Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    edited July 23 Posts: 9,185
    First of all, I am a fan. Just because there are certain aspects I do not like, it doesn't mean that I don't like the overall experience I get from watching a new Bond movie.

And me being naive? I have never argued that members on this forum have the capacity to make a Bond-movie. So

Dude, I never said any of this! What’re you talking about?!!

EDIT: I misread what you wrote here, and for that I apologize @Zekidk ; I thought you were saying I had said posters here could make a Bond film.
    But yes, I do think you’re naive, just by the nature of this ever-de-evolving “discussion”. My point below about not knowing anything about screenwriting and the success of Purvis and Wade (whether you like them or not is a moot point), shows how superficial your grasp is. Just be a fan, but don’t make sweeping statements about legacies and writing talent, if you don’t want a dummy like me to poke holes in your lack of understanding…

And P and W have a film they’re shooting with Nicolas Refn in September.They have about six scripts that have been optioned and are in development as we speak.

So, not only are you putting words in my mouth, but it’s clear you make statements off the top of your head, so this “discussion” has come to an end. I tried to stay on point with your claim about disrespecting Cubby’s legacy, but you’re all over the map. And if you wanted to discuss screenwriting, I’ll be happy to in the PMs. But otherwise, this conversation is officially dead.
    I do sympathise Peter.
    Having to engage with all these naïve, stupid and confused people must be exhausting for you. They're everywhere, aren't they?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I do sympathise Peter.
    Having to engage with all these naïve, stupid and confused people must be exhausting for you. They're everywhere, aren't they?

Oh thanks @ColonelAdamski . I so enjoy you chiming in! You’re such a pleasant and friendly fellow. And the life of the party.

I’ve invited you to meet with me face to face while I’m in the UK, but you never answered! I wonder why? Hiding behind screens is so much easier, isn’t it?

Anyways, my invitation still stands!
  • BennyBenny Shaken not stirredAdministrator, Moderator
    peter wrote: »
    I do sympathise Peter.

Oh thanks @ColonelAdamski . I so enjoy you chiming in! You’re such a pleasant and friendly fellow. And the life of the party.

I’ve invited you to meet with me face to face while I’m in the UK, but you never answered! I wonder why? Hiding behind screens is so much easier, isn’t it?

@peter and anyone else who thinks it's okay to do so, don't bait other members.
    It's only going to lead to ongoing arguments and more pointless posts that serve no purpose.
    Thank you
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Benny wrote: »
    I do sympathise Peter.

@peter and anyone else who thinks it's okay to do so, don't bait other members.
    It's only going to lead to ongoing arguments and more pointless posts that serve no purpose.
    Thank you

I actually did offer that in a PM as an olive branch, @Benny . Colonel seems to have a great dislike for me, and I thought I’d offer a drink and a chat while we are there, and put water under the bridge. He didn’t respond, but he’s free to continue taking his shots, which are fine.

However, I heed the warning. Won’t happen again.

Thank you.
  • edited July 23 Posts: 1,062

Peter, I don't know you. We haven't even got into proper discussions on here. I can't imagine why you'd think I'd even consider traveling to London to meet you.
    Your private message came across a bit creepy to be honest. I'm sure that wasn't your intention, but I didn't reply because I thought it was all a bit odd. I think it's best if you ignore my posts here.
    Please.

• peterpeter Toronto
    @ColonelAdamski

A creepy PM after you antagonized me, indeed!

So I reached out and I apologized if I insulted you and asked, if you were around, that I’d be setting up a meet and greet with Mi6 posters and you were invited.

Creepy, indeed!
    Please don't ever 'reach out' to me again.

Perhaps this thread can go back on topic now? PLEASE!
  • DaltonforyouDaltonforyou The Daltonator
    edited July 23 Posts: 496
    Does anybody here think we'll know the director by 2025?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Does anybody here think we'll know the director by 2025?

At this point I’ve adopted the attitude of, when it happens, it happens; it’s not apathy, just a pragmatic view. Bond is a fictional character that I enjoy primarily in films; there is too much adventure, fun and enjoyment to get too invested in when the next James Bond film is going to happen.

Now, with that said, as a fan, yes I wish they would get to it.
    @peter

I don't mind you (or anyone else) calling me different things, but you should really try practicing what you preach.
    Let’s leave ad hominem attacks on the sidelines

Have a nice day.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited July 24 Posts: 8,313
    Every day we don't hear anything Bond 26 related only increases the likelihood it will be timed to take advantage of the 2028 Euros happening in the UK.

If EON are working on other projects at the moment, 4 years doesn't sound too ridiculous.
  • edited July 24 Posts: 3,321
    My my, we are a bit short on brotherly love around here.

Just my pennysworth on the state of the industry, BO returns, etc. Personally, I think if Bond 26 was released within the next year, with Nolan as director, I think the BO takings would be HUGE! I'm talking Oppenheimer/Maverick scale. It would blow everything else away, and would be the major hit of the year.

Obviously this ain't going to happen as there is no production on Bond 26, but hypothetically, for all those who think Bond wouldn't fare well at the BO due to the state of the industry now, I think you are wrong.

My eyes are already on the new Brad Pitt film F1 for next year, which will be massive! Same producer and director as Maverick, there is no way on earth this film will not perform well. Top Gun on wheels, Days of Thunder rebooted.

There is still life in the film industry at the BO, just that the blockbusters are few and far between now.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I'm not so sure the F1 movie will be a success. Top Gun was a very nostalgic movie for a lot of people. The soundtrack, the scenes of planes fuelling up, the beach scenes, the cockpit action, the corny lines, the emotion, it had a special resonance with people. I don't think you can simply do the same thing with another vehicle and have it work as well, and how many average people care about F1? It doesn't capture the imagination like jet fighter pilot, does it? :-?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think Drive To Survive has made F1 really big: at the moment it seems impossible to predict which movies will do well, so who knows.
  • BennyBenny Shaken not stirredAdministrator, Moderator
    You forget it’s an F1 movie starring Brad Pitt @Mendes4Lyfe
    I think his star power will give it better momentum. However I do agree it’s not a subject everyone will be interested in.
    I think it has potential to be a big hit though. The recent trailer has me intrigued.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited July 24 Posts: 3,675
    Me, I'm just going to wait, just call me if the new Bond film is out 😅 (mention my username rather).

Edit: Just came from a stressful argument in Reddit with people who were narrow minded to understand a statement (no, it's a different sub this time, too serious to take a personal observation), although still having fun with circlejerks, I thought it stops there, but there's another one in here 😁
    I'm not so sure the F1 movie will be a success. Top Gun was a very nostalgic movie for a lot of people. The soundtrack, the scenes of planes fuelling up, the beach scenes, the cockpit action, the corny lines, the emotion, it had a special resonance with people. I don't think you can simply do the same thing with another vehicle and have it work as well, and how many average people care about F1? It doesn't capture the imagination like jet fighter pilot, does it? :-?

It reminded me of the Steve McQueen's movie (Le Mans) and that's not a good thing.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I just hope when this hiatus is over they start releasing Bond films more consistently. Waiting 5-6 years for a Bond film can't become the norm surely. It doesn't matter how young Bond #7 I'd their tenure will only be a handful of films

I do wonder if EON are on good terms with Amazon? Maybe behind the scenes creative and distribution disagreements are holding up Bond 26?
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited July 24 Posts: 1,884
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    I just hope when this hiatus is over they start releasing Bond films more consistently. Waiting 5-6 years for a Bond film can't become the norm surely. It doesn't matter how young Bond #7 I'd their tenure will only be a handful of films

I do wonder if EON are on good terms with Amazon? Maybe behind the scenes creative and distribution disagreements are holding up Bond 26?

With Craig's Bond, they went really deep with the character, with varying degrees of success, but still with a great deal of success accompanying the era. So I think the delay might be because they might want to continue in Craig's Bond path for Bond 7, because they might be looking for an actor to successfully portray that style. I would like a different kind of Bond for Bond 7, but since we're talking about causes of delay, that could well be one of them.
    I think they’ll definitely be thinking about what they want from Bond 7, but a part of it comes from the actor’s individual take, and I don’t think they’re waiting for actors or anything.

I suspect aspects of Craig’s Bond/his films are here to stay, but that’s to be expected. Otherwise the past tells us that the next actor will play the character in their own way.
  • edited July 24 Posts: 1,132
    I don't think they'll hire Daniel Craig 2.0. If the guy is physically different that will change a lot.

For example, I'm sure Theo James can play a gritty Bond, but the vibes would be completely different.
    If they're giving fans a definitive version of Wolverine, I want to do the same for Bond
  • edited July 24 Posts: 3,744
    I don't think they'll hire Daniel Craig 2.0. If the guy is physically different that will change a lot.

For example, I'm sure Theo James can play a gritty Bond, but the vibes would be completely different.

Agreed. I don’t think you can have a Craig 2.0 anyway. Just like you can’t have a Connery or Moore 2.0.

The closest I can imagine to this is EON might be more willing to widen their horizons in terms of potential candidates after Craig. Not to say Craig was radically different (beyond very superficial details anyway - the hair colour, his height being a tad below 6 foot, his relative cragginess compared to Brosnan etc) but compared to the earlier days of Bond they might be more willing to test actors who don’t have some of those superficial Bondian qualities but could potentially play a great Bond.
    If they're giving fans a definitive version of Wolverine, I want to do the same for Bond

I find it quite funny how at the time Jackman was seemingly an out of the box choice for Wolverine (he was relatively unknown, didn’t have the height/build of the comic character etc). It’s difficult for me imagining anyone else playing that part.

I think as long as actors are being picked to play Bond, you can’t have a definitive version. Often you get something more interesting anyway. Even if we got to a point where we used AI to model a photorealistic definitive Bond it’d likely disappoint a chunk of people.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Same. The scar on the cheek, the three gold rings, the Beretta, the green Bentley.
  • meshypushymeshypushy Ireland
    I would definitely prefer to see some movement on the next movie but more broadly, my preference would be for breathing room between better, more thought out movies than a return to the old days of lashing out a new Bond every two years, with varying degrees of success.
    On that basis, if the next movie sucks, I will be extremely pissed off!
    QBranch wrote: »
    Same. The scar on the cheek, the three gold rings, the Beretta, the green Bentley.

Is that period era Bond? I want a fast-action marial arts Bond, throwing knives and whatnot. Modern military would use a Walther or Glock but the Bentley is a great idea. There is a Bentley race car!
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.

Is that period era Bond? I want a fast-action marial arts Bond, throwing knives and whatnot. Modern military would use a Walther or Glock but the Bentley is a great idea. There is a Bentley race car!
    It's not important to me that Bond's world be too grounded in our own reality. He can use a Beretta (he handled one as recently as NTTD) and smoke. He can drive a dark green Bentley from the 1990s when the designs were more subtle.

It's not important to me that Bond's world be too grounded in our own reality. He can use a Beretta (he handled one as recently as NTTD) and smoke. He can drive a dark green Bentley from the 1990s when the designs were more subtle.

That's cool, be kind of retro. I'd like a different car too, like the F-Type Jaguar or a McLaren. Throw in the classic Bentley and he's got some cool cars to drive.

Green ? I recall Fleming describing it as Battleship Grey. At any rate - do you mean one of the cars from the years Fleming stated ? If so, and if story not told in Period, then one of those would cost a fortune now and be rarer and a more appreciated antique...and less capable a driver. Perhaps update the concept to a more recent Bentley ? Still expensive and it seeems only a Continental GT would be a car with the appropriate character. I don't know what an early one would cost. Of course - and I think this happened for the Books-Bond - he could have gotten one at a discount were it in an accident, blown engine, etc., even with costs of repairs.