The Petrolhead Lounge

Comments

• zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    edited June 3 Posts: 4,334
    Good to see that this thread still has some life in it!
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    Univex wrote: »
    The new Vantage looks so good, and everyone in the industry is in love with it, that’s impossible not to want it as the next vehicle of choice. A grey one with a green interior and callipers would be a dream, IMO.

Agreed on all accounts, except they will release a DBS-replacing Vanquish at the end of this year, they've teased. That seems more Bond's speed.
    New Harry's Garage Video looking at one of the orange Jag CX-75 stunt cars from Spectre. Segment starts at 5:44.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 13 Posts: 16,000
    Yeah I had no idea one of them had been rebuilt and 'road-ised' by Callum; that's very cool. There's only four of them, so pretty exclusive!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    The Ford Capri is back!

2024Ford_ElectricCapri_38.jpg

Eughh.

Is there any further need for proof that car styling is getting worse?

335DD8DE00000578-3549336-Capri_craze_This_1978_Capri_3_0_S_that_featured_in_cult_TV_show_-a-56_1461166928323.jpg
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    The Ford Capri is back!

Eughh.

335DD8DE00000578-3549336-Capri_craze_This_1978_Capri_3_0_S_that_featured_in_cult_TV_show_-a-56_1461166928323.jpg

Why do they want to put a legendary name on such a generic design?
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou, but I now hear a new dog barkin'
    The Ford Capri is back!

Eughh.

Because they did the same with "Mustang".
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    The Ford Capri is back!

Eughh.

I don't agree. You may not like the current Mustang incarnation, but it is recognisable as a Mustang. You can see the evolution of the design, from the sixties crs all the way up to the current design. The Capri however has no resemblance at all to the original.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    The Ford Capri is back!

Eughh.

Maybe they hope that the name recognition will help sell it. Yeah... good luck with that.
    As a matter of fact, whatever the name may be, it looks no worse (nor better) than most of the other BEVs these days. Ah yes, that's what makes the design "generic"...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 10 Posts: 16,000
    The Ford Capri is back!

Eughh.

I don't agree. You may not like the current Mustang incarnation, but it is recognisable as a Mustang. You can see the evolution of the design, from the sixties crs all the way up to the current design. The Capri however has no resemblance at all to the original.

Well, there are clearly some design cues in there from the previous Capri, much as the Mustang has. More than I expected there to be, in fact. I think this is quite a nice looking car to be honest, I prefer it to that Mustang, but I'd obviously prefer it if were an actual coupe.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    The new BMW M5 debuted this morning at Goodwood: 727bhp and 1000 torque, amazing.
    mtm wrote: »
    The Ford Capri is back!

Eughh.

Well, there are clearly some design cues in there from the previous Capri, much as the Mustang has. More than I expected there to be, in fact. I think this is quite a nice looking car to be honest, I prefer it to that Mustang, but I'd obviously prefer it if were an actual coupe.

Well, I don't see them. Maybe only the back window, but that's done to so many models it isn't a distinguishing feature. Comparing a 1970 Mustang to a 2024 model there's definately a lot to recognise.

55132fc0787ef_hd_1970-ford-mustang-boss-302-.jpg

2024-ford-mustang-colors-revealed-blue-ember-metallic-looks-fantastic_9.jpg

@CommanderRoss, we are talking about different cars. The one that I and others have been comparing to the new "Capri" is the Mustang Mach E.
    3d7e763a-b3c4-30f3-bded-8ba99c9ffcb2.jpg
    As for the regular sports car with an internal combustion engine, you are absolutely right and there's no contest.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 11 Posts: 16,000
    The Ford Capri is back!

Eughh.

Well, I don't see them. Maybe only the back window, but that's done to so many models it isn't a distinguishing feature.

Really? Yes, the curved back window; I can't think of another car on sale which has that, so I'd say that is very much a distinguishing feature. There's the rear roofline, the black, square front grille and the two pairs of round headlights, the squared off back lights on a black surround which echoes the Mk 1, the way the bonnet has flutes which run into the headlights, an allusion to the crease down the sides... I'm not saying it has the spirit of the old but there are loads of design details which clearly come from the originals and aren't just accidental.
    There's actually way fewer details which are direct matches on those two Mustangs you've posted- I can't see anything which is a direct inspiration. It has the same spirit of course, but nothing in the details, which is what I'm referring to: the grille shape, headlamps, glasshouse, wheels, vents... everything is completely different. Maybe the way the C pillar runs into the rear wings, and the spoilers look similar, but they're hardly distinguishing.
    The Capri name is to sell us something familiar to us. And even though it has nothing to do with the 2-door Ford Capri of the 70ies, I quite like the clarity of the design, specifically the interior and the rear view.

ford-capri-2024-005.jpg?itok=Z8tHjve2
    ford-capri-2024-002-bis-recadre-bd.jpg?itok=RFP8qHZW
    Plus they actually offer some nice colours, as opposed to the drab mess that others suggest on a scale strictly between black and white. Ah, the Seventies...orange and apple-green Beetles, yellow-and-black Rallye Kadetts...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah it's a nice-looking car. I'm not sure about the idea of doing kind of retro themed variations of the same thing based on beloved cars of yesteryear, but regardless I think it's a nice thing.
    And the design sketches help to point out the ideas they've carried over I think:

ford-capri-sketch-1.webp

ford-capri-sketch-rear.webp
    @CommanderRoss, we are talking about different cars. The one that I and others have been comparing to the new "Capri" is the Mustang Mach E.
    3d7e763a-b3c4-30f3-bded-8ba99c9ffcb2.jpg
    As for the regular sports car with an internal combustion engine, you are absolutely right and there's no contest.

Ah, yes, there we're fully in agreement
    The Ford Capri is back!

Eughh.

Well, I don't see them. Maybe only the back window, but that's done to so many models it isn't a distinguishing feature.

Really? Yes, the curved back window; I can't think of another car on sale which has that, so I'd say that is very much a distinguishing feature. There's the rear roofline, the black, square front grille and the two pairs of round headlights, the squared off back lights on a black surround which echoes the Mk 1, the way the bonnet has flutes which run into the headlights, an allusion to the crease down the sides... I'm not saying it has the spirit of the old but there are loads of design details which clearly come from the originals and aren't just accidental.
    There's actually way fewer details which are direct matches on those two Mustangs you've posted- I can't see anything which is a direct inspiration. It has the same spirit of course, but nothing in the details, which is what I'm referring to: the grille shape, headlamps, glasshouse, wheels, vents... everything is completely different. Maybe the way the C pillar runs into the rear wings, and the spoilers look similar, but they're hardly distinguishing.

Well, maybe therein lies the problem. Putting whiskers on an elephant will never make it look like a housecat. The headlights look more squared than rounded to me, and the grill makes it scream KIA. Anyway, I understand the designers have been obsessed with some of the details, and that's fine, but you just can't turn a sporty-car into an SUV whilst keeping the design, or even referencing to the design. As you said, the modern Mustang and the old one have no line or detail in common but everybody recognises the heritage. Unlike, indeed, the Mach-e.

To me, Ford are losing it again after a couple of decades of beeing very recognisable, and making some good cars in the process too. I looked at their line-up and they're all over the place now. Pity.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Well, maybe therein lies the problem. Putting whiskers on an elephant will never make it look like a housecat. The headlights look more squared than rounded to me, and the grill makes it scream KIA. Anyway, I understand the designers have been obsessed with some of the details, and that's fine, but you just can't turn a sporty-car into an SUV whilst keeping the design, or even referencing to the design. As you said, the modern Mustang and the old one have no line or detail in common but everybody recognises the heritage. Unlike, indeed, the Mach-e.

Well you're moving the goalposts of the discussion: I said that they are design cues they've carried over which you argued you couldn't see, and that's what we were talking about. I've said several times I'd prefer it as a coupe, we all agree on that. I was responding to your point that there are no recognisable design cues, which you countered with a picture of two cars which share no design cues.

The lights are literally four sets of arcs on both sides alluding to rounded double headlamps. It's not even like the original Capris even all had round headlamps anyway; I feel like you're being argumentative for the sake of it so I'll leave you to it.

Well you're moving the goalposts of the discussion: I said that they are design cues they've carried over which you argued you couldn't see, and that's what we were talking about. I've said several times I'd prefer it as a coupe, we all agree on that. I was responding to your point that there are no recognisable design cues, which you countered with a picture of two cars which share no design cues.

The lights are literally four sets of arcs on both sides alluding to rounded double headlamps. It's not even like the original Capris even all had round headlamps anyway; I feel like you're being argumentative for the sake of it so I'll leave you to it.

That's my whiskers comment. Ok, now you've pointed them out I can see them trying to make a housecat out of an elephant. The video above from Harry's garage has a great example of an impressionably ugly huge car somebody put a Rolls Royce front on. All it does, is make it look even more like a Frankenstein.

They did a better job in India with the Peugot 206:

You may seek those resemblances, I don't, as your average customer. Hence, the 'four arcs' you point out, to me give the hint of square headlights, hence the 'nod' is completely lost on me. I don't understand why you'd claim the original ones lights weren't completely round anyway. As far as I know they were very much.
    The original Capri (1968-72) did indeed have square headlights instead of double round ones. At least the affordable versions did, the double round ones (at least initially only on the RS 2600) were due to having to fit U.S. sealed beams for export. I remember my Latin teacher drove a metallic-blue Capri to school (ca. 1972), and it definitely had square headlights. That doesn't mean I find more of a connection between the original Capri and the electric one regarding the headlights. Neither rings a bell wiith me.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    $2 300 000 Lotus Evija X Hypercar Crashes instantly at startline Goodwood FOS 2024

2024 Goodwood Festival of Speed live stream

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    $2 300 000 Lotus Evija X Hypercar Crashes instantly at startline Goodwood FOS 2024

Oh yikes!

Oh yikes!

I hope hypercar drivers are insured for that!

Glad the driver is ok, looks like quite the impact.
    This interview brought a lot of smiles to my face. Former BMW technical director recalls how he stopped and rerouted the development of the 7-series when he thought the initial design would not stand up to the champion, the Mercedes S-class. Such an enthusiasm, so much joy, and a gripping story of how BMW managed to overtake Mercedes.

The car in question is the BMW E32 of TND fame.

For those who like the new Ford Capri, here it is in motion:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/29148878/watch-new-ford-capri-hit-road-first-time/

It's still a 'no' from me.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I saw a couple of them in the flesh today (both yellow, as seems to be the rule for some reason!), as before I thought they were both very decent looking cars. I like the simplicity of the look.

Amongst other things I saw the Aston Victor, Valour and Valiant as well. I hadn't actually realised how different the Valour was from the Victor: in my head they were basically the same design, but I'm afraid the Victor has tonnes more presence. The Valour is lovely but you can maybe sense the Vantage just under the skin a bit too much.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    2025 Aston Martin Vanquish
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 3 Posts: 16,000
    I think I like the back more than the front, but it's nice generally.
    I think the Ferrari they're comparing it to there is a more successful design though.