Eric Serra - 'The music of Goldeneye'

124»

Comments

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    bcalou wrote: »
    But I also believe that it had to be a one time affair. I can't imagine TND scored by Serra!

I love practically all of the Bond scores and I wouldn't replace any of them. Perhaps have Barry score the entire DN one, but that's about it.

Glad Serra's GE seems to have more fans than ever. It's one of my absolute favourites. I'm also a big fan of his Luc Besson scores.

• mattjoesmattjoes has three men to kill
    I agree with you both, I'm happy to have this score.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited May 25 Posts: 24,689
    Bond scores generally excel though I am not a fan of Newman's work overall, though to be fair Newman does have a few standout moments especially in Skyfall, The Chimera is very good in that it evokes an emotional response in me, much of Newman's score is mediocre for James Bond.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Bond scores generally excel though I am not a fan of Newman's work overall, though to be fair Newman does have a few standout moments especially in Skyfall, The Chimera is very good in that it evokes an emotional response in me, much of Newman's score is mediocre for James Bond.

Newman's about the only one whose work I don't like in the series - and for him to return and essentially regurgitate some of the very same tracks in SP? Huge disappointment.

Having said that, his 'Skyfall' track really is brilliant. I remember the sense of foreboding and doom it gave me the first time I saw the film in theaters.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited May 26 Posts: 1,884
    I wasn't a fan of Newman's Bond scores before, but I've come to like them now. Every composer's got strength and weaknesses. In NTTD, the action music is superb, but Newman's romantic and atmospheric feel is missing.
    Also, I don't think Newman's style is far away from Serra's, because they both aim for the unorthodox.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I thought Newman was great: he nailed a big luxurious, lush, sophisticated and stylish sound for Bond but without just aping Barry etc. They sound like Bond but in a new way. I love his scores- I much prefer the feel of them to Arnold's Craig scores: he just makes the films feel higher quality to me. Arnold's scores are a touch thin in comparison to my ear.
    I'd really take issue that he didn't do romantic or atmospheric: his pieces for characters like Severine are dripping in old school romanticism and his atmosphere for environments like Skyfall (the bleakness and sombre feeling he got out of that arrival cue are dripping in atmosphere I don't think we'd have got from anyone else).
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou, but I now hear a new dog barkin'
    @mtm, I think you misunderstood @SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷'s posting. He said that in NTTD Newman's romantic etc. feel is missing...because Newman did not score NTTD. But it was there in SF and SP.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 26 Posts: 16,000
    You're quite right, I beg your pardon @SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ - I read that wrong. I do agree entirely.
    The NTTD score isn't bad; it's nicely big and bombastic which a Bond score should be, but you're right that's it's missing those things. I think it's quite interesting that it takes elements from both the Newman scores and Arnold ones: it feels like an odd mix of the two (whilst not really adding all that much). But I don't mind the lifts from OHMSS at all.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Newman's about the only one whose work I don't like in the series - and for him to return and essentially regurgitate some of the very same tracks in SP? Huge disappointment.

Having said that, his 'Skyfall' track really is brilliant. I remember the sense of foreboding and doom it gave me the first time I saw the film in theaters.

SP was a very lazy cut and paste rehash of SF, I find Newman a bit drab and too restrained for Bond,

I remember the first time watching SF in the cinema, many times during the film I was calling for the music to ramp up and go for it.

My opinion may have some bias as SF and SP are two of my lowest ranked films in the series.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    No problem, @j_w_pepper @mtm :)>-