Marvel Cinematic Universe (2008 - present)

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Wow, that's a big shock. I wonder what the creative differences were, considering nothing is off limits for Wade.

I've a sneaky suspicion it was something to do with casting.

@CraigMooreOHMSS, for which character? Cable?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited October 2016 Posts: 8,173
    Wow, that's a big shock. I wonder what the creative differences were, considering nothing is off limits for Wade.

@0Brady, it sure seems to be the big one at the moment with a lot of names in the hat. I can certainly see that being a hot argument behind the scenes considering there are a lot of ways they could feasibly go with Cable in this universe.

I wonder who will ultimately get selected for the role.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Seems to be the big one at the moment with a lot of names in the hat. I can certainly see that being a hot argument behind the scenes considering there are a lot of ways they could feasibly go with Cable in this universe.

I feel like the issues have to be story related. It's just weird to hear of a departure from the director, because all signs pointed to a fast and easy return for the sequel.

Of course this is implying the break was bad, which doesn't have to be true. It could have been an amicable parting of ways, it's just that nowadays when these kids of "creative differences" drive people apart on film projects the drama gets so ramped up in the reporting of it that you don't know what to think.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Seems to be the big one at the moment with a lot of names in the hat. I can certainly see that being a hot argument behind the scenes considering there are a lot of ways they could feasibly go with Cable in this universe.

I feel like the issues have to be story related. It's just weird to hear of a departure from the director, because all signs pointed to a fast and easy return for the sequel.

Of course this is implying the break was bad, which doesn't have to be true. It could have been an amicable parting of ways, it's just that nowadays when these kids of "creative differences" drive people apart on film projects the drama gets so ramped up in the reporting of it that you don't know what to think.

Considering how totally and utterly f#cked that universe is, I'd be happy to have Deadpool go off on its own tangent completely when it comes to the films. It might not be what a lot of fans would like, but trying to mesh it in with X-Men's nonsense timeline would undercut what made the first film a lot of fun.

I do hope that isn't an issue on the second film.

Considering how totally and utterly f#cked that universe is, I'd be happy to have Deadpool go off on its own tangent completely when it comes to the films. It might not be what a lot of fans would like, but trying to mesh it in with X-Men's nonsense timeline would undercut what made the first film a lot of fun.

I do hope that isn't an issue on the second film.

That's an interesting point, and the connecting of the timelines could be the issue, with Ryan right in the middle of Miller and the studio trying to mediate.

Fox's stuff is easily the least appealing fare superhero wise, for sure. And now they're losing their secret weapon in Hugh Jackman's Wolverine, who they could randomly stick in any film they weren't confident in to put butts in seats. The future doesn't look bright for Fox's universe, especially after the diminishing returns of the X-Men films with audiences recently and the previously mentioned loss of Jackman. Let's not even throw the rubbish timelines on top of that, just to give them a bit of a break.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited October 2016 Posts: 15,708
    Heading to see 'Doctor Strange' right now. Can't wait to see those 'fantastic' action sequences!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I highly recommend this film - in my top MCU films with 'Winter Soldier' and 'Guardians of the Galaxy'. The action scenes are off the charts and the cast very charismatic. I wonder where they'll go if they do a 'Dr Strange 2'. Always a joy to discover a new Michael Giacchino soundtrack - get this man for Bond!!
    Oh great, @DaltonCraig007, what am I to do now? Winter Soldier is about top of the list for me as far as Marvel goes, and GotG is way down...:-))
    I´ll do the only sensible thing and see for myself next week.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Same here.
    I've heard Dr. Strange is mid-table. Not outstanding, but not disappointing. A visual treat that does the job, if not overdoing it.
    I watched "Dr. Strange" too. I agree with DaltonCraig007. It's one of MCU better movies.
    Ps. The Cloak of Levitation was... AMAZING :D
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited November 2016 Posts: 11,139
    Saw Doctor Strange yesterday in IMAX 3D, it's a fantastic film. The acting is great, the visual effects are beyond incredible (defijitely see this in IMAX 3D)and I was pleasantly surprised at how inventive and cool the action/fight scenes were....and yes, the Cape of levitation is so bloody cool. I think this is essily one of Marvel's better solo films and so far continues the trend of Marvel not just making good films but 2 films into phase 3 now and my hopes and expectations for the trend to continue have gone up considerably.

8.5/10

Great to hear! @doubleoego, where would Dr. Strange fit into your Marvel rankings?
    That's a tough question to answer. I'd have to think about it but it definitely falls into the top 7.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited November 2016 Posts: 1,257
    Stuckmann gives Doctor Strange a B+

By all accounts, this film will one hell of a visual treat.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited November 2016 Posts: 1,257
    So I saw Doctor Strange last night and I really enjoyed it, particularly Benedict Cumberbatch's performance.

I was opposed to Cumberbatch being cast as Dr. Strange, mainly because I was just so tired of seeing him all over the damn place, but he was excellent in the role. This character is so rich with potential. I can't wait to see him interact with the rest of the MCU characters.

No one else in the cast really stood out to me as being as strong as Cumberbatch but they all filled their roles very well... with the exception of Tilda Swinton. She just felt so out of place. Whitewashing aside, I simply didn't buy her as a wise and powerful sorcerer.

The film itself isn't perfect though. I felt some parts were very rushed or clunky, and a lot of the humor fell flat in my theater. The film still gets roughly a B- rating from me though, but Cumberbatch definitely gets an A
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I just saw Doctor Strange today. Not as good as Civil War (my favorite MCU film) but a solid film, up there with the best the universe has to offer, certainly. Just the right amount of humor, not excessively as in Age of Ultron, and very good performances. The cameo at the end was quite a pleasure.
    The Cloak of Levitation steals the show, I have to say. If you had a laugh at Mjolnir in Thor: The Dark World trying to follow Thor whenever he went into a portal, the Cloak's antics will probably have you rolling on the floor as it savagely beats a man's head in the background of a scene.

There were some characters I felt wasted, though. Rachel McAdams' character didn't really seem to have a purpose, though she played every scene well. Some of the background sorcerers would have benefited from a little bit more screen time. The two credits scenes were quite good, the second one setting up what I hope is an excellent sequel.

Not the best MCU film of the year, but it was never going to be. The stakes (though higher in a sense) aren't as game-changing as Civil War's, but the movie effectively brings magic into the universe in a way that works better than you'd think it would. The film had a lot going against it and succeeded quite well.
    If it's not as good as Civil War then it must be pretty bad
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    That would obviously depend on your opinion.
    Doctor Strange is a very good and enjoyable film. The introduction of the character, the mystical arts and the multivariate are handled spectacularly and although I expected the film to be good, I was pleasantly surprised at just how very good the film turned out. I'm really excited and looking forward to seeing Doctor Strange interact with the likes of Tony Stark and more of the other Avengers as well as Thanos himself.
    Just saw Dr. Strange, enjoyed it but the ending was meh.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I was going to see it this weekend, but it was sold out. Going next weekend instead.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Dr. Cumberbatch sells it which isn't Strange at all.
    Another hit for Marvel, deservedly.
    Very much so.
    Doctor Strange Composer to Score Spider-Man: Homecoming

Over the weekend, rumors swirled that Marvel Studios‘ Kevin Feige had accidentally spilled the beans that Doctor Strange composer Michael Giacchino was also doing the score for Marvel and Sony Pictures‘ Spider-Man: Homecoming. Now, Giacchino has confirmed that is indeed the case.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/783819-doctor-strange-composer-to-score-spider-man-homecoming#a91CZDwcmIMUXp9u.99

Excellent news!
    Oh yeah! That'll be one to listen to endlessly!
    Giacchino's a damned fine composer. If he could score the rest of the MCU, I could die a happy man.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    They need to get Alan Silvestri back as well. He gave the Avengers a wonderful theme.
    I just wish he'd blended some of the other Avengers' themes in as well. Cap's theme was there, but only because he'd also scored The First Avenger.
    Murdock wrote: »
    They need to get Alan Silvestri back as well. He gave the Avengers a wonderful theme.

He will be. He's scoring the 2 Avengers: Infinity War films.