Would you rather an animated Bond series or movie OR a time period Bond set in the 1950's or 60's?

Comments

• thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    edited July 7 Posts: 5,249
    Good stuff about the soundtracks of both films. I think they both have their fans and I certainly can enjoy both.

Would you rather watch DN OR LALD?

Both feature an actor in their first role as Bond. Both feature action in the Caribbean. Both have Felix Leiter and a version of Quarrel. Both feature naive female characters who are civilians. Both films feature a main villain with a network of people working for them.

Which one is going on your screen when you are thinking of watching a Bond movie?
    DN, though I love both.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    FoxRox wrote: »
    DN, though I love both.
    Same.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    DN.

LALD is probably my least favourite Bond entry before the Craig era...
  • peterpeter Toronto
    R1s1ngs0n wrote: »
    DN, though I love both.
    Same.

Close, but ultimately, DN. Both films are incredibly bizarre, and Dr. No’s underground HQ is quite a bit cooler and more frightening to me. Feels like there’s legitimately no easy escape. All this eeriness becomes elevated with Sister Rose and Sister Lilly’s cheerful hosting skills.
    peter wrote: »
    DN, though I love both.
    Same.

Close, but ultimately, DN. Both films are incredibly bizarre, and Dr. No’s underground HQ is quite a bit cooler and more frightening to me. Feels like there’s legitimately no easy escape. All this eeriness becomes elevated with Sister Rose and Sister Lilly’s cheerful hosting skills.

I’m glad you pointed out the cheerfulness of Sister Rose and Sister Lilly. I always enjoy an interesting contrast of positive and negative coexisting like this in art. It’s just fascinating and makes one think.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    peter wrote: »
    DN, though I love both.
    Same.

I’m glad you pointed out the cheerfulness of Sister Rose and Sister Lilly. I always enjoy an interesting contrast of positive and negative coexisting like this in art. It’s just fascinating and makes one think.

It’s a great contrast isn’t it. They up the creep factor by a thousand. Impending death, brought to you by two cheerful and overly friendly ladies, who get you all dressed up, mothering over you in a way, only to deliver you into the mouth of the dragon, 😂!! It’s fantastic!
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Tb as a film I love LALD slightly more, but I'll choose DN as I can't seem to find the DVD and have been longing to put it on for over a year now.
    LALD for me, as it just holds a special place for me, having been part of that big audience for its television premiere on a Sunday evening, watching with my younger brother, and talking about it with my mates in school next day!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou, but I now hear a new dog barkin'
    I like both, but LALD was the first Bond movie I ever saw three times at a cinema (and maybe even the only one...not sure about any other), in spring/summer 1974, and in different places. In spite of disliking the "supernatural" and "psychic" aspects of it, it remains close to my heart, and I prefer it over most of the other Moore films. And also over some of the Connerys, in this case DN.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    That's a tough one... DN I guess, but they're both close for me...
    Both were very close in the last ranking I did for these forums for what it's worth. But they're actually both similar films in terms of style/theme in many ways. Ie. there's a tinge of exoticism/supernaturalism to the villain's plot in both, Bond is actually introduced in a similar way with agents being murdered before he's enlisted on the case (and with the audience getting a glimpse into Bond's private life/even flat as he's getting this assignment). Both mark points in both Connery and Moore's eras where the filmmaking wasn't quite at its best.

For me overall it's DN, but both are great.
    DN, though I think LALD is RM's best film. DN follows the novel very closely. And here we see a new actor laying the groundwork for the next sixty plus years. Sparse, rough, and Bond at his least charming. But such an auspicious beginning. Whereas RM had two actors and seven films to inform his interpretation. Too bad the inflated ending ruined an otherwise decent film.
  • BennyBenny Shaken not stirredAdministrator, Moderator
    DN with ease, as it’s one of my favourites.
    LALD is a damn fine debut from Roger Moore though.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    DN. Connery, when he was lean, sharp and interested. Oh - and the coolest man on the planet. Where would we be without DN?
    DN because it is just so excellent and has the best introduction to Bond, but I do also love LALD, which I think is Moore's second best behind TSWLM.
    Dr No.

It's a classic movie. Joseph Wiseman is great in this.

And you have Connery, Ursula, a mean Bond and sexy scenes.

And LALD.. well, It's okay-ish.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Neither are my favourites but I'd probably go for LALD as there's a bit more variety in it and the films are more fully formed at this point.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    Very similar debuts. I like both. But I'll go with Dr.No.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    Dr. No, of course, the one that started the series and gave James Bond a stable footing in the cinematic realm, but aside from that, it's also fun and entertaining too, this is James Bond in his most prime!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Very rare I'd go anything Moore over Connery but in this instance I think I'm going to choose LALD. I love its vibrancy, its locations, and its music. It also has Sheriff JW Pepper.
    I’d probably have to pick Dr. No.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Such a tough one here - I wanna say DN because I'm yearning for a more detective-driven and stripped back film (for B26), but I gotta go with my heart and say LALD, as it was one of the first few I owned on VHS.

Both films show Bond's arrival at the airport, complete with tagged luggage, and later hailing a cab. I miss seeing those details as it adds to the travelogue vibe. Also, some great hotel room sweep scenes and Bond in a bar with music!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 9 Posts: 16,000
    What is the thing with Bond's luggage having the same number as the cab licence plate? Is that a spy thing? It doesn't seem a terribly hard code to break for any enemies, and why communicate it to Bond that way- why not just tell him? I've never quite got it.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited July 9 Posts: 3,675
    mtm wrote: »
    What is the thing with Bond's luggage having the same number as the cab licence plate? Is that a spy thing? It doesn't seem a terribly hard code to break for any enemies, and why communicate it to Bond that way- why not just tell him? I've never quite got it.

Interesting point.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think it's definitely a 'it's just a movie' moment, but I must confess it always throws me out of the film a bit because I'm never sure how it's all supposed to be working.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou, but I now hear a new dog barkin'
    mtm wrote: »
    I think it's definitely a 'it's just a movie' moment, but I must confess it always throws me out of the film a bit because I'm never sure how it's all supposed to be working.

Well, with all due respect, that is something one encounters in just about every Bond movie. And especially in comparison with LALD, DN stands up comparatively nicely in that regard.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    edited July 9 Posts: 5,249
    Going slightly off topic here but I loved the tailing vibe and Bond being followed right out of the gate. Think of DN, FRWL, LALD, and to some extent LTK.

On to another film pairing. This one involves a bit of family drama. Lets see which one would you be more apt to watch.

Would you rather watch TWINE OR SP?

Both feature a family drama, one with the King family and one with the Bond family. Both films feature an anti-hero with Valentin helping Bond in TWINE and Mr. White helping Bond in SP. We have M out in the field in both films. Both have some snow action. I am sure there are others. Both have longer PTS sequences that have Bond doing Bondish things.
    Spectre, easily, despite the fact it drives a bulldozer through a lot of established Bond lore, and what it replaces it with is much, much worse. Not a ringing endorsement, but TWINE is just so boring and fumbles a really good set of ideas. A bit like Spectre I suppose, but that can at least keep me awake.
    Both are interesting films for their flaws, and it’s even more interesting coming up with ways these films could be improved.

I think SP is the better film overall. But both have their share of missed opportunities.