Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

FURIOSA- A Mad Max saga (2024)
    Just back from a viewing, and to say I was underwhelmed is an understatement. My problem with 'Fury Road' was that Tom Hardy was playing Max, well here we don't even have Tom at all, and though I like Anya Taylor- Joy , but the character isn't strong enough to carry the movie! The movie itself, well it's Fury Road 2, and has an air of seen it already about it, in looks, and character and most disappointingly in the action scenes! I saw it in IMAX and was impressed with Tom Holkenborgs percussive score, but at the end of the day, No Max ( and I mean Mel Gibson Max!!) No real Mad Max movie! As a footnote, I watched Mad Max 2 in 4k the other night, still wipes the floor with all of these, please George, no more!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I finally watched Godzilla Minus One.... Wow. Just wow.

The story was simple and tight, and they really had some nice arcs, great and unpredictable scenes, and Godzilla seriously terrified me.

It was fantastic.

Loved the setting and era.

But Godzilla... Wow....
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Bad Boys: Ride or Die

I don't think this series will ever be as brilliant as that second installment was for me but this one was a slight improvement over its predecessor, and for that, I'm grateful. It has a few hilarious moments that were outrageous (Marcus' negotiating over some, erm, oral favors in the club was too funny), a particular scene with Reggie that's worth the viewing alone, and most surprisingly, I thought having a fearless Marcus as essentially the lead character here was a nice change of pace. I could still do without the new AMMO squadmates, and this one injects even more half-baked and underdeveloped characters into the mix, all of whom have the most predictable fates and twist-oriented arcs imaginable, but all in all, it was enjoyable.

Good to hear that it is somewhat decent. Funny thing is that I never cared for the first one. I remember my brother taking me to see the second when I was 15 and I ate up that one like crazy. It gets a ton of hate and some of it rightfully so but its one film that when it's on, I'm watching
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Just back from a viewing, and to say I was underwhelmed is an understatement. My problem with 'Fury Road' was that Tom Hardy was playing Max, well here we don't even have Tom at all, and though I like Anya Taylor- Joy , but the character isn't strong enough to carry the movie! The movie itself, well it's Fury Road 2, and has an air of seen it already about it, in looks, and character and most disappointingly in the action scenes! I saw it in IMAX and was impressed with Tom Holkenborgs percussive score, but at the end of the day, No Max ( and I mean Mel Gibson Max!!) No real Mad Max movie! As a footnote, I watched Mad Max 2 in 4k the other night, still wipes the floor with all of these, please George, no more!

Curious how you took the transition between Bond actors! It's all made up! Max is made up.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Bad Boys: Ride or Die

I don't think this series will ever be as brilliant as that second installment was for me but this one was a slight improvement over its predecessor, and for that, I'm grateful. It has a few hilarious moments that were outrageous (Marcus' negotiating over some, erm, oral favors in the club was too funny), a particular scene with Reggie that's worth the viewing alone, and most surprisingly, I thought having a fearless Marcus as essentially the lead character here was a nice change of pace. I could still do without the new AMMO squadmates, and this one injects even more half-baked and underdeveloped characters into the mix, all of whom have the most predictable fates and twist-oriented arcs imaginable, but all in all, it was enjoyable.

Good to hear that it is somewhat decent. Funny thing is that I never cared for the first one. I remember my brother taking me to see the second when I was 15 and I ate up that one like crazy. It gets a ton of hate and some of it rightfully so but its one film that when it's on, I'm watching

2 is my favorite of the lot. The first one is fine every now and then but I don't have a lot of love for it. The third installment is the weakest out of the four; I was happy this latest one was a slight improvement on it, but it's clear the series isn't giving me anything like the second one again, unfortunately.
    LucknFate wrote: »

Curious how you took the transition between Bond actors! It's all made up! Max is made up.

There are some characters that just don't work being played by other actors, Willis as John McClane, Gibson (again!) as Riggs, Damon as Jason Bourne, and they tried it with Hardy as Max, and it just didn't work!
    Bond is different, each actor brought something new to the table ( apart from Brossa!)
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited June 7 Posts: 1,630

There are some characters that just don't work being played by other actors, Willis as John McClane, Gibson (again!) as Riggs, Damon as Jason Bourne, and they tried it with Hardy as Max, and it just didn't work!
    Bond is different, each actor brought something new to the table ( apart from Brossa!)

Fair, I suppose. I liked Hardy's Max. It felt different than Mel, but still in-character just reinterpreted a bit in many ways. I think Hardy's Max is more tuned to what the audience expects/thinks it remembers the character to be, which could be a criticism, but it's still the Max character in that movie's version of the Mad Max world, for me. It worked. Like a new Bond, there was a new Max.

I'm a bit cynical with the Max movies and hardly an original purist. They always seemed like action shells, an excuse to link together the director's visions of wasteland mayhem. Not too complicated, and not much characterization to anyone beyond what you expect from a wasteland. So to mix it up with Hardy and then Furiosa in the latest does not phase me, they are vessels to what I really want: that vision of mayhem.
  • edited June 7 Posts: 7,381

Fair, I suppose. I liked Hardy's Max. It felt different than Mel, but still in-character just reinterpreted a bit in many ways. I think Hardy's Max is more tuned to what the audience expects/thinks it remembers the character to be, which could be a criticism, but it's still the Max character in that movie's version of the Mad Max world, for me. It worked. Like a new Bond, there was a new Max.

I'm a bit cynical with the Max movies and hardly an original purist. They always seemed like action shells, an excuse to link together the director's visions of wasteland mayhem. Not too complicated, and not much characterization to anyone beyond what you expect from a wasteland. So to mix it up with Hardy and then Furiosa in the latest does not phase me, they are vessels to what I really want: that vision of mayhem.

Fair point, but I just think some characters just belong to certain actors playing them! At 'Furiosa' I saw the trailer for the remake of 'The Crow' and though Brandon Lee made such a distinct impression, I am willing to give the new guy a look
    I was pleasantly surprised by Rooney Maras take on Lisbeth in the remake of'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' as I thought Noomi Rapace couldn't be improved upon, so I am happy to be proves wrong!
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Another example is Inspector Clouseau, Peter Sellers and no-one else could make that work.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Another example is Inspector Clouseau, Peter Sellers and no-one else could make that work.

I slightly disagree in the sense that I rather like what Alan Arkin brought to the part. Also, Sellers, whom I absolutely adore, didn't always work for me in the role. But Steve Martin was no Clouseau, that's for sure.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    _640x_e9895103fec3ca9bbac2f6200511ecc68a35c06ddbab50aeef26c4f65f19a97a.jpg
    I knew nothing about this film beforehand, and was pleasantly surprised. Though it's more Deep Blue Sea, than Jaws.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I knew nothing about this film beforehand, and was pleasantly surprised. Though it's more Deep Blue Sea, than Jaws.

I caught a short review of the film, they said its the best shark movie since Jaws?

I did like The Shallows 2016 which starred Blake Lively, that was a good shark movie.

I caught a short review of the film, they said its the best shark movie since Jaws?

I did like The Shallows 2016 which starred Blake Lively, that was a good shark movie.

Could have been my review on Letterboxd :)) Because that's exactly what I wrote:
    Best shark movie since 'Jaws'.

It admittedly borrows one major plot element from that film (the mayor's attitude towards safety measures), though it also makes a few interesting points of its own too (i.e. environmental issues, eco-activism, ...).

Great setting, good acting, an effective music score, pretty cinematography and one hell of an ending!

Somewhat of a guilty pleasure for sure, but as far as B-films about a huge shark in the heart of Paris go, you can't ask for much more...

It is what it is, but I found it very enjoyable. Did like The Shallows as well, to be honest.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I may have to subscribe to Netflix...

---
    zSacPjqL4qrIFsI0R1QukGmyXUJ.jpg
    The Beatles: Eight Days a Week - The Touring Years 2016, directed by Ron Howard. Very well put together documentary of the time period, so much nostalgia and great music a must for fans.
    STREETS OF FIRE (1984)
    Recently purchased in 4k, Walter Hill's "Rock and Roll fable" , Loved this in cinemas when I saw it first! It was a time of the music video , and Hill and his co-writer Larry Gross, fashioned a trilogy of action films depicting hero Tom Cody! Alas it's failure at the box office ended this! Never mind, it's still a dazzling looking film with good characters ( especially Amy Madigan and an early role for Willem Dafoe as the villain, Raven!) fabulous music, and over the top action ( the sledgehammer duel is neat!
    This sunday, I watched Godzilla Vs. SpaceGodzilla.A very good new monster, but it was obvious that the series was beginning to lose steam. Still, it has some great moments.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Gerard wrote: »
    This sunday, I watched Godzilla Vs. SpaceGodzilla.A very good new monster, but it was obvious that the series was beginning to lose steam. Still, it has some great moments.

... they really made up for it (IMO) with the Heisei era final: Godzilla vs. Destoroyah I'll be very interested to know your opinion of that film when you get to it.

@peter: If I may ask, how did you watch GODZILLA: MINUS ONE? Netflix? Apple or Amazon Prime? And if Netflix, did you watch the dubbed or subtitled version.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Dwayne wrote: »
    Gerard wrote: »

... they really made up for it (IMO) with the Heisei era final: Godzilla vs. Destoroyah I'll be very interested to know your opinion of that film when you get to it.

@peter: If I may ask, how did you watch GODZILLA: MINUS ONE? Netflix? Apple or Amazon Prime? And if Netflix, did you watch the dubbed or subtitled version.

I watched the subtitled version on Netflix.
    edited June 11 Posts: 24,954
    vlcsnap-2020-07-30-15h44m52s329.png
    For a Few Dollars More, 1965, wow I really enjoyed this rewatch, one of the best westerns of all time, I forgot how incredible and emotionally charged that ending is. Eastwood and Lee Van Cleef as a team is as good as it gets.
  • edited June 11 Posts: 7,381
    Bad Boys Ride or Die ( 2024)
    One of my service users is a fan of the series and persuaded me and the rest of his peers to go. I had only seen the original, and remember enjoying it! But this!?! Oh God, this is bad, and I don't mean in a good way of the title! Painfully unfunny, ( and what is it with Martin Lawrence's face, it's like he has a wasp up his nose, with all the facial contortions!) It has horrible photography, poor characters ( I can't even recall the villain and I only saw it a couple of hours ago!) And the action is badly directed with cameras placed on guns, and videogame style shootouts! Ride or Die? I'll take Die please, if they even consider another one!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

The last act was utterly mental in all the right ways, I found. I hate when these kinds of films (essentially a SyFy channel concept with actual actors and budgets) play it safe. I very much appreciated that they just went for it.

Also found the catacombs sequence with the environmentalists to be geniunely quite visceral and vicious.
    I may have to subscribe to Netflix...

---
    zSacPjqL4qrIFsI0R1QukGmyXUJ.jpg
    The Beatles: Eight Days a Week - The Touring Years 2016, directed by Ron Howard. Very well put together documentary of the time period, so much nostalgia and great music a must for fans.

Highly recommended. I saw it during its brief theatrical run, and then later when I purchased the blu-ray two-disk set.

While it is not (yet) available for streaming - and if you haven't already purchased it - I would also recommend The Beatles Anthology (1995). Although it's a bit outdated now (based on newer releases), it does present a trilling history of the band in their own words over about 10 hours. Using a mix of new and old interviews/videos with John, Paul, George and Ringo, as well as with George Martin, Neil Aspinall and Derek Taylor, it goes into a lot of detail about the ups (and downs) of those years.
    91TOZVRD5tL._SY445_.jpg

Much to my surprise, it is still available on Amazon.com.
    Thanks @peter.

It appears that most viewers are doing the same thing, despite the default showing the dubbed version. I've only heard bits and pieces of the dubbed version and while not as bad as I feared, the effect of the film is lessened.

FYI, the subtitles on Netflix for GODZILLA: MINUS ONE are not the same as those on Apple TV (itunes). Nothing major from what I can tell after watching several "reaction" videos on youtube, but there are some differences. The Apple version (which I purchased) is very close (if not the same) to the subtitles used for the theatrical release.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Dwayne wrote: »
    Thanks @peter.

It appears that most viewers are doing the same thing, despite the default showing the dubbed version. I've only heard bits and pieces of the dubbed version and while not as bad as I feared, the effect of the film is lessened.

FYI, the subtitles on Netflix for GODZILLA: MINUS ONE are not the same as those on Apple TV (itunes). Nothing major from what I can tell after watching several "reaction" videos on youtube, but there are some differences. The Apple version (which I purchased) is very close (if not the same) to the subtitles used for the theatrical release.

That’s interesting @Dwayne — I never thought the subtitles would differ from streamer to streamer— no matter how small. I just assumed the one in the theatrical release would be the version all would use? I wonder why this isn’t the case? Interesting, though!

The last act was utterly mental in all the right ways, I found. I hate when these kinds of films (essentially a SyFy channel concept with actual actors and budgets) play it safe. I very much appreciated that they just went for it.

Also found the catacombs sequence with the environmentalists to be geniunely quite visceral and vicious.

I agree, that ending made it a better film overall for me. The catacombs sequence was indeed also very well done.
    edited June 17 Posts: 2,817
    @peter.

From what I've learned there are two different versions of the English subtitles for GODZILLA: MINUS ONE on Netflix: English Closed Captioned (CC) and English. FWIW, I don't have Netflix so I can't independent verify this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GODZILLA/comments/1d63925/minus_one_netflix_subtitles_different_from/?rdt=41914

That said, it would appear that the CC subtitles add a brief identifier as to is speaking or a description of the action (i.e., “Man 1[Did they kill it?]” or ”Godzilla growling”, etc.…), that are missing from the Apple version. As to why Netflix did this, I can only guess that they felt that doing it this way would make it easier for some to follow what was being said. In addition, there are changes to the actual dialogue. For example, “harlot” (Apple) became “whore” (Netflix).

Subtitles, in general can be a tricky thing. I own three different versions of Gojira (Godzilla 1954) on DVD, and all of them have slightly different subtitles. Again, nothing significant (with the one exception being a reference to Nagasaki). While I'm far from knowledgeable on the subject, it is my understanding that the Japanese language is structured very differently than English. In short, if you give the task of subtitling to different people, they will come back with somewhat different results.

And as you can imagine, that is why the dubbing of these films - even though well intended - is really tough.
    https://cotoacademy.com/7-differences-between-japanese-and-english-language/

Feel free to "stomp" over to the Godzilla thread for more information on these movies.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Thanks @Dwayne ! That's really interesting stuff... It's wild to see the "loan"words that the Japanese use, and not one, not two, but three different writing systems?!!

You think you're coming on a James Bond fan-site, but you get just a little bit more here, don't we.

Thanks very much Dwayne.

And I do pop in and out of the Godzilla thread.

Have a great day!!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

I was surprised that they had the balls to do... that. That sequence in the catacombs was mental.
  • edited June 15 Posts: 7,381
    The Bourne Suprecacy ( 2004)
    Turned up on telly this evening, and though I missed the very start, I stayed with it. It's still a really enjoyable sequel thriller. Director Paul Greengrass has a different style to original helmer Doug Liman ( who's producer here!) , with his shaky cam, but that's a good thing, and it's no less effective. Damon is still solid as Bourne, and the great Brian Cox is in there, stealing scenes all over the place! And Karl Urban (a great Judge Dredd!) plays one of the bad guys! The action is terrific, ( I was delighted Bond Producers brought 2nd unit Director Dan Bradley on board for QOS!) with some tense fight sequences, and a splendid car chase finale! I'll always prefer Bond, but I really like the Bourne series of films ( even the much derided last one whose only fault with me was the lazy title!) and I much prefer them to the M:I movies!
    MV5BMzdjNjI5MmYtODhiNS00NTcyLWEzZmUtYzVmODM5YzExNDE3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTAyMjQ3NzQ1._V1_.jpg

The last movie I caught was "The Menu." It's this wild dark comedy thriller set in the world of fancy dining. There's this crazy plot about a couple going to this super exclusive island for a really mysterious meal. It's all about ambition, fame, and, like, survival. The mix of humor and suspense is so weird but fun.