Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• edited July 23 Posts: 3,744
    Zekidk wrote: »
    LucknFate wrote: »
    We all saw what fan meddling has done to Star Wars. I simply don't want a repeat of that with Bond,

The Bond fan base is older. Unlike Star Wars, you won't find many dedicated Bond fans below 30. I could be wrong though. Never saw a study or a survey about this. But it's certainly not like back in the day where every teenageboy went bananas over a new Bond premiere. The last couple of premieres I attended the crowd was 90% 30+.

I actually think Bond's fanbase is quite wide/varied all things considered. It's just one of those things that has a broad appeal. I don't think there's a lack of under 30s who like Bond (I certainly know many and am one) but simply the most 'dedicated' fans as you put it skew a bit older, which I think is just as understandable as those Star Wars fans being a bit younger.

From what I've noticed the franchise with an older fanbase (although it's worth saying I think it's a comparatively soft fan base compared to Bond and Star Wars) is Mission Impossible I believe. But like you I haven't read any studies on this and it's all anecdotal so...
    Unfazed and not giving up.
    peter wrote: »
    I looked at IMDB and Remote Control is in "preproduction" but Gerard Butler no longer appears.

Remote Control is a dead project.

The last time its production status was updated was February 25, 2020. Another project lost to COVID.

It may resurrect down the road, but for now this is a non-project. If Mi6 wrote that this was one of the films EoN is working on, perhaps they should try and do their research?

They have an agenda (they don't like her) and they'll write anything to push that.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    BMB007 wrote: »
    I looked at IMDB and Remote Control is in "preproduction" but Gerard Butler no longer appears.

Remote Control is a dead project.

The last time its production status was updated was February 25, 2020. Another project lost to COVID.

It may resurrect down the road, but for now this is a non-project. If Mi6 wrote that this was one of the films EoN is working on, perhaps they should try and do their research?

They have an agenda (they don't like her) and they'll write anything to push that.

That's kinda the sense I'm getting. Childish and ridiculous.
    It is a strange article, isn't it? Like, it says absolutely nothing anyway (and seemingly doesn't get all its facts correct). It's not reporting anything, neither is it framed as an opinion piece... weird.

It's got us talking about it I suppose...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It seems to be centred around that quote from Amitraj, and then builds a bit of a rant around that. Really it holds no more weight than a post from an entitled fan on this forum.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    mtm wrote: »
    It seems to be centred around that quote from Amitraj, and then builds a bit of a rant around that. Really it holds no more weight than a post from an entitled fan on this forum.

It did its job I suppose to get the angry “fans” once again slamming Broccoli, EoN and NTTD.

They certainly know their audience.
    It did its job I suppose to get the angry “fans” once again slamming Broccoli, EoN and NTTD.

This:
    Univex wrote: »
    if someone comes along just tonsay that I have no right to feel this way, then they know nothing of what it is to be a fan. This is the definition of being a fan, to yearn for something in the continuity of itself.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited July 23 Posts: 1,602
    Nobody is complaining about the forum wanting a new movie. I think I'm complaining that MI6, which in a way represents me on a more public footing with Eon, is acting unprofessional about something they seem relatively uninformed about. That's the issue for me. It's gone beyond fans on a forum to making (us) look ungrateful and impatient. The article could have been done better and would have better suited our interests if it did.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited July 23 Posts: 9,185

This:
    if someone comes along just tonsay that I have no right to feel this way, then they know nothing of what it is to be a fan. This is the definition of being a fan, to yearn for something in the continuity of itself.

I wasn’t talking about you, nor @Univex , so….

Correction, and edit: I wasn’t talking about @Univex , but tell me, @Zekidk , how’d you know that Barbara has no respect for her father’s legacy? Because you don’t. You’re sour over the fact you don’t have a new movie. And that’s fine, but proclaiming this pause is disrespectful to Cubby is at best hyperbole. If Cubby were alive today, do you really think he thinks his daughter is disrespecting him as she pauses between eras?

Do you?
    LucknFate wrote: »
    Nobody is complaining about the forum wanting a new movie. I think I'm complaining that MI6, which in a way represents me on a more public footing with Eon, is acting unprofessional about something they seem relatively uninformed about. That's the issue for me. It's gone beyond fans on a forum to making (us) look ungrateful and impatient. The article could have been done better and would have better suited our interests if it did.

Is Barbara paying us or something? Where is my share?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    You’re right, @LucknFate , no one is complaining about others wanting a new film. And I agree, the article was putrid, and silly. And feeds the anger of the fans who can’t tolerate that they haven’t yet received what they want.

But yes, no one is complaining that we all want a new film.

Some people can’t spot the difference.
  • edited July 23 Posts: 3,249
    You’re sour over the fact you don’t have a new movie. And that’s fine, but proclaiming this pause is disrespectful to Cubby is at best hyperbole. If Cubby were alive today, do you really think he thinks his daughter is disrespecting him as she pauses between eras?

Do you?

If taken at face value... that her "passion" lies somewhere else than preparing a new Bond movie, then it's maybe the time to pass the torch to someone else to get the ball rolling. As a fan I am not asking much, I don't expect shooting to begin anytime soon, but in three years they have given us absolutely nothing, except that RTAM show to wet our appetites.

We know that it will take 2-3 years from beginning of script to worldwide release (unless there's a pandemic). So at best we are looking at 2026-27 if they begin soon, eight years after NTTD wrapped shooting. And this time there's no legal battles to explain the hiatus like in the early 90's. Just other priorities. Well, Cubby only had one!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    You’re sour over the fact you don’t have a new movie. And that’s fine, but proclaiming this pause is disrespectful to Cubby is at best hyperbole. If Cubby were alive today, do you really think he thinks his daughter is disrespecting him as she pauses between eras?

Do you?

If taken at face value... that her "passion" lies somewhere else than preparing a new Bond movie, then it's maybe the time to pass the torch to someone else to get the ball rolling. As a fan I am not asking much, I don't expect shooting to begin anytime soon, but in three years they have given us absolutely nothing, except that RTAM show to wet our appetites.

We know that it will take 2-3 years from beginning of script to worldwide release (unless there's a pandemic). So at best we are looking at 2026-27 if they begin soon, eight years after NTTD wrapped shooting. And this time there's no legal battles to explain the hiatus like in the early 90's. Just other priorities. Well, Cubby only had one!

You didn't answer my question.

If Cubby were alive today, and this pause was in effect, for reasons we are not privy to, would he think his daughter was disrespecting his legacy?

And if he were alive, would Cubby begrudge his daughter for wanting to make other films? After all, she is a film producer @Zekidk
  • DaltonforyouDaltonforyou The Daltonator
    edited July 23 Posts: 496
    I doubt Barbara is making any film with Armitraj, he seems like the type to want to announce to the world who he's with.

(His brother posts photos with any celebrity he comes across.)

I think she'll make Othello and a play and then we'll probably have a new Bond film before the decade is over. When that is, I don't know.
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Being chauffeured by Tibbett
    I always cringe when I read comments about BB “disrespecting her father’s legacy.” She IS Cubby’s legacy.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 23 Posts: 16,000
    I always cringe when I read comments about BB “disrespecting her father’s legacy.” She IS Cubby’s legacy.

Indeed. And she's been making incredibly successful Bond films for 30 years and putting her father's name on them: not sure what else she needs to prove regarding her attitude to him and his legacy.

Do you?

If Cubby were alive today, and this pause was in effect, for reasons we are not privy to, would he think his daughter was disrespecting his legacy?

And if he were alive, would Cubby begrudge his daughter for wanting to make other films? After all, she is a film producer @Zekidk

This is what happens when there are no news in years: speculation. But luckily that's what we can do in this forum. Speculate. So yes, I do believe that Broccoli wouldn't have wanted a 6-10 year hiatus. That doing Bond should be number one priority for whoever is in charge. And I do believe that he would ask his daughter if she still felt passionate about doing Bond movies, because the further away we get from NTTD, the more everyone gets convinced that Bond is indeed dead. But begrudge his daughter? No.
  • peterpeter Toronto

Do you?

This is what happens when there are no news in years: speculation. But luckily that's what we can do in this forum. Speculate. So yes, I do believe that Broccoli wouldn't have wanted a 6-10 year hiatus. That doing Bond should be number one priority for whoever is in charge. And I do believe that he would ask his daughter if she still felt passionate about doing Bond movies, because the further away we get from NTTD, the more everyone gets convinced that Bond is indeed dead. But begrudge his daughter? No.

@Zekidk , I'll go a step further: not only is Barbara Broccoli respecting her father's legacy (as @George_Kaplan eloquently put it above: she IS his legacy), but I'm gonna make a wild guess here: he wouldn't question what she's doing and he'd be damned proud of her work as Bond's gatekeeper, head creative, theatre and film producer.

For you to state that she's disrespecting Cubby's legacy is just a fan who's ticked off that no new film is on the way.

And you have every right to be disappointed, but, also, to reference George above: it's cringey to say her decisions are somehow disrespecting her father's legacy.
  • edited July 23 Posts: 6,702

This:

I wasn’t talking about you, nor @Univex , so….

Correction, and edit: I wasn’t talking about @Univex , but tell me, @Zekidk , how’d you know that Barbara has no respect for her father’s legacy? Because you don’t. You’re sour over the fact you don’t have a new movie. And that’s fine, but proclaiming this pause is disrespectful to Cubby is at best hyperbole. If Cubby were alive today, do you really think he thinks his daughter is disrespecting him as she pauses between eras?

Do you?

Oh, for Pete’s sake, pun intended ;)

I wasn’t complaining about BB or MGW! Are you kidding me? I love those guys like family. I’m complaining about their total silence, which is fine, but annoying to a fan. I mean, what’s wrong with that? And how does that make me an entitled fan, as someone else put it. Again, I love them. One of my biggest wishes would be to work with them. @peter knows this, and he knows the last thing I want is this franchise in other hands. EON supporter all the way. And THAT is why their sillence worries me.

Do I need to be clearer on this?
    And you have every right to be disappointed, but, also, to reference George above: it's cringey to say her decisions are somehow disrespecting her father's legacy.

Cubby said the following: I honestly feel a responsibility toward all the Bond fans out there. I know they look forward to these pictures, and so I'm going to go on delivering them as long as I can.

I grew up with that legacy.

Where do you see the same responsibility toward Bond fans in BB? Two years ago, she said that it would take some two years for the production to slowly begin. That's now. In her latest interviews some months ago she revealed that the B26 pre-production is still "years away" though.

• Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia

Cubby said the following: I honestly feel a responsibility toward all the Bond fans out there. I know they look forward to these pictures, and so I'm going to go on delivering them as long as I can.

Where do you see the same responsibility toward Bond fans in BB? Two years ago, she said that it would take some two years for the production to slowly begin. That's now. In her latest interviews some months ago she revealed that the B26 pre-production is still "years away" though.

For what it's worth, the last update I heard from a source was that "they are waiting for 'calmer waters'" [at the box office] and "no significant movement until '26/'27".

I think like many in the industry they will be watching to see how Deadpool & Wolverine performs at the box office.

I think there's a case to be made that in order to keep delivering these films into the future they have to wait a bit. As has been said, the film industry isn't in the best place currently, some big franchises have had striking failures, we've had the writers and actors strikes last year, and there may well be a lot of behind the scenes stuff with Amazon that we're not privy to.
    @Red_Snow

Of all the excuses I have heard about postponing, having a Deadpool-movie define the future of the franchise must be one of the more ludicrous.
    Well, he didn't claim that was why they were postponing/that it would decide the future of the franchise to be fair... just that they might be keeping an eye on it.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited July 23 Posts: 9,185

I’m not sure what your point is.

I said that I don’t think Barbara Broccoli is disrespectful of her father’s legacy, and going a step further, I think he wouldn’t question why she’s pausing, and, shock among shocks, I believe a man like Cubby would be proud of his daughter as the gatekeeper to his legacy, and he’d be proud of her as its head creative, theatre and film producer.

So why’d you bring up a statement Cubby made decades ago? What does this have to do with the statement you made? That Barbra Broccoli was disrespecting her father’s legacy?

Barbara Broccoli has agency over her life and doesn’t need to repeat what her father did or said, you do realize that? She’s her own person, has put her father’s legacy in a very good place. As @mtm rightly said, his name comes front and center in all of the Bond films.

There’s no disrespect of the man’s legacy. Not by a long shot.

But in the end, you don’t know what’s happening behind the scenes and you’re not speculating; you literally said, based off of a poorly researched “article”, that Broccoli was disrespecting her father’s legacy.

Listen, you’re ticked off that there’s no film around the corner. I think you know if Cubby were alive today, your claim about his daughter would insult him. I think he’d also be proud that his daughter is able to stretch her wings and produce other films that interest her.

I think you know that.

So, let’s put this to bed on the one fact we can lay claim to: everyone here wants a new Bond film (that I think will be released in Oct/Nov of 2027, 😂 ).
    Let’s leave ad hominem attacks on the sidelines and express our arguments without stooping to silly little character assassinations (based on nothing but anger).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    007HallY wrote: »

I think there's a case to be made that in order to keep delivering these films into the future they have to wait a bit. As has been said, the film industry isn't in the best place currently, some big franchises have had striking failures, we've had the writers and actors strikes last year, and there may well be a lot of behind the scenes stuff with Amazon that we're not privy to.

Yeah it seems very possible there are shenanigans with Amazon/MGM to me too, and if there are they're not going to speak about those in public.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    Twisters is actually the summer blockbuster that's likely a huge sigh of relief for Eon, to be honest. Classic Hollywood formula propping up a brand-new star and making a ton of money opening night. That's the promise they want for themselves. Top Gun: Maverick is another they likely will look at closely, and The Batman. They probably are not taking notes from Disney/Marvel at this very moment, if I had to guess.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    @Red_Snow

Of all the excuses I have heard about postponing, having a Deadpool-movie define the future of the franchise must be one of the more ludicrous.

I absolutely did not say that Deadpool will define the future of the franchise. I said that the industry wide will be watching to see how the film performs as a marker of where the box office is at. And as @LucknFate quite rightly pointed out, Twisters performance is very closely being watched - thus over its over estimates domestically and a little under internationally.
    The last three Bond movies have been among the top five highest grossing movies of the year they were released. And with a new Bond and a Goldeneye-level peak of interest, there's no way that B26 will tank, unless they really screw up the movie, which I doubt. Dune II has made more than 700m this year, so I don't buy this industry-is-struggling narrative.