The NHL Thread

Comments

• thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Since we have four days before game 1, what are the ways that the Panthers win the series and what are some ways that the Oilers win the series?

Panthers will win if they can limit their penalties and yet still bring a physicality to the series. If Bob can provide solid goaltending and stop McDavid from doing McDavid things.

Oilers will win if they can make the Panthers pay for their penalties and put that number 1 ranked PP to use. If they can get some secondary scoring from others and not rely too much on the first line. If Skinner can be adequate and make the saves at the right time.

My prediction is Panthers in 6.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    We did great against the NY and Boston powerplays. I see that continuing against Edmonton. Skinner is the easiest goalie to deal with having gone through a murderers row of Vasy, Swayman and Stesterhskin.

Contain McDavid and this has the potential to be a quick series. Hoping to close it out in 4 when I'm in Orlando for Father's Day.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Great writeup there, @thedove. I do think the difference maker will be the PP vs. the PK, and how strong or weak either one is. Of course, goaltending consistency is always key, but the powerplay in general may wind up being the deciding factor.

If Florida won this series with the sweep, that'd probably be one of the happier endings for the Finals I could experience with my own favorite team long out of contention.
    So who is happy with how Game 1 went?

2 goals on 5 shots! Wow Skinner will need to be better for the Oilers to have a chance. The spin here in Canada is that if Edmonton brings that effort every game they will win the series. The only reason they lost was Bob.

I don't think the Panthers can expect so few shots on net to win a game. I expect a better effort from them for Game 2.
    "The only reason they lost was Bob" is sometimes all it takes. I've seen great teams come up against one damn good goalie and it really doesn't matter how much they tweak their game, lines, any of it. I'm sure Edmonton will come back with a lot more fire in the next game though. They got stomped by Dallas last series and didn't let that happen again (sadly).
    edited June 10 Posts: 5,249
    Yes a hot goalie can certainly steal a series or make one close where there should be a mismatch.

In my youth I remember a goalie by the name of Steve Penny coming up big for the Montreal Canadiens and stealing them some games. I think Jaroslav Hadak did it for Montreal again a number of years later when the Canadiens went deep into the playoffs. Hextall winning the Conn Smythe for MVP of the Playoffs on a losing team.

Game 2 should see both teams making adjustments. Panthers need to fire more pucks and have more O time. Oilers need to bury their chances.
    You know there was nothing more you could've done yourself when you're winning the Conn Smythe on a losing team.
    Agreed, I remember that series and to think he kept the Flyers close in the games. I believe it went 7 games? Amazing.

Loved hearing how Gretzky compared Barkov to Trottier and said McDavid is going to have to fight through the defense. He said Barkov is the best defensive forward in the league right now.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Great game two….

Period two and three were all Panthers. They just give no space to the Oils.

McDavid is having tantrums. Same with Draisaitl. Skinner is porous.

I have to imagine therel’ll be a home town bounce for game three, but the Cats right now seem unstoppable. Just look how they pushed the Oilers to the perimeter after they scored the first goal.

I’ll hold my breath for a little while longer, but….. (is the writing on the wall?)….

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    At least Barkov is back after that game 2 hit. We were fearing it would be series ending
    Draisaitl is one who clearly turns to playing dirty when he can't get on the scoreboard and do anything to help his team. I love seeing these implosions and I hope they only continue. Halfway to the sweep!
    Tonight is a big Game 3. If the Oilers can bounce back and take one we have a series, if they crap the bed we likely don't make it back to Florida. I think the Panthers are exposing the lack of depth on the Oiler side. The goalie advantage is clearly with the team to the south.

Should be interesting!

Have the Dallas Mavs shown the Oilers what to do down 3 games to none????

Will the Oil gush and send the series back to Florida? Or will the Stanley Cup be awarded to the Panthers on foreign soil?

Any predictions for tonight's game?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited June 15 Posts: 9,185
    thedove wrote: »
    Have the Dallas Mavs shown the Oilers what to do down 3 games to none????

Will the Oil gush and send the series back to Florida? Or will the Stanley Cup be awarded to the Panthers on foreign soil?

Any predictions for tonight's game?

I know what outcome I want.

And I know that the Panthers bided their time patiently in the last game, pouncing on every mistake the Oilers made , converting four of them into goals.

I also know that thus far the Oils seem confused, to the point that McDavid admitted they're still trying to figure out their opponents.

I'll hold my breath on predictions, because I'd love for the deal to be sealed this evening. So I have a desire, but I refuse to predict, 😂!!!
    At this rate, I'm really hoping Florida gets the sweep. It'd make Edmonton losing that much sweeter for me, knowing they made it all the way to the finals and couldn't get a single W.
    Finish it tonight. I'm tired of the anxiety.

I'm having a hard time being excited after wins. It's just unfamiliar territory

I miss this feeling and sensation with my own team.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Hey fellas. The closest we’ve got is three final four appearances since the 90s, 😂!!
    peter wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Hey fellas. The closest we’ve got is three final four appearances since the 90s, 😂!!

I know being a fan of the Penguins is a WAY better situation to be in memories-wise than some other teams, but damn, do I still miss the fiery excitement of advancing through the playoffs!
    This is like the scene in TWINE when Elektra has Bond tied to the chair and turning the know.

If they get reversed swept, I'm 100% done with the team and the sport. There's no coming back from that.
    As a Hurricanes fan, I hope Paul Maurice can finally get a cup
    Well well well, turns out the Oilers aren't quite done yet. Amazing how things can turn. One wonders if the Panthers feel their collars tightening up? Or do they reset and finish off the Oil in Oil country?

Things are getting interesting!
  • peterpeter Toronto

💯 %… he’s damned deserving of one.

And yes, @thedove , I’d imagine Florida is taking the Game Six as their Game Seven; I wouldn’t want to give the Oilers the chance to play a real game seven.

Credit where credit is due: Good for the Oils for not rolling over, but; is it a realistic possibility that Florida could actually lose four in a row?? I just don’t think so.
    It all started with the rally fell short in game 3. Then the floodgates completely opened. It's not a good feeling right now in Pantherland

And yes, @thedove , I’d imagine Florida is taking the Game Six as their Game Seven; I wouldn’t want to give the Oilers the chance to play a real game seven.

Credit where credit is due: Good for the Oils for not rolling over, but; is it a realistic possibility that Florida could actually lose four in a row?? I just don’t think so.

Yes, it is a very real possibility the Panthers could lose four in a row because the Oilers have been resilient all year. Outside of the second half of game 5 and most of game 2, the Oilers have been the better team. The Oilers have had the puck more in the Panthers end and have generated more scoring chances. Special teams has been a huge factor so far. Even when the Oilers powerplay wasn't scoring, they looked dangerous whereas the Panthers powerplay has looked terrible the whole series. (Granted the Oilers have the best penalty kill in the playoffs) The Panthers have had a problem dealing with the Oilers speed which has lead to too many breakaways, odd man rushes and shorthanded opportunities. The Panthers need to get their forecheck back which was effective in the past three series, limit the turnovers, play shut down defense, fix the special teams and hope Sergei Bobrovsky starts playing great again. The Panthers still have a chance but they will need to be at their best for a full 60 minutes (plus overtime if necessary) to withstand the attack of Connor McDavid and the high flying Edmonton Oilers.
  • peterpeter Toronto

Yes, it is a very real possibility the Panthers could lose four in a row because the Oilers have been resilient all year. Outside of the second half of game 5 and most of game 2, the Oilers have been the better team. The Oilers have had the puck more in the Panthers end and have generated more scoring chances. Special teams has been a huge factor so far. Even when the Oilers powerplay wasn't scoring, they looked dangerous whereas the Panthers powerplay has looked terrible the whole series. (Granted the Oilers have the best penalty kill in the playoffs) The Panthers have had a problem dealing with the Oilers speed which has lead to too many breakaways, odd man rushes and shorthanded opportunities. The Panthers need to get their forecheck back which was effective in the past three series, limit the turnovers, play shut down defense, fix the special teams and hope Sergei Bobrovsky starts playing great again. The Panthers still have a chance but they will need to be at their best for a full 60 minutes (plus overtime if necessary) to withstand the attack of Connor McDavid and the high flying Edmonton Oilers.

The Panthers need to do what they did to the Oilers in game three: patience, wait for Edmonton's mistakes, and send the puck in the net.

And I'd say the Panthers woke up half way through the second last night and they overwhelmed Edmonton. By the time the third period ended, the Oils only had six shots on net to end the final twenty minutes.

I know Edmonton is resilient -- they were left for dead heading into December. But Florida is the more ferocious team, with, as far as we know, healthier players on deck.

I think they need to see a stronger push from their bottom six, but other than that, play the Florida game with aggression, and patience, and pounce on the mistakes.

The Panthers need to do what they did to the Oilers in game three: patience, wait for Edmonton's mistakes, and send the puck in the net.

And I'd say the Panthers woke up half way through the second last night and they overwhelmed Edmonton. By the time the third period ended, the Oils only had six shots on net to end the final twenty minutes.

I know Edmonton is resilient -- they were left for dead heading into December. But Florida is the more ferocious team, with, as far as we know, healthier players on deck.

I think they need to see a stronger push from their bottom six, but other than that, play the Florida game with aggression, and patience, and pounce on the mistakes.

I agree that the Panthers played much better in the second half of game 5, especially Tkachuk. The Panthers will have to build on that in game 6 and if they can play like that for a full 60 minutes they have a good chance. The last two games they dug themselves a hole early and the powerplay has really hurt. The Panthers getting to their forecheck and playing a 5 vs 5 game is the key. Chip pucks deep across the boards, win the battles, and possess the puck as much as possible in the Oilers end. The Panthers domination in puck possession and scoring chances were the key to their success in their series against the Bruins and the Rangers. Most importantly, the Panthers need to stop taking the unnecessary risks which lead to turnovers, breakaways and odd man rushes. An early lead would be huge for the Panthers but most importantly they need to keep the Oilers from scoring. The Panthers depth was supposed to be the difference heading into the series and they will need everyone contributing to hopefully shut the Oilers down.
    Hands up if you are surprised we are going to get a Game 7! Wow, I must give the Oilers credit for clawing back and making this a series to remember. It really is a tale of 3 games.

You would figure that the Oilers would have the momentum and should take Game 7 but this series is anything but predictable.

Thoughts on what happens Monday????
  • peterpeter Toronto
    My hand is up, @thedove … i honestly can’t believe this…
    Eff this team. I'm done with hockey