Why ??!!...The whinging,moaning,complaining,ranting,letting off steam thread !!

Comments

Seems like the remote of my TV decoder doesn't work anymore. I can't change channels, nor can I see the only channel I have (Sky News) in direct. Thankfully, my subscription to Disney + allowed me to watch Doctor Who yesterday on my computer, but it's not the same thing than watching it on a big screen, right ? And yes, I changed the batteries. Tomorrow, I'll bring the lot, decoder and remote, to the shop, and try to see what's wrong with it. But it's certainly going to cost. Not too much, I hope.
    TV decoders are the worst. I've had (and have grown up using) several decoders, and they've all been horrible. These days, many people here in Norway stream their content (including the regular TV channels) from various subscription providers, using media players like Apple TV or similar instead.

I've had my Apple TV for several years now, and haven't had a single issue. The remote is also a rechargeable one, rather than the typical remote where you need to change the batteries.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Lulu Lemon tops.
    Specifically, Lulu Lemon tops for women.

It’s laundry day.
    I am a meticulous folder (it’s my OCD kicking in, 😂), and my wife has a thousand of these tops. They have straps and strings, and they’re not cut symmetrically, but uneven, so folding them with proper creases is almost impossible. It takes me up to five tries before I’m either satisfied, or frustrated, that I move on to the next top to fold (and go through the same frustrating process).

Rant over.
    If you deliberately do a bad job folding the tops, @peter, maybe you'll get out of having to fold any clothes! 😂
  • peterpeter Toronto
    If you deliberately do a bad job folding the tops, @peter, maybe you'll get out of having to fold any clothes! 😂

😂 it didn’t work, 😂!!!!
    peter wrote: »

😂 it didn’t work, 😂!!!!

Haha! Maybe if you do a bad job of it often enough…?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Tell your wife that you've had enough and you're folding.
  • peterpeter Toronto

😂 it didn’t work, 😂!!!!

She likes to see me suffer, 😂!!
    Dragonpol wrote: »

🤔, but this, @Dragonpol , may just do the mind-trick-switcheroo. This may give her pause, and retaliate with a, “No way!! I’m folding!”

Dragonpol really is a criminal mastermind!
    edited June 23 Posts: 18,166
    I am a bad influence on this forum. >:)
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

😂 it didn’t work, 😂!!!!

She likes to see me suffer, 😂!!

🤔, but this, @Dragonpol , may just do the mind-trick-switcheroo. This may give her pause, and retaliate with a, “No way!! I’m folding!”

Dragonpol really is a criminal mastermind!

Maybe. Or she'll ask you to pay up. I wouldn't bet on it for sure.

I'm the worst folder in the world. Tried countless times and no, didn't mess up on purpose. I can do towels and trousers. That's it. Anything with sleeves will get me into a fit after 28 times of trying. My wife has accepted my shortcomings, thankfully.
    While om happy that we got rid of the tories, I'm gutted that my constituency still voted blue.
    I’m extremely depressed about the political state of my country. Heck, I hate to even have to refer to it as “my” country. If Project 2025 really comes to life we could become at least as bad as past fascist dictatorships and endure irreparable damage. If it goes as far as murdering or imprisoning people for having voted for the other side, I’m screwed. I’m far from a first target because of the right’s bigotries, though, and I deeply fear for all repressed people in the coming years. Even if it’s not a complete apocaylptic vision realized, human rights have already been rolled back before our eyes and will continue to be until we cure ourselves of this plague, if ever.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou, but I now hear a new dog barkin'
    @FoxRox : Can't help saying that I'm afraid you're totally right. But in the interest of Board hygiene, this is all I'm saying right now.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I’m extremely depressed about the political state of my country. Heck, I hate to even have to refer to it as “my” country. If Project 2025 really comes to life we could become at least as bad as past fascist dictatorships and endure irreparable damage. If it goes as far as murdering or imprisoning people for having voted for the other side, I’m screwed. I’m far from a first target because of the right’s bigotries, though, and I deeply fear for all repressed people in the coming years. Even if it’s not a complete apocaylptic vision realized, human rights have already been rolled back before our eyes and will continue to be until we cure ourselves of this plague, if ever.

I'm really afraid of Project 2025 too. If Orange Caligula gets elected, I think it's the end of American democracy.
  • edited July 9 Posts: 12,406
    Ludovico wrote: »

I'm really afraid of Project 2025 too. If Orange Caligula gets elected, I think it's the end of American democracy.

It feels like it’s already dead to be honest, with the highest court in the land being so nakedly partisan. But yeah, probably going to get a lot worse still. This could well be the last real “election,” and who’s to say how bad things get once a dictatorship is formally in place (SCOTUS basically already made it one, but they know the ones who will and won’t be abusing their authority). If I disappear one day everyone, it’s because I got offed for voting for freedom!
    Tyranny is an equal opportunity oppressor. Average citizens--those without wealth, privilege, and power--who think they will enjoy the benefits of a dictatorship will quickly learn what history has always taught.
    CrabKey wrote: »
    Tyranny is an equal opportunity oppressor. Average citizens--those without wealth, privilege, and power--who think they will enjoy the benefits of a dictatorship will quickly learn what history has always taught.

A point always worth bringing up. Certain many will be so cheerful when “their side” wins and looks to take over everything dominantly, not realizing their own lives will become miserable as well eventually. The saddest part is many of them if not most will continue to live in delusion and point the finger somewhere it doesn’t belong until they’re dead.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City

A point always worth bringing up. Certain many will be so cheerful when “their side” wins and looks to take over everything dominantly, not realizing their own lives will become miserable as well eventually. The saddest part is many of them if not most will continue to live in delusion and point the finger somewhere it doesn’t belong until they’re dead.

Agree 100 percent. Sometimes I think that the sole aim is to "own the libs." That their lives and that of the country will be in ruins seems to be beside the point.
  • edited July 9 Posts: 12,406
    Dwayne wrote: »

Agree 100 percent. Sometimes I think that the sole aim is to "own the libs." That their lives and that of the country will be in ruins seems to be beside the point.

Yep. The country’s gone too woke - blowing it up is the only reasonable solution! They truly believe that unironically, and there’s tons of voters out there so quick to overlook the truly wicked and dangerous nature of Trump just because “Biden’s too old” or “he’s responsible for a bad economy.” It’s terrifying. Nixon’s watergate scandal might as well be a small footnote at this point compared to how far we’ve gone.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m livid at the Democrats for making it as easy as possible for the other side to win. They’ve been trying to lose since 2016. But it doesn’t change the point how scary and messed up it is that Trump is so electable in the eyes of so many.
    While om happy that we got rid of the tories, I'm gutted that my constituency still voted blue.

At least the likes of Liz Truss and Sir Jacob Rees-Mogg lost their seats and are out of parliament. That can only be a good thing for the future of British democracy.
    Ironically, the SCOTUS immunity decision allows Biden to do now what Trump is apparently planning. But democrats always believe the other side will see the error of their ways and do the right thing. But I guess it's in the DNA of those who think 'it can never happen here.'

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Friends, it's good to see people care about what's happening in the world. But politics tends to end up a slippery road for any public forum; it's probably best that this discussion, valuable though it is, be taken to private chat rooms. Thank you for your consideration.

At least the likes of Liz Truss and Sir Jacob Rees-Mogg lost their seats and are out of parliament. That can only be a good thing for the future of British democracy.

I've been watching and rewatching Liz Truss defeat. It's like a little schadenfreude moment for me. She so deserve thus defeat and the humiliation.

I guess what bothers me about my current MP is that she shamelessly backed up Truss when the Barbie Girl ran for PM.
  • echoecho 007 in New York

It feels like it’s already dead to be honest, with the highest court in the land being so nakedly partisan. But yeah, probably going to get a lot worse still. This could well be the last real “election,” and who’s to say how bad things get once a dictatorship is formally in place (SCOTUS basically already made it one, but they know the ones who will and won’t be abusing their authority). If I disappear one day everyone, it’s because I got offed for voting for freedom!

+1. Things are bad here in the US.
    And now that's she's been defeated, why can't Liz Truss shut up?
  • BennyBenny Shaken not stirredAdministrator, Moderator
    Okay, you’ve been asked to stop with the political stuff.
    Take it to PM’s, or give it a rest.
    Thanks.
    Benny wrote: »
    Okay, you’ve been asked to stop with the political stuff.
    Take it to PM’s, or give it a rest.
    Thanks.

Sorry, I genuinely forgot.
    You know, I don’t know if there’s a single topic I have more mixed feelings on than sleep. It can feel amazing when it happens the right way and also lead to extraordinary dreams, but on the other hand there can also be unpleasant dreams and it does feel like a massive waste of time. Think of all the extra stuff we could do if we didn’t have to spend a third of our lives unconscious! A good night’s rest can feel great and dreams can sometimes help the creative writer in me, but I also wish I didn’t require it and could just spend more time being productive or having fun on other things.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    You know, I don’t know if there’s a single topic I have more mixed feelings on than sleep. It can feel amazing when it happens the right way and also lead to extraordinary dreams, but on the other hand there can also be unpleasant dreams and it does feel like a massive waste of time. Think of all the extra stuff we could do if we didn’t have to spend a third of our lives unconscious! A good night’s rest can feel great and dreams can sometimes help the creative writer in me, but I also wish I didn’t require it and could just spend more time being productive or having fun on other things.

@FoxRox sleep is medicine for the brain. Cleans out dead or dying cells. Repair on the body happens. Large doses of human growth hormones are released. It’s as essential as food. I’m saying this as someone who had issues with sleep for fifteen years.
    Now I take as seriously as going to the gym, or eating healthfully. I have an entire protocol every single night to make sure that I have deep sleeps.
    I understand what you’re saying, but sleep is key to over all health, including neuro/cognitive functions!!
  • echoecho 007 in New York

@FoxRox sleep is medicine for the brain. Cleans out dead or dying cells. Repair on the body happens. Large doses of human growth hormones are released. It’s as essential as food. I’m saying this as someone who had issues with sleep for fifteen years.
    Now I take as seriously as going to the gym, or eating healthfully. I have an entire protocol every single night to make sure that I have deep sleeps.
    I understand what you’re saying, but sleep is key to over all health, including neuro/cognitive functions!!

A timely discussion:

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/07/15/well/mind/sleep-dementia.html