. Really REALLY looking forward to seeing this.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

Very happy to hear. I suppose I can see this movie once released, as soon as humanly possible.
    New Beauty and the beast film

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Emma Watson, Ian McKellen, Emma Thompson, Stanley Tucci, Ewan McGregor and Kevin Kline? What a cast!
    Yeah it's mighty impressive. Just watching that teaser was quite nostalgic. If this movie ends up being a critical success it's going to slay huge at the BO.
    Disney's track record has been pretty impressive in the last few months.
    Don't expect it to top the wonderful '91 version, but here's hoping it's good. Always skeptical whenever Disney makes a live-action edition of one of their animated classics.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited May 2016 Posts: 4,491
    For the people who not get enough from it...

Note: Big spoilers between 2:44 - 3:24!
    Tuulia wrote: »

That looks very good. McConaghey giving one hell of a performance again.
    @bondjames, you asked about it earlier, so...
    Terrence Malick's 'Weightless' runs 146 minutes and is rated 15 by the BBFC for "infrequent strong sex, sex references."
    https://twitter.com/TheFilmStage/status/735083366689705984

and
    The British Board Of Film Classification has revealed that the movie runs 145 minutes and 5 seconds long, and have stamped it with 15-rating for “infrequent strong sex, sex references.” The BBFC also have revealed the credited actors, with the cast list including, Ryan Gosling, Christian Bale, Cate Blanchett, Rooney Mara, Haley Bennett, Natalie Portman, Michael Fassbender, Val Kilmer, Benicio Del Toro, Clifton Collins Jr., Angela Bettis, Bérénice Marlohe, Florence Welch, and Holly Hunter. I wouldn’t necessarily take it as gospel, and who knows how long these appearances actually last in the movie (Bale only shot for three days, for example) but its a handy guide.
    theplaylist.net/official-runtime-terence-malicks-weightless-revealed-20160524/
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Thanks @Tuulia. Hopefully it gets a release soon.
    I love anything from Malick just for the breathtaking cinematography by itself, but this cast is just insane.

That looks very good. McConaghey giving one hell of a performance again.

He was the first reason I got interested in that.

I love anything from Malick just for the breathtaking cinematography by itself, but this cast is just insane.

His casts normally are great, but yeah that's kinda insane. At least 3 actors from the previous movie here, too, which is kinda interesting. (I'm presuming as different characters, but have no idea.)

I saw one article where the writer commented that Lubezki winning 2 Oscars for AGI's movies and none for Malick's is just so wrong and upside down, and I kinda agree with that. (And of course Malick's movies were gorgeous pre-Lubezki as well.)

I'm dying to see both Weightless and Voyage Of Time in theatre. That'll mean travelling again, I'm sure, damn...

Can't wait for this. The woman i'm going to marry and will bare my army of children is in this.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    GUYS, GUYS, did you hear?? They are remaking John Carpenters Halloween and John Carpenter is actually involved this time!! Holy f#cking sh£t, I can't believe it!!

The original Halloween is one of my favourite films of all time! After the failed reboot it didn't seem like the franchise would recover but its back!! \m/

I guess Michael Myers never dies, am I right? ;)

Anyway they say Oct 2017 release date, so that is another great cinema experience to look forward too before B25.

The original is a perfect horror film if you ask me. The sequel is very underrated and carries on immediately after the first, like QoS. Both film feature Blofeld who plays a psychiatric doctor, a wonderful performance, and he has one of the best lines in cinema history:

Random guy: "Is this some kind of joke? I've been trick or treated to death tonight."

Donald Pleasence: "you don't know what death is!"

That is up there with " Goodbye, Mr Bond!" For me. Anyway, great news for fans of Halloween.
    Looks good, currently sitting on a 82 metascore

@doubleoego @Creasy47

It looks like the curse of movie adaptations of video games has been finally broken. First reactions from 'Warcraft' showings last night are very, very positive, even when they compare the film to the games.

I'm seeing the film this afternoon.
    Trailer for the french adventure film ''L'Odyssée', based on the life of Commandant Cousteau. Looks fantastic.

@doubleoego @Creasy47

It looks like the curse of movie adaptations of video games has been finally broken. First reactions from 'Warcraft' showings last night are very, very positive, even when they compare the film to the games.

I feel obligated to see this film after the pesky marketing they've bashed me over the head with but this is great news. I know a lot of work went into this film and I'm glad this may break the tradition of crap video game to film adaptations.
    @doubleoego @Creasy47

Oh? I've seen it bashed a plenty... - or maybe you don't mean the reviews, but the fan reactions? (I have no interest in the movie myself, so I don't care either way.)

@doubleoego @Creasy47

Oh? I've seen it bashed a plenty... - or maybe you don't mean the reviews, but the fan reactions? (I have no interest in the movie myself, so I don't care either way.)

General audience reactions are extremely positive so far, especially from fans of the games.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 40,868
    @DaltonCraig007, I've never played the games, nor do I have an interest in the movie, but I'll be very happy to see a game-to-film adaptation finally get some stellar reviews. I'm very much looking forward to 'Assassin's Creed,' didn't expect it to look so good.

EDIT: Found a collection of 'Warcraft' reviews, which put it in a rather horrible light:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fantasy/first-wave-of-reviews-for-warcraft-the-beginning-are-sure-to-upset-fans-a142015
    @doubleoego @Creasy47

General audience reactions are extremely positive so far, especially from fans of the games.

Okay then. That's more important, of course.

morgan_xlg.jpg
    @Tuulia, kudos, I just posted that over in the Horror Thread! Looks like 'Ex Machina,' with a bigger cast and more horror.
    I don't think I've ever even been to the horror thread, wouldn't have remembered we have one. So this is horror? Okay then. It looks possibly interesting, but obviously could be crap as well, difficult to tell.
    Looks like horror to me, with the way the trailer is edited together, and I doubt they'd release a clone of 'Ex Machina' so soon without spicing up the formula.