Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited July 14 Posts: 3,102
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I still think my son should be auditioned. Sure, he's only seven now, but that makes for a great marketing stunt
    And he'll be 37 by the time they start shooting Bond 26, too - perfect timing, mate! ;)
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Jack Lowden, another actor high on my list of candidates.

https://screenrant.com/slow-horses-jack-lowden-james-bond-audition/
  • meshypushymeshypushy Ireland
    talos7 wrote: »
    Jack Lowden, another actor high on my list of candidates.

https://screenrant.com/slow-horses-jack-lowden-james-bond-audition/
    Absolutely - I think Lowden would be an excellent choice. I actually think his performance in The Gold is closer to being a ‘Bond audition’ than Slow Horses but two standout performances in two great shows, for sure.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I am very much on the Theo James bandwagon after rewatching The Gentlemen again. He exudes all the qualities that Bond should have, I feel. Tall, dark, handsome but rugged, has a great voice that can take the room by the throat, and most importantly......he can act.

After a trip to a decent hair stylist, I think he should definitely be our guy.

555de14679ad-theo-james-gentleman.jpg

I am very much on the Theo James bandwagon after rewatching The Gentlemen again. He exudes all the qualities that Bond should have, I feel. Tall, dark, handsome but rugged, has a great voice that can take the room by the throat, and most importantly......he can act.

After a trip to a decent hair stylist, I think he should definitely be our guy.

555de14679ad-theo-james-gentleman.jpg

Absolutely, I would cast him immediately…
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    There was a bit of box ticking done throughout the series (character in army uniform, character in tuxedo, character with pistol, character having a scrap with henchman bigger than him etc.) that were obvious green flags for me, @talos7: but the sealing of the deal was how he managed to come across very strong opposite performers with big presences who were also giving very BIG performances, namely Winstone and Esposito.
    Absolutely…
  • edited July 14 Posts: 6,702
    An absolute favourite, that one. In fact, the only one I can imagine in the role nowadays.

BTW, it’s been 5 years since the last one was shot. I know of the censorship/dogma that EON has no obligation to us fans, and I am their number one supporter, even though I disliked NTTD as much as I did DAD, but isn’t it time to be a bit vocal on how odd it is that absolutely no apparent movement is being made? I know the film industry is changing and so is the world, but am I meant to believe there is absolutely no idea as to where Bond should go next as a character and a franchise?

Sure, someone will come along and say we are lucky to have many films to rewatch and all that, but why? Why should we be content if all of us know of the joy it is to have a new Bond film to look forward to?

I’ve had Bond fan friends who have died since NTTD with no hope for a single news drop. And frankly, that saddens me.

Has Daniel Craig been the pinacle for EON? Have they lost their habbility to rethink and adapt? Do they have any interest in moving forward? And why aren’t these valid questions?

Should I rejoice with the 007 store newly released pet bow ties? And Bond themed socks?

Should I just keep my mouth shut and wait in reverence and undying hope?

Forgive me for stirring the proverbial pot, but heck, it’s been a while, and nothing has changed, there’s no movement on the tall grass. Everything seems strangely quiet, and many of us have been around for ages. Even the 90s gap wasn’t this quiet and all we had were magazines.
    I yearn for the day a journalist gets a microphone in front of BB and actually asks her some tough questions. They just seem happy to take the stock answer and move on.
    Mallory wrote: »
    I yearn for the day a journalist gets a microphone in front of BB and actually asks her some tough questions. They just seem happy to take the stock answer and move on.

Well, she’s not a politician or someone who needs to be asked hard questions in her profession, and even in that scenario she’d likely give exactly the same answers as she has done.

I suspect we’ll get more of an insight into their process much later. But for now we really don’t know anything one way or the other about the next iteration of Bond.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    007HallY wrote: »

Well, she’s not a politician or someone who needs to be asked hard questions in her profession, and even in that scenario she’d likely give exactly the same answers as she has done.

I suspect we’ll get more of an insight into their process much later. But for now we really don’t know anything one way or the other about the next iteration of Bond.

Exactly, and whether the new film comes out in three weeks or three years, most of us here will be first to enter the cinema anyways.

They won’t lose many of us, and when the new era kicks off, they will gain a few many more fans.

In the big picture, the worldwide movie audience isn’t clamouring for a new Bond film just yet. So as producers, what’s the point in rushing anything if they don’t have to? They’re obviously doing other things at the moment (I hear Gregg is working closely on the new video game; BB is producing Craig’s film production of Othello and already helped lock some financing).

But when the teasers and trailers start coming in, moviegoers around the world, and we die hard fans, will have their/our interest piqued.

Bond will be back.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    edited July 15 Posts: 2,641
    @Univex I'm sorry about your friends mate.

I know how you feel about the wait, it does feel like EON has been somewhat rocked since the death of Bond in NTTD. I imagine they planned a small break between NTTD and Bond 26, but it is starting to feel never ending, calm before the storm I hope.

Perhaps they're just waiting for their man? Similar to how they waited till 2006 for Daniel? I read he was offered the role in late 2004 and the producers gave him nearly a year to think it over, maybe history is repeating itself
    Our overlords at MI6-HQ rustled up an “open letter” asking EoN etc to postpone the film’s launch back in March 2020. Maybe it’s time they wrote another one asking what is going on.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited July 14 Posts: 3,102
    If there actually aren't any suitable candidates for a decade-long run, is it better to postpone things indefinitely until the right man turns up, rather than go with someone who'll be adequate, but won't be outstanding? If not, how indefinite is 'indefinitely' before we can have legitimate concerns about how things stand?
    Venutius wrote: »
    If there actually aren't any suitable candidates for a decade-long run, is it better to postpone things indefinitely until the right man turns up, rather than go with someone who'll be adequate, but won't be outstanding? If not, how indefinite is 'indefinitely' before we can have legitimate concerns about how things stand?

Well, you can't really get the right man without looking for him first. It's not a case of someone being born to play the part, but for the team at EON to look at a very wide pool of candidates available and pick/audition who they think best. Waiting for the right man isn't sensible in that sense.

I think while EON have names they keep in mind, the process of actually auditioning them/officially offering them the role comes later. There's much more they have to do before that.

Beside, she most likely does answer hard questions from investors and business partners regularly.
    Ludovico wrote: »

Beside, she most likely does answer hard questions from investors and business partners regularly.

I think you’re right. I suspect as well if she approached her answers in interviews as she did with those individuals she’d still get the same criticism from some fans.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Univex wrote: »
    An absolute favourite, that one. In fact, the only one I can imagine in the role nowadays.

BTW, it’s been 5 years since the last one was shot. I know of the censorship/dogma that EON has no obligation to us fans, and I am their number one supporter, even though I disliked NTTD as much as I did DAD, but isn’t it time to be a bit vocal on how odd it is that absolutely no apparent movement is being made? I know the film industry is changing and so is the world, but am I meant to believe there is absolutely no idea as to where Bond should go next as a character and a franchise?

Sure, someone will come along and say we are lucky to have many films to rewatch and all that, but why? Why should we be content if all of us know of the joy it is to have a new Bond film to look forward to?

I’ve had Bond fan friends who have died since NTTD with no hope for a single news drop. And frankly, that saddens me.

Has Daniel Craig been the pinacle for EON? Have they lost their habbility to rethink and adapt? Do they have any interest in moving forward? And why aren’t these valid questions?

Should I rejoice with the 007 store newly released pet bow ties? And Bond themed socks?

Forgive me for stirring the proverbial pot, but heck, it’s been a while, and nothing has changed, there’s no movement on the tall grass. Everything seems strangely quiet, and many of us have been around for ages. Even the 90s gap wasn’t this quiet and all we had were magazines.

They owe you nothing. They weren't put on this planet solely to churn out Bond films.

Red_Snow wrote: »

They owe you nothing. They weren't put on this planet solely to churn out Bond films.

If they don't want to make movies, they can sell the franchise. They didn't invent Bond.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    I think, given the lack of even "no comment" or "wait and see" or even "nothing (still) happening" from the Eon group in recent months should be acceptable as frustrating for a fan. I'm with @Univex. It's suspicious and becoming alarming.
  • peterpeter Toronto

If they don't want to make movies, they can sell the franchise. They didn't invent Bond.

That has nothing to do with what Red Snow said.

Who said anything about not making movies? Straw man argument again….
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited July 15 Posts: 1,884
    I don't know if I'm correct, but I think a member here said if it gets to 2026 or 2027 and we still don't hear anything, then we should all start getting legitimately worried.
    But I think towards the end of this year or early next year, something should pop up concerning Bond 7 & Bond 26. At least, the Edward Berger rumour has popped up.
    peter wrote: »

That has nothing to do with what Red Snow said.

Who said anything about not making movies? Straw man argument again….

Sure..

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    @peter, @DEKE_RIVERS what is it with you two? Either learn to ignore each other, or take it to pms, and get whatever it is out of your systems. Barely a week goes by, if the rest of us are lucky, before you two are at each others throats again.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I can understand the concern, it does seem like Bond 26 is nowhere near, hopefully it's calm for the storm. It does feel too quiet lately
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @peter, @DEKE_RIVERS what is it with you two? Either learn to ignore each other, or take it to pms, and get whatever it is out of your systems. Barely a week goes by, if the rest of us are lucky, before you two are at each others throats again.

What did I say that was offensive? Red Snow made a statement to another post.

Deke replied to it.

I stated Red Snow didn’t say anything like that, making it a straw man.

If that’s at his throat, then I’ll make my apology, but that wasn’t my intent.
  • Red_Snow wrote: »

They do owe "us" something though. Loyal, long-time, paying customers deserve an update of some kind.

Nobody's mentioned "churning out films" or even something like an update a year. But I think we could all appreciate some sort of update 4 years on from the last one whether it be anything from "we've started" or more
  • peterpeter Toronto

They do owe "us" something though. Loyal, long-time, paying customers deserve an update of some kind.

Nobody's mentioned "churning out films" or even something like an update a year. But I think we could all appreciate some sort of update 4 years on from the last one whether it be anything from "we've started" or more

They make films for worldwide audiences.

Not the die hard fans.

This pause hurts only us.

The IP is in fine shape; every time they licence these films, they make money. A video game is coming out. More books are on the way.

No one is clamouring for a new Bond adventure except for us.

They don’t need to start making another film yet. If anything, time is on their side.

And they won’t lose many disgruntled fans (if any), when the new film is released. They’ll only gain more fans with the new actor and new film. Anyone who’s upset now will likely be first in line come B26.

There’s no rush for the new film; nothing will be lost in the pause, not money, not fans. And when that first teaser is released, we will all be talking about it.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    edited July 15 Posts: 2,525

As much as fans would like it to, that just simply isn't how the industry works.

Maybe things will change a little now that a big name director/writer in James Gunn responds in real time on his social feeds to rumours, but I don't see EON adopting that strategy any time soon.

I think the issue is we’re fans, not customers. EON is not a bar or small business which relies on us spending our money on it day after day/semi regularly. At the end of the day they make entertainment/films for a very vast audience, and there are so many different facets to how they make their money.

The truth is none of us would be satisfied even if they did update us with every minute detail of this process. A lot of things you really don’t want to be made public before an official announcement. Ie. It’s rare to get film studios publicly releasing lists of which directors they’re considering, and we only get that kind of information later, if at all. There’s no point in them updating us, for instance, if they’re working on a broad concept/story ideas before they’ve officially commissioned writers to actually write the script or if an official pre-production hasn’t begun. If they have a long term strategy being planned/lined up (for instance, they might want the video game released/publicity for that drummed up to maybe encourage younger audiences before officially starting pre-production on a film) why would they tell us before it’s finalised?

I know it’s annoying. We all want a new Bond film. But I’d say short of something going very wrong in the short term, we will get one eventually, whether in 2026, 2027 or later. It’s so beyond any of our control anyway all we can do is just relax and wait.