What Directors Should Helm A Bond Film?

Comments

Someone I like is David Michôd, the Aussie filmmaker behind flicks like "Animal Kingdom" and "The Rover". He is teaming up with Sydney Sweeney for a new biopic on Christy Martin. He has a style and mood that is very evocative of the vibe conjured by Denis Villeneuve. Michôd's knack for gritty storytelling talent could cook up something seriously intriguing. His intense character exploration and knack for suspense could give 007 a fresh spin.
    He seems like a realistic choice. Because he directed a historical film for Netflix, I associate his profile with that of Edward Berger, the director of the 2022 version of All Quiet on the Western Front. Both men seem like directors Eon could approach: in a way they are authors, with their own unique vision, while having proven themselves within the Hollywood system and being able to work within it, without being as big as Villeneuve or Nolan. I would definitely be happy if either one was chosen.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    Someone I like is David Michôd, the Aussie filmmaker behind flicks like "Animal Kingdom" and "The Rover". He is teaming up with Sydney Sweeney for a new biopic on Christy Martin. He has a style and mood that is very evocative of the vibe conjured by Denis Villeneuve. Michôd's knack for gritty storytelling talent could cook up something seriously intriguing. His intense character exploration and knack for suspense could give 007 a fresh spin.
    He seems like a realistic choice. Because he directed a historical film for Netflix, I associate his profile with that of Edward Berger, the director of the 2022 version of All Quiet on the Western Front. Both men seem like directors Eon could approach: in a way they are authors, with their own unique vision, while having proven themselves within the Hollywood system and being able to work within it, without being as big as Villeneuve or Nolan. I would definitely be happy if either one was chosen.

These are smart choices we should be looking at closely imo. Have me intrigued.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited June 5 Posts: 9,185
    https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2024/6/5/denis-villeneuve-working-on-sci-fi-film-i-am-waiting-for-you

And nope, this still hasn't shifted my opinion that Villeneuve is still the leading candidate to be the B26 director, if he and his schedule allow.

But what's absolutely clear, and very interesting, is that, according to this article, Villeneuve really is taking a big break between Dune 2 and 3.

Roth is just starting to write this new script. Which means this project is 18 months away, at the earliest, before it starts moving into preproduction.

(If anyone wants to take a look at a quick turn around of a blank page, to script, to production, that'd be Fincher film, THE KILLER written by Andrew Kevin Walker, which was 2 years from start of script to filming). And this new Villeneuve project is a sci-fi time travel script, so it'll go through a lot of drafts.

Plus, Roth is an A-list writer, and this won't be the only script he's working on.

I am grounded, and unwavering, that until I hear Villeneuve say, nope, not doing B26, and seeing another director take the reins, he IS the man (at this moment in time; this has everything to do with schedule, EoN and the new script, rather than a desire; the desire is there for both parties, but time ticks for Mr. V. He will wait, and obviously he has the time to do so, just not forever).
    Wait has denis been confirmed?
    peter wrote: »
    I am grounded, and unwavering, that until I hear Villeneuve say, nope, not doing B26, and seeing another director take the reins, he IS the man (at this moment in time; this has everything to do with schedule, EoN and the new script, rather than a desire; the desire is there for both parties, but time ticks for Mr. V. He will wait, and obviously he has the time to do so, just not forever).

To the extent that he has already been approached in the past, knowing Eon's habit of returning to people already contacted and the desire of Barbara and Michael in his last years to approach recognised directors, it wouldn't be a surprise if Villeneuve was offered the job.

I think today the ball is in Eon's court. It's up to them whether they want to move forward now or wait to see how cinema evolves in the years to come. Personally, I have the feeling that we are in a transitional period: on the one hand, shared cinematic universes like the MCU are losing influence while the industry has never fully recovered from the pandemic. So, maybe Eon will want to wait and, in this case, Villeneuve, who currently wants to take a break, could be available.

On the one hand Villeneuve, in addition to his obvious qualities as a director, would be a good choice because, like Nolan, he could arouse public interest in Bond 26, and attract a new audience who would not have been attracted by the franchise.

On the other hand, beyond Bond 26, Eon must at the moment think about the identity of the series for the next ten years: it is a whole new era which must be thought about and, in which case, would Villeneuve be willing to commit to such a project? The situation would be close to that seen at WB with the hiring of Matt Reeves on The Batman.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Eon replicate what Cubby did to revive the franchise after LTK: part ways with the previous creative team (Maibaum, Glen), bring a brand new screenwriter (in 1990 it was Alfonse Ruggiero Jr., in 1993 it was Michael France), work with him on a story meant to define the new era, and then approach a filmmaker so that he can direct this script.

One could imagine that, rather than hiring a screenwriter like Ruggiero or France, Eon this time approaches Villeneuve so that he develops the foundations of the new era and its identity. But here again, would Villeneuve want to engage in such an endeavour, knowing that he would be working on Dune 3 in parallel, and would Eon want to give as much power to a director? This is why I would not be surprised if Eon chose safety and favoured the hiring of a more conventional screenwriter, before contacting a less influential director, allowing Barbara to keep control over the future identity of the series.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    director-denis-villeneuve-poses-for-pictures-at-the-sicario-premiere-G8AP0M.jpg

Yes, I thought I saw a spectre at Villeneuve's shoulder. The spectre of Bond.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Wait has denis been confirmed?

No he hasn't.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited June 6 Posts: 4,491
    Remour on this moment is that Yann Demange mabey no longer wil direct new Blade movie for Disney.

Iam not really in to Disney Marvel, but I remember Yann Demange (Asked because of '71 and worked with Ben Whishaw) be talks for NTTD when it stil was named Bond 25. Creatief difrence back then the producers go for Danny Boyle.

Yann Demange can have creatief difrence with NTTD, but mabey for new movie stil be option. With Boyle there been longer in production when steps out and on this moment working on 28 Years later for Disney Fox. I expect more for England movie with both, you can stil see elements of that in the movie.
    So is Villeneuve waiting for EON having a treatment (or even first script) done? Or is it the other way around and EON is awaiting the decision of Villeneuve, if he has time to join the project?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Kojak007 wrote: »
    So is Villeneuve waiting for EON having a treatment (or even first script) done? Or is it the other way around and EON is awaiting the decision of Villeneuve, if he has time to join the project?

I'd say you're on track with your first guess. The script needs to be submitted to him.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

I'd say you're on track with your first guess. The script needs to be submitted to him.

@peter At this point do you think that is only Wade and Purvis working on a treatment, or even a script, or has someone else been brought in?

Would a solid treatment be enough to get him on board or would it take a fleshed out script? I would think Villeneuve would want his own people to have a go at refining one.

Either way, tick, tick, tick…
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @talos7 tick, tick, tick indeed.

The little trails that I’ve followed on this, including, as we all do, gleaming from published accounts (EoN meeting with Villeneuve for Craig’s last after Boyle left; Villeneuve not being shy, including very recently, about directing Bond, and this secret project that needs to be ready soon (and this new project that Roth is on doesn’t have a script, and that is a couple years out, at best), plus knowing that he’s been seen with BB socially and sitting beside her at her table for the BAFTAs, and then there’s tidbits dropped on my lap by ppl who are far closer to these ppl, and industry rumours… have led me to believe/guess that if he is the top candidate (until I hear otherwise, I’m a broken record here, that I believe he is), i imagine he would want to see a working script.

If a script is being worked on (and to be fully honest about this, I was more bullish about this a few months ago than I am now), I do believe its P and W kickstarting any treatment/script duties— and this comes from the mouths of the two producers (and at this moment, there’s no reason not to believe them; P and W are obviously a safe pair of hands to get a solid first draft in orde; they seemingly go back to them, when in a pinch, and they have great value to EoN).

But there’ll be other writers involved, sooner or later. And like you, I have to believe Villeneuve knows which writers he’ll bring if he is the director. I just see no reason to doubt P and W kicking off the first few drafts.

as I told another member here, ive been confused seems as if there’s been several stops and starts, and beginning again, or at least that’s been

What’s interesting about The World of Reel article is it sounds like the writer’s sources (who he says are reliable), have indicated Villeneuve has cleared his schedule for a substantial period, that D3: Messiah, isn’t happening at least for the next few years.

So immediately my mind goes to (conjecture): is this to give EoN a reasonable period of time?

In the end, Villeneuve knows what’s going on, and back in February, he definitely made some peoples tongues wag that this may be the direction he’s heading in. Including mine as it makes the most amount of sense when you take what the actual player involved have said, then the little industry rumours and lastly, my friend who is very close to the action (who, I might add, has gone radio silent on me since around March!)…
    Thank you for your information, @peter! Do you think Villeneuve is the only director they are talking to at the moment? In theory I think it would probably make more sense to be in contact with other directors at the same time. Unless, of course, the producers would have enough time to look for other directors if Villeneuve turns the offer down. At least, there is no release date yet, so basically there is no pressure on that regard?
    Of course, regarding the topic of looking for different directors, it's only a hope on my part here, as I'm not a huge fan of the idea of Villeneuve directing the next film...
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    @peter Thanks!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Thank you for your information, @peter! Do you think Villeneuve is the only director they are talking to at the moment? In theory I think it would probably make more sense to be in contact with other directors at the same time. Unless, of course, the producers would have enough time to look for other directors if Villeneuve turns the offer down. At least, there is no release date yet, so basically there is no pressure on that regard?
    Of course, regarding the topic of looking for different directors, it's only a hope on my part here, as I'm not a huge fan of the idea of Villeneuve directing the next film...

@Kojak007 its all guesswork on my part but I’ll do my best to give some kind of answers to your questions!:

I have to imagine EoN has a list of top five directors (and a longer list for potential leading men as the new 007?).

At the same time, as you rightly point out: there’s no release date as of now, so there’s no pressure on them to speak to back ups.

And if my theory is correct, and it plays out in a similar fashion as I’ve noted, it’s still no guarantee that Villeneuve will be director. Anything can interfere with a director taking a job. And especially, as of this exchange of ours, no one is a lock to be on Bond 26 (actor or director), until EoN can deliver the most important thing for ANY director: the SCRIPT!

Villeneuve isn’t my first choice either. I wouldn’t be upset if he got it, but I was hoping for a little something “different”.

And who knows, I’m perfectly willing to accept that all my clues are nothing more than red herrings (but putting together what we actually do know (published accounts of what both parties have said about the other, and then “insider” tidbits, has made me a stubborn believer that until Villeneuve actually starts shooting something within the next year, then I believe that this “secret project” that “needs to see the light of day soon” is B2, and he is waiting to see whatever script they come up with)!!

I hope that’s not too convoluted, 😂!!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited June 6 Posts: 9,185

@Kojak007 its all guesswork on my part but I’ll do my best to give some kind of answers to your questions!:

I have to imagine EoN has a list of top five directors (and a longer list for potential leading men as the new 007?).

At the same time, as you rightly point out: there’s no release date as of now, so there’s no pressure on them to speak to back ups.

And if my theory is correct, and it plays out in a similar fashion as I’ve noted, it’s still no guarantee that Villeneuve will be director. Anything can interfere with a director taking a job. And especially, as of this exchange of ours, no one is a lock to be on Bond 26 (actor or director), until EoN can deliver the most important thing for ANY director: the SCRIPT!

Villeneuve isn’t my first choice either. I wouldn’t be upset if he got it, but I was hoping for a little something “different”.

And who knows, I’m perfectly willing to accept that all my clues are nothing more than red herrings (but putting together what we actually do know (published accounts of what both parties have said about the other, and then “insider” tidbits, has made me a stubborn believer that until Villeneuve actually starts shooting something within the next year, then I believe that this “secret project” that “needs to see the light of day soon” is B2, and he is waiting to see whatever script they come up with)!!

EDIT: @talos7

👍🏻 no problem! There’s just no one else that makes sense so clearly as Villeneuve does— at the moment. Especially with how close he came to make Craig’s last and how he’s been quite open and sincere, since, on wanting to direct one. Hes not coy in the least.

Absolutely not - very interesting reading your thoughts on this topic, thank you for that. And it certainly would make sense if they talk to Villeneuve, especially since the last time wasn't that long ago.
    However, one thing irritates me a little: Wouldn't a director like Villeneuve, who often (co-)writes the scripts for his movies, suggest his own story treatment to the producers, instead of awaiting a script idea from Purvis and Wade?

To be honest, I wouldn't have been upset if he directed NTTD - his directing style would fit pretty well with that film, in my opinion. So I'm not sure if Villeneuve is the right choice for Bond 26 as I'm hoping for a movie (and era too) with a very different tone.
  • peterpeter Toronto

Absolutely not - very interesting reading your thoughts on this topic, thank you for that. And it certainly would make sense if they talk to Villeneuve, especially since the last time wasn't that long ago.
    However, one thing irritates me a little: Wouldn't a director like Villeneuve, who often (co-)writes the scripts for his movies, suggest his own story treatment to the producers, instead of awaiting a script idea from Purvis and Wade?

To be honest, I wouldn't have been upset if he directed NTTD - his directing style would fit pretty well with that film, in my opinion. So I'm not sure if Villeneuve is the right choice for Bond 26 as I'm hoping for a movie (and era too) with a very different tone.

I certainly think Villeneneuve has a genuine and authentic respect for EON, and the series itself. He knows that this company has created and established this character, and it'll be their initial story that brings him on board (no different than most of his bigger budget films), but I also think he will bring writers with him to help shape the script.

(All guessing what the man may be thinking, of course). But nothing is a guarantee until contracts are signed, and even then.... (Looking at you, Hodge and Boyle).
  • edited June 6 Posts: 547
    Hopefully EON isn't chasing someone with a busy schedule when a director is available who doesn't only have a completely empty schedule, but also....

- is a bigger Bond fan than Villeneuve
    - is even more acclaimed than Villeneuve
    - has a better box office record than Villeneuve
    - unlike Villeneuve, has already directed several Bondian action-adventure movies
  • edited June 7 Posts: 549
    Hopefully EON isn't chasing someone with a busy schedule when a director is available who doesn't only have a completely empty schedule, but also....

- unlike Villeneuve, has already directed several Bondian action-adventure movies

All of these points are irrelevant but the last one is silly. The biggest Bond film since Bondmania was directed by a guy who is most known for melodramas.

And he is more expensive too.
    And he is more expensive too.
    I think this question of expense is important to take into account. Bond films, and blockbusters in general, tend to become more and more expensive while big box office hits are less consistent. Audience habits have changed since the pandemic, people seem to go to movie theatres less and I think it is in Eon's interest to revise their budgets downwards. I would be very surprised if Bond 26 cost as much as Spectre and NTTD.

In this context, Eon has the choice between betting on a big name like Nolan or Villeneuve, hoping that their popularity will push the audience to come to theatres, or entrusting the project to less expensive directors. @Pierce2Daniel mentioned David Michôd, I mentioned Edward Berger; both would fit this second option, being competent and quality directors, less expensive and who have proven themselves.
    I think they need all the help they can get. They seem tired and the market is not at its best.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I think they need all the help they can get. They seem tired and the market is not at its best.

That's why they are waiting it out. Recharge the batteries, wait for the recovery. 2025 looks for optimistic for cinemas.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I imagine the cogs are turning, or at least fully greased. Unless:

360_F_58183172_b7wVsfbS9DjeA0ipqvU0F57wV5KXBNqd.jpg
    Assuming this is true when will we get official word
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
  • peterpeter Toronto

I heard about this, and was a little taken by surprise with this development... I do like him as a director... He has an edge to him.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    He was rumoured to be on the shortlist for NTTD, wasn't he?

The timing is interesting, with both him and Villeneuve looking like they might be free.

I wonder whether we might see the bookies' odds on Jack O'Connell for 007 slashed?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    He was rumoured to be on the shortlist for NTTD, wasn't he?

The timing is interesting, with both him and Villeneuve looking like they might be free.

I wonder whether we might see the bookies' odds on Jack O'Connell for 007 slashed?

Yes, I think early on in preproduction Demange seemed to be a front runner… I wonder if he’s done enough in the last few years to show he could lead a big production such as Bond? I don’t know, but he certainly has an edge (and I was looking forward to his Blade).