The forum troll phenomenon

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    SaintMark wrote:
    I like NORWAY too much as a country and its citizen. :!!

Oh, sorry. How about a little island somewhere well out of the way then?
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 1,009
    Dragonpol wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    I missed the fact that Trolls are originally from Norway. Dragonpoll you seriously dropped the ball missing that fact. :D ;) :!!

Well, we can't all be geniuses! :D

I generally like geniuses and trolls of the Norwegian variety.

How about we send our trolls on a one-way trip to a very remote Norwegian fjord for some confino?

Sorry for what I'm going to say, @Dragonpol, but my fav trolls are the Finnish ones. I love that little rascal Moomin...
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Dragonpol wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    I missed the fact that Trolls are originally from Norway. Dragonpoll you seriously dropped the ball missing that fact. :D ;) :!!

Well, we can't all be geniuses! :D

I generally like geniuses and trolls of the Norwegian variety.

How about we send our trolls on a one-way trip to a very remote Norwegian fjord for some confino?

Please no more trolls here, we have too many already. (No,I am not a trollophobic racist) 8-X
  • BennyBenny Shaken not stirredAdministrator, Moderator
    edited April 2014 Posts: 15,041
    Quick update.
    I realise that we have had a few issues again recently with trolls. They pop up now and again, and with the help of members PM's and flagging of posts it makes it much easier for the mods and admin to effectively remove them.
    I am happy to say that several troll accounts have been banned these past few days.
    However as we know these people are relentless in their pursuit to annoy and antagonise. They will return, and we will stop them once again.
    If you encounter a troll, please do not respond to them, do not quote them or reply in anyway. Either on the forum or on their user page.
    dont-feed-the-trolls.jpg

We will always have to put up with these pests from time to time. It is unfortunately a part of internet forums. But we can rid ourselves of the problem quicker by being sensible.
    Thanks

I will point out that ElegantCarver is a troll account. The site admin will deal with this user, but in the meantime, please don't respond to his posts.
    Thanks.
    Isn t there a way to ban certain IP adresses entirely? I don t know how many regular users there are here without a personal computer, being dependent on a public library or an internet cafe to sign in, but doubt that it would cause any problems for people. Or is there some other technical reason why it cannot be done?
    Excellent job, by the way.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Isn t there a way to ban certain IP adresses entirely? I don t know how many regular users there are here without a personal computer, being dependent on a public library or an internet cafe to sign in, but doubt that it would cause any problems for people. Or is there some other technical reason why it cannot be done?
    Excellent job, by the way.

The problem is that I believe it must be surprisingly easy to go around an IP adress ban. I guess it's the same way you hide your location to watch region-restricted videos for example.
    I see, thanks. I am clueless when it comes to these things.
    Join the club @Thunderfinger !
  • I noticed a couple of trolls on the spot, I'm glad it was addressed.
    edited April 2014 Posts: 18,166
    I'm very appreciative of all the mods and admins have done to remove these pests from our midst. Keep fighting the good fight. I just wanted to say that.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    I realize this is a problem that will never entirely go away, but kudos to the admin and mods who keep them from causing too much disruption.

I think we should all feel free to point them out on the spot so that the other users are aware of who they are.

great little troll O:-)
    That is a Swedish troll. I saw this in the cinema at the age of 7 or 8, had forgotten all about it.
    The recurring troll here is probably some mod from CBn trying to wreak havoc to their fiercest competitor.
    That is a Swedish troll. I saw this in the cinema at the age of 7 or 8, had forgotten all about it.
    The recurring troll here is probably some mod from CBn trying to wreak havoc to their fiercest competitor.

I wouldn't doubt that; they banned me in 2012 after ten and a half years' membership as Silhouette Man.
    And I got an informal warning at some time(can you believe it?), the regular trolls never got any such thing. Proud to be a defector. I miss a lot of the old members there, but they are mostly gone anyway. I remember Silhouette Man, but for some unexplicable reason we never got to talk much, did we? It was mostly litterary Bond for you there if I remember correctly. I love Fleming, but find the movies more fun to discuss.
    edited October 2019 Posts: 18,166
    And I got an informal warning at some time(can you believe it?), the regular trolls never got any such thing. Proud to be a defector. I miss a lot of the old members there, but they are mostly gone anyway. I remember Silhouette Man, but for some unexplicable reason we never got to talk much, did we? It was mostly litterary Bond for you there if I remember correctly. I love Fleming, but find the movies more fun to discuss.

I never realised you were on CBn, @Thunderfinger, so I guess that our paths never did cross sadly, but we are now part of something much bigger and better. Major Tallon and a few other good members are still over there but it's not what it was, although Jim has had a successful series of Bond articles on the go of late. A lot of the best members have sadly been banned for all eternity from there.
    It was a really great community 6,7,8 years ago, but I have never regretted signing up here instead.
    It was a really great community 6,7,8 years ago, but I have never regretted signing up here instead.

It was, but the new mods/admins have ruined it from about 2010 onwards. It's a very PC/liberal place politically and has sadly become a cold place for many Bond fans with intelligent things to say. Their harshness on loyal longtime members has meant that the forum has become very stagnant (especially the Literary Bond section) due to bans and other members they have alienated. I don't regret leaving it either.
    I just visited my profile there for fun. Wow! 4528 visits. I guess I am more popular over there. Well, bye-bye, MI6. :)) (Kidding, in case you do not know me by now)
    I just visited my profile there for fun. Wow! 4528 visits. I guess I am more popular over there. Well, bye-bye, MI6. :)) (Kidding, in case you do not know me by now)

Yes, though you are becoming just as popular here too!
    edited April 2014 Posts: 45,489
    Dragonpol wrote:

Thanks for your kind words, but I just checked. You have 4300 visits on your page. I have 11. I know you were here 9 months before me,but the popularity contest is no contest really. Have you checked the appreciation thread recently? We are tied at the moment, but I am rooting for you. And if I get it everyone shall live to regret it. I stand by my word.(Sometimes)
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    The visits functionality is unreliable, I can assure you that you have more than 11 profile visits.
    Should it really be 11 million then? No, I know it is malfunctioning, but it doesn t matter. Just remove the thing if it doesn t work, it is unimportant.
    Dragonpol wrote:

Thanks for your kind words, but I just checked. You have 4300 visits on your page. I have 11. I know you were here 9 months before me,but the popularity contest is no contest really. Have you checked the appreciation thread recently? We are tied at the moment, but I am rooting for you. And if I get it everyone shall live to regret it. I stand by my word.(Sometimes)

I didn't think I had so many as it was not really working until recently. I think you deserve the Friday Salute; that's why I voted for you.

EDIT: You were looking at my post count, I only have 163 page hits on my profile!
    Oops, I must have looked at your post number. Well, we all love you anyway. And we are derailing the thread, as none of us are trolls. (Much)
    Oops, I must have looked at your post number. Well, we all love you anyway. And we are derailing the thread, as none of us are trolls. (Much)

Thanks, it's nice to be appreciated. We are striking up a right old bond as it were.
    Yes , we are 4 ever bonded I hope.
    Yes , we are 4 ever bonded I hope.

Certainly; we're birds of feather.
    Let us quit now before someone asks us to get a room.
    Let us quit now before someone asks us to get a room.

Indeed. Enough of the Mutual Appreciation Society for one day!