Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

talos7 wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I don't think Aidan Turner will even be considered at this point.

Then they'd be fools, per the photos et al. If crybaby high pitched ATJ is considered, then AT should be way above that, interest wise.

To be suitable for a role, an actor has to be more than a few good photos. Be that as it may, I think Turner will not even be considered. If he has ever been, we'd knew at this point.

Ludicrous lol. I'll leave it at that.

Ludicrous to think you need more to be Bond than look good on pictures? Because it seems to be your argument.

In the case of A. Turner I think it’s a bit dismissive to imply that his only qualification is that he takes a good photo. He may not be an Oscar caliber actor but he has more than enough ability to play Bond.

Now, do I think he should be cast? I have no Idea; that’s what screentests are for, and I definitely think he rates one.

That's not what I'm saying though. Or implying. I'm saying bringing the photos as an argument in favour of one actor to play Bond is non sequitur. A lot of actors look good and look good in a tux. It's like bringing up the Clive Owen BMW advert: it's pretty pointless.
    Can't wait to get a tux, or a magician's outfit. I'm undecided.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

Then they'd be fools, per the photos et al. If crybaby high pitched ATJ is considered, then AT should be way above that, interest wise.

To be suitable for a role, an actor has to be more than a few good photos. Be that as it may, I think Turner will not even be considered. If he has ever been, we'd knew at this point.

Ludicrous to think you need more to be Bond than look good on pictures? Because it seems to be your argument.

In the case of A. Turner I think it’s a bit dismissive to imply that his only qualification is that he takes a good photo. He may not be an Oscar caliber actor but he has more than enough ability to play Bond.

Now, do I think he should be cast? I have no Idea; that’s what screentests are for, and I definitely think he rates one.

That's not what I'm saying though. Or implying. I'm saying bringing the photos as an argument in favour of one actor to play Bond is non sequitur. A lot of actors look good and look good in a tux. It's like bringing up the Clive Owen BMW advert: it's pretty pointless.

Funny that you bring up the BMW spots; the amount of talent behind the early ones done with Owen was insane. This was my favorite; the chase sequences put what was done for QoS to shame. I also think there was a window of time where Owen could have been an interesting Bond.

• edited October 17 Posts: 4,004
    Owen’s another one who never really made it quite as big as his Bond hype would suggest unfortunately. I think he’s another actor better on television rather than one with the charisma to excel on film (although I like him in Children of Men. Never thought he was a big screen presence otherwise).

Funny that you bring up the BMW spots; the amount of talent behind the early ones done with Owen was insane. This was my favorite; the chase sequences put what was done for QoS to shame. I also think there was a window of time where Owen could have been an interesting Bond.

Personally I never saw Clive Owen as Bond, regardless of the BMW adverts. They look good, but that's it.
    007HallY wrote: »
    Owen’s another one who never really made it quite as big as his Bond hype would suggest unfortunately. I think he’s another actor better on television rather than one with the charisma to excel on film (although I like him in Children of Men. Never thought he was a big screen presence otherwise).

I think Owen plays better the British everyman than any larger than life hero. Like you I think he lacks presence.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    His Sam Spade was brutal.

He did not improve as an actor.
    In hindsight the tux can wait. In CR, it was at one and a half hours mark when Craig donned his. I think it'd be cooler to have that payoff even later in the film.
    peter wrote: »
    His Sam Spade was brutal.

He did not improve as an actor.

I've heard by all accounts that the Sam Spade movie was terrible.
  • edited October 18 Posts: 337
    Clive Owen plays Sam Spade in a tv show not a movie. Monsieur Spade on AMC tv network.

Clive Owen played a British spy (Agent 006) in the 2006 reboot The Pink Panther so I don't get why he wouldn't have been seriously interested in playing Bond. The idea he was never considered sounds highly unlikely.
    Radio Times
    July 2024
    In a new interview with The Hollywood Reporter, the Croupier actor was asked if speculation of him being the next Bond was real, and it seems the theories were way off.

"It was all hype and talk, and there's a lot worse things to be associated with," Owen said.

The actor has previously opened up about not wanting to play Bond. In an interview with The Daily Beast, Owen acknowledged his "disinterest" in being pigeon-holed into particular roles and genres.

The part about not wanting to play Bond sounds disingenuous given he was happy to play 006 in Pink Panther. I accept it was an uncredited cameo but it was a Bond type role. It's possible he wasn't comfortable committing to Bond for a long time or maybe Barbara Broccoli always preferred Craig over Owen.

• edited October 19 Posts: 180
    So I think my top pick at the moment has got to be Josh O'Connor. It's funny because I think I might have been the first one to mention him when someone said Callum Turner reminded them of Prince Charles and I suggested O'Connor who played the prince in The Crown as a joke. At the time I didn't think he looked like James Bond at all. But after seeing him in La Chimera a while back, I can totally see him playing a great Fleming-style Bond:

Josh-OConnor-in-La-Chimera-Credit-Simona-Pampaollona.jpg

By the way, it's on Hulu right now. I would recommend it. O'Connor plays a grave robber that steals from Etruscan tombs. Rohrwacher is probably my favorite arthouse director at the moment. I love her style.

Anyways, there's something about him. I know it's a cliche, but he's got that "it factor." He's effortlessly cool (unlike ATJ who always seems to be trying very hard). He's got something I just don't see in the other candidates. Though he might be getting too famous soon. Besides Challengers (which I haven't seen yet), he's going to be starring in Spielberg's next film, the next Knives Out film, another Guadagnino film with Léa Seydoux, Kelly Reichardt's next film, and in a WWI movie with Paul Mescal.

But still, I think they need to find someone that's on the verge of becoming a big movie star and scoop him up right before he gets too famous. (As opposed to an actor that's been languishing in TV-actor-land for years. I'm looking at you, Aidan Turner. It's obvious those guys don't have that big screen presence, or else they would have done it by now).

Austin-Hargrave_Josh_O_Connor_16602-copy.jpg

2992.jpg?width=445&dpr=1&s=none&crop=none

Josh-OConnor-by-JuanKR-for-Esquire-Spain-May-2024-2.jpg

For anyone wondering he's 6'1 and 34 years old.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    So I think my top pick at the moment has got to be Josh O'Connor. It's funny because I think I might have been the first one to mention him when someone said Callum Turner reminded them of Prince Charles and I suggested O'Connor who played the prince in The Crown as a joke. At the time I didn't think he looked like James Bond at all. But after seeing him in La Chimera a while back, I can totally see him playing a great Fleming-style Bond:

Josh-OConnor-in-La-Chimera-Credit-Simona-Pampaollona.jpg

By the way, it's on Hulu right now. I would recommend it. O'Connor plays a grave robber that steals from Etruscan tombs. Rohrwacher is probably my favorite arthouse director at the moment. I love her style.

Anyways, there's something about him. I know it's a cliche, but he's got that "it factor." He's effortlessly cool (unlike ATJ who always seems to be trying very hard). He's got something I just don't see in the other candidates. Though he might be getting too famous soon. Besides Challengers (which I haven't seen yet), he's going to be starring in Spielberg's next film, the next Knives Out film, another Guadagnino film with Léa Seydoux, Kelly Reichardt's next film, and in a WWI movie with Paul Mescal.

But still, I think they need to find someone that's on the verge of becoming a big movie star and scoop him up right before he gets too famous. (As opposed to an actor that's been languishing in TV-actor-land for years. I'm looking at you, Aidan Turner. It's obvious those guys don't have that big screen presence, or else they would have done it by now).

Austin-Hargrave_Josh_O_Connor_16602-copy.jpg

2992.jpg?width=445&dpr=1&s=none&crop=none

Josh-OConnor-by-JuanKR-for-Esquire-Spain-May-2024-2.jpg

For anyone wondering he's 6'1 and 34 years old.

He’s very good in La Chimera. Interesting actor, can play geeky, can play romantic lead… can play action hero? Probably. After watching La Chimera a few months ago I’ve moved from thinking he’s a bit too nerdy-looking to thinking he’s got enough acting muscle to maybe make Bond work. He’s an interesting candidate.

@HarmonyRockets I did a quick search of the site and I think you are the first one to say he might make a good candidate for the role. You’ve got bragging rights if he turns out to be our new guy.
    He looks like a French singer. ;)
    bondywondy wrote: »
    Clive Owen plays Sam Spade in a tv show not a movie. Monsieur Spade on AMC tv network.

Clive Owen played a British spy (Agent 006) in the 2006 reboot The Pink Panther so I don't get why he wouldn't have been seriously interested in playing Bond. The idea he was never considered sounds highly unlikely.
    Radio Times
    July 2024
    In a new interview with The Hollywood Reporter, the Croupier actor was asked if speculation of him being the next Bond was real, and it seems the theories were way off.

"It was all hype and talk, and there's a lot worse things to be associated with," Owen said.

The actor has previously opened up about not wanting to play Bond. In an interview with The Daily Beast, Owen acknowledged his "disinterest" in being pigeon-holed into particular roles and genres.

The part about not wanting to play Bond sounds disingenuous given he was happy to play 006 in Pink Panther. I accept it was an uncredited cameo but it was a Bond type role. It's possible he wasn't comfortable committing to Bond for a long time or maybe Barbara Broccoli always preferred Craig over Owen.

Sorry, my bad. Yes Monsieur Spade was a tv series and fans of Hammet hated it.

Do we have any evidence that he was ever considered by EON? We pretty know now who else auditioned for the role.
  • edited October 19 Posts: 4,004

Radio Times
    July 2024

Do we have any evidence that he was ever considered by EON? We pretty know now who else auditioned for the role.

He was offered it but turned it down, presumably for CR (and by ‘offered the part’ it means offer to audition, and it’s worth saying at one point they had a list of 200 potentials). To be fair it genuinely seems he didn’t want to be tied to Bond.

https://www.standard.co.uk/culture/film/owen-turned-down-007-7276156.html

Radio Times
    July 2024

He was truly awful in The Pink Panther. If it was an audition it was a bad one.
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    Clive Owen may have had the looks but he lacks some range. He's good in parts where he's supposed to be moping or he's reflective. But you can't imagine Clive Owen jubilating or celebrating, because he's always doomed and he can't sell euphoria or happiness.

He was indeed very good in Monsieur Spade, where the hangdog looks fitted the character. The issue with that show was the writing. The Marlowe movie with Liam Neeson, the one that was just called Marlowe (and based on a continuation novel from another writer) was from all reports an unmitigated disaster.
    But Monsieur Spade was basically some spy story taking place in rural France in the early 60s, with an American retired private investigator who gets caught in some events, over the course of several weeks. The guy simply happens to be an aging Sam Spade, who has some good one-liners, but apart from a few artificial connections to The Maltese Falcon, it bears no relevance to the plot, and it could have been a generic private dick instead.
    Dashiell Hammett's writing is very distinctive, but it's been replicated on the screen quite successfully, including Rian Johnson's Brick, which was basically The Maltese Falcon but with highschool cliques. In Monsieur Spade, few things were actually Hammett-esque. And the final episode of Monsieur Spade is baffling. Instead of Spade tying the loose ends and explaining the plot to the suspects, we get instead a new character to wrap everything. The whole episode is a series of "Wait… What?!"
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Clive Owen may have had the looks but he lacks some range. He's good in parts where he's supposed to be moping or he's reflective. But you can't imagine Clive Owen jubilating or celebrating, because he's always doomed and he can't sell euphoria or happiness.

He was indeed very good in Monsieur Spade, where the hangdog looks fitted the character. The issue with that show was the writing. The Marlowe movie with Liam Neeson, the one that was just called Marlowe (and based on a continuation novel from another writer) was from all reports an unmitigated disaster.
    But Monsieur Spade was basically some spy story taking place in rural France in the early 60s, with an American retired private investigator who gets caught in some events, over the course of several weeks. The guy simply happens to be an aging Sam Spade, who has some good one-liners, but apart from a few artificial connections to The Maltese Falcon, it bears no relevance to the plot, and it could have been a generic private dick instead.
    Dashiell Hammett's writing is very distinctive, but it's been replicated on the screen quite successfully, including Rian Johnson's Brick, which was basically The Maltese Falcon but with highschool cliques. In Monsieur Spade, few things were actually Hammett-esque. And the final episode of Monsieur Spade is baffling. Instead of Spade tying the loose ends and explaining the plot to the suspects, we get instead a new character to wrap everything. The whole episode is a series of "Wait… What?!"

I’m glad you enjoyed his performance, @HildebrandRarity … I just found him excruciatingly boring. He mumbles terribly and his American accent was atrocious, to my ears. He just seems flat to me. I think I watched three episodes before turning it off, and although the story was quite generic (but in a very nice setting), to me, that was the least of its problems. The bullseye is on the back of Owen. Just a terribly thin actor with little presence, in my opinion. It’s frustrating because I wanted to like him, and the show. But, as in most of his work, he just disappoints (does the guy even want to be an actor? He seems to put zero energy/investment into his roles and they all blend into one, morose and boring figure).
    007HallY wrote: »

Radio Times
    July 2024

He was offered it but turned it down, presumably for CR (and by ‘offered the part’ it means offer to audition, and it’s worth saying at one point they had a list of 200 potentials). To be fair it genuinely seems he didn’t want to be tied to Bond.

https://www.standard.co.uk/culture/film/owen-turned-down-007-7276156.html

Don't think he would have been good as Bond and I don't think he would have made the cut, nevertheless I'm surprised that he didn't even want to audition.
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    Some actors have mixed feelings about playing Bond. Dominic West, for instance, who auditioned for Casino Royale, has said contradictory things in interviews. At some point, he said that he wasn't really interested and dropped at the audition in casual clothes, as he was only there because his agent asked him to. Then, he told that he would have loved to play such an hero. And a decade ago, he admitted that he loved what Craig had brought to the franchise, that his performance had turned things up, and that he had gone deliberately the audition in casual clothes to look different and stand out from the others. But… he preferred not to show that he cared, and he was also influenced by a "school of thought" that the part would be a "bit of a poisoned chalice because the films had got so bad."

Maybe Owen was a subscriber to the same "school of thought". It should also be said that Craig's tenure has considerably raised the caliber of the talents attracted to the franchise. Or it was simply a money thing.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    I remember the rumour many years ago was that Owen had said upfront he wanted a percentage of the gross and that Eon wouldn’t play ball. I can certainly see Owen playing hardball thinking he was in a strong position (he was the obvious choice at the time, iirc) and it all going wrong.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited October 20 Posts: 6,246

I’m glad you enjoyed his performance, @HildebrandRarity … I just found him excruciatingly boring. He mumbles terribly and his American accent was atrocious, to my ears. He just seems flat to me. I think I watched three episodes before turning it off, and although the story was quite generic (but in a very nice setting), to me, that was the least of its problems. The bullseye is on the back of Owen. Just a terribly thin actor with little presence, in my opinion. It’s frustrating because I wanted to like him, and the show. But, as in most of his work, he just disappoints (does the guy even want to be an actor? He seems to put zero energy/investment into his roles and they all blend into one, morose and boring figure).

I obviously don't mind a good a** shot--see 2:00 below--but I did not need to see Owen's flabby a** in this show.

Also, if--if--John Hamm could do a British accent, he would have been a much better American choice for Bond than John Gavin or James Brolin. For one, the man can act.

• peterpeter Toronto
    echo wrote: »

I obviously don't mind a good a** shot--see 2:00 below--but I did not need to see Owen's flabby a** in this show.

Ahaha that’s very true— me neither @echo !!!!!!

(But Jake Gylenhaal’s in Presumed Innocent? Pretty full moon he’s carrying, 😂)
    Some actors have mixed feelings about playing Bond. Dominic West, for instance, who auditioned for Casino Royale, has said contradictory things in interviews. At some point, he said that he wasn't really interested and dropped at the audition in casual clothes, as he was only there because his agent asked him to. Then, he told that he would have loved to play such an hero. And a decade ago, he admitted that he loved what Craig had brought to the franchise, that his performance had turned things up, and that he had gone deliberately the audition in casual clothes to look different and stand out from the others. But… he preferred not to show that he cared, and he was also influenced by a "school of thought" that the part would be a "bit of a poisoned chalice because the films had got so bad."

Maybe Owen was a subscriber to the same "school of thought". It should also be said that Craig's tenure has considerably raised the caliber of the talents attracted to the franchise. Or it was simply a money thing.

I didn't know Dominic West was considered by EON, enough to audition. It's one of the candidates alongside James Purefoy, which I would have liked to see, back in the days.
    I remember the rumour many years ago was that Owen had said upfront he wanted a percentage of the gross and that Eon wouldn’t play ball. I can certainly see Owen playing hardball thinking he was in a strong position (he was the obvious choice at the time, iirc) and it all going wrong.
    Sounds a bit unlikely that he started discussing bonus and salary before even auditioning.
    Off topic, I miss Mad Men (and its Bond references). That show was art, pretty much every week.

• peterpeter Toronto

I didn't know Dominic West was considered by EON, enough to audition. It's one of the candidates alongside James Purefoy, which I would have liked to see, back in the days.
    Sounds a bit unlikely that he started discussing bonus and salary before even auditioning.

I was a big fan of James Purefoy way back in the day. I think he maybe even have been my leading candidate that I wanted to play Bond. Man, I’m very happy with the guy we got. I just can’t see any of the other names being able to bring anything genuinely fresh to the role.
    edited October 20 Posts: 480
    And the next guy will also bring something genuinely fresh. That's why most of our guesses and propositions must be way off.
    It should be quite obvious that EON won't hire a Daniel Craig Jr. (or the splitting image of Roger Moore or a Sean Connery lookalike) to play Bond for the next fifteen years. This was a phase of the franchise, and it's now done. They want someone who can fit in the legacy of previous Bond actors, but who can also help make the next years of the franchise distinctive enough, otherwise it will go stale.
    That was an issue with Pierce Brosnan. Goldeneye showed a lot of potential, but the next scripts and Brosnan's performances had his Bond to be too much of a Connery-Moore composite.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    And the next guy will also bring something genuinely fresh. That's why most of our guesses and propositions must be way off.
    It should be quite obvious that EON won't hire a Daniel Craig Jr. (or the splitting image of Roger Moore or a Sean Connery lookalike) to play Bond for the next fifteen years. This was a phase of the franchise, and it's now done. They want someone who can fit in the legacy of previous Bond actors, but who can also help make the next years of the franchise distinctive enough, otherwise it will go stale.
    That was an issue with Pierce Brosnan. Goldeneye showed a lot of potential, but the next scripts and Brosnan's performances had his Bond to be too much of a Connery-Moore composite.

Very nicely said @HildebrandRarity … and who would want a Connery 2.0, or a Moore or Dalton or Craig or Brosnan or Lazenby 2.0.

They’d never be as exciting as the original. And as you point out: we’ve had those. It’s a part of this great history.

The new guy has to fit into this history, but move us forward at the same time (it’s a tricky gig).

Thanks for the post. Very nice 👍🏻!!
    edited October 20 Posts: 6,246
    Agreed. This is why I can see them going for a Nicholas Hoult or Jamie Bell-level actor, although I'm not saying it will be one of those two.

Eon needs someone who is unafraid to step into Craig's shoes both in terms of acting and the media...and that might lead them to a more seasoned actor than usual.

We're in a very different, instant-gratification, social media world than Craig, Brosnan, or Dalton ever faced.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    As far as Jon Hamm, I would love to see him cast as Felix and serve as a pseudo mentor/ role model to a young British agent with whom he’s paired.
    Monsieur Spade was quite good. Owen wasn't attempting to channel Bogart. M.S. was doing what the Bond series has done for decades: a Sam Spade in another timeline. We're not getting another Bogart, but Sam Spade is a character who deserves a series or film from time to time.