Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

meshypushy wrote: »
    Mescal is certainly a decent actor but he’s one of the few I would put on a ‘who I don’t want to see as Bond’ list (topped by ATJ, with Mescal at 2 and Richard Madden at 3).
    Outside of hi sexploits off-camera, I really cannot see anything remotely Bondian about him. He always looks to me like the Milky Bar Kid wearing fake facial hair.

He looks like Harry Potter.

So Daniel Radcliffe couldn’t be Bond? 🤔

Probably couldn’t incidentally. But it wouldn’t be because he was Harry Potter. One never knows…
    mtm wrote: »
    Yeah, the way that the ladies seem to drool over him and that he's a proper actor does make me think he's a strong option. He's a man's man, alpha sort of type. Plus he's becoming well-known for his fashion style too; quite reminiscent of Craig in many ways. Many boxes ticked.

You certainly think highly of Paul Mescal.
    To be fair I think he looks a lot better without his usual Harry Potter hairstyle.

1892242-800w.jpg

PAUL%2BMESCAL.jpg
  • peterpeter Toronto
    He’s also a big strong boy with a helluva bunch of acting accolades, from Olivier’s to BAFTA, to Oscar nom to Emmy nom….

His mullet of choice is unfortunate, but give him a good cut (like that top pic), and I think he has all that it takes to give us a very strong take on the role.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I do tend to come back to how he's become quite a big sex symbol in the UK: there's a really funny story about him and an Islington pub from earlier in the year which kind of cemented it for me! I kind of think that nailing a sex symbol in the role isn't a bad move at all, and it's what happened with Craig in CR.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I do tend to come back to how he's become quite a big sex symbol in the UK: there's a really funny story about him and an Islington pub from earlier in the year which kind of cemented it for me! I kind of think that nailing a sex symbol in the role isn't a bad move at all, and it's what happened with Craig in CR.

What happened at the pub @mtm?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It's probably urban legend, but it became known that he haunts a certain pub and perhaps meets ladies there and basically willing partners effectively started queueing up there! :D
  • peterpeter Toronto
    It's probably urban legend, but it became known that he haunts a certain pub and perhaps meets ladies there and basically willing partners effectively started queueing up there! :D

Ahahaha, that’s not a bad urban legend to have hanging around your neck— especially if you were, in the future , to play Bond!!

My daughters (19 and 20), certainly have weak-knees for him. Quite badly in fact.

At first I didn’t see what they saw, and then a few films in, I can see his appeal.

I’m not sure he’d want the role, but if he got it, I wouldn’t be surprised in the least.
  • meshypushymeshypushy Ireland
    I’ve heard from numerous sources that this is not urban legend - in addition to some of the tales about the post-pub pursuits. I think Lazenby would be proud!
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    edited July 4 Posts: 2,641
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/metro.co.uk/2024/07/02/paul-mescal-seen-sniffing-suspicious-substance-key-glastonbury-21142619/amp/

Just seen this story, which doesn't look good look for Mescal. The last few paragraphs are interesting regarding his potential casting as Bond, similar to Craig, he seems reluctant to be too famous.
    Lmao. What a mess.
  • BennyBenny Shaken not stirredAdministrator, Moderator
    It’s stories like the above that would surely put EON off.
    Not the kind of image they want associated with their brand.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Local cops got a tip about a warehouse last night. Turned up 500 keys of Colombian pure, Paul Mescal, and a little bitty piece of what used to be James Bond potential.

If this guy doesn't want more people to know who he is, then he might wanna stay out of the headlines.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 5 Posts: 16,000
    meshypushy wrote: »
    I’ve heard from numerous sources that this is not urban legend - in addition to some of the tales about the post-pub pursuits. I think Lazenby would be proud!

Oh wow, really! :))
    When you say pursuits do you literally mean pursuits? There's a fun story about his post-coital sprinting ability :D
    The papers are certainly very keen on stories about him, there's clearly a buzz.
    Pascal called him a "brick wall" about his Gladiator fight scenes. I remember being called that in a five-a-side footy match.
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/metro.co.uk/2024/07/02/paul-mescal-seen-sniffing-suspicious-substance-key-glastonbury-21142619/amp/

Just seen this story, which doesn't look good look for Mescal. The last few paragraphs are interesting regarding his potential casting as Bond, similar to Craig, he seems reluctant to be too famous.

Pretty shocking to be honest. A true Bondian candidate would mix that substance into their champagne.
  • meshypushymeshypushy Ireland
    Oh wow, really! :))
    When you say pursuits do you literally mean pursuits? There's a fun story about his post-coital sprinting ability :D
    The papers are certainly very keen on stories about him, there's clearly a buzz.
    It looks like the media are enjoying having a celebrity who’s a bit of a hellraiser - they seem to be in short supply since the 90s. The problem for him is that it is not the 90s and he might want to consider the impact of his personal life on his career, in a society where folk in the public eye are expected to be squeaky clean. Any time I hear these type of rumours, I’m assuming EoN are scratching these actors off their list - I would have assumed the same for Egerton but in his case, the rumours appeared to not get the same traction. In today’s world, I would expect the next Bond to be one that will present little risk to the Bond brand - as far away from a Lazenby / Ollie Reed type as possible!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    007HallY wrote: »

Pretty shocking to be honest. A true Bondian candidate would mix that substance into their champagne.

Arf! :D

I honestly don't think anything like this would mean Eon would strike anyone off their list: they'd just make sure he behaves better once he's onside.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York

I honestly don't think anything like this would mean Eon would strike anyone off their list: they'd just make sure he behaves better once he's onside.

In America, I'm taking the same thing he's probably snorting off that key as part of a clinical medical trial. He's fine.
  • BennyBenny Shaken not stirredAdministrator, Moderator
    Yeah I often snort medication off a key at a music festival.
    An actor in the spotlight like this is not a good thing for any studio.
    Even if he’s not on EON’s radar, why would they risk an actor who snorts medicine at Glastonbury, when it’s likely going to rear its head again if he took on one of the biggest roles in cinema.
    They won’t even let the reigning actor were a black tie in films outside of Bond.
    We don't need no cocaine dangerous drug class A user as Bond!! You'd think actors would be confident without it but that's what the kids are into these days.
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Being chauffeured by Tibbett
    edited July 5 Posts: 633
    [COMMENT DELETED]
    Benny wrote: »
    Yeah I often snort medication off a key at a music festival.
    An actor in the spotlight like this is not a good thing for any studio.
    Even if he’s not on EON’s radar, why would they risk an actor who snorts medicine at Glastonbury, when it’s likely going to rear its head again if he took on one of the biggest roles in cinema.
    They won’t even let the reigning actor were a black tie in films outside of Bond.

Clutching your pearls. It's not a big deal. You are complaining about seeing it, as I'm sure you are aware that just about everybody in that industry probably does that and a lot worse when they think you aren't looking.
    It's more likely he would be doing ketamine rather than cocaine.
  • edited July 5 Posts: 3,744
    I don’t suspect it’s a deal breaker, unless he develops a really bad reputation in terms of behaviour that makes it known he’s difficult to work with, or publicly becomes known as a drug addict. This doesn’t seem to be the case at the moment. I mean, this sort of stuff in one’s past rarely sinks political careers anymore (again, unless it meets that criteria), let alone acting careers.

Something like a sexual assault/harassment allegation would make an impact on Bond (not necessarily his career as a whole) but we’re really not in that territory. Like I said, I think he’s unlikely to get the role regardless.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I don't think it'll be that much of a story, had this happened after Gladiator 2, when he'll probably be more famous and under more scrutiny is another thing.
    Still not a good look
    Anyone asking Bond to be a role model is comical.

I don't think Barbara wants to be anyone's mother.
    LucknFate wrote: »
    Anyone asking Bond to be a role model is comical.

He should definitely be a role model. This is not Gladiator part 2. Stay consistent with the character, be professional, look sophisticated etc. I rather the utmost positive take on the character on and off screen. I know a man.
    Veering away from the topic a bit, but I think whatever way the next actor is going to get some sort of internet (perhaps even public) criticism about something superficial to do with their personal life that’ll clash with Bond in some way.

I mean, look at all the flack Craig got. Off the top of my head this included him saying he wasn’t a fan of guns, him admitting he preferred going to gay bars with friends rather than a typical pub, and him carrying his infant child in a baby carrier. I’m sure all the Bond actors at some point have gotten criticism about being dressed down or having a beard or whatever.

Not to say it’s a good idea for the next Bond actor to be snapped snorting ketamine every weekend, but I think it’s an impossible task to expect the next actor to be James Bond 24/7.