What Directors Should Helm A Bond Film?

1979899100101103»

Comments

• LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited July 3 Posts: 1,602
    I'll say it: Berger is not a good fit. This interview shows why:
    Was there also a challenge in the storytelling? Did you feel a responsibility to represent these events in a certain way?

We here in Germany are familiar with this perspective on war stories and know about our guilt. I myself, at least, carry it around with me every day, I think about it and can’t just set it aside. And I don't want to set it aside, because it is part of our history. I found it interesting to convey this feeling to an audience abroad as well. When I watch English and American war films, I always notice that there are heroes. They defeat the enemy, have a mission to complete, they have to overcome obstacles or save someone, and at the end they can be celebrated for their heroic deeds. We can't tell stories like that from Germany, and I wanted to use All Quiet on the Western Front to convey to other countries, why that isn’t possible.

Read through this interview, it doesn't sound like a match to me: https://the-talks.com/interview/edward-berger/
    You’ve also spent time working in television — I can imagine that was even more restrictive to your vision.

Exactly. I've always tried to bring my own voice into my television work and tried new things, but German television is primarily interested in training the next directors of something likeTatort, a Sunday night crime film series that has aired for decades, That's why it happens very quickly, you make compromise after compromise… Most of the time I was happy with these films. But then I was disappointed when they were on TV and the next day it was all over because the next one aired. These films don't linger. They have no shelf life because they ship out and one chases the next. At some point I decided to just not continue with it because I would have been miserable. I needed that cut and had to go out and try to make my own films again.

Welp... doesn't sound like he'd be interested in doing more than one to me, if even one.

He would make a different Bond film, but it would not serve the audience what it wants I fear.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    I think if he understands those extra Bond things that makes Bond films Bond films, then we're good.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I keep coming back to this when Berger's name is mentioned:

Ed-Berger.jpg?w=681&h=383&crop=1
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadline.com/2023/11/new-jason-bourne-movie-all-quiet-on-the-western-fronts-edward-berger-1235630286/amp/

If the Bourne film is still moving ahead, I think it renders the Berger rumours moot.
    Again it hard to predict where they will go because by the time they move on with Bond 26 the current trends in action films (adding elements of horror, mobsters as villains, etc) will likely all be played out

However if the film is coming out in 26 i still say base the new film on the novel of Diamonds are forever with the squid bit from Dr. No being the climax

Kelly marcel as writer/director could work assuming she is polishing a script from purvis and wade

As for bond my gut still says its ATJ but perhaps thats the egg salad talking
  • edited July 3 Posts: 3,744
    LucknFate wrote: »
    Was there also a challenge in the storytelling? Did you feel a responsibility to represent these events in a certain way?

We here in Germany are familiar with this perspective on war stories and know about our guilt. I myself, at least, carry it around with me every day, I think about it and can’t just set it aside. And I don't want to set it aside, because it is part of our history. I found it interesting to convey this feeling to an audience abroad as well. When I watch English and American war films, I always notice that there are heroes. They defeat the enemy, have a mission to complete, they have to overcome obstacles or save someone, and at the end they can be celebrated for their heroic deeds. We can't tell stories like that from Germany, and I wanted to use All Quiet on the Western Front to convey to other countries, why that isn’t possible.

Read through this interview, it doesn't sound like a match to me: https://the-talks.com/interview/edward-berger/
    You’ve also spent time working in television — I can imagine that was even more restrictive to your vision.

Exactly. I've always tried to bring my own voice into my television work and tried new things, but German television is primarily interested in training the next directors of something likeTatort, a Sunday night crime film series that has aired for decades, That's why it happens very quickly, you make compromise after compromise… Most of the time I was happy with these films. But then I was disappointed when they were on TV and the next day it was all over because the next one aired. These films don't linger. They have no shelf life because they ship out and one chases the next. At some point I decided to just not continue with it because I would have been miserable. I needed that cut and had to go out and try to make my own films again.

Welp... doesn't sound like he'd be interested in doing more than one to me, if even one.

He would make a different Bond film, but it would not serve the audience what it wants I fear.

Actually I think what he was talking about in the first quote about heroism is pretty interesting. There's a cynical, almost Fleming-esque element to it, albeit from a German about his own country. It's the sort of thing that if channeled right could bring a very interesting perspective to a Bond film. It's also quite interesting reading him talk about the American Dream/that kind of myth-making (he's doesn't even seem cynical about it as well, just interested). I can see someone with those outsider views/ideas doing something like Bond.

I can also sympathise with what he's saying about his experiences with television. I'd imagine working as a director on a Bond film would actually allow more creative input than working on those types of series.

It's still early days obviously, and it's difficult to assess how accurate any of this is. But if he was genuinely being considered I suspect there'd be a reason. And as I always say it's tricky at the best of times gauging just how well some of these directors understand Bond (ie. I'm not sure if there was much indication the likes of Lewis Gilbert or even Terrence Young would have made the Bond films they did going from their filmographies prior). I'll definitely make an effort to catch his upcoming two films though.
    007HallY wrote: »

Actually I think what he was talking about in the first quote about heroism is pretty interesting. There's a cynical, almost Fleming-esque element to it. It's the sort of thing that if channeled right could bring a very interesting perspective to a Bond film. It's also quite interesting reading him talk about the American Dream/that kind of myth-making (he's doesn't even seem cynical about it as well, just interested). I can see someone with those outsider views/ideas doing something like Bond.

I can also sympathise with what he's saying about his experiences with television. I'd imagine working as a director on a Bond film would actually allow more creative input than working on those types of series.

It's still early days obviously, and it's difficult to assess how accurate any of this is. But if he was genuinely being considered I suspect there'd be a reason. And as I always say it's tricky at the best of times gauging just how well some of these directors understand Bond (ie. I'm not sure if there was much indication the likes of Lewis Gilbert or even Terrence Young would have made the Bond films they did going from their filmographies prior). I'll definitely make an effort to catch his upcoming two films though.

Does anyone want another bleak Bond film with themes of moral questioning and blurred lines between good and evil? Was the M. screwup plot used in SF and again in NTTD really compelling enough to do it well again? Do we want someone question whether Bond is a hero? I do not.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    M_Balje wrote: »
    https://www.darkhorizons.com/berger-leads-next-007-film-director-race/
    Berger Leads Next 007 Film Director Race?
    By Garth FranklinTuesday, July 2nd 2024 4:52 pm

MGM, EON, Universal Pictures
    German-born filmmaker Edward Berger, who directed the multiple award-winning recent remake of “All Quiet on the Western Front,” has reportedly emerged as the current frontrunner to direct the next entry in the James Bond franchise.

World of Reel and Jeff Sneider are both reporting that he’s become the top choice, with the latter adding that “Animal Kingdom” helmer David Michod and “Venom: The Last Dance” director Kelly Marcel are also contenders.

Whomever takes the gig will establish the tone and style for whomever is selected as the new Bond following Daniel Craig’s retirement from the role. If it’s Marcel, it would make her the first female director to tackle a Bond film

Kelly Marcel is not directer of Venom 2 but one of the writers. I have seen Venom 2 last week and get idea there whant to make kind of QOS and X-men but failed a bit. Before i watched one of chacters looks on Naomi Harris, illustrations (Possible idea from Andy Serkis as left over from his time on lotr.) tells more about her and Carnage but missing some explanation how she get her powers.

David Michod Animal Kingdom i have seen 9 years a go. To long to remember.

They’re referring to the third Venom film, not the second.
    007HallY wrote: »

Actually I think what he was talking about in the first quote about heroism is pretty interesting. There's a cynical, almost Fleming-esque element to it. It's the sort of thing that if channeled right could bring a very interesting perspective to a Bond film. It's also quite interesting reading him talk about the American Dream/that kind of myth-making (he's doesn't even seem cynical about it as well, just interested). I can see someone with those outsider views/ideas doing something like Bond.

Does anyone want another bleak Bond film with themes of moral questioning and blurred lines between good and evil? Was the M. screwup plot used in SF and again in NTTD really compelling enough to do it well again? Do we want someone question whether Bond is a hero? I do not.

Like I said, it's tricky gauging just what kind of Bond film he'd make one way or the other. He just seems like a director with an interesting perspective about his own country, and if anything seems to have a genuine fascination with America/the pioneer spirit. You could easily argue that a German with those views would look for the inherent heroism in a character like Bond simply due to him not being able to find it with German characters. Heck, you can argue that's what's going on with what he says about America to some extent.

But yeah, it's all hypothetical. I just don't see anything that points to him making a bleak Bond film. I don't mind a bit of moral questioning in Bond (it's fundamentally, after-all, a series with pretty clearly defined villains and heroes/a clear sense of good vs evil even in those Craig films you mentioned). Just depends on what exactly they do.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Is there really a demand for a return to lighthearted Bond? I don’t mean for Bond fans but audiences in general. Could the Craig films have impacted how audiences view Bond in such a big way that there’s no going back?
    I mean, SP is the most lighthearted Bond film of the Craig era and it’s by no means its most successful. I’d even argue it veers too light at times.

Then again it really depends. I don’t think there’s an appetite to have a completely lighthearted Bond film (ie. I think if they went into the next film with the mentality of making it a two hour version of the latter part of the Cuba sequence it’d be a disaster). But Bond should be fun and always has been. It’s just about getting a gripping story with the right balance of that Bondian fun/outlandishness. But I can’t see a complete return to campiness.
  • edited July 3 Posts: 1,132
    Is there really a demand for a return to lighthearted Bond? I don’t mean for Bond fans but audiences in general. Could the Craig films have impacted how audiences view Bond in such a big way that there’s no going back?

Will there be demand for a Bond movie in 2027? Craig is not the problem.
    I guess the question is where do find the first three Brosnan movies? Seems like a nice balance, if a little hammy or trying too hard at times, in action, humor, romance, and drama, but at least it was firing on all cylinders so to speak. I don't mind the Craig era but I think CR was the right edginess with enough dark humor about a... killer job... etc. and they were clearly being clever and having fun in all departments, dropping some of that balance in the subsequent films to various faults, for me.

And I'm arguing Berger seems interested in challenging each of those aspects, and I'm not sure the audience wants to be challenged in that way for a first Bond film etc. Nobody wants to walk out of cinemas in the summer or on Christmas questioning and arguing over what they just watched. They want to see what a modern James Bond looks like, not that he's a superhero, but he should defeat a clearly morally inferior villain and demonstrate some sort of "for the common good" aspect, if not for England for the World. Those are his stakes, I'm not interested in minimizing those stakes too much.

Not saying anyone else is wrong, just my perspective for what I hope to come.
    If Edward Berger and Kelly Marcel are contenders, I don't think Barbara knows what tone she wants to follow.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

It's very good point. People liked the Craig films; I can imagine something maybe towards the Maverick tone of a little more fun in there, but that film had drama too, and I think the audience expect a bit of meat in there.
    mtm wrote: »

It's very good point. People liked the Craig films; I can imagine something maybe towards the Maverick tone of a little more fun in there, but that film had drama too, and I think the audience expect a bit of meat in there.

Tell which of Craig's films where he wasn't clearly the hero of the story? Where he wasn't, in some regard, working in the interest of the British government? Where there weren't worldly implications if he failed? I'm saying Berger so far has not demonstrated that perspective, nor an interest in it, but even spoken out about the opposite. I have not left with a "that was fun" impression watching a Bond movie since 2006, and that kind of upsets me, and that one was even gut wrenching at the very end.

Not asking to be treated like a baby. I think Berger could surprise me with a "The Batman" style look at Bond, something showing more of his perspective but without doing the same-old drama. Dark and mysterious and raw but with all the elements you expect of the character and not too much baggage (Alfred lives, Catwoman lives, etc., but Bruce has developed and matured even more than when we met him, and has a better understanding of his role in the world). But that's still a hero's journey, which Berger explicitly criticized or at least would want to challenge.
    But he didn’t criticise anything about traditional heroism in that interview. He just talked about German guilt around the war, how that compares/is different to American and British movies, and wanting to show this. I don’t get the sense he was looking down on those American/British movies or those ideas (in fact he seems to admire America for its frontier imagery, which I don’t think a cynical, scarf wearing intellectual type intent on ‘challenging’ traditional narratives would do).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    mtm wrote: »

Tell which of Craig's films where he wasn't clearly the hero of the story? Where he wasn't, in some regard, working in the interest of the British government? Where there weren't worldly implications if he failed? I'm saying Berger so far has not demonstrated that perspective, nor an interest in it, but even spoken out about the opposite. I have not left with a "that was fun" impression watching a Bond movie since 2006, and that kind of upsets me, and that one was even gut wrenching at the very end.

I was just responding to Makeshift's point, not saying you're wrong at all.
  • edited July 5 Posts: 129
    What about Australian director Mark Molloy? I haven't seen "Beverly Hills Cop: Axel F." yet, but looking at the reviews, he seems to have made a good job even though it was his first feature film. Also, as he mentioned in an interview, he insisted to film real action instead of using CGI - certainly a plus.
  • edited July 6 Posts: 547
    https://x.com/krolljvar/status/1808278251909140953?s=46&t=1n5Rcs-hD3txaEWwd9IFoA

Reliable source says "no meetings" with any filmmakers yet. Careful wording there. Doesn't mean there isn't a shortlist of who to meet etc.

Wow. Justin Kroll totall shot down the rumour reported by Sneider with that tweet.

And I do hope that Kroll is right. I don't want any of the 3 rumoured directors (Berger, Michôd and Marcel) near Bond 26.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    László Nemes https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/László_Nemes
    Born in Hungary, grow up in France at age of 12. Been in VS for 5 years.
    Nemes has named Michelangelo Antonioni, Andrei Tarkovsky, Ingmar Bergman, Terrence Malick and Stanley Kubrick as some of his favorite directors.

Has sadley a experience as Cuby Broccoli with From Russia with Love when there filming The Man from London (2007) where he was assistant directer there was committed suicide, in this case a producer.

Sam Mendes and mabey a bit Marc Forster vibes.

Dropt out on same film school in VS as directers Steve McQueen and Paul Thomas Anderson. He working with Hungarian sounddesigner on Sunset who also did this for Dutch movie.
    László Nemes is a great director, but I find it hard to imagine him directing such a big-budget movie.

One of his directing characteristics is that he always keeps the camera close to his main character; these are not films with a first person POV shot, but the camera circles around the protagonist and keeps the background at a distance: there are no wide shots and his films never follow other characters. Such an approach is one of his characteristic traits that I would have a hard time imagining him abandoning it when it is ultimately quite far from the usual imagery of a Bond movie.

Also, he never directed anything in English language, as opposed to Berger.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    Is there anything to Ralph Fiennes being involved in the upcoming Edward Berger movie Conclave? Ralph has had plot input for the Bond movies on the past and if they are wanting him to continue on in the series he may have some say in who they choose. Similar to how Craig proposed and backed Mendes.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTWJR_zs3Tqwn1iLEUuEmnYnuTj4ct8Q43e_q44zX0Odn4OsupV