The Clint Eastwood Appreciation Thread

13»

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited June 3 Posts: 24,776
    I had another Clint Double Bill, this time The Enforcer and Tightrope.

The Enforcer was hokier than I remember and sits at the bottom of the Dirty Harry films for me, I did like the dynamic between Clint and Tyne Daly, that was the highlight of the film it was a lot of fun.

My current ranking is...
    Dirty Harry
    Magnum Force
    Sudden Impact
    The Dead Pool
    The Enforcer

Tightrope was a lot darker and sleazier than I remember, Clint bravely goes against his image of the time here. What effectively anchors/grounds Wes Block and the film is his relationship with his daughters, one of his daughters in the film was his real life daughter. The first act made me cringe a lot though overall this is a very good Neo Noir thriller, there was one thing at the finale I would have removed entirely as it was a bit hokey.

My planned next Clint Double bill is The Rookie and In the Line of Fire.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    The Rookie is a by the numbers cop/ action film; In The Line of Fire is Clint at the top of his game.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    talos7 wrote: »
    The Rookie is a by the numbers cop/ action film; In The Line of Fire is Clint at the top of his game.

I liked both films, I agree In the Line of Fire is the better of the two, its been a while since I watched either, I do remember Rene Russo being very good in the latter.
  • mattjoesmattjoes has three men to kill
    The Rookie is one of Clint's most OTT action films. I love it!
    I like THE ROOKIE a lot. It’s way OTT (think of the Mercedes going out the window) but it’s a lot of fun.

IN THE LINE OF FIRE for my money is the single greatest Clint Eastwood film ever made. One of the best suspense/action thrillers of the 90s (and of all time) and John Malkovich basically steals the film from everyone and for my money is one of the greatest screen villains of all time. How Tommy Lee Jones won the Oscar in ‘93 and not Malkovich (who was nominated) is beyond me! A criminally underrated piece of cinema.

I know that Clint is mostly known for either Dirty Harry or the Man with No Name (certainly his 2 most iconic characters) but IN THE LINE OF FIRE is the one I would pick to watch in a jiffy. Whenever it’s on it just hooks me right in. Can’t just turn it off.

Just like Stallone’s 2 most iconic roles are Rocky and Rambo, the film that is my favorite of his is CLIFFHANGER. Another superb action thriller from ‘93!
    edited June 11 Posts: 24,776
    I am watching For a Few dollars More, man the pipe scene with Lee Van Cleef is incredible, the tension is off the chart, I forgot Klaus Kinski was in this film.

Clint is such a badass bounty hunter in this film. Eastwood and Van Cleef one of the best team ups in cinema.

Indio is completely out of his mind, Gian Maria Volontè wold have made a great Bond villain.

I find it difficult to pick an outright best film from Leone's FFOD, FAFDM, TGTBATU and OUATITW as they are in the top ten best westerns ever made for me, they each offer something different.

FAFDM is definitely the main inspiration for Red Dead Redemption.
    edited August 8 Posts: 24,776
    the_good_the_bad_and_the_ugly_4k_14-2048x1152.png

The Good The Bad And The Ugly is top tier cinema, you don't watch this film you experience it. The three main characters are three of the very best, I love Blondie's and Tuco's reluctant partnership. The back drop of the American Civil War adds a lot of emotional depth to this film, one minute my eyes are welling the next i have a broad smile thinking this is the best scene I ever watched in any movie.

The cinematography and score is out of this world, one of Clint's very best if not the best. The 4K remaster of this film is very impressive, my other bluray looks very color muted in comparison.

The Good The Bad And The Ugly is top tier cinema, you don't watch this film you experience it. The three main characters are three of the very best, I love Blondie's and Tuco's reluctant partnership. The back drop of the American Civil War adds a lot of emotional depth to this film, one minute my eyes are welling the next i have a broad smile thinking this is the best scene I ever watched in any movie.

The cinematography and score is out of this world, one of Clint's very best if not the best. The 4K remaster of this film is very impressive, my other bluray looks very color muted in comparison.

I watched it the other day, utter joyous watch! Epic with a capital E! The finale in the graveyard is simply wonderful, with Morricones magnificent score! I must upgrade it to 4k though!
    edited August 8 Posts: 24,776
    Mathis1 wrote: »

I watched it the other day, utter joyous watch! Epic with a capital E! The finale in the graveyard is simply wonderful, with Morricones magnificent score! I must upgrade it to 4k though!

One of my favorite scenes is when Blondie and Tuco take on Angeleyes goons, what is so great about this film is it is a 3 hours build up to the finale. When we get to the cemetery the audience is so invested the tension is at its max I am not sure any film can compete, and then the score kicks in The Ecstasy of Gold is one of my all time best tracks..

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly - Sad Hill Cemetery Revisited 2023 - Sergio Leone, Clint Eastwood

This is from last year it is pretty cool what they have done here, watch the bonus section at the end.
    edited September 8 Posts: 24,776
    A MAN NAMED EASTWOOD - HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER - Behind The Scenes - The Making Of