The Man from U.N.C.L.E.: original series & films

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Well, this is cool ... probably been posted before, surely. But I found it today, so here you go. It's early days - 1963 - Robert Vaughn telling viewers what the show is about.
    No, Robert in the tv series played him with a warm confidence, certain of his charm with women, and sharp. I've been watching episodes of the tv show for the past year.

Agreed. The casting in the original series of Solo and Illya was a lightning in a bottle experience. The old series, which at one time involved Ian Fleming, is a worth see.
    My favorite UNCLE movie is The Spy With My Face. (Sorry if this has been discussed recently; I'm returning after about a 6 month absence). @delfloria which is your favorite of the actual old movies they made in the '60s? :)
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    The revival of this thread is timely. I recently bought Season 1 of The Man from UNCLE second hand on DVD. I've been watching a few of the early episodes. I was glad to see Robert Culp (one of my favourite actors) turn up as a pirate captain in The Shark Affair. It's my favourite episode of the ones I've seen so far. I used to love watching repeats of the episodes as a child back in the mid-1990s though I think they were the later colour episodes. It's great to be able to see some of it again and looking forward to what other guest stars will turn up.
    I had not watched the series since I was a kid, @Dragonpol and I've loved every minute of it, even the sillier episodes. I've finished watching them all, plus the movies (which at the time I never knew about them!). It's a great series. Love watching Illya develop throughout it, too.
    I had not watched the series since I was a kid, @Dragonpol and I've loved every minute of it, even the sillier episodes. I've finished watching them all, plus the movies (which at the time I never knew about them!). It's a great series. Love watching Illya develop throughout it, too.

That's great, @4EverBonded. In the mid-1990s here in the UK there was a kind of 1960s revival with repeats of The Man From UNCLE, The Saint, The Avengers and The Champions on TV. Added to my deep interest in James Bond it was a good time to be around. I'm looking forward to seeing more of Season 1 of UNCLE. I have a DVD of the 1960s UNCLE films so I'll have to watch those some time too.
    My favorite episode in season 1 is probably The Bow Wow Affair. ;)

Thanks. I'll have to look out for that one! I've only seen two episodes so far so I'm sure there are still plenty of good ones to come. :)
    Oh yes, so many! Vast majority are quite entertaining.
    Oh yes, so many! Vast majority are quite entertaining.

I'm intrigued by The Bow Wow Affair. I think I'll have to watch that one next. :)
    It's barking right up my alley. ;) Not a typical episode, though; it's ... different. Features Leo G. Carroll in a unique way too.
    It's barking right up my alley. ;) Not a typical episode, though; it's ... different. Features Leo G. Carroll in a unique way too.

It sounds intriguing. You've certainly sold it to me. I'll be watching it next. :)
    Looking forward to your comments on it, @Dragonpol. :-bd

Somebody is an Illya fan. My favorite movie is "To Trap a Spy". Not much Illya but a well told story and cinematography. One that holds up as a movie in it's own right. Every episode has something to offer though 1st season is just a little more special.
    edited August 7 Posts: 12,480
    How'd you guess, @delfloria ? I also like Leo in this one; it gave him another role to play and he seemed to have fun with it. This episode has such a lovely ending, especially the way Illya explains Mr. Waverly. :)
    I like To Trap A Spy as 2nd best. I do enjoy Robt V very much, too. I think the interplay between the two leads is the most enjoyable part of the show. I just like it when Illya gets a bit more to do, too.
    I also really like the movie The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming ... I remember as a really young girl being partial to that Russian, too (also with blonde hair). ;)
    It was easy. To say the least. YEs, does have a lot of fun with the Lester Baldwin character. The chemistry between RV and DM was magic.
    edited August 7 Posts: 18,185
    So I watched "The Bow-Wow Affair" tonight. It was another good one. Thriller stories with dogs are usually good. Parts of it reminded me of the later Columbo episode "How To Dial A Murder" which also involved Dobermans as killer dogs. It was nice to see Illya out on his own in this one for a change. The bit where the "blind man" kidnaps the woman was a nice little Bondian moment. Also nice to see Leo in a dual role, that was fun. All in all it was a very enjoyable episode. Thanks again for the recommendation, @4EverBonded! :)
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Ok, you people have me interested, but where can i find all these episodes? Not sure they sell dvd's with old series in my country .
    Ok, you people have me interested, but where can i find all these episodes? Not sure they sell dvd's with old series in my country .

I got mine in a charity shop here but you should be able to get the series on Amazon or eBay.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Dragonpol wrote: »

I got mine in a charity shop here but you should be able to get the series on Amazon or eBay.

Hmm. Will look around. Staying away from Amazon. Always end up becoming 'a member' somehow.

Hmm. Will look around. Staying away from Amazon. Always end up becoming 'a member' somehow.

eBay should have them. I know things like this are sometimes harder to source in continental Europe.

They stream on Amazon Prime and are available as a DVD set. The most recent DVD box set release was about 6 months ago. And remember Ian Fleming was involved in the creation of the show and came up with the name Napoleon Solo. Makes him Ian's other spy creation.
    Well, this is cool ... probably been posted before, surely. But I found it today, so here you go. It's early days - 1963 - Robert Vaughn telling viewers what the show is about.

Thanks for posting this. It's always been a cool little intro to the tongue and cheek tone of the series.
    Glad you enjoyed it, @Dragonpol! Definitely one of my very favorite episodes. I thought the ending was especially nice regarding Mr. Waverly ("somewhere a memory is stirring ..."). Plus, you know, Illya in it so much and his chemistry being quite satisfactory with the lovely leading lady.
    I got the recently re-released box set some months ago, and like @Dragonpol I'm also working my way through season one. Not sure if I have a standout favourite so far, as there are several great ones here. The Dove Affair is certainly up there – and The Vulcan Affair, of course.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I got the recently re-released box set some months ago, and like @Dragonpol I'm also working my way through season one. Not sure if I have a standout favourite so far, as there are several great ones here. The Dove Affair is certainly up there – and The Vulcan Affair, of course.

Spock?
    chrisisall wrote: »

Spock?

Haha, that would make for quite the coincidence, wouldn't it! It does not feature Leonard Nimoy, but it does feature Fritz Weaver as a character named Andrew Vulcan. There might be some Star Trek connections for all I know; I'm not too familiar with that show and franchise.
    edited August 11 Posts: 18,185

Funnily enough The Love Affair was the episode I chose to watch next last night as I noticed that it guest starred future Columbo guest star Eddie Albert. He was great in it as the revivalist villain Father Love. It was the religious cult mixed with the spy story such as we'd later see in Bond with John Gardner's Scorpius and no doubt countless other thriller stories. Of course the Love Crusade was a front for the dreaded THRUSH. The story did remind me slightly of the earlier episode The Shark Affair as both deal with collecting experts in various fields together as part of their plots. This one felt like a mini Bond adventure right down to the ending. I think this is my favourite episode I've seen so far. Recommended viewing.
  • edited August 11 Posts: 17,662

Funnily enough The Dove Affair was the episode I chose to watch next last night as I noticed that it guest starred future Columbo guest star Eddie Albert. He was great in it as the revivalist villain Father Love. It was the religious cult mixed with the spy story such as we'd later see in Bond with John Gardner's Scorpius and no doubt countless other thriller stories. Of course the Love Crusade was a front for the dreaded THRUSH. The story did remind me slightly of the earlier episode The Shark Affair as both deal with collecting experts in various fields together as part of their plots. This one felt like a mini Bond adventure right down to the ending. I think this is my favourite episode I've seen so far. Recommended viewing.

You mean The Love Affair, surely? I haven't seen that one yet myself. The Dove Affair, which I now see is so similarly titled as you can get, is the episode featuring (also future Columbo guest star to be) Ricardo Montalban.

Looking especially forward to watching The Love Affair now that you've mentioned it. It's next up on my season 1 viewing, since I watched The Never-Never Affair earlier today.
    edited August 11 Posts: 18,185

Funnily enough The Dove Affair was the episode I chose to watch next last night as I noticed that it guest starred future Columbo guest star Eddie Albert. He was great in it as the revivalist villain Father Love. It was the religious cult mixed with the spy story such as we'd later see in Bond with John Gardner's Scorpius and no doubt countless other thriller stories. Of course the Love Crusade was a front for the dreaded THRUSH. The story did remind me slightly of the earlier episode The Shark Affair as both deal with collecting experts in various fields together as part of their plots. This one felt like a mini Bond adventure right down to the ending. I think this is my favourite episode I've seen so far. Recommended viewing.

You mean The Love Affair, surely? I haven't seen that one yet myself. The Dove Affair, which I now see is so similarly titled as you can get, is the episode featuring (also future Columbo guest star to be) Ricardo Montalban.

Looking especially forward to watching The Love Affair now that you've mentioned it. It's next up on my season 1 viewing, since I watched The Never-Never Affair earlier today.

Yes, sorry, my brain misread what you wrote as The Love Affair! That can sometimes happen, your eye replaces the initial letter and you read what you want to read rather than what is actually written. You're right that the titles are very similar, hence my confusion in mixing them up! The Love Affair is quite an ironic title too as it still works as an expression outside of the usual "Affair" suffix structure of the UNCLE episode titles.

Last night I was looking through the start of each episode to see who the main guest stars were. There were a few I noticed featuring future Columbo guest stars such as Anne Francis and Albert Paulsen. Interestingly, future Columbo guest star William Shatner also appears in an episode that also features future Star Trek co-star Leonard Nimoy. Of course Nimoy also later guest starred in Columbo as well. I noticed the one guest starring Ricardo Montalban so I'll have to watch that one next I think. I should really be watching them in order and I think I will return to that after this.