SirHenryLeeChaChing's For Original Fans - Favorite Moments In NTTD (spoilers)

Comments

Birdleson wrote: »
    I like to cook (I spent eight hours last Sunday making my chili, nothing canned, takes a few days of reducing and freezing and back to get to the right place). I'll try she of these out.

I like to cook and I love my chili but what does this have to do with fixing a Bond film? Just asking...
  • OHMSS69 wrote: »
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I like to cook (I spent eight hours last Sunday making my chili, nothing canned, takes a few days of reducing and freezing and back to get to the right place). I'll try she of these out.

I like to cook and I love my chili but what does this have to do with fixing a Bond film? Just asking...

I think this is a reference to a posting a few weeks back listing SirHenry's favorite recipies...
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 3,564
    pachazo wrote: »
    This was a great idea @BeatlesSansEarmuffs.

- I think that I would give DAF a complete overhaul. First, I would magically convince George Lazenby to do one more film. Then I would change the script to make it more about a morose Bond seeking revenge on Blofled a la YOLT the novel. I could certainly live with Connery remaining in the film with my revised script but I think it would have been more satisfying to see George take Blofeld out.

- I would have also changed the focus of AVTAK to make it about an aging Bond and taking on one last mission before retirement. Personally, I think it would have worked wonders. I also could have lived with recasting Dalton as Bond here (OP was the perfect exit for Moore) but since I already went that route with DAF this would be my preferred choice.

As others have mentioned, there are countless aspects that I could change about DAD but I'm not even going to bother with that mess.

Okay, so if I interpret your changes correctly (as far as the system I have devised is concerned) you're making 2 changes to DAF (the casting and the script) and 1 change to AVTAK. Assuming I have @OHMSS69's changes correct as well, this puts DAF out ahead with 5 points, DAD in second with 4 points, and AVTAK tied with TMWTGG for third at 3 points each. LTK and TB both have 2 points and FYEO, GE, MR, TND, TWINE and YOLT are bringing up the rear with1 point apiece.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I'd be perfectly happy to have seen Wai Lin again.

Love to see the Wai Lin love. BTW, you *do* get her name, right? ;)

Um...I''m not sure what's to "get" so...maybe not. Enlighten me, please! :-/
    In urban slang, whalin' on someone is to beat the crap out of them.
    :))
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited November 2014 Posts: 12,480
    I thought you were going with "wailin'" like Bob and his Wailers. But that didn't fit Yeoh really. :D But yeah, I forgot that phrase "whaling" on somebody. I do sometimes pronounce my "g"s at the end. Only sometimes, though, and not when I am pissed off.
  • I was hoping that Brozbond & Michelle Y. were going to end the movie on board the Pequod, & head off to sea looking for Moby Dick... :))
    I was hoping that Brozbond & Michelle Y. were going to end the movie on board the Pequod, & head off to sea looking for Moby Dick... :))
    Didn't they? I definitely heard an "Oh James" there...
    :))
  • Okay, now that we've reached the weekend, I think it's time to wrap up this particular topic. Anyone else out there with a fix they'd like to have registered in our scoring, please try to post it by Sunday at midnight. I'll be following up next week with some observations on the results. Now to award OURSELVES a prize for the best fixes. Anyone OTHER THAN YOURSELF who posted a really great fix is eligible to receive your vote: tell us who you thought offered the best fix, and why their particular fix was so darn good. The top two vote getters will be awarded the title of Executive Coproducers for the Best Film Fix...essentially, our own Cubby Broccoli & Harry Salzman! Only one winner per voter, please...and one other thing: I'm not eligible! (I made up the game so I had an unfair advantage.) My vote goes to @CommanderRoss for his fix of DAF. One little change fixed multiple problems. Now THAT’s the way the game should be played!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Not sure if anyone posted it here, but I made the same topic a long while back, so here are some more additions from it:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/1290/fix-a-bond-film/p1
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 3,564
    Thanks for the link, @Creasy47...but there's a little too much there to assimilate into this particular "game." You're welcome to suggest 3 particular fixes for this thread if you'd like, though!

Also, I've heard from @OHMSS in a PM, making his 3 choices into fixes for DAF, TSWLM, and TMWTGG. That reduces TWINE's count by one and increases TMWTGG by the same amount in our official count. So the standings at this point are: DAF in front with five, DAD and TMWTGG tied for second with 4, AVTAK alone with 3, LTK and TB tied with 2, and FYEO, GE, MR, TND, and YOLT with 1 apiece.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 2,341
    Interesting to note that despite all the pain and haight we have for DAD, it is DAF that most of us agree that it needs a major "fix".

Well, DAD really would be the one I would fix the most. DAF a close second; it had potential to be so much better. MR I don't even care much about, sad to say.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    @BeatlesSansEarmuffs -

Sorry old boy, Plenty does nothing for me. I know shes meant to be vacuous and annoying, but it's not something I want from a Bond girl. Plus, the screenplay would be a tad cleaner - no mystery about Plenty's drowning and what not.

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I'd like to nominate @birdlson with his chili ;-)
    Ok, perhaps not. Then @OHMSS69 for his TSWLM fix. I've always thought it to be a weak story and this sounds far more interesting
  • I think DAF is getting the most votes because it's the one we most want to GREAT, it being Sean's last official appearance as Bond (leaving NSNA aside as so many of us prefer to do.) I personally like Plenty because of Wood's chemistry with Connery...and because her ejection into the pool is so memorable!

The screenplay actually told us why Plenty ended up at Tiffany's and why she was killed by Wint & Kidd...at least one crucial scene was actually filmed and is available in the "Special Edition" DVD...but it was left on the cutting room floor in the editing process. This film could have easily been so much better, and the fact that such a mess was made of it due to slipshod efforts from certain hands, is just a crying shame. And that's another reason why it's doing so strongly in this discussion!
    I don't mean to go off point here but in regards to Plenty's death. Since they cut the key sequences that would explain why she was floating in Tiffany's pool, then why even have that pool scene in the film? They could have picked it up where Bond is confronted by Tiffany and make no reference to Plenty's corpse.
    That was a big problem with DAF, shoddy editing and crappy narrative, and a crap story to begin with.

forgive my rant.
  • Not at all off point, @OHMSS69! The question of what needs to be done to fix particular films -- and even if they're fixable at all -- is precisely on-point in this discussion! Obviously, a lot of people want DAF to have been a better movie than it was -- the question at hand is, why try to fix one film over another? It's easy to say, "I'd fix this film, and this one, and thatandthatandthat..." The point of specifying no more than 3 fixes was to see what people would choose to fix, and what they would leave alone.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I think someone once said that DAF was a worse film then DAD becouse it could've been so much better so easily, and I am inclined to concur. Still, DAD's worse though, but the feeling that a film could have been in a completely different league if they just had payed a little bit more attention is pestering.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Just as a coda to our remembrance here of Greg I have dedicated my latest article on The Bondologist Blog to his memory:

http://thebondologistblog.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/anthony-burgess-on-spy-who-loved-me.html

This article is dedicated to the Memory of Greg Ferrell (SirHenryLeeChaChing on MI6 Community) (1961-2014) who sadly passed away in January 2014. Sad and sorry that I was not able to send those new Bond blog articles you were interested in to you, Greg.

--Dragonpol.
    It makes sense that DAF is a worst film and needed more fixing than DAD. But lets faceit at the time DAF was very popular! I guess everyone was so blinded by the glitter of seeing Sean back in the saddle that many movie goers overlooked the flaws.

Not me, I hated the film from day 1.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I think what it comes down to is that DAD is unfixable, whereas DAF is not.
    That is a kind gesture, @Dragonpol. Thank you! :)

DAD or DUD? DAF or DAFFY DUCK? Well, I think perhaps DAD is not quite really fixable. DAF could have been made better with less extensive changes.
  • I think what it comes down to is that DAD is unfixable, whereas DAF is not.

Pardon? That's completely bogus in my opinion. All they would have had to do with DAD was to stay on the track the movie had taken from the PTS to Cuba. Skip the Vanish,forget about the surfing scene and loose the DAF like satellite and you have a honest spy thriller. It's also worth noting that the only real plot hole in DAD is that Graves made it from a non existence to someone to get decorated by the queen.
    Matt_Helm wrote: »
    I think what it comes down to is that DAD is unfixable, whereas DAF is not.

. All they would have had to do with DAD was to stay on the track the movie had taken from the PTS to Cuba. Skip the Vanish,forget about the surfing scene and loose the DAF like satellite and you have a honest spy thriller. It's also worth noting that the only real plot hole in DAD is that Graves made it from a non existence to someone to get decorated by the queen.

Pardon? That's completely bogus in my opinion. The film went off the tracks starting with the gunbarrel. Actually it went off the tracks even before that. In my opinionion.
  • @Thunderfinger: I take it your opinionion has many layers to it?

Let's play nice, everyone. We're in SirHenry's topic thread now. You don't have to be an Original to post here, but we should all treat each other with respect. Honest differences of opinion are perfectly fine, but snarkiness is unnecessary.

There's still time to post your 3 fixes if you'd like, also to make your nominations for best fix. I'll be posting my summations over the weekend and the lovely and talented 4EverBonded will be resuming her moderation of this thread shortly after that. Thanks for playing, everybody!
    FYEO. Lose the hockey game.
    AVTAK. Lose the facelift.
    GE. Put Dalton in it.
    Re-reading everyone's posts for this fun game that Beatles came up with, and I'll give my nomination later today. Thanks for the great participation and good suggestions to "fix" some Bond films. :>

And chrisisall, I just now (while re-reading these) got your joke. (a little slow this past week ...) ;)
  • Current standings: DAF is still in the lead with 5, while the field bunches up behind it -- AVTAK, DAD, and TMWTGG each have 4, FYEO, GE, LTK and TB each have 2, and MR, TND, and YOLT are also in the running with 1 fix each. There are only 11 of the potential 23 Bond films currently in contention, possibly a little surprising to my mind -- where are the fixes for the shaky-cam in QoS or the balloon Kananga in LALD? We will declare a end to the competition at the end of the day on Sunday, so let's hear from the rest of you while there is still time!
    And chrisisall, I just now (while re-reading these) got your joke.
    I was going for subtle.

It worked rather well. :)