Marvel Cinematic Universe (2008 - present)

Comments

That being said, I love all these characters and Superman (Reeve) is my hero, my guy and those 2 Donner films capture the essence and magic of who the character is but lately WB/DC have given audiences a reason to lose hope and faith in them and to be angry and show a dislike for the brand because they're the ones not doing their jobs properly. It's hard and in most casrs not possible to appreciate something that is so obstinately adhering to failing on the most fundamental level. Disney/Marvel do not have this major problem.

Richard Donner only directed the 1978 film, "SUPERMAN THE MOVIE". Richard Lester directed "SUPERMAN II" and "SUPERMAN III". I was not impressed. I don't who directed "SUPERMAN IV". Needless to say, I was not impressed.

Warner Bros/DC have given audiences a reason to lose hope and faith of who the character is? Really? Which audience are you talking about? If you're talking about yourself, okay. But if you're talking about other moviegoers, I think you're making a big assumption. For every fan who disliked the recent portrayal of Superman, there is a fan who loves it. I've encountered fans who either love or hate the new DC films. There is no ONE opinion on the films.

And to be brutally honest, I was very unhappy with the latest Marvel film, "CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR". I thought the Steve Rogers character and those who are close to him - Bucky Barnes, Sam Wilson and Sharon Carter - were nearly pushed to the background as far as character development is concerned. By allowing Robert Downey Jr. to be the co-lead . . . in a Captain American film, he nearly dominated the film thanks to the script and I ended up getting pissed off. You may think differently. Fine. But that is how I feel.

In fact, ever since 2012's "THE AVENGERS", it has been a mixed bag for me. I really enjoyed "THOR 2", "CAPTAIN AMERICA 2", "GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY" and "ANT-MAN". I have mixed feelings about "IRON MAN 3", "THE AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON" and "CIVIL WAR".
    DRush76 wrote: »
    That being said, I love all these characters and Superman (Reeve) is my hero, my guy and those 2 Donner films capture the essence and magic of who the character is but lately WB/DC have given audiences a reason to lose hope and faith in them and to be angry and show a dislike for the brand because they're the ones not doing their jobs properly. It's hard and in most casrs not possible to appreciate something that is so obstinately adhering to failing on the most fundamental level. Disney/Marvel do not have this major problem.

Richard Donner only directed the 1978 film, "SUPERMAN THE MOVIE". Richard Lester directed "SUPERMAN II" and "SUPERMAN III". I was not impressed. I don't who had directed "SUPERMAN IV". Needless to say, I was not impressed.

Warner Bros/DC have given audiences a reason to lose hope and faith of who the character is? Really? Which audience are you talking about? If you're talking about yourself, okay. But if you're talking about other moviegoers, I think you're making a big assumption. For every fan who disliked the recent portrayal of Superman, there is a fan who loves it. I've encountered fans who either love or hate the new DC films. There is no ONE opinion on the films.

And to be brutally honest, I was very unhappy with the latest Marvel film, "CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR". I thought the Steve Rogers character and those who are close to him - Bucky Barnes, Sam Wilson and Sharon Carter - were nearly pushed to the background as far as character development is concerned. By allowing Robert Downey Jr. to be the co-lead . . . in a Captain American film, he nearly dominated the film thanks to the script and I ended up getting pissed off. You may think differently. Fine. But that is how I feel.

In fact, ever since 2012's "THE AVENGERS", it has been a mixed bag for me. I really enjoyed "THOR 2", "CAPTAIN AMERICA 2", "GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY" and "ANT-MAN". I have mixed feelings about "IRON MAN 3", "THE AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON" and "CIVIL WAR".

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

Richard Donner only directed the 1978 film, "SUPERMAN THE MOVIE". Richard Lester directed "SUPERMAN II" and "SUPERMAN III". I was not impressed. I don't who directed "SUPERMAN IV". Needless to say, I was not impressed.

The 2 Donner films I spoke of were the original film and Superman 2: The Richard Donner cut.

Warner Bros/DC have given audiences a reason to lose hope and faith of who the character is?
    Really? Which audience are you talking about? If you're talking about yourself, okay. But if you're talking about other moviegoers, I think you're making a big assumption. For every fan who disliked the recent portrayal of Superman, there is a fan who loves it. I've encountered fans who either love or hate the new DC films. There is no ONE opinion on the films.

Yes really and i'm not assuming anything. What you've encountered is anecdotal which amounts to a zero sum. There is far more and overwhelming evidence that at least supports what I'm saying. MoS was critically a mixed bag at best and with a budget of $225million sans marketing couldn't even break $700million. It's the least grossing movie of the DCEU and the film itself was riddled with so many problems that it's planned sequel then got turned into Vs movie where he didn't even get top billing. They needed batman in there to bring in the money and on paper that sounds like a great idea; BUT the film was shit. The movie fundimentally was reactionary to fan complaints, the original cut was 4 hours long, the movie spent time trying to course correct the mistakes of MoS while ironically making things worse and making a bunch of new mistakes, the majority of reviews from critics AND Audiences from all over the world were both poorly recieved, and what's worse, in the BvS thread I documented the BO takings of the film that showed just how terrible the movie was. The film opened in all markets simultaneously, had no competition and had the easter holidays to take advantage of. After the first week; it was as if people just were not going out to see the film. The majority of BvS' BO was made in that first week and the weekly drops were beyond shockingly bad when you consider the aforementioned factors that should have worked in its favour. Now, these are stone cold hard facts and not sweeping statements, assimptions or anecdotal evidence.

Next, with all the media and audience backlash BvS recievef WB/DC decide to release a director's cut. They release this during this abomination if a movies theatrical run. It's sad, desperate and shows these guys don't know wtf they're doing. Furthermore, this whole fiasco facilitated an executive shakeup and restructuring over at WB. So, explain to me with all this going on, how am I making assumptions exactly?

It's the same with Suicide Squad, in conjunction with all that I have documented here in previous posts, there are more than enough articles out there detailing the rubbish that went on in making that movie and again, taking a reactionary approach to cobble the movie together because of tge whole BvS fiasco. SS imo is a terrible movie and purely based on the level of standard movie making, it fails miserably. They even used the company that put together their trailers to edit and cut the movie. That right there says a lot. However, the film is doing well which was surprising at first but then it wasn't so surprising when you realise why. I said this before and I'll say it again, trash like Transformers make a tonne of money at the BO. In any case, Geoff Johns released a bunch of statements the other day that corroborate everything I've just said regarding the colossal errors that have plagued the DCEU; and ironically AND unsurprisingly enough, they're still fixated in addressing criticisms in a reactionary way instead of focusing on balancing tone, getting the characters right and telling a great story.
    And to be brutally honest, I was very unhappy with the latest Marvel film, "CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR". I thought the Steve Rogers character and those who are close to him - Bucky Barnes, Sam Wilson and Sharon Carter - were nearly pushed to the background as far as character development is concerned.

If you were unhappy with it then that's a shame but for the characters you mentioned, you do realise that they're supporting characters, right? And that they're developed enough within the context of the story being told, especially Bucky who was basically second or third lead. I don't really see what more development you want or need given the events of the film and within the time frame given.
    By allowing Robert Downey Jr. to be the co-lead . . . in a Captain American film, he nearly dominated the film thanks to the script and I ended up getting pissed off. You may think differently. Fine. But that is how I feel.

Why would you get pissed of though? There's no Shield organisation and by the end of Ultron, it's made clear that Cap's time is dedicated to being a full-time Avenger, which Tony is not only a part of but he's bank rolling the group. Tony has his reasons for supporting the Accords and Cap has his, there's obviously going to be friction and like Tony said, Cap's perspective on the Accords is askew because he's prioritising his personal feelings instead of remaining objective. Cap was making a dicey situation worse and Tony spent the majority of the movie trying to de-escalate matters; his role was never going to be limited to that of someone like Hawkeye's. I'm not sure what your familiarity is like with the comics but Tony played a much bigger part and came off as being a hated character in the comics. The film did a great job adapting the source material.

These films aren't perfect and they're not going to please everyone. You enjoyed Thor 2, I didn't but these films are operating on a level and have an appeal that WB/DC can't seem to grasp and that's my issue with them. It's the same thing with what Fox are doing/have done with that last fantastic 4 movie. Disney/Marvel aren't doing anything miraculous that can't be done by any other major studio, they're simply doing their jobs competently, it's that simple yet, WB/DC are finding it incredibly difficult.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    doubleoego wrote: »
    and what's worse, in the BvS thread I documented the BO takings of the film that showed just how terrible the movie was.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    However, the film is doing well which was surprising at first but then it wasn't so surprising when you realise why. I said this before and I'll say it again, trash like Transformers make a tonne of money at the BO.

Double standards-twice as good as normal standards.
    These films are profitable, that's never been up for debate but suicide squad has done financially better than I expected (I had this movie finishing at $650million) but it doesn't make what I said any less true. Its got nothing to do with double standards but acknowledging the circumstances and factors contributing to successes and failures. Either way the DCEU was/is in trouble and the movies thus far have underperformed critically and financially; if they weren't they wouldn't be scurrying around having executive restructures, releasing director's cuts of a movie while the theatrical cut still plays in theatres and WB wouldn't have had to appoint Geoff Johns and Jon Berg as co heads of DC films to course correct the DCEU. The former was heavily involved with the post production of suicide squad and given his recent comments from a few days ago, he doesnt inspire much confidence in things getting drastically better. If we are to be talking about any "standard" it's that WB/DC are subpar.
  • Seeing this pic just moments after finishing the movie

14359014_1120779131348299_8308529514117233806_n.png?oh=d70f8374f69f4248d7479f690c8c870e&oe=5841A58A
    It s funny because it s true.

Luke Cage is already getting great reviews and it seems Cottenmouth is going to be another fantastic villain.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    DOCTOR STRANGE - UK Featurette

• edited September 2016 Posts: 533
    Yes really and i'm not assuming anything. What you've encountered is anecdotal which amounts to a zero sum. There is far more and overwhelming evidence that at least supports what I'm saying. MoS was critically a mixed bag at best and with a budget of $225million sans marketing couldn't even break $700million. It's the least grossing movie of the DCEU and the film itself was riddled with so many problems that it's planned sequel then got turned into Vs movie where he didn't even get top billing. They needed batman in there to bring in the money and on paper that sounds like a great idea; BUT the film was shit. The movie fundimentally was reactionary to fan complaints, the original cut was 4 hours long, the movie spent time trying to course correct the mistakes of MoS while ironically making things worse and making a bunch of new mistakes, the majority of reviews from critics AND Audiences from all over the world were both poorly recieved, and what's worse, in the BvS thread I documented the BO takings of the film that showed just how terrible the movie was. The film opened in all markets simultaneously, had no competition and had the easter holidays to take advantage of. After the first week; it was as if people just were not going out to see the film. The majority of BvS' BO was made in that first week and the weekly drops were beyond shockingly bad when you consider the aforementioned factors that should have worked in its favour. Now, these are stone cold hard facts and not sweeping statements, assimptions or anecdotal evidence.

This is NOTHING to me. Do you really think I give a rat's ass about box office performance? Do you honestly think my opinion will sway over box office reports? Are you kidding me? I am not that myopic or narrow minded.

So what if there are people who disliked the DC Comics movies - film critics included? You seemed so busy focusing on box office performance that you've blinded yourself to the fact that there are people out there who actually liked "Man of Steel" and other DCEU movies. There are people who liked them and there are people who dislike them. Why do people like you think you can accurately judge a film based upon opinions and box office performance? I've never heard of anything so ridiculous in my life. It's one thing to simply like or dislike a film. It's another to assume that everyone - and I mean EVERYONE - shares your opinion. And by the way, box office performance is not always a sign of a movie's quality. There have been plenty of highly regarded films that started out as box office failures or originally received bad reviews. And I have seen plenty of box office flops that I have ended up enjoying.

As for film critics, I had stopped paying attention to them a long time ago and I don't regret it.A lot of other people have done the same. If I had continued to blindly adhere to the opinions of film critics, I would have missed out on a good number of films that I ended up enjoying very much.

I'll repeat myself. If you disliked the DCEU movies . . . fine. But don't think you can judge how every moviegoer feel about them. You don't know. And I don't know. All that matters is how we individually feel about them. And that goes for the Marvel Films as well.

Personally, I was disappointed in "Captain America: Civil War", regardless of it being the most successful comic book movie this year at the box office. I wanted a Captain America movie and got an Avengers film with what I saw were a good number of plot holes and badly used characters. You probably feel differently about the movie. Fine. You do. We have different opinions. It would be nice if we can leave it at that. But something tells me that will not happen.

Why would you get pissed of though? There's no Shield organisation and by the end of Ultron, it's made clear that Cap's time is dedicated to being a full-time Avenger, which Tony is not only a part of but he's bank rolling the group. Tony has his reasons for supporting the Accords and Cap has his, there's obviously going to be friction and like Tony said, Cap's perspective on the Accords is askew because he's prioritising his personal feelings instead of remaining objective. Cap was making a dicey situation worse and Tony spent the majority of the movie trying to de-escalate matters; his role was never going to be limited to that of someone like Hawkeye's. I'm not sure what your familiarity is like with the comics but Tony played a much bigger part and came off as being a hated character in the comics. The film did a great job adapting the source material.

Because I didn't want a Captain America movie in which Robert Downey Jr. half-dominated the film, or a Captain America movie in which Iron Man is the co-lead. This would have never happened in an Iron Man film. I didn't want to sit inside a theater, watching Tony Stark deal with his man pain in a Captain America movie. Because of his large presence in the film, I felt that a good deal of Steve Rogers' personal story arc was nearly sacrificed or rushed. That's why I got pissed off. This is how I feel and nothing you or anyone else can say that will make me change my mind.
    Sam Neill has told Robert Elms he’ll make an appearance in Thor: Ragnarok.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p047zbjg

This is NOTHING to me. Do you really think I give a rat's ass about box office performance? Do you honestly think my opinion will sway over box office reports? Are you kidding me? I am not that myopic or narrow minded.

So what if there are people who disliked the DC Comics movies - film critics included? You seemed so busy focusing on box office performance that you've blinded yourself to the fact that there are people out there who actually liked "Man of Steel" and other DCEU movies. There are people who liked them and there are people who dislike them. Why do people like you think you can accurately judge a film based upon opinions and box office performance? I've never heard of anything so ridiculous in my life. It's one thing to simply like or dislike a film. It's another to assume that everyone - and I mean EVERYONE - shares your opinion. And by the way, box office performance is not always a sign of a movie's quality. There have been plenty of highly regarded films that started out as box office failures or originally received bad reviews. And I have seen plenty of box office flops that I have ended up enjoying.

As for film critics, I had stopped paying attention to them a long time ago and I don't regret it.A lot of other people have done the same. If I had continued to blindly adhere to the opinions of film critics, I would have missed out on a good number of films that I ended up enjoying very much.

I'll repeat myself. If you disliked the DCEU movies . . . fine. But don't think you can judge how every moviegoer feel about them. You don't know. And I don't know. All that matters is how we individually feel about them. And that goes for the Marvel Films as well.

Personally, I was disappointed in "Captain America: Civil War", regardless of it being the most successful comic book movie this year at the box office. I wanted a Captain America movie and got an Avengers film with what I saw were a good number of plot holes and badly used characters. You probably feel differently about the movie. Fine. You do. We have different opinions. It would be nice if we can leave it at that. But something tells me that will not happen.

Because I didn't want a Captain America movie in which Robert Downey Jr. half-dominated the film, or a Captain America movie in which Iron Man is the co-lead. This would have never happened in an Iron Man film. I didn't want to sit inside a theater, watching Tony Stark deal with his man pain in a Captain America movie. Because of his large presence in the film, I felt that a good deal of Steve Rogers' personal story arc was nearly sacrificed or rushed. That's why I got pissed off. This is how I feel and nothing you or anyone else can say that will make me change my mind.

Haha, you need to calm down, buddy. Why so serious? You've said a lot without saying anything at all really; other than the fact that you clearly don't understand the importance of the box office and you've confused yourself on a number of things.

If people like something I don't, good for them. I don't begrudge them that, as you seem to think; and I don't care about changing your mind on anything. Either people agree on things or they do not BUT when facts and truths are introduced to advocate a certain position and you still want to be contrary about it, that's your prerogative. I
    I've informed on how things work and the need for studios to see good returns. It's not rocket science or infringing on your personal taste; it's basic math. If a product is universally regarded as disappointing or rubbish and fails to generate enough revenue after investing ridiculously huge sums of money into it, what do you think is going to happen? What do you think is going to happen if said product continues a trend in being a disappointment, what's going to happen to the brand?
    I didn't like suicide squad but guess what; it's made over $719million world wide; with reports from industry insiders and those from WB citing Margot Robbie as the USP. Studios, you know, those responsible for making these films DO care about this stuff which is why they're now fast tracking a Harley Quinn solo movie before a suicide squad 2 and a man of steel 2. So you can rant all you like but thanks for the chuckle :-bd
    Jessica Jones season 01 stands above anything else from the Marvel universe. that will be all.
    I mean like far above. :)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Exactly 1 month left until 'Doctor Strange' (release date is Oct 26th here). Really can't wait to check this out in cinemas.
    Marvel Has Already Filmed the Next Four Stan Lee Cameos

Speaking at a Q&A following a screening of Captain America: Civil War this weekend, Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige revealed that Lee flew down to Marvel’s production home in Atlanta, Georgia to film not one, not two, but four of his upcoming cameos in one day.

“We do not shoot random ones. They’re always very specific,” Feige said of the Stan Lee cameos (via Cinema Blend). “A couple of months ago in Atlanta, he flew down and we shot four in one day — for four various projects. They’re all awesome! They’re all totally different. And he was unbelievable. He was on fire. He came in, he sat here, he stood there, he stood in this window, and then he went home.”

The next four films on Marvel’s release calendar are Doctor Strange on November 4, 2016, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 on May 5, 2017, Spider-Man: Homecoming on July 7, 2017, and Thor: Ragnarok on November 3, 2017. However, it’s possible that Lee already shot his Doctor Strange cameo while the film was in production in London, meaning his other cameo could be for either Black Panther or Avengers: Infinity War.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/769999-marvel-has-already-filmed-the-next-four-stan-lee-cameos#hUq3QX38hXqszQdA.99
    New badass Luke Cage trailer

I'm so pumped for this!
    New doctor strange trailer

Mr Doctor rocks.
    Winston Duke to Play M’Baku in Marvel’s Black Panther

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/771385-winston-duke-to-play-mbaku-in-marvels-black-panther#/slide/1

This guy is great in person of interest. Big presence, intimidating and a very good actor. Perfect.
    edited October 2016 Posts: 11,139
    From Empire

tumblr_oe9scmYG0V1sqvhueo1_540.png

tumblr_oe9scmYG0V1sqvhueo2_400.png tumblr_oe9scmYG0V1sqvhueo3_400.png

tumblr_oe9scmYG0V1sqvhueo5_400.png tumblr_oe9scmYG0V1sqvhueo4_400.png

tumblr_oe9scmYG0V1sqvhueo6_400.png tumblr_oe9scmYG0V1sqvhueo7_400.png

tumblr_oe9scmYG0V1sqvhueo8_400.png tumblr_oe9scmYG0V1sqvhueo9_400.png
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The next Marvel Netflix show, Iron Fist gets a March 17, 2017 release date.
    edited October 2016 Posts: 11,139
    Excellent can't wait for IF. Also the Punisher has started filming. The Punisher was one of the best things about DD season 2.
    @doubleoego early 2017 is shaping up very nicely, what with this new Netflix show, and films like John Wick 2, King Arthur, The Dark Tower, Live by Night, Baby Driver, Sleepless, The Great Wall, Wolverine 3, Trainspotting 2 and Kong: Skull Island.
    Yes, 2017 is going to be a very packed year. Couple all those and other movies coming out with a plethora of TV shows and I may find myself needing regular trips to the optician.
    Teaser for "Iron Fist" :

Forest Whitaker joins Blank Panther.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited October 2016 Posts: 28,694
    Forest Whitaker joins Blank Panther.

Holy crap. This movie is going to be out of control! Can't wait.

I think when Black Panther comes out, it'll be right up there in quality and impact as Winter Soldier. And I don't think that's a bold statement to make at all, looking at the cast and crew.