Sam Mendes to direct Bond 24?

Comments

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    RC7 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    You're the one that has been critical of Craig in the past @Getafix. I seem to recall you pointing how he stands with his legs apart. What about his pouting and Terminator-style running? ;)

It's possible to be critical about aspects of an actors performance. I too think his pouting is ridiculous and for me his running style is like a slo-mo comedy Michael Johnson. Doesn't mean I don't like him.

he's the running Bond lol.

the part that makes me laugh a little, because something looks off about it, is in SF when he's running to get to M while she's quoting Tennyson.. the side shot of him running - his arms and legs seem to be going a mile a minute, yet it looks like he is running slow... it just looks awkward lol.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    HASEROT wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    You're the one that has been critical of Craig in the past @Getafix. I seem to recall you pointing how he stands with his legs apart. What about his pouting and Terminator-style running? ;)

It's possible to be critical about aspects of an actors performance. I too think his pouting is ridiculous and for me his running style is like a slo-mo comedy Michael Johnson. Doesn't mean I don't like him.

he's the running Bond lol.

the part that makes me laugh a little, because something looks off about it, is in SF when he's running to get to M while she's quoting Tennyson.. the side shot of him running - his arms and legs seem to be going a mile a minute, yet it looks like he is running slow... it just looks awkward lol.

I noticed that and I think it was on purpose! It reminds me of one of those dream where you run so fast but you almost don't move. That scene makes me feel helpless because it looks like no matter how fast Bond runs, he will not be there in time to save M because there is such a long way to run.
  • RC7RC7
    HASEROT wrote:
    the side shot of him running - his arms and legs seem to be going a mile a minute, yet it looks like he is running slow... it just looks awkward lol.

Yeah it's really strange. I was talking to a friend of mine (who's a marathon runner) about it, we deduced that he's probably not a particularly adept runner in terms of speed and technique (you can see it in his knees and ankles) and his muscle mass makes him look slower still. If you look at him next to Foucan in CR, you can see Foucan is a supreme, lean, mean athlete, Dan's physique is more bodybuilder or boxer.

My friend, who was an All State runner, told me that a tip for when you can't move your legs any faster is to focus pumping your arms faster. He says it helps for when slower people top out.
  • RC7RC7
    ultrabox wrote:
    My friend, who was an All State runner, told me that a tip for when you can't move your legs any faster is to focus pumping your arms faster. He says it helps for when slower people top out.

It's true. You've got to have the arms though, and Craig does. Difference in the movie is that Craig isn't topping out, I think it's just his style.
    cooperman2 wrote:
    My point was that some people say that an American director would simply not understand the Britishness of the character. I say that the American producer's, especially in the early days of Cubby and Harry ,understood the Britishness very well. So if some American director comes along who can get what the character is and what he stands for they should not be dismissed

Some may, no doubt about it, but I think the producers want to keep a British perspective from Brits on the character, hence the reluctance to have an American director. I would be favourable to some... In fact to one: Kathryn Bigelow. In all depends of who. I wouldn't have an American writer or director be any near Bond if he is like Tom Mankiewicz, but then again I think he misunderstood an American icon like Batman.
    Apparently Barbara and Michael didn't know much sooner than we did that Sam won't be directing the next one:

“We’re devastated,” Michael G Wilson tells me at the South Bank awards, organised by Rupert Murdoch’s Sky Arts. “We didn’t expect it, so I have no idea who will replace him. We’re still reeling. We only found out a day before the announcement. I think he feels like he’s done it now, but hopefully we can tempt him back.”
    Barbara Broccoli, for her part, adds: ”It’s a

, isn’t’ it? We’re very sad he’s decided not to do it as we really wanted him on board.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mandrake/9925617/Skyfall-director-Sam-Mendes-shocks-Bond-producers.html
    Wow this really was last minute. It seems as though he was THIS close to coming back. Well best of luck to Barbara and Michael to get a great director!
    bondbat007 wrote:
    Wow this really was last minute. It seems as though he was THIS close to coming back. Well best of luck to Barbara and Michael to get a great director!

And hopefully it won't take too long.
    around when could we get an announcement ?
  • Interesting to see how Campbell, at his age, has still got the ability to direct action and make it "cool".
    Oh come on, the script is so lazy, it's dark night when she enters the building to take two photos and full bright day when she leaves it. And how can the guy who gives her the card can happen to be exactly where he is at the split second they cross ? Once again it's too focused on the characters and the direction instead of the story, don't give it to him, it would be Skyfall nonsense all over again, and...

Oopps sorry, forgot to take my pills :)

• edited March 2013 Posts: 11,119
    Tuulia wrote:
    Apparently Barbara and Michael didn't know much sooner than we did that Sam won't be directing the next one:

“We’re devastated,” Michael G Wilson tells me at the South Bank awards, organised by Rupert Murdoch’s Sky Arts. “We didn’t expect it, so I have no idea who will replace him. We’re still reeling. We only found out a day before the announcement. I think he feels like he’s done it now, but hopefully we can tempt him back.”

, isn’t’ it? We’re very sad he’s decided not to do it as we really wanted him on board.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mandrake/9925617/Skyfall-director-Sam-Mendes-shocks-Bond-producers.html

Well, I have been saying that for quite some time now. It was fairly obvious from the message I posted last week. Sometimes it is like this. When others said to me that Michael and Barbara just kept it secret I said 'no way..'.
    For all we know they have known for weeks...and have already chosen the next director...I still feel though that Mendes is being honest in saying he would welcome the return to direct in the future as he has certainly give the impression of enjoying the experience. I think we will probably see him for 25.

Watch both behind the scenes videos. I think was only decided in the past two weeks really :-(. I'm really gutted to be honest, because watching the videos down below Sam Mendes looked/sounded eager to return. Als hear Mendes saying: "I want to say a thank you to the people who we build this movie around [Bardem, Craig]":

My advice for the producers I admire so much, Michael and Barbara: Please try to get Sam Mendes onboard as some kind of 'creative consultant' or 'co-writer' with John Logan. It is less time consuming for him, it pays bit less, but it could be seen as a great honour that Sam actually can't reject.
  • I really hope that he returns for BOND 25.SF is one great flm and the direction is superb I was hoping that Mendes would commit to BOND 24. In the above video he states that he would return if the story is something that he could direct - he doesn't mention the commitments of his theatre work. I also thought that BB reactions looked as if they already knew he might not be returning. Either way - they (BB and MGW) need to make the right descision and hire a quality director.
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 2,015
    Getafix wrote:
    I completely agree. This knee-jerk anti-Americanism is typical British parochialism. (...) The idea that it has to be a Brit or (for some inexplicable reason) someone from the Commonwealth, is pathetic.

You can extend the anti-Americanism you perceive in this case to far more than the UK : Europe at least (where SF was even more successful than it was globally, and producers usually notice such things). I think that for many, Bond not being directed by an American is mostly a sign it will somehow stay different from the "Hollywood blockbuster" mass production, and yet that does not mean you "hate" America. I think you can like Bond and James Cameron and Spielberg and Will Smith and Downey Jr at the same time, and still hope not to see all this mixed together in future.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Tuulia wrote:

As it's so fresh to them too hopefully they're able to get another director on board and rebuild as soon as possible with the right person. Wishing them all the best.
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    Why not an American director? Screenwriter John Logan is American! A writer has more influence on the amount of Britishness in a movie than a director, i think.
    Some people here are very biased against Americans having to do anything with Bond it seems. Not everybody but defiantly some. EON has not gone out of their way to hire an American, it's just they've never gotten the job. I remember with DAD that they were considering Brett Ratner and Brosnan wanted EON to hire him. Lord knows X3 is far from perfect but he would have made a better film that Lee Tamahori
    I had no problem with X men 3 it really wasnt that bad
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Ratner for any movie arouses suspicion but for Bond?? As for Brosnan, jeez, I like the guy but when he champions such directors to helm a Bond film it's no wonder the producers treated him like those hot chicks you parade around to be seen and not heard.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Ratner directing a Bond film? I think I'm having a nightmare, that man ruined X3 and then took a brilliant book like Red Dragon and made a pedestrian thriller with none of the class of Silence of The Lambs, letting him near Bond, yes I would start up the ratnersnot bonddirector.com website in a heart beat.

As for the dislike for Hooper, interesting that people are saying that Social Network should have won all the Oscars instead (it was a much better film and Eisenberg was as good as Firth in my book). I say take SN's director Mr David Fincher and give him the job.

If Mendes can upgrade to big budget blockbuster then DF it should be a cinch and Fincher for my book is an infinitely better director than Mendes (who I like).

It's not going to happen but a Fincher Bond film if he was up for it would be something pretty special, I agree it's time to consider an American, I'd rather that than seeing a Brit director like Ridley Scott (who's been of his game for decades) getting the job.

Agreed on that. Prometheus was a massive let down of biblical proportions. I left the cinema, went home, ignored my girl and popped Alien into the dvd player.
    I feel by May we will know who the director is Ritchie is being heavidly rumored these days which is interresting but not too bad
    Interesting how he hasn't debunked the rumors yet.
  • I hope to God it's not Guy Ritchie.
  • RC7 wrote:
    ultrabox wrote:

It's true. You've got to have the arms though, and Craig does. Difference in the movie is that Craig isn't topping out, I think it's just his style.

According to the producer's commentary Craig was injured the day they shot him running down Whitehall. However, he does look like he's keeping himself much more upright than a track and field runner would.

Even though they are clearly unhappy with Mendes not coming back, it's good to see them in good spirits about it. There are clearly no hard feelings between the three so hopefully Mendes will truly be back one day
    Even though they are clearly unhappy with Mendes not coming back, it's good to see them in good spirits about it. There are clearly no hard feelings between the three so hopefully Mendes will truly be back one day
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote:
    ultrabox wrote:

According to the producer's commentary Craig was injured the day they shot him running down Whitehall. However, he does look like he's keeping himself much more upright than a track and field runner would.

He always runs like that, it's the same in CR, most notably in the airport sequence. Just his style, same as Rog always looked uneasy legging it around.
    I recently watched Campbell's 'Last Resort' pilot and it does leave a lot to the imagination. It's a a pretty poor episode, the acting is dire and the plot is far from exciting. The actual action beats are actually quite exciting and at times rather tense. But the whole thing really lacks punch. Maybe Campbell is now past it, maybe the prods should steer well clear for Bond 24 :S