Would you rather have Kerim Bey OR Marc Ange Draco watching your back?

Comments

Entrapment isn't one of Connery's best. So Thomas Crown for me.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Entrapment would have benefited if it had both been filmed a decade or so earlier and featured an actress a decade or so older, making her 20 years closer to Connery.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    talos7 wrote: »
    Entrapment would have benefited if it had both been filmed a decade or so earlier and featured an actress a decade or so older, making her 20 years closer to Connery.

👍🏻 👍🏻 👍🏻
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited May 30 Posts: 6,099
    peter wrote: »
    I love Connery, couldn't stand this film. At all. So many things wrong with it.

Brosnan, on the other hand, fires on all cylinders, he's slick and fun, and, although I can't stand the way he dances with Russo, to me, it's his best performance (why EoN didn't try and nail John McTiernan as a Brosnan Bond director??? That's a missed opportunity, methinks).

Thomas Crown all the way.

Definitely Thomas Crown for me. I find Rene Russo effortlessly sexy in that film, and her chemistry with Pierce is palpable.

She's generally underrated and quite good in many films. And she's married to Dan Gilroy! She gets bonus points for being a former model who married a screenwriter--not the obvious choices of actor, musician, etc.
  • edited May 30 Posts: 929
    echo wrote: »

Brosnan, on the other hand, fires on all cylinders, he's slick and fun, and, although I can't stand the way he dances with Russo, to me, it's his best performance (why EoN didn't try and nail John McTiernan as a Brosnan Bond director??? That's a missed opportunity, methinks).

Definitely Thomas Crown for me. I find Rene Russo effortlessly sexy in that film, and her chemistry with Pierce is palpable.

She's generally underrated and quite good in many films. And she's married to Dan Gilroy! She gets bonus points for being a former model who married a screenwriter--not the obvious choices of actor, musician, etc.

I think she was trying too hard to be sexy. Sometimes she looks like a drunk mom.

• peterpeter Toronto
    echo wrote: »

Yeah @echo she took a chance on a scriptwriter— considering we are broke half the time, 😂.

I suppose in the end, she chose the (write) right writer. He ain’t doing too bad for himself, 😂!
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Entrapment is an interesting story with two actors that always peque my interest. Connery beeing Connery and Zeta Jones beeing one of the most beautiful, interesting and exotic actresses around at the time. Still, the chemistry is interesting but doesn't feel like lovers, more a sort of mutual respect. The story itself is, well, light.

The Thomas Crown affair is a heist-film with far more depth than you'd expect. Yes, it's a remake of the 1968 film, but it differs enough to solidly stand on it's own feed next to the original. Brosnan is no McQueen, and he's not trying to be. He creates his own 'Tommy', with a lot more human emotions and character. A fun loving business man who craves adventure, instead of a bored business man beeing selfish.

To me, Brosnan's Thomas is a character to take as an example in business.

All in all, The Thomas Crown Affair it is.

To my mind also one of Brosnan's best performances, next to 'the tailor of panama' and 'the foreigner'.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited May 30 Posts: 4,479
    Thomas Crown.

I can't remember or i watched it in cinema, but i watched the movie on rental dvd (Possible in late 2000 or in 2001, because movie is from 2 months earlier then Twine.) and couple of times on tv. It take till 2013 when i finaly buy dvd. 2004 re-release with same as 2001 release. I started in May 2013 with Bluray, but Bluray don't take over extra's (Audiocommentary, Documentry, Trailer, music video and booklet).

Mabey it is because DVD is not named SE but audio, subtitels and menu screen chooses options be in English, French and Italian what be the same as 18 SE from Bond but with this movie extra's not include subtitels at all. Not even English. Whyle with Bond SE's you have option for English French and Italian subs and even OHMSS include Eng subs on extra's. So mabey i hoped on better edition with more and subtiteld extra's.

There are dvd's from UK, Germany and Australia who include Dutch subtitels on the movie too and lot more other subs and stil curious or there be subs avaible on extra's (Audiocommentary, Documentry and mabey even trailer) of that version. With so much subs on movie it is possible of course that version mabey have English 384 track whyle with Dutch (and French version) the English tracks is in 448 and other two in 384.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Sir Sean in Entrapment. Him and Catherine Zeta Jones have great chemistry and are great on screen together

I do like the The Thomas Crown Affair though, Pierce is fantastic in it.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Mars Attack! Bigger role, better role, and more my kind of humour.
    I might confess it here: I find Robin Williams overrated as an actor, including as a comedic actor.
    Haha, I find him underrated, especially as a dramatic actor.

Agent_99 wrote: »
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    I suspect part of the reason I never took to Pierce as Bond is that I only knew him as that bloke who stole Robin Williams's wife. SO smarmy. Yuck.
    He did? I thought they were already divorced when Sally met Harry Pierce, a nice man by all accounts. I mean, I think they knew each other from before, but nothing had happened.

I was 14 or 15 when I watched it so I may have missed some of the subtleties. I just knew who I'd prefer to have as my dad :)
    But of course.

I actually prefer Robin Williams as a dramatic actor. When he does comedy I find in cringe most of the time. Really liked him in Insomnia and One Hour Photo though.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I like Entrapment, but The Thomas Crown Affair takes the cake for me. Superb chemistry between Pierce and Rene Russo, much better chemistry here than with for instance Yeoh in TND.

I see another superb Pierce performance is mentioned here as well: The Matador. Highly recommended, also from my part.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Thomas Crown. I find it superior to the original, to be honest.
    Thomas Crown hands down. Far superior film .
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Great stuff and interesting comments on both films and actors.

Lets have a fun one with Bond actors who starred in less than stellar movies.

I have not seen either film, but based on the scores they received from audiences and critics maybe I am not missing much. LOL!

Would you rather watch Sir Sean in The Avengers OR Sir Roger in Spice World?

For clarity, Sean didn't star in the Marvel films, this one was based on the classic TV series. He plays the baddie of the film out to control the weather!

986ca4d5d3eb6af0ed4d635b81874431.jpg

Roger played "The Chief" the head of the record label of the Spice Girls!

8311078d0a634125f9b64d9aaff189a4.jpg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I have a bit of a soft spot for The Avengers. It doesn't work but there's a kind of potential in there.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I haven't seen Spice World, so maybe that one. What's the film like? Too much, or something kinda funny?
  • edited June 1 Posts: 14,896
    I don't like what they did with The Avengers, but I think Sir Sean was the best thing about it, and i can't stand the Spice Girls, so...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Is it the only film where he got to wear a kilt? Deserves to be seen for that alone :D
  • mattjoesmattjoes At my most trollish behavior
    edited June 1 Posts: 6,902
    Catching up:

Entrapment over Thomas Crown.

I only recently watched Crown, and of course I had a fun time with it (Brosnan, Russo, Leary, Conti, the heists, the chase, the seduction...), but it doesn't reach the heights of Entrapment for me. It might grow in appreciation in the future.

Entrapment is such a cool movie. The two leads are just great together, the supporting cast too (Ving Rhames, Will Patton with a moustache and a jealous disposition!), the way the film flows, the locations, the heists, the fact that it's a big budget picture but feels very small and intimate, that delicious music score, the scene at the train station: that longing stare of Mac into the distance, set to that gorgeous melancholic piece... sheer magic! My favorite Connery film along with DAF.

---

By default, The Avengers over Spice World, because I haven't seen Spice World.

I enjoyed The Avengers. Connery was pretty good as a bad guy; there was a cruelty he successfully tapped into there. Love the weather plot (despite the fact you can tell cuts were made) and the teddy bear costumes. I also like the fact the streets are near deserted; it's not The Avengers if the streets are full of people.

I wouldn't mind watching Spice World, come to think of it. Run the question by me again in a couple of years time!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    The Avengers is a lol hot mess, but strangely watchable. Whereas I saw Spice World once, and my brain still hasn't forgiven me. And I like some of their songs, 😂!!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Entrapment is such a cool movie. ... My favorite Connery film along with DAF.
    This is where I was wondering if you were putting us on...but maybe you mean it and it's ok.

As for the new choice, I don't suppose I'd appreciate a movie about the Spice Girls (regardless of their music, which is a question of personal taste). Even if Sir Rog is in it. And I didn't think that The Avengers-the-movie lived up to expectations stemming from the '60s TV series, but for an act so hard to follow, they did a much better job than the critics acknowledged. So, yes, I'll pick Sean once more.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Entrapment is such a cool movie. ... My favorite Connery film along with DAF.
    This is where I was wondering if you were putting us on...but maybe you mean it and it's ok.
    Haha, I do mean it this time. Love these movies to death.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    @mattjoes Legit love for DAF. I like that. The soundtrack is 'deliciou-sly'.
    'The Avengers' was a mess, and Fiennes and Thurman miscast, but I'll have to choose it as I've never seen 'Spiceworld' and don't intend to either!
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Connery if a film is watched. Roger Moore is a joy to watch for his parts.

"Without something there is no nothing." (First 35 seconds)

"Leave the pigeons alone."

"When the rabbit of chaos is pursued by the ferret of disorder through the fields of anarchy, it is time to hang your pants on the hook of darkness. Whether they are clean or not."

"Does anybody want to resign?

"Rain or shine all is mine."
    edited June 1 Posts: 6,902
    QBranch wrote: »
    @mattjoes Legit love for DAF. I like that. The soundtrack is 'deliciou-sly'.
    It is!

Love the nodding.

"So, does anybody else want to drop out?"
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    That bear scene was the best one in the film for me; it actually is funny.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Okay lets turn back to the series and see what we would rather make a return in the next film or films.

Would you rather Bond return to smoking OR Bond return to being a cultural snob?

Both call back to the series roots and even the literary side of the character.

Bond smoked in the first 6 films and a few of the Roger movies. He returned to smoking for Timothy's portrayal.

Bond always knew the wines, the sherry's and the fragrances. He was apparently an expert of the finer things in life. Within the Craig portrayal that was nearly non-existent. Should it come back?
    Cultural snob. He already still drinks too much, so substance abuse is still sufficiently covered I'd argue. I like his expansive knowledge of things like fine dining, and wouldn't mind seeing him flex that again.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Cultural snob. He already still drinks too much, so substance abuse is still sufficiently covered I'd argue. I like his expansive knowledge of things like fine dining, and wouldn't mind seeing him flex that again.

Me too. In fact, I find that side of the character one of his coolest traits and I wish they brought that back more. Haven't had much of it lately, which is a shame.