Which composer should score the soundtrack for BOND 26?

123457»

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I'd love to hear all of those demos though, including the melancholic stuff.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    The more I hear the orchestration and compositions of Tom Richards for Raye, I think this is the best duo to take Bond music forward. Tom orchestrated Raye's 21st Century Symphony at Royal Albert Hall, as well as, some of her latest singles covering classic standards of Sinatra and Simone. He blends Jazz and Orchestral music in a similar way to John Barry. I would encourage all to give his work a listen on Spotify, especially the work he has done with Raye.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Regarding Barry's involvement with The Incredibles, this is Barry agent Richard Kraft's account of what happened:

My last attempt at Barry glory came with a call from Brad Bird about his new film, THE INCREDIBLES.

Bird wanted a classic Barry/Bond score. The two of us nerded out imagining how cool it would be if Barry wanted to really tap back into that side of himself.

We talked about tracking down the same mics, amps and guitars Barry had used back in the 60s.

Barry and Bird hit it off and John was onboard for a huge Pixar animated film.

John and I flew to San Francisco for his first presentation of themes. I begged to hear them. John pulled out his Walkman and hit play.

It was one slow, melancholy piece after another.

“Where’s the Bond action music?”

Barry said he could write that in his sleep, that the real nut to crack was capturing the midlife angst of the superhero dad.

I wasn’t too convinced.

The next day I got the call from Brad Bird.

“Well, that was interesting. But I sure would like to hear some action music.”

To encourage that he sent Barry a storyboarded sequence of the the character of Dash being frantically chased.

Barry had never worked in animation. He was accustomed to working on final footage, not pencil tests and CGI roughs. The process grew frustrating for him and he wanted to quit the film. I begged him not to.

Brad was determined to make the best of the situation.

He suggested using Barry just to write some key themes and he would hire this young kid Michael Giacchino to adapt them into a score.

I negotiated a new deal, and Barry turned in a new batch of themes… all of them slow and none of them Bondian.

I was sure Bird was going to fire him. But Brad desperately wanted John to succeed and so did I. We were two fanboys who wanted our hero to soar again.

So we brainstormed and hatched a plan.

Brad had temp tracked the teaser for THE INCREDIBLES using Barry’s score to ON HER MAJESTY’S SECRET SERVICE. We approached John to score the trailer knowing it was less abstract since it contained finalized footage. And the music was pure Bond.

John reluctantly played me his demo.

It was really good!

My only comment was that for about four measures it veered off into something that somehow sounded like it was from some Western. An easy fix.

John sent it off as it was.

Brad Bird called me all excited. We were finally getting somewhere.

He called John to rave and to give him a single note, to change a few seconds that sounded like cowboy music.

With that, John quit the film.

(Source: https://perspectiveforum.net/2016/05/22/the-beyondness-of-things-my-bittersweet-relationship-with-barry-john-barry/)

Oh wow, I never knew this story! Thanks for sharing it! That's unfortunate it didn't work out.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 27 Posts: 16,000
    I'm not saying he would or should necessarily be a contender, but Chris Benstead's score for The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare is a lot of fun, mixing heavy Morricone influences with Barry.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    mtm wrote: »
    I'm not saying he would or should necessarily be a contender, but Chris Benstead's score for The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare is a lot of fun, mixing heavy Morricone influences with Barry.

Agreed on that. He's got great range from what I've heard so far.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    At times, James Newton Howard's score for Red Sparrow sounds James Bond and John Barry.
  • edited August 17 Posts: 3,249
    I have been impressed by Daniel Pemberton lately. His latest also has some Barry/Arnold vibes:
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    That is gorgeous.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Some elements are very similar to …