The bad movies you love

Comments

BAIN123 wrote: »
    I'll whisper this very quietly.

(I saw The Phantom in the cinema)

As bad as this film is I do like the nods to Bond: namely the villain called Drax and a minor character called Dr. Fleming.

I saw it in the cinema too. AND that was my favourite movie that summer.
  • BAIN123 wrote: »

So did I!

*shouting*
    Ludovico wrote: »

As bad as this film is I do like the nods to Bond: namely the villain called Drax and a minor character called Dr. Fleming.

I saw it in the cinema too. AND that was my favourite movie that summer.

I enjoyed it too, but I was 11 at the time. The cinema was fairly empty though sadly.

Saw it again at some point last year when it was on tv. Fairly well made visually but my dominant thought was "god that love interest is awful".
    It is an extremely naive movie. The plot is also pretty thin and too many ripoff of Indiana Jones. Still The Phantom was my favourite comic book character as a child so I was thrilled at 19 to see a movie adaptation of it.
  • Billy Zane is a highlight. He was pretty debonair with the ladies and deft with the one-liners. He really should have become more of an action star.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    It is an extremely naive movie. The plot is also pretty thin and too many ripoff of Indiana Jones. Still The Phantom was my favourite comic book character as a child so I was thrilled at 19 to see a movie adaptation of it.

It's written by the same person.
    Loved it. But of course, I'm a sucker for pulp action. Plus, Catherine Zeta-Jones and Kirsty Swanson. It certainly was better than Batman and Robin, that's for sure.
  • Gerard wrote: »
    Loved it. But of course, I'm a sucker for pulp action. Plus, Catherine Zeta-Jones and Kirsty Swanson. It certainly was better than Batman and Robin, that's for sure.

As this is the thread for it, I might as well say that I find Batman & Robin endlessly watchable. If you're going to watch and enjoy a bad movie, you may as well go whole hog.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

Me too!

I actually think it's a very underrated movie. Great fun and even though it riffs on Indiana Jones, it's inventive and witty.

Me too!

I actually think it's a very underrated movie. Great fun and even though it riffs on Indiana Jones, it's inventive and witty.

True but the Phantom has been around far longer than Indiana Jones An I might add that its long history in itself might be some feeding ground for the Indiana Series itself.

It is a movie I really enjoy everytime I see it.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    SaintMark wrote: »

Me too!

True but the Phantom has been around far longer than Indiana Jones An I might add that its long history in itself might be some feeding ground for the Indiana Series itself.

It is a movie I really enjoy everytime I see it.

Yeah true. I used to love the Phantom comic strips. Great character.
    While The Phantom does have many, many flaws, I think that it can only just qualify as a bad movie. Maybe it is truly more naive than bad.
    What about the Jean Claude Vanne Damme Street Fighter?

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    GHOSTBUSTERS 2016

BAYWATCH 2017

absolutely love every second of them
    220px-Cyborgposter.jpg

I know it's a terrible movie, but I LOVE Cyborg. Besides Bloodsport (which is a legitimately good movie), it's almost my favorite Van Damme movie!

It actually used to scare me as a little kid! As a 6 year old, just the apocalyptic concept alone was frighting to me-- especially near the end when Van Damme and the girl are both running from the cannibals through that marshy area; JCVD kept stopping to fight one, allowing another to get closer, and so on until he was overwhelmed.

cyborg31.jpg

I kept shouting at the screen 'Don't stop! Keep running!'

chrisisall wrote: »
    Trancers I & II are pure bad fun.
    I love Trancers too! Tim Thomerson should do another one, lol
    I can't believe he was only 38 in the first one! He must be like my dad: he got that white hair early!
    Did anyone see 'Kung Fury'? I can't be the only one who thought that was Tim as the police chief. I was so sure I even looked at imdb.

200_s.gif
    The Phantom

It gets a lot of **** flung at it, but I enjoy it.

The Phantom is good fun. I think my favorite part was when he was mid-chase and bumped into a woman, and stopped to pick up her purse! :))
    Also Treat Williams cracked me up- the dude was made of pure cheese!
    GHOSTBUSTERS 2016

BAYWATCH 2017

absolutely love every second of them

Glad to see some GB love! I saw it in the theater for my wife's birthday; I was neutral but she was really looking forward to it. We both ended up loving it!

Haven't seen Baywatch yet but it looks hilarious!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Movies-That-Suck.jpg
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Thunderfinger, exactly how I feel anymore. I can't discern if it's me getting older, or if I'm just a pissy Negative Nancy with more films, shows, games, et cetera these days.
    I think we are more difficult because there was a time (I turned 40 in April) when access to movies was fairly scarce, so we watched more cheap/bad stuff for entertainment. There were plenty of poor man's James Bond, Star Wars, Superman, Lord of the Rings, etc. which we learned to appreciate and love because it was the only thing available on TV one weekend, or because the choice at the local video shop was so limited.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    That is a good point.
    Thanks. It struck me recently that a lot of bad movies I love I do for nostalgic reasons. And back then I did not feel cheated about watching one because many were B movies in a time when there were not as many big budget ones. I was more forgiving. Now if a big budget movie is bad, they have no excuse.
  • IGotTheMessageIGotTheMessage United States
    edited June 2017 Posts: 194
    Well, there are a number of dumb movies that I like:

National Treasure
    The Fifth Element
    Mr. Deeds
    Armageddon
    Honey, I Shrunk The Kids
    Jumanji (more silly than dumb)
    The Sandlot (also more silly than dumb)
    The Little Giants
    Beethoven
    Cutthroat Island
    Waterworld

Many more children's films that are "silly," like Balto, Treasure Planet, Titan A.E. E.t.c.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I wouldn't consider Honey, I Shrunk The Kids bad. In fact I think it's very good. In fact it's one of my favorite movies.
    MnpDMUgl.jpg
    Honey, I shrunk the kids is definitely not a bad movie. Not my favourite kids comedy but definitely not a bad movie.
  • mattjoesmattjoes has three men to kill
    What about the Jean Claude Vanne Damme Street Fighter?
    Quick, change the channel!

...because soon the world will be in the loving grip of the Pax... Bisonica.
  • IGotTheMessageIGotTheMessage United States
    @Murdock
    @Ludovico

You are probably right. Like a number of the films that I thought of, it is more goofy and outlandish than it is bad.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    220px-Cyborgposter.jpg

I know it's a terrible movie, but I LOVE Cyborg. Besides Bloodsport (which is a legitimately good movie), it's almost my favorite Van Damme movie!

It actually used to scare me as a little kid! As a 6 year old, just the apocalyptic concept alone was frighting to me-- especially near the end when Van Damme and the girl are both running from the cannibals through that marshy area; JCVD kept stopping to fight one, allowing another to get closer, and so on until he was overwhelmed.

cyborg31.jpg

It's been years since I've seen Cyborg but I loved it as a kid. Time Cop, Double Impact, Universal Soldier, and Cyborg are my top Van Damme movies.
    Arnie and Commando :D

Which is a brilliant movie and so much fun.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2017 Posts: 23,883
    SaintMark wrote: »

Which is a brilliant movie and so much fun.
    **Arnie with almost incomprehensible thick Austrian accent (and grotesquely mispronouncing Sully)**:

"Remember Sollie, when I promised to kill you last? I lied!!"
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    220px-Cyborgposter.jpg

cyborg31.jpg

It's been years since I've seen Cyborg but I loved it as a kid. Time Cop, Double Impact, Universal Soldier, and Cyborg are my top Van Damme movies.

What about Sudden death ?