The Last Movie You Bought?

1190191192193194196»

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    deadly%20pursuit.jpg
    It has been some time since I watched this excellent thriller.
    Not a movie, but :

1387641.jpg

Loved it.
    deadly%20pursuit.jpg

I do remember going to see it in the cinema, but alas, it obviously didn't make an impression on me, as I don't remember a single thing about it! Wasn't Clancy Brown the villain? Its original title was 'Shoot to Kill', better than 'Deadly Pursuit', which is a rather lazy catchpenny title!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    deadly%20pursuit.jpg

I do remember going to see it in the cinema, but alas, it obviously didn't make an impression on me, as I don't remember a single thing about it! Wasn't Clancy Brown the villain? Its original title was 'Shoot to Kill', better than 'Deadly Pursuit', which is a rather lazy catchpenny title!

Thats right Clancy was the villain, Roger Spotiiwoode directed. It has been some time since I watched it, I liked it on release.
    deadly%20pursuit.jpg

Thats right Clancy was the villain, Roger Spotiiwoode directed. It has been some time since I watched it, I liked it on release.

Ah, I forgot Spottiswoode directed. One of his earlier movies was called 'The Pursuit of D.B. Cooper' Maybe that's why they changed titles? 'Cooper' is actually a very entertaining thriller with Treat Williams, true story if I recall?
    deadly%20pursuit.jpg

Ah, I forgot Spottiswoode directed. One of his earlier movies was called 'The Pursuit of D.B. Cooper' Maybe that's why they changed titles? 'Cooper' is actually a very entertaining thriller with Treat Williams, true story if I recall?

I am a fan of Treat Williams, he is great in The Phantom and Deep Rising, not sure if i have seen the film you mentioned though.
    deadly%20pursuit.jpg

I am a fan of Treat Williams, he is great in The Phantom and Deep Rising, not sure if i have seen the film you mentioned though.

It's rarely seen! I only caught it once on television, and am not sure it's easy to get on dvd/streaming!
    Treat Williams is always good! There's a quirky thriller called 'Things to do in Denver when you're dead' with Andy Garcia, Williams is really good in it as a very unhinged character!!
    deadly%20pursuit.jpg

It's rarely seen! I only caught it once on television, and am not sure it's easy to get on dvd/streaming!
    Treat Williams is always good! There's a quirky thriller called 'Things to do in Denver when you're dead' with Andy Garcia, Williams is really good in it as a very unhinged character!!

I think I saw that if Terri Hatcher is also in Things to do in Denver when you're dead though it was a long time ago,it may have been before TND or around that time.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
  • edited September 14 Posts: 7,387
    deadly%20pursuit.jpg

I think I saw that if Terri Hatcher is also in Things to do in Denver when you're dead though it was a long time ago,it may have been before TND or around that time.

No, the female lead is the gorgeous Gabrielle Anwar! It has actually a terrific cast, as well as Garcia and Williams, it has Christopher Walken, Jack Warden, Steve Buscemi and Christopher Lloyd! It's an unusual thriller with a bizarre plot, but it is clever and has some standout scenes. Well worth seeking out!
    deadly%20pursuit.jpg

No, the female lead is the gorgeous Gabrielle Anwar! It has actually a terrific cast, as well as Garcia and Williams, it has Christopher Walken, Steve Buscemi and Christopher Lloyd! It's an unusual thriller with a bizarre plot, but it is clever and has some standout scenes. Well worth seeking out!

Sounds good I will look out for it, I like thrillers especially if neo noir, Walken is also always good value.
    edited September 16 Posts: 24,989
    Not a movie though a soundtrack, I stumbled on Carlito's Way on CD this afternoon whilst out browsing charity shops.

MS02MjY4LmpwZWc.jpeg
    I love this film.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited September 17 Posts: 4,576
    I caught this by accident on TCM a few weeks ago and decided to get it in my collection. It's not a great film, but it has some really cool Bondian elements, including a very Bond-like John Barry score. I think Blake Edwards was trying his hand at a Bond movie, and it works in some places. (I'm also a sucker for Julie Andrews.)

The_Tamarind_Seed_FilmPoster.jpeg
    edited September 17 Posts: 24,989
    Stick-Blu-ray.jpg
    Directed by the great man himself, Burt was one of the original stuntman actors.

Many of my friends would call me Burt in my youth as I looked like him, Burt Reynolds films should be celebrated more, and his life story is really tough.
    Stick-Blu-ray.jpg
    Directed by the great man himself, Burt was one of the original stuntman actors.

Many of my friends would call me Burt in my youth as I looked like him, Burt Reynolds films should be celebrated more, and his life story is really tough.

Definitely not one of Burts best! I have been mulling over getting his double bill of 'White Lightning ' and 'Gator', andI still haven't purchased 'Sharkeys Machine' which I really must do!
    Stick-Blu-ray.jpg

Definitely not one of Burts best! I have been mulling over getting his double bill of 'White Lightning ' and 'Gator', andI still haven't purchased 'Sharkeys Machine' which I really must do!

Stick
    is not his best but I do like the story, Burt in a few scenes slips into his Burt persona which undermines what is happening., the film reminds me of a different era which I am happy to spend time in.

Burt's Gator films are great he was at the peak of his powers then, I highly recommend a YouTube channel called GATOR McKLUSKY there is some great Burt Reynolds retrospectives on there.
    deadpool_wolverine_2024_poster.jpg
    Today, I bought this :

12266643-9014815512890650.jpg

So, I have now the Showa and the Heisei series, and two of the Millenium movies. Now, what will I do with the movies I have in duplicate ?
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    edited October 4 Posts: 2,820
    @Gerald. Criterion's "Showa Era" Box set is very good - although some fans have issues with it (i.e., the lack of the US versions and the absence of a 4K scan for the films despite them being available in Japan). My understanding, however, that this was more on Toho than Criterion.

As for what you should do with your duplicates, I wrote this in an earlier posting (but the situation may differ since you live outside of the US):

That said, whether you should sell your existing copies depends on their quality. Beginning in 2004 or so, Classic Media/Sony (in north America) had the rights to 7 of the Showa era titles and those disks contained both the Japanese and US edits of the films as well as really informative auto commentary tracks from a variety of Godzilla film historians. As you are probably aware, the Criterion Box Set only contains the Japanese edits of the films, and the auto commentary/extras were not carried over. For example, the Japanese edit of MOTHRA vs. GODZILLA does NOT contain the sequence where U.S. military officials help Japan against Godzilla. As a result, I held onto my older copies of the films even though they were just of DVD quality..

Another factor to consider is whether your existing DVDs have any "extras." Some years ago, for example I purchased several Godzilla films from a Japanese seller. Those dics had lots of extras that are unlikely to ever appear on a release outside of Japan. For example, the deluxe edition of GODZILLA:FINAL WARS has a full 2 hr. documentary on the history of the then 50 year series, including interviews with many of the participants and behind the scenes clips.

BTW: Now that Criterion was acquired the rights to the first four of the Heisei era films, a box set of those movies maybe a future development. As of now, those films are available for streaming on Criterion's US site and HBO/MAX recently added a couple of Heisei era films (including - I think - the US version of 1985's THE RETURN OF GODZILLA called GODZILLA 1985
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    In August 2024:

550x708.jpg
    Bluray: World Invasion Battle Los Angeles (2011) - 2013 Limited Edition Steelbook € 5,00

September 2024:

DVD:

550x754.jpg
    Stockholm Trilogie aka Snabba cash 1-3 (2010, 2012 & 2013) in 3 Disc Boxset. Swedish movies and first one is directed by Daniel Espinosa (Safe House) and besides a trailer also include uncredit English interview feature with Dutch or French subtitels.

550x781.jpg
    The Sleeping Dictionary (2003)

550x781.jpg
    Forbidden Choices aka The Beans of Egypt, Maine (1994) With Rutger Hauer.

550x778.jpg
    Mistral's Daughter (1984) - 2 Part mini series on two dvd's starring Timothy Dalton. € 1,99.

Bluray:

550x718.jpg
    Jurassic World (2015) - 3 Disc 3D release (3D + 2D + DVD) € 10,00. Finally after all those years.

550x638.jpg
    Ferrari (2023) with slipcover € 6,67 / 3 for € 20,00 (NEW) the first and only movie so far from The Searchers who also include (whyle not subtiteld) extra's. It is second time that single movie from them include slipcover.

detective-knight-rogue-redemption-independence-dv.jpg
    Detective Knight Trilogy Collection: Rogue (2022), Redemption (2022) and Independence (2023) - 3 disc keepcase with slipcover. € 6,66 / 3 for € 20,00 (NEW) Sadley enough 3 of Bruce Willis final movies. Total count Bruce Willis: 17 (Include episode of Miami Vice / Animated movie Over The Edge).

550x691.jpg
    Clifford the Big Red Dog (2021) € 6,67 / 3 for € 20,00 (NEW) with John Cleese.

So far in October 2024 on DVD:

161368448_0340_0340.jpg
    The Blues Brothers (1980) / Blues Brothers 2000 (1998) - 2 Disc UK edition including Dutch subs on both movies € 1,00 (from € 1,50)

550x794.jpg
    The Royal Tenenbaums (2001) - 2 Disc SE. € 1,00

550x738.jpg
    Herbie 5 movie collection: 5 disc Digipack, released in 2006. Include The Love Bug (1969), Herbie Rides Again (1974), Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo (1977), Herbie Goes Bananas (1980) and Herbie: Fully Loaded (2005). € 2,50 (From € 3,00). Only first and fifth movie include some extra's. Turn out there is also 1997 movie named The Love Bug who is not include and shame that 5th movie has gray disc as art work, whyle other discs has some pictures from the movie.
    M_Balje wrote: »
    In August 2024:

550x708.jpg
    Bluray: World Invasion Battle Los Angeles (2011) - 2013 Limited Edition Steelbook € 5,00

September 2024:

DVD:

550x754.jpg
    Stockholm Trilogie aka Snabba cash 1-3 (2010, 2012 & 2013) in 3 Disc Boxset. Swedish movies and first one is directed by Daniel Espinosa (Safe House) and besides a trailer also include uncredit English interview feature with Dutch or French subtitels.

550x781.jpg
    The Sleeping Dictionary (2003)

550x781.jpg
    Forbidden Choices aka The Beans of Egypt, Maine (1994) With Rutger Hauer.

550x778.jpg
    Mistral's Daughter (1984) - 2 Part mini series on two dvd's starring Timothy Dalton. € 1,99.

Bluray:

550x718.jpg
    Jurassic World (2015) - 3 Disc 3D release (3D + 2D + DVD) € 10,00. Finally after all those years.

550x638.jpg
    Ferrari (2023) with slipcover € 6,67 / 3 for € 20,00 (NEW) the first and only movie so far from The Searchers who also include (whyle not subtiteld) extra's. It is second time that single movie from them include slipcover.

detective-knight-rogue-redemption-independence-dv.jpg
    Detective Knight Trilogy Collection: Rogue (2022), Redemption (2022) and Independence (2023) - 3 disc keepcase with slipcover. € 6,66 / 3 for € 20,00 (NEW) Sadley enough 3 of Bruce Willis final movies. Total count Bruce Willis: 17 (Include episode of Miami Vice / Animated movie Over The Edge).

550x691.jpg
    Clifford the Big Red Dog (2021) € 6,67 / 3 for € 20,00 (NEW) with John Cleese.

So far in October 2024 on DVD:

161368448_0340_0340.jpg
    The Blues Brothers (1980) / Blues Brothers 2000 (1998) - 2 Disc UK edition including Dutch subs on both movies € 1,00 (from € 1,50)

550x794.jpg
    The Royal Tenenbaums (2001) - 2 Disc SE. € 1,00

550x738.jpg
    Herbie 5 movie collection: 5 disc Digipack, released in 2006. Include The Love Bug (1969), Herbie Rides Again (1974), Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo (1977), Herbie Goes Bananas (1980) and Herbie: Fully Loaded (2005). € 2,50 (From € 3,00). Only first and fifth movie include some extra's. Turn out there is also 1997 movie named The Love Bug who is not include and shame that 5th movie has gray disc as art work, whyle other discs has some pictures from the movie.

Blues Brothers and the first 4 Herbie films are great, I never watched Reloaded.
    81Nuv6oiq5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

81laXEue4zL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    850459-alien-romulus-0-2000-0-3000-crop-scaled.jpg
    Not seen this yet, that is my night sorted looking forward to this.