The MI6 Community Religion and Faith Discussion Space (for members of all faiths - and none!)

Comments

It's almost as if the bible was written by men who did not know that Australia existed?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited January 2018 Posts: 9,117
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    I'll simply bend to your superior knowledge, as is always the case, in this thread at least.

Well I was taught both plate tectonics and continental drift theory in a Catholic school. So if even they are being forced to admit it I tremble in fear at where you are getting your 'facts' from.

I was an 'A' Level Geography student; got an A grade. I know that. Mine was a Protestant school, but still.

So care to answer my question as to how marsupials migrated to an island continent after being dumped on Mt Ararat?

Or how even got to the ark before the flood came in the first place?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited January 2018 Posts: 18,210
    I'll simply bend to your superior knowledge, as is always the case, in this thread at least.

Well I was taught both plate tectonics and continental drift theory in a Catholic school. So if even they are being forced to admit it I tremble in fear at where you are getting your 'facts' from.

I was an 'A' Level Geography student; got an A grade. I know that. Mine was a Protestant school, but still.

So care to answer my question as to how marsupials migrated to an island continent after being dumped on Mt Ararat?

Or how even got to the ark before the flood came in the first place?

The ark came first, before the plate movement?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I thought the matter of plate tectonics was settled long ago.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I thought the matter of plate tectonics was settled long ago.

I see what you did there.
    So at the risk of asking a stupid question approximately when are you dating Noah's ark and Pangea separating into the continents?
    So at the risk of asking a stupid question approximately when are you dating Noah's ark and Pangea separating into the continents?

I've no idea. It's not my field of expertise.

Might as well throw in the dinosaurs as well now:

https://www.ucg.org/the-good-news/where-do-the-dinosaurs-fit

Well you just claimed an A level in geography and that's more than sufficiently qualified to know that continental drift was around 200m years ago.

So I guess the big question is: is that plank of wood you claimed a few pages ago was proof of Noah's ark over 200 million years old?
    When you are in a hole, don't dig.

You might as well say at this point that the Ark was some kind of TARDIS that was much bigger inside and that it traveled through time to get all the animals before the Flood. However absurd this explanation is, it still makes more sense than some elderly man building a big boat of wood and getting every single animal species on the planet on the same one.

Question @Dragonpol do you bother reading or watching the links we send?
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Question @Dragonpol do you bother reading or watching the links we send?

But the links we post don't always have the word 'Christian' somewhere in the name of the website so why would you trust something that didn't have a blatantly skewed agenda on a subject?

Well you just claimed an A level in geography and that's more than sufficiently qualified to know that continental drift was around 200m years ago.

So I guess the big question is: is that plank of wood you claimed a few pages ago was proof of Noah's ark over 200 million years old?

You'll have to forgive me on my Geography knowledge. It was a good few years ago!
    Ever heard of google? You can get the basic facts in two mins.

Oh, I thought you knew all of this stuff off the bat?

Oh, I thought you knew all of this stuff off the bat?

No I'm humble enough to say I don't have all the answers, but then I'm not a bible reader am I?

Although a basic grasp of plate tectonics merely marks someone out as not being an idiot. It's hardly indicative of a degree from Oxbridge.
    Google comes up with some great info...

https://www.icr.org/article/78/
    patb wrote: »
    Google comes up with some great info...

https://www.icr.org/article/78/

I love how the slightest gap in scientific knowledge is seen as a gap for the bible's version of events to rush into and fill as proven fact.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I studied Religious Studies at University, it taught me never to discuss religion certainly online.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 4,602
    The classes must have been a little quiet.

"The first rule of religious studies is never to talk about religious studies"
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited January 2018 Posts: 24,886

Quite the opposite intense argument and debate
    Lack of discussion always favours the present/default position. Imagine if we had not discussed slavery, evolution, witch burning etc. Discussion leads to knowledge and knowledge leads to progress.
    Lack of discussion always favours the present/default position. Imagine if we had not discussed slavery, evolution, witch burning etc. Discussion leads to knowledge and knowledge leads to progress.

Fair point though I guess I got dissallusioned and also no disrespect such discussions on here won't change the world, though you made me remember discussing things amongst ourselves can be a positive if we learn to understand and respect different people's points of view.
    I'm covinced there is a ripple effect. People should at least consider their own stance rather than just wonder around like zombies. Any opportunity for open and honest discussion is a good thing IMHO.

Religion is steadily declining in many western cultures and discussions like these must take some credit.
    I'm covinced there is a ripple effect. People should at least consider their own stance rather than just wonder around like zombies. Any opportunity for open and honest discussion is a good thing IMHO.

Religion is steadily declining in many western cultures and discussions like these must take some credit.

The irony is Religion is rife as it has manifested itself into Celebrity worship amongst other things, I could take this further though I wont
    Celebrities exist. Worshipping someone who exists is real progress IMHO
    Celebrities exist. Worshipping someone who exists is real progress IMHO

It's a observation not a critism
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    edited January 2018 Posts: 7,582
    Out of interest, and to give the thread a bit of diversity, how do people feel about the more impassioned faith followed by those of the Islamic persuasion?

They have their God and use him to justify their actions a good deal more than Christians do. Where people brought up in Christian countries can question their God is that true of Muslim countries? Can they opt out? Do they opt out?
  • NicNac wrote: »
    Out of interest, and to give the thread a bit of diversity, how do people feel about the more impassioned faith followed by those of the Islamic persuasion?

They have their God and use him to justify their actions a good deal more than Christians do. Where people brought up in Christian countries can question their God is that true of Muslim countries? Can they opt out? Do they opt out?

Basically two sides of the same coin to me, it's just that one spread and developed through the Western world a lot earlier so it's ended up being forced to progress/compromise more than the other. I don't see either as more believeable/unbelieveable than the other, and while Islam is more fundamentalist and is leading to more deaths currently, there have been plenty of atrocities and murders carried out in Christianity's name too.
    Yes, I wasn't trying to suggest any exclusivity. Christianity has run amok in past centuries, and individuals carry out their crimes these days having been spoken to by God. I get all that, but we are in an age now where Islam is making the western world more than a little nervous.

Do Muslims who carry out their crimes hide behind their God as an excuse for their actions, or do they really believe they are doing what they do for God? Their religious fervour is a curious thing, but |I do wonder if many secretly have no real belief, but are perhaps too scared to show it.

Religious debates among believers is like arguing whether Deckard is a replicant or not. For a fan of Blade Runner it's interesting if not essential. For an outsider it's meaningless.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 7,582
    Ludovico wrote: »

Religious debates among believers is like arguing whether Deckard is a replicant or not. For a fan of Blade Runner it's interesting if not essential. For an outsider it's meaningless.

41 pages for this thread suggest otherwise @Ludovico ;)
This discussion has been closed.