Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (30th June 2023)

Comments

• TheSkyfallen06TheSkyfallen06 Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    edited August 2023 Posts: 1,065
    mtm wrote: »
    Was it mentioned here that one of Mangold's original ideas was that the film would be called
    Indiana Jones and the Magical Mystery Tour? :)

Indiana Jones and The Magical Mystery Tour
    In 1939, Dr. Jones is told by his colleagues about a circus that is believed to be a front to hide a ring of pirates with the aim of stealing ancient relics.

That just came to my mind.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou, but I now hear a new dog barkin'
    Was it mentioned here that one of Mangold's original ideas was that the film would be called
    Indiana Jones and the Magical Mystery Tour? :)

Indiana Jones and The Magical Mystery Tour
    In 1939, Dr. Jones is told by his colleagues about a circus that is believed to be a front to hide a ring of pirates with the aim of stealing ancient relics.

That just came to my mind.
    Sounds interesting, but also sounds like "too late". :-(
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Indy being captured and somewhat passive at the end isn't a flaw, it's a feature. The film about him finding his place in the world again, it's not about him being a superhuman and beating all Nazis in the world: he's an old man. It's much like the ending of Raiders -and I defy anyone to say that's a bad film- where he literally gives up. The ending of that film is about him realising the power of the Ark, which he hadn't accepted before, and finding Marion. Dial of Destiny is about him finding that he does have a place in the world (and yes, at one point he gives up, much like he did in Raiders) and that people love him and need him around.

I'm really looking forward to seeing it again. Do films normally come out on Blu Ray before Disney+ or vice versa?

Beautiful conclusion, @mtm, and I really wish DOD (I have all the others) will come out on Blu-ray as soon as possible, since I'm not going to subscribe to a streaming service which I won't need 95+ % of the time.

You probably saw it already, but in case you haven't the 'estimate' is September for the BD & 4K...
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Indy being captured and somewhat passive at the end isn't a flaw, it's a feature. The film about him finding his place in the world again, it's not about him being a superhuman and beating all Nazis in the world: he's an old man. It's much like the ending of Raiders -and I defy anyone to say that's a bad film- where he literally gives up. The ending of that film is about him realising the power of the Ark, which he hadn't accepted before, and finding Marion. Dial of Destiny is about him finding that he does have a place in the world (and yes, at one point he gives up, much like he did in Raiders) and that people love him and need him around.

I'm really looking forward to seeing it again. Do films normally come out on Blu Ray before Disney+ or vice versa?

Beautiful conclusion, @mtm, and I really wish DOD (I have all the others) will come out on Blu-ray as soon as possible, since I'm not going to subscribe to a streaming service which I won't need 95+ % of the time.

You probably saw it already, but in case you haven't the 'estimate' is September for the BD & 4K...

I'll have to live with the waiting time, but everyone can be sure I'll order the Blu-ray as soon as it becomes available. What's really bugging me is that the magnificent John Williams score seems not to become available on CD for at least some time. I hate Disney for that.

I'll have to live with the waiting time, but everyone can be sure I'll order the Blu-ray as soon as it becomes available. What's really bugging me is that the magnificent John Williams score seems not to become available on CD for at least some time. I hate Disney for that.

Especially since it's his last score for an Indy movie!!

Especially since it's his last score for an Indy movie!!

Especially since it's likely to be his last score for ANY movie, I'm afraid. He didn't stop composing for anyone besides Spielberg for nothing. I'd be glad if he lived to be 120 years old and keep composing, but... well, you know. Either way, he has deserved his place as greatest movie composer ever...and I am also a fan of Morricone and some others in the top-five realm, but John Williams really cuts the cake.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2023 Posts: 16,000
    I think he’s now said he doesn’t plan it to be his last score now.
    I do certainly want an expanded release though. There’s nothing at all from the NYC section of the film, for example.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    It’s a somber film that I’ve felt mixed about. I still liked it more than not, but I didn’t know where to land with this one by the time it ended. I missed Spielberg and Lucas’ whimsical sensibilities. I do look forward to revisiting this one on blu down the line and see how I feel about it then.
    It’s a somber film that I’ve felt mixed about. I still liked it more than not, but I didn’t know where to land with this one by the time it ended. I missed Spielberg and Lucas’ whimsical sensibilities. I do look forward to revisiting this one on blu down the line and see how I feel about it then.

Yes, it was somber compared to Crusade & Crystal Skull.....
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Well @mtm The Beatles' song Magical Mystery Tour does appear in the film! The question is which Indy character should wear the black carnation? :))
  • mattjoesmattjoes has three men to kill
    edited August 2023 Posts: 6,988
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    The funny thing is, if a fourth or even a fifth Indy movie came out in the 90's, everyone would have praised it as much as the Original Trilogy, that's where the problem is in my opinion, Skull and Dial came out too late.

I disagree,they are still such a huge step down from the classic trilogy ( they may have been slightly better in the action department given that Harrison would not have been too old and able to do more ).

I see Skull as the Die Another Day of the series and Dial as the View To A Kill.

Wow. I'd say Die Another Day & SPECTRE.

I can imagine what the DAD=Skull analogy means, but can you explain the Spectre=Dial analogy?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I didn't see it listed here unless I overlooked it but the new installment's coming to digital on August 29th:

https://collider.com/indiana-jones-and-the-dial-of-destiny-digital-release-date/
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    That's great, thanks. Hopefully it's on disc very soon.
    If that's the digital date, I'm guessing a mid-to-late September for the physical release. Then again, it is Disney, so that might not be the case.
    These are definitely some of my most-hyped films to upgrade to 4K. Given how many other things are on my list to buy, though, I can wait on DOD for a while if it’s not ready next month. First series I’m working on is Batman. But I would love to see the OG Indys at maximum quality; these action/adventure movies benefit from hi-def more than anything else, except sci-fi perhaps.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

'Only on digital'. I'm hoping that just means only on digital to start with... :-SS
    Yes, it just means "only available on digital" come August 29th. Others have echoed my thoughts, likely a 4K/blu-ray/DVD release by the end of September at the latest.
    I feel like the line "Be the first to watch at home" actually almost guarantees a later physical release.
    Considering it bombed at the box office, and despite them wanting to scale back their physical media, they'd be fools not to give it a timely physical media release. Hell, wouldn't be surprised to eventually see yet another boxset for these, but who knows.
  • Nice, I will buy it on Digital first and then the eventual 5-film 4K set down the road.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Considering it bombed at the box office, and despite them wanting to scale back their physical media, they'd be fools not to give it a timely physical media release. Hell, wouldn't be surprised to eventually see yet another boxset for these, but who knows.

That’s pretty standard for Disney.They released Guardians 3 on digital to rent or buy first,then D+,then physical media

That’s pretty standard for Disney.They released Guardians 3 on digital to rent or buy first,then D+,then physical media

It’s not a standard for Disney, it’s a standard for the industry to release a film digitally before putting it out on disc. TOP GUN: MAVERICK came out digitally in August, but the physical disc was held back until November.

The days of movies arriving on both disc and digital on the same day are now rare.

It’s not a standard for Disney, it’s a standard for the industry to release a film digitally before putting it out on disc. TOP GUN: MAVERICK came out digitally in August, but the physical disc was held back until November.

The days of movies arriving on both disc and digital on the same day are now rare.

The speed to which is put on digital depends on the company.

The Flash was out on digital ONE MONTH(!) after being released in cinemas ( It bombed even harder than Indy 5 so they were desperate to make as much money they lost back as quick as possible).

Fast X came out on digital about a month after cinema release as well though that made a respectable 700 million plus in cinemas ( its massive 340 million budget means it’s probably still in the red though ).

INSIDIOUS: THE RED DOOR came out a month ago by Sony and despite making $185m on a $14m budget, it’s already available on digital. NTTD came out Sep 30/Oct 8th, then one month later hits digital before finally getting a physical release on December.

This has become the new normal to give digital releases before physical.
    I'm confident that we will have "fiber to the home" by the end of this year, even in our 2,500-population village, which will increase the downstream rate by a factor of almost 40, but I still won't subscribe to a streaming service.

I'll patiently wait until Indy 5 comes out on Blu-ray. It's the only movie that I've seen twice at a cinema since 2012 anyway, and my impression is still vivid. And if it doesn't come out on Blu-ray, f... Disney, but so be it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Sure, I'm just hoping that's not changing: what with the score barely getting a CD release and Disney pulling out of physical releases for Australia, it's a worry that they won't release it on disc at all. But I expect everyone else is right and it will make it to disc.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    The funny thing is, if a fourth or even a fifth Indy movie came out in the 90's, everyone would have praised it as much as the Original Trilogy, that's where the problem is in my opinion, Skull and Dial came out too late.

I disagree,they are still such a huge step down from the classic trilogy ( they may have been slightly better in the action department given that Harrison would not have been too old and able to do more ).

I see Skull as the Die Another Day of the series and Dial as the View To A Kill.

I can imagine what the DAD=Skull analogy means, but can you explain the Spectre=Dial analogy?

SPECTRE had some emotional moments and a happy end, like Dial. AVTAK was just similar to DOD in terms of an aging actor.
  • mattjoesmattjoes has three men to kill
    mattjoes wrote: »

SPECTRE had some emotional moments and a happy end, like Dial. AVTAK was just similar to DOD in terms of an aging actor.

Thank you.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    INSIDIOUS: THE RED DOOR came out a month ago by Sony and despite making $185m on a $14m budget, it’s already available on digital. NTTD came out Sep 30/Oct 8th, then one month later hits digital before finally getting a physical release on December.

The profit margins on a digital release are through the roof. No shipping, no physical product, no theft, etc. A no brainer that soon the physical media will either disappear or become very niche!
    thedove wrote: »

The profit margins on a digital release are through the roof. No shipping, no physical product, no theft, etc. A no brainer that soon the physical media will either disappear or become very niche!

That's what everyone said about vinyl albums in the 1980s...