Would you rather an animated Bond series or movie OR a time period Bond set in the 1950's or 60's?

Comments

• SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited July 16 Posts: 3,675
    LTK, but because it has a more cohesive story, the plot is more straightforward, the characters were fleshed out without leaving you any questions behind their motives, and for all the dated aspects of its filmmaking (some compare it to the generic 80s action films, which to some extent, I may agree), but compare it to QoS, I could watch the action scenes in LTK more because the camera was more focused 😅, the action scenes in QoS was more visceral but I'm always distracted by the way it's shot, very frenetic and always moving, that to be honest, gets me dizzy everytime (I do have an eye problem, but that makes it worse for me 😅).

The characters in QoS left me with some questions (for example, who is Camille really? I don't know much about her, is she really an agent? But she's Greene's mistress and if so, how long she'd been like that?, And her character left me asking more questions, I don't understand her motives: is she doing what she's doing because of a covert work, does she wants revenge, or what?, The same for Dominic Greene, I know the plot, but his intention was not just clarified, and was Mathis really a villain? Did Bond killed Yusef?)

Like what I've said earlier, QoS had some missed opportunities, we've never got to see Bond giving a full resolution to Vesper's death, and we're instead, saddled with this convoluted of a plot about Dominic Greene, that's why Vesper's ghost still haunted Bond for the films where Bond should have already moved on: SP and NTTD (it's not until NTTD where Bond had given a full closure to her death, something that we should've gotten way back then in QoS), I mean, unlike Tracy (whose apparent references in further films got justified because she's his wife and they've got to know more of each other), for Vesper, as much as I know it's his first love, but he never knew her that much, they've just been together in a short period of time, and still have doubts towards each other, so, I've expected QoS to be Bond coming in a full circle to give Vesper a resolution or a closure and moved on, lesson learned, he had changed.

With LTK, it's all straightforward, the characters there knew their purposes and roles, that's why they're all fleshed out, because they only have single motives, nothing more, nothing less, it's not a film that's compressed with many scenarios (which we've got in QoS), it's not all too complicated that even the viewers have a hard time watching because they keep analyzing some aspects in the film.

The characters were more stronger in LTK than in QoS (give me Dario over Elvis, and most of all, give me Sanchez over Greene), has a more stronger narrative, and never detracts from the film's main intention: have Bond avenge what happened to Felix and his wife.

So, for that matter, I'm giving my nod to LTK.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    QOS. Ill take a Craig film over a Dalton any day
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

You are... problematic...
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    chrisisall wrote: »

You are... problematic...

It's his opinion, let's respect it 😊
    Licence to Kill. One of the best Bond films imo.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Same as the previous match-up for me; I love QOS, but LTK is top 2 for me so it has to go that one.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    thedove wrote: »
    Would you rather watch LTK OR QOS?

Both films feature Bond going rogue.

The funny thing is that Bond doesn’t actually go rogue in QoS and he’s not out for revenge, M just thinks he is those two things!

With these two neither are my favourite really, and it comes down to which I’m more in the mood for now- I’d probably go QoS.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Same as the previous match-up for me; I love QOS, but LTK is top 2 for me so it has to go that one.

And I will echo this statement!
    Licence tp Kill is a much better Bond movie. I can't see what's going on in QoS half the time, and the plot is all over the shop. It's a bit of a mess.
    And Dalton is a much better casting of James Bond to me.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited July 16 Posts: 24,053
    Dalton is the most overlooked Bond for me. I wouldn't say underrated, merely overlooked. I get the sense that plenty of fans really like his Bond. Evidently, I am one of them. But wider audiences seemed to barely give him the attention his Bond deserved. The whole thing fell flat after LTK. Such a shame. So much wanna-coulda-shoulda for me in this dossier.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    LTK - I prefer the stunts, locations (including fictional Isthmus) and we are treated with another Dalton sniper scene! Fun gadgets and scuba action too. It's Dalton's TB innit.

Some more comparisons between the two films: Strong Leiter presence; Bond reads a message on paper; escapes from a seedy dive bar; a fiery climax; a vehicle flies off a cliff; a lizard on a rock and some rocks on a lizard!
    He only made 2 Bond movies. It is easier to sell 4 Brosnan movies to television.
  • edited July 16 Posts: 3,744
    mtm wrote: »

The funny thing is that Bond doesn’t actually go rogue in QoS and he’s not out for revenge, M just thinks he is those two things!

They’re both films with different attitudes towards revenge as well. In LTK revenge is Bond’s goal. Even when he messes up the Hong Kong narcotics team operation they’re framed as antagonists. We get a rather vague subplot about stinger missiles where Pam says there’s more at stake than Bond’s personal vendetta, but that’s the extent to any sort of introspection.

In QOS, Bond is somewhat motivated by Vesper’s death (or at least the long term idea of tracking down Yussief is on his mind) but revenge really isn’t his main goal, and he’s simply doing his job. Camille’s certainly motivated by revenge though, and even fulfils it. But even then there’s a kind of emptiness to it - Camille effectively asks Bond whether killing the General matters, and Bond says he doesn’t think the dead care about vengeance. It’s telling that a scene later when he confronts Yussief he doesn’t kill him (as if he’s realised it wouldn’t make a difference anyway).

Anyway, out of the two films I’d say LTK is my favoured one, but QOS has its moments despite its flaws. I prefer how the latter handles revenge at any rate (though both do better than FYEO in this regard!)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 16 Posts: 16,000
    007HallY wrote: »

They’re both films with different attitudes towards revenge as well. In LTK revenge is Bond’s goal. Even when he messes up the Hong Kong narcotics team operation they’re framed as antagonists. We get a rather vague subplot about stinger missiles where Pam says there’s more at stake than Bond’s personal vendetta, but that’s the extent to any sort of introspection.

In QOS, Bond is somewhat motivated by Vesper’s death (or at least the long term idea of tracking down Yussief is on his mind) but revenge really isn’t his main goal, and he’s simply doing his job. Camille’s certainly motivated by revenge though, and even fulfils it. But even then there’s a kind of emptiness to it - Camille effectively asks Bond whether killing the General matters, and Bond says he doesn’t think the dead care about vengeance. It’s telling that a scene later when he confronts Yussief he doesn’t kill him (as if he’s realised it wouldn’t make a difference anyway).

Yes it has a good story and is trying to say something: it's a story about revenge, as you say, but Bond isn't the one looking for it.

I always think it's interesting that folks think Bond goes rogue in it, despite him literally telling us "I never left". I think the film does fudge it a bit: stuff like him stealing the photo of Yusef from M sticks in the audience's mind longer than the 'dead don't care about vengeance' stuff and muddles the message somewhat.

Yes it has a good story and is trying to say something: it's a story about revenge, as you say, but Bond isn't the one looking for it.

I always think it's interesting that folks think Bond goes rogue in it, despite him literally telling us "I never left". I think the film does fudge it a bit: stuff like him stealing the photo of Yusef from M sticks in the audience's mind longer than the 'dead don't care about vengeance' stuff and muddles the message somewhat.

I think it makes sense within the film. Again, Bond isn't 'blinded by inconsolable rage' as M puts it, but Vesper's death is very much on his mind. It wouldn't make sense that Bond go on a revenge spree for the actual mission. There's no single figure he can kill or track down apart from Yussief that would satisfy that goal, and the fact that he's a honey trap agent is simply a hunch Bond presumably has until Green confirms it by the end. But definitely tracking Yussief down is something I got the sense he was thinking about despite him saying to M he wouldn't. Perhaps more as a long term goal/something uncovering Quantum would eventually lead him to, but something he wanted to do nonetheless.

Camille is kind of a mirror image character of a path Bond could have gone down in that sense. I always got the sense it was an important moment for Bond seeing how empty she was after avenging her family. It's not exactly an upbeat epiphany, but as Bond says the dead don't care about vengeance, and it means he can move on.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes, good points. There is a really good story in there, as you say: better than LTK's really. I just think the execution lets it down in places.
    Yes, good points. There is a really good story in there, as you say: better than LTK's really. I just think the execution lets it down in places.

Agreed. Maybe a thing that could have been made clearer in QOS is Bond's hunch that Yussief is a honey trap agent. It may have hammered home that conflict Bond has about tracking him down, but it's there I guess.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    One thing I think is weird is that I get that Craig's Bond is the stoic silent loner type, but he allows M to think he's gone violently rogue without really arguing with her, not until their chat in the hotel corridor anyway. I suppose it's in character to some extent, but just doesn't seem very wise. And then there's all the stuff with Mathis which seems very opaque.
    Yes, he may have gotten M a bit more on his side by clarifying that he didn't actually shoot the Special Branch guy... but then again I guess he'd effectively thrown him off a roof and he knew it wasn't going to make much difference anyway.

The Mathis stuff I struggled a bit with in general when I first watched QOS. I think if anything the subplot in CR with Le Chiffre trying to frame Mathis is where the problems come in. Why Le Chiffre even does this is a bit of a mystery as presumably he's going to kill Bond after the torture anyway. If Bond had mistakenly presumed it was Mathis who betrayed him/Le Chiffre was perhaps a bit more vague about who betrayed him (ie. not naming Mathis specifically) it would have played out better. I actually presumed when I first watched it that Mathis was, all along, legitimately a Quantum agent who had been flung aside/was now helping Bond (the line 'is Mathis your code name' doesn't help. Apparently it's a joke about an Italian having a French name. Completely lost on me to be honest).

Otherwise I think it's just a case of Mathis repeatedly telling Bond not to get hung up on what happened with Vesper... admittedly it's all done with that opaque/dramatic dialogue as you said (it seems Mathis went a bit soft/sentimental in his final months, which is actually kind of interesting and a bit of a contrast to the character we saw in CR).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I guess you could say that Le Chiffre told Bond Mathis was on his side as part of a psychological effort to break Bond a bit more before the torture at a push, but yeah; that whole section of CR does fall apart if you look at it too closely. Quite why Bond even chases after Vesper after she mentions Mathis when she leaves their breakfast I don't know. And yeah, the code name joke is another one which just baffles more than it works. But otherwise he is a good presence in both films.
    I guess you could say that Le Chiffre told Bond Mathis was on his side as part of a psychological effort to break Bond a bit more before the torture at a push, but yeah; that whole section of CR does fall apart if you look at it too closely. Quite why Bond even chases after Vesper after she mentions Mathis when she leaves their breakfast I don't know. And yeah, the code name joke is another one which just baffles more than it works. But otherwise he is a good presence in both films.

Bond getting up to go after Vesper I guess is one of things that didn't quite translate well from the book. From what I remember Bond thinks it odd that Mathis would give Vesper a note. In his mind he'd just join them or talk to them in the morning. It kinda falls apart considering Vesper gets a text from him IIRC, and it's really not an out of character thing for anyone to do nowadays... and I guess we don't have any sort of window into Bond's thought process (which has presumably been affected by the numerous strong martinis he's been drinking anyway... and perhaps the fact that his heart stopped earlier that night. Probably best not to think about it too deeply though, haha).
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited July 17 Posts: 13,579
    I feel the same about those items as the first time I saw them on screen.
    • Your friend Mathis is my friend Mathis. Yes, psychological shakeup prior to the torture.
    • Vesper in the restaurant called away supposedly by Mathis. I see it exactly like the Fleming novel, Bond smells a rat. And at the time we don't know Vesper's status.
    • Is Mathis your code name, from QOS. To me that's the darkest humor between them: Mathis didn't use a cover when returning to his old South America station, and it was the death of him.

Dalton is my favorite Bond. QOS for me.

• Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    QOS all day.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou, but I now hear a new dog barkin'
    I'll pick QOS, because it's one of the few Bond movies that makes me discover new things everytime I watch it. And that's not meant to be a compliment, but a comment on the messy editing.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    That's a funny comment, @j_w_pepper. 😄 Because I sympathize. We almost have to pick QOS just to discover the entire film behind the half one we got. 😉
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 17 Posts: 16,000

Bond getting up to go after Vesper I guess is one of things that didn't quite translate well from the book. From what I remember Bond thinks it odd that Mathis would give Vesper a note. In his mind he'd just join them or talk to them in the morning. It kinda falls apart considering Vesper gets a text from him IIRC, and it's really not an out of character thing for anyone to do nowadays... and I guess we don't have any sort of window into Bond's thought process (which has presumably been affected by the numerous strong martinis he's been drinking anyway... and perhaps the fact that his heart stopped earlier that night. Probably best not to think about it too deeply though, haha).

Ha! Right, I guess that's the intention: I think it's directed wrong if it is though. Bond says "Mathis!" as if he's worked out he's a baddie, whereas if he was questioning why Mathis would send a text rather than join them you'd think he'd be a bit more "Mathis...??", if you see what I mean.
    It'd be interesting to see what the script says at that point.
    Is Mathis your code name, from QOS. To me that's the darkest humor between them: Mathis didn't use a cover when returning to his old South America station, and it was the death of him.

Yes, I think that's what it is too, but it's quite a hard joke to get. Plus I think it kind of distracts the audience: we didn't expect to find out it's not his real name so we're half-distracted by that- it feels like an important bit of information but tossed away as a gag.
    I feel the same about those items as the first time I saw them on screen.
    • Your friend Mathis is my friend Mathis. Yes, psychological shakeup prior to the torture.
    • Vesper in the restaurant called away supposedly by Mathis. I see it exactly like the Fleming novel, Bond smells a rat. And at the time we don't know Vesper's status.
    • Is Mathis your code name, from QOS. To me that's the darkest humor between them: Mathis didn't use a cover when returning to his old South America station, and it was the death of him.

Dalton is my favorite Bond. QOS for me.

Regarding point 1, I also understood that Le Chiffre was covering his back, should for whatever reason he had to keep Bond alive and/or release him, and/or in the unlikely event of Bond's escape. He was not someone who left anything to chance. Maybe he also was a bit of a compulsive liar: why not deceive Bond even if (probably) it was ultimately inconsequential?

Anyway, back om topic, with all its flaws I choose QOS. Because I prefer the Craig era overall and never liked the look and feel of LTK. Also, the water scheme, if not really developed all that well, is more original and interesting than fighting a drug lord.
  • edited July 17 Posts: 3,744

Ha! Right, I guess that's the intention: I think it's directed wrong if it is though. Bond says "Mathis!" as if he's worked out he's a baddie, whereas if he was questioning why Mathis would send a text rather than join them you'd think he'd be a bit more "Mathis...??", if you see what I mean.
    It'd be interesting to see what the script says at that point.

It's very vague as well in the script I just looked up. Here's the passage:
    As He waits, he starts to feel uneasy. He scans the club, looking at the other couples, then his eyes go to the exit.

Bond
    (To the Waiter, but to himself)
    Mathis...

Waiter
    ... I'm sorry?

He gets up. Strides through the candlelit room, a feeling of dread growing.

The shooting obviously omitted the waiter who Bond asks for another martini just before this/gives that confused response, as well as the others in the room (makes sense, they're things that could easily be cut as they serve no purpose, and the scene is more intimate by having them effectively alone). There's a bit more of Bond looking around here, whereas the actual scene just holds on Craig (again, makes sense. Less to shoot and Craig is a good enough actor to handle it). I think the idea in the script is that it's explained later anyway so it's purposely a bit vague in the moment.

I actually think the direction is better than the script in this case, and it effectively translates what's going on there with minor alterations (although this was a late December 2005 script so perhaps some of it was edited a bit later anyway which spurred some of those changes... I know they began shooting a few weeks later though).
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Very interesting discussion. I never thought about it before, I guess he is seen to go rogue in QOS but in LTK it's his call to go rogue. I always took it that he was bent on digging into things and getting closure and some revenge for Vesper. I still think the film has some elements of that. M turns off his Credit Card. M sends the goons to guard him in the elevator, M is the one trying to throw up the road blocks, but Bond stays focused on the mission at hand.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    He's technically rogue for about 60 seconds, from when he fights all the MI6 lads in the lift to when he meets M in the corridor, at which point she trusts him again.