The MI6 Community Religion and Faith Discussion Space (for members of all faiths - and none!)

Comments

• Risico007 wrote: »
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Plenty of atrocities have been carried out in Christianity's name too.

Plenty more by Athiests too.

Yeah. But I'm sure that crimes carried out in the name of Atheism (not saying there haven't been any, I'm sure if I googled it I'd be able to find an example of some neckbeard nutjob shooting up a church or something) are few and far between compared to the violence religion has caused.

Yeah the whole Holocost and Pots child revolt not to mention the Russian revolution and chinas communist revolution are few and far between... oh wait no they aren’t and the deaths in any one of these I believe eclipses the crusades...

Don't know enough about the other examples to comment but mind explaining how the Holocaust is an example of an atrocity carried out in the name of Atheism?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Atheists can commit atrocities but few use their atheism as an excuse.
  • DarthDimi wrote: »

Exactly what I was trying to say. Really don't think you can pin the Holocaust down on Hitler's atheism. I'm assuming @Risico007 you're on about the anti-semetic aspect but can we really put that down to Hitler being an atheist? Don't remember reading about how the Christian population were rounded up.
  • A bit of reading tells me that long term Hitler saw organised religion as a whole and Nazism being unable to coexist. Even so, it isn't really fair to equate being an atheist with Nazi ideology imo. The Holocaust was part of Hitler's attempt to remake the world in his image, and he happened to be an atheist, but you can't blame it on atheism in general. The atrocities carried out on religious grounds would have never happened without those religions, while the holocaust would have never happened without Hitler. Even if he did believe in a higher power it doesn't mean he still wouldn't have seen all those groups as subhuman.
    As an atheist Hitler believed in survival of the fittest and felt the Jewish populations genes were weaker then pure German ...

Like I said we can ignore the obvious but I am willing to admit Christians have done horrible things are you guys willing to do the same
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Exactly what I was trying to say. Really don't think you can pin the Holocaust down on Hitler's atheism. I'm assuming @Risico007 you're on about the anti-semetic aspect but can we really put that down to Hitler being an atheist? Don't remember reading about how the Christian population were rounded up.

Hitler did round up the many Christians who spoke out against his regime and its actions however. Many of them were executed, in fact.
  • Risico007 wrote: »
    As an atheist Hitler believed in survival of the fittest and felt the Jewish populations genes were weaker then pure German ...

Like I said we can ignore the obvious but I am willing to admit Christians have done horrible things are you guys willing to do the same

I don't see what his atheism has to do with how he viewed the Jewish population though. He thought they were subhuman but wasn't that to do, like you said, with genetics rather than their religious beliefs?

I don't think anyone is claiming Atheists haven't done horrible things, but like @DarthDimi said, them using their beliefs to justify this is very rare. I don't think it's unfair to say that atheism as a concept/idea has caused less violence than organised religion.
    Again I reiterate the idea of evolution purification is directly related to atheism and even still the communist revolutions in China and Russia shall we ignore them as well where the direct belief was the government is your religion and there is no god (sounds like a paradise perhaps Wizard you should honk to vacation in Cuba or North Korea all the romantic honeymoon spots)

As a historian this thread makes my head hurt ignoring obvious points and then asking the same question inspite of be evidence seriously it’s down right ridiculous

GOOOD DAY
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 15,028
    Risico007 wrote: »

Hitler was a Catholic. He never renounced his faith and princes of the Church were invited to his birthday party when he was Fuhrer. Of the fascist leaders in Europe only Mussolini was an atheist and he still made a deal with the Vatican. Franco was even a practicing Catholic! Nazi antisemitism was also nourished by centuries of Christian antisemitism. And it had both religious and ethnic roots: Freud was an atheist and so were many people of Jewish descent. They'd still be undesirable in Germany at the time.

So thank you for a good example of Godwin's Law. But seriously what kind of historian are you? That's not ancient history so you could get your fact straight for this at least. Same with your rambling about North Korea: when you have a deicised leader de facto you have a theocracy. Christopher Hitchens used NK as an example of what heaven looked like for crying out loud!
    Atheism is the absense of belief. Its a void, a vacuum. Those with religious beliefs try to put atheism into a more positive role and then blame it for other peoples actions when, in reality, actions are motivated by positive beliefs rather than a lack of belief.

Anyone who tries to blame atheism for actions of mass murderers etc is just showing, yet again, that they fail to understand what atheism is. Or they dont want to understand it as they idea that people kill in the name of religion does not fit in with their agenda that religion is a wonderful thing so they want to "level the playing field" and hold up a lack of belief to the same moral scrutiny as a belief system.

It's a logical as trying to defend Nazi's by saying that people that were "anazi" (a lack of belief in the Nazi ideology) also did bad things.
    Exactly. Atheism is a specific stance on a specific claim. It's not an ideology, political or otherwise. You can have right wing atheists, left wing atheists, etc. Many atheists nowadays, but certainly not all, are also secular humanists. This is my case and the case of most atheists posting here.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 4,602
    I dont think atheism is a specific stance. Its the default postion an anything until you see evidence that it exists.

@Ludovico I dont have a specific stance on the invisible dragon in your garage or on anything else that has no evidence to support it. The default is a lack of belief and everyone, including those of religion, uses this strategy. Thats what's so frustrating, Religious people know exactly what its like to be an atheist as they apply the same rules to all other things that have no evidence to back them up.

Does an adult christian believe in Father Christmas? No, as there is no evidence. Do they try to give Father Christmas believers a level playing field? (as you cant prove he does not exist), would they read books, would they enter into online debates etc. Would they demand respect and equal opportunities? Would they support Father Christmas supporters clubs not paying tax? No, because they know its a ridiculous, childish claim that can be disregarded within a fraction of a second.

But, with God, their rules are different.
    I should have said it's a specific position maybe but the point remains: it's a disbelief in God or gods. I think we're arguing semantics here @patb as I agree with you.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Julie T.
    You know who I pray to?

joe_pesci_4.jpg

He looks like a guy who can get things done.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Getting pretty desperate now. Trying to cut a plea bargain for your religion that it's not so bad because other people do bad shit too? So that vindicates Christianity and makes it something worthy of respect does it?

'Ian Brady what have you got to say in your defence?'
    'Why are you getting at me? I only killed 5. Go after Fred West first he was in double figures.'
    'You're quite right, I guess you're not so bad after all mate.'

Pathetic.

Hitler did round up the many Christians who spoke out against his regime and its actions however. Many of them were executed, in fact.

Was that because they were Christian or because they spoke out against his regime? Either way he wasn't killing them in the name of atheism. The point is that Hitler, Pol Pot, Stalin etc were following Nazi, Khmer Rouge, Communist ideologies not an atheist one. Their atheism is as relevant to the debate as their hair colour.

Whereas the Crusades, the Inquisition, The Vatican's acquisition of huge wealth, Sunnis v Shiites, Wahhabists, ISIS are all done specifically in the name of their 'God'.

As @patb and @Ludovico have already said you can't do something in the name of atheism because atheism just stands for nothing, an absence. I am an atheist because the evidence of the existence for God is so bereft of merit as to make it laughable not because I worship and pray to a vacuum. We have no holy books or silly rituals and rules to adhere to. The only real tenet of atheism is question everything but that's not something that is exclusive to atheists; it should be something every intelligent human does.

Getting pretty desperate now. Trying to cut a plea bargain for your religion that it's not so bad because other people do bad shit too? So that vindicates Christianity and makes it something worthy of respect does it?

'Ian Brady what have you got to say in your defence?'
    'Why are you getting at me? I only killed 5. Go after Fred West first he was in double figures.'
    'You're quite right, I guess you're not so bad after all mate.'

Pathetic.

Was that because they were Christian or because they spoke out against his regime? Either way he wasn't killing them in the name of atheism. The point is that Hitler, Pol Pot, Stalin etc were following Nazi, Khmer Rouge, Communist ideologies not an atheist one. Their atheism is as relevant to the debate as their hair colour.

Whereas the Crusades, the Inquisition, The Vatican's acquisition of huge wealth, Sunnis v Shiites, Wahhabists, ISIS are all done specifically in the name of their 'God'.

As @patb and @Ludovico have already said you can't do something in the name of atheism because atheism just stands for nothing, an absence. I am an atheist because the evidence of the existence for God is so bereft of merit as to make it laughable not because I worship and pray to a vacuum. We have no holy books or silly rituals and rules to adhere to. The only real tenet of atheism is question everything but that's not something that is exclusive to atheists; it should be something every intelligent human does.

And I'd add to that and remind those who like to be victim of Godwin's Law that Hitler was a Catholic, Himmler was a practicing Catholic, the Nazis had "God Mitt Us" on their buckle belt, etc. Thinking that Nazi Germany was atheistic is a malicious lie.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I feared that the dreaded "Atheists committed atrocities too" argument was flying down the pipeline. And each time those arguing for it never make enough sense and cherry pick or twist things to serve their warped viewpoint the way they do with their own faith in the bible. Hence, an identifiable pattern of behavior.

Atheism is a lack of faith or belief in anything supreme in the universe, so if an atheist committed a crime what would they be committing said crime in the name of as Christians have done for God and Muslims Allah? If you don't believe in God and commit a crime, it's a neutral crime from a theological standpoint as no text or god has motivated such a response in you. There's no Atheistic pamphlet calling groups monstrous or sinful like the bible, so no easy targets are being made for the atheists to murder indiscriminately. It's difficult to then tie intent in committing a crime to a belief in something driving that specific action when the person in question has none of the beliefs you're attempting to use to equate them to Christians during the Crusades and other parts of history.

The only argument that could even begin to be made against our side is that the atheist's lack of belief in a god empowered them to act in a murderous fashion, knowing that with no God there would be no final judgement or consequence for them. Except of course the law we have in place to punish any who commit crimes, especially violent acts motivated by cruel intent or belief. But it's not an argument you could hang your hat on, is it? I can't think of any atheist in history, or in general, that you would be able to charge with killing because of their atheism for the reasons I outlined above. With no supreme authority motivating a person to go on a rampage in sacrifice to said god, and no belief in their hearts of anything relating to the supernatural or god-like in general, only a weak and awkward case could be made at best.

Because any atheist committing a crime with no calling to a god is really no different than a bank robber, panty raider or common criminal on the street who strive to achieve quick success and financial surplus using any means possible. These parties could all act and commit crimes without holding the beliefs Christians do, yes, but those beliefs (or lack thereof) also have no distinct bearing on their actions in any way that could be adequately confirmed, especially in a court of law. Just imagine a judge asking questions of a defendant...

Judge: "Sir, have you been motivated by god or religious dogma to kill as you have?"

Defendant: "I don't recognize this 'God' you speak of, your honor."

Judge: "So a lack of God drove you to murder, then?"

Defendant: "No, I just did it. I can't be driven to do something due to a belief in nothing."

The only reason atheists tackle those of faith on the same issue is because Christians and Muslims in particular make it so obvious what their driving motivation is when they act against other groups. Muslims praise Allah as they explode markets and kill innocents on a trip to those 72 virgins, and no Christian protest against gays are complete without at least one sign saying "God hates faggots" with the corresponding bible verse cited underneath it. That's not to mention all the groups of the past who committed crimes in the deluded assurance that, whatever they did, their god stood with them. The case is heavier against those of faith committing violent actions or hate crimes because in the perpetration of the acts they make it clear through undisguised and clear language what is motivating them to do such a thing, tying the act directly to the text or dogma of their religion. With atheists, this critical texture of evidence is absent in every case I am familiar with and it's near impossible to make a solid case as noted above.
    It’s a good point that atheists rarely commit crimes in the name of atheism as opposed to the many crimes that have been committed in the name of religion. However, I don’t think it’s any better for an atheist to kill without any dogma than for a religious person to kill with a dogma. If it’s the same crime it doesn’t really matter why, because someone is still dead regardless of the reasoning. Unfortunately though, there’s no disputing a lot of murders and other crimes could have been stopped if not for religion.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    offences.png
    offences.png

What the heck; death and fine, for the last?

offences.png

Which legal system is this?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Sharia. Get used to it.
    Sharia. Get used to it.

Not if I have anything to do with it. We don't want it in the UK.
    Sounds like tyranny anyway.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    offences.png

I think if I got convicted under 295C I'd probably tell them to shove their fine up the prophet's arse
    edited February 2018 Posts: 18,210
    offences.png

I think if I got convicted under 295C I'd probably tell them to shove their fine up the prophet's arse

We'd be disappointed in you if you didn't.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    FoxRox wrote: »
    It’s a good point that atheists rarely commit crimes in the name of atheism as opposed to the many crimes that have been committed in the name of religion. However, I don’t think it’s any better for an atheist to kill without any dogma than for a religious person to kill with a dogma. If it’s the same crime it doesn’t really matter why, because someone is still dead regardless of the reasoning. Unfortunately though, there’s no disputing a lot of murders and other crimes could have been stopped if not for religion.
    Atheists rarely commit crimes in the name of atheism simply because there's nothing to commit a crime in tribute to. As for an atheist killing without dogma and a religious person being driven by it, nobody here was arguing that the former was better in any way, obviously. We're just arguing that actual cases are easily made against religion given the obviousness of motive, and a lack of that presence in the crimes of those who are atheists defy such judgements.

Not that atheists are easily identified anyway, though. We don't get crosses to bear or t-shirts with our spiritual and supreme overlord on them. Which would be nice, but our freedom from dogma is a satisfactory enough prize. ;)
    The rightful convergence of religion and politics:

I think we should stray from any system where faith meets government control and policy. That's how you get anti-gay laws or popes from history who were kings in all but name.
    I think we should stray from any system where faith meets government control and policy. That's how you get anti-gay laws or popes from history who were kings in all but name.

I wasn't advocating that in the first place. Especially not popery.
This discussion has been closed.