Any non-Bond film.....Comments while you watch...

Comments

Bogie is already getting pissed as a crew member has his shirttails out and looks like a slob.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 16,055
    Fred MacMurray thinks Bogie is full of s***.
    Bogie is reaming everyone out for being incompetent officers.

"Your best, Mr Keith, is only a maximum of inefficiency!"

Great line.
    Meanwhile the Caine runs over it's own tow-line.

Bogie screwed up.
    Bogart has some great facial expressions in this scene.
    Now he denies his action and blames faulty equipment. YES!!!!!!!
    I've got a DVD version of this one and am wondering what the Blu-ray must look like.
    The transfer here looks similar to earlier VHS editions.
    Bogie is leading a landing craft to safety................and wusses out when they get shot at.
    I love this bit where Bogie obsesses over a gallon of strawberries.

Now MacMurray, Johnson and Francis are on their way to report that Bogie is nuts.
    MacMurray wusses out.
    Storm sequence- some decent, well noticeable miniature work here. I'll take it over modern CGI any day, though.

I've seen several Humphrey Bogart films in the cinema, but this is one I've never had the pleasure of enjoying in it's big screen glory.
    Van Johnson takes over!!!!

Now the crew will get charged with mutiny.

This is probably my favorite Bogart film shot in color (though THE AFRICAN QUEEN comes close).
    Jose Ferrer takes the case to defend Van Johnson.

Fred MacMurray's character reminds me of Gilbert on LEAVE IT TO BEAVER. He eggs everyone on and bails when they get in trouble.
    E.G. Marshall early in his career. Behind him sits Robert Bray, best known for his role on LASSIE, the driver in BUS STOP and as Mike Hammer in MY GUN IS QUICK.

All he has to do in this film is sit in the background.
    Jose Ferrer might have made a good Mike Hammer himself.
    Bogie takes the stand and is getting the 3rd degree from Ferrer.

Great performance here as he starts calm and slowly loses his cool.
    Bogie is getting pissed. LOL.
    Bogie's monologue. Great scene here.
    The crew celebrates their victory and Ferrer is about to tell MacMurray off. Another great scene.

I'd rank this one in my top 10 Bogart films.

Easily.
    Today is indeed the birthday of the late great Sir Christopher Lee. Yesterday was Peter Cushing's birthday.

Me not watching this today is as wrong as putting the gun-barrel at the end of a Bond film. Who does that?

So here it is................

HORROR OF DRACULA (1958)

Titles.....James Bernard's pounding score is definitive, IMO

now the dripping blood on the Count's crypt.
    John Van Eyssen is probably my favorite Jonathan Harker. He's no longer a real estate agent here, he's posing as an employee of the Count. A librarian. He's been sent by Prof Van Helsing (Cushing, of course) to determine whether the Count is indeed one of the undead and destroy him.
    Yes. Hammer took liberties with the story as well. Who cares?
    Beautiful sets here for the castle. Not the obligatory cobwebbed stone walled design in so many other films.
    This is the Warner Bros. DVD. I have yet to get the remastered Blu-ray. Only available in region 2 I understand.

Crap.
    Valerie Gaunt is lovely here...........

and there he is!!!!

CHRISTOPHER LEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Lee ascends the stairs by skipping several steps. With the cloak it gives an illusion he's floating.
    That cape was discovered in a costume rental shop in the U.K. about 10 years ago. Lee was contacted and gave the opinion it could very be THE cape he wore in the film.
    Lee's costume, IMO is accurate to Stoker. All black on this one. No lining in the cloak.
    I also loved the gray hair. A wig.
    Library scene...............Lee attacks Valerie Gaunt and kidnaps her.

Blood dripping from the lips and bloodshot eyes.

The famous close up of Lee here re-defined Dracula for the baby boomers.

From here on Dracula would be represented in merchandise with blood dripping fangs.
    Harker (unlike Trevor Eve) put up a good fight, but was no match for Dracula.

I love the desk Harker sits at as he writes in his journal.

Beautiful sets here. What I wouldn't give to see this on the big screen in a crisp 35mm print.

The new Blu-ray tweaked the colors and apparently looks too modern. Like TWILIGHT or something.