The DANIEL CRAIG Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

1168169170171172174»

Comments

• DaltonforyouDaltonforyou The Daltonator
    talos7 wrote: »
    He will enjoy opportunities to play a diverse range of characters, but trust me he will one day be again drawn to an alpha, heroic character; something that he will have to physically train for and be in top shape.

Perhaps, but his time is ticking. He's no Stallone.
    I'm surprised Daniel isn't getting the call from the big name directors.

He didn't work a lot when he was Bond.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited August 29 Posts: 40,859
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @mattjoes, isn't this the Daniel Craig thread?
    Yeah, it was just a joke, a bit of wordplay. Since the other thread is about Bond after Craig, and much of this one is about Craig after his Bond stint. There would be a nice symmetry to those thread names!

I was overworked and tired yesterday and it slowly dawned on me you were joking and it went entirely over my head.

In swift turnaround news, Queer has been picked up by A24, who were also the ones worried about that 3 hour-plus runtime and asked him to trim it down.
    I'm surprised Daniel isn't getting the call from the big name directors.

He didn't work a lot when he was Bond.

Really? He seemed relatively consistently in work between film, theatre, and tv. He even did films like Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, Knives Out, and Logan Lucky which are some of the better non-Bond performances by a Bond actor.
  • DaltonforyouDaltonforyou The Daltonator
    Very on brand for A24, I wonder what the tone of the film is like though, usually their films have a zany, quirky quality to them.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    I'm curious about this movie as a gay man. I'm so sick of the tired trope of traumatic stories being told. I know that's the usual, but I hope this is just a story of a man discovering himself and finding joy or something. I fear it will.. not be that haha.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited August 29 Posts: 4,570
    LucknFate wrote: »
    I'm curious about this movie as a gay man. I'm so sick of the tired trope of traumatic stories being told. I know that's the usual, but I hope this is just a story of a man discovering himself and finding joy or something. I fear it will.. not be that haha.

It's based on a William S. Burroughs novel (one I have not read, tbh)...I doubt there will be any joy. ;)

That said, while the tone and direction of the film may not be to your liking, I do think the film is going to work off of Burroughs' themes of the "outsider" experiencing despair. I can't wait to see it.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    LucknFate wrote: »

@LucknFate You might want to read the book first.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Yes, @LucknFate , Burroughs and his books are the opposite of joyous. They always leave me feeling emotionally spent.

I expect nothing less from this adaptation.

However, as you're likely aware, the director is a gay man, and so therefore, I think he will present his work with an empathetic eye, especially considering the era of the story (where gay men and women could be arrested)...

• VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited August 29 Posts: 3,112
    William Burroughs got drunk and killed his wife trying to shoot a shot glass off her head. I wouldn't hold out for a happy ending, tbh.
    Venutius wrote: »
    William Burroughs got drunk and killed his wife trying to shoot a shot glass off her head. I wouldn't hold out for a happy ending, tbh.

I forgot about that! Yes, that happened!
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    I think I'll pass on the book and movie then. Thank you all.
  • edited August 30 Posts: 3,805
    I've not read this particular book, but from what I understand from those who have/other things I've read by Burroughs and similar authors, it's not exactly a happy book, but neither is it in A Little Life territory of utter misery and trauma. It's very much about characters 'on the fringes of society' (very much Beat Generation stuff), and from what I gather it's about a man who's fled to Mexico, is coming off of heroin, and falls for a younger man despite the main character not previously identifying as gay (I guess it's pretty much inspired by Burrough's actual experiences).

I've heard it's written in a much more straightforward way than Burrough's other books (very different to Naked Lunch, which is absolute madness). Personally, I've read much more stuff from Kerouac, Ginsberg, and Bukowski (not dissimilar writers but not completely the same), so I suspect if there's humour in this book it's more dark humour, and usually there's a sense these character revel in their 'outsiderness'. Obviously I don't know what the film will be like.
  • edited August 31 Posts: 6,703
    New pic, I think.

3o1ikzl1wgld21.jpg
    Univex wrote: »
    New pic, I think.

3o1ikzl1wgld21.jpg

I think it got posted earlier in the thread. Movie premieres on Tuesday. I can't wait to read the reviews. https://www.labiennale.org/en/cinema/2024/venezia-81-competition/queer
    Capture.PNG?format=1500w
    edited September 3 Posts: 40,859

Review embargo will be lifted at 12:45 pm EST today. Initial reception is described as "surreal" and "ambitious," which sounds right up my alley.
    As with most films (especially Bond films) I only pay attention to reviews from reputable outlets. So far, most of those (notably Variety and The Hollywood Reporter) have showered praise on the film, as well as Craig's performance.
  • Very likely soon Craig will become the second official Bond actor to get nominated for an Oscar.
    Very likely soon Craig will become the second official Bond actor to get nominated for an Oscar.

Fingers crossed!
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited September 5 Posts: 3,112
    Craig's such a genuinely great actor, he'd've been at least nominated years ago if not for underlying anti-Bond snobbery. Probably. I know there's a lot less of it now than there used to be pre-Craig, but can't help thinking there's vestigial pockets of it lingering in some quarters. How else to account for someone of Dan's calibre not even getting a nod?
  • edited September 5 Posts: 3,805
    Oscars aren't the be all and end all anyway. Plenty of wonderful actors weren't even nominated for great performances. At the same time some pretty ropey performances have made it into the nominations and have even won under the right circumstances.

I would say that Craig has deserved at least a nomination during his Bond tenure though. Sure, his performance in Knives Out is pretty elaborate/comedic, and I gather it's the sort of performance that wouldn't get a nod without a bit of heavy campaigning. Same for Logan Lucky. But they weren't undeserving of a nomination. On the opposite end of that spectrum I think what he was doing in Girl With The Dragon Tattoo was too subtle for the Oscars at that time, and I'd say it's miles better than Brad Pitt in Moneyball or George Clooney in The Descendants (both of whom, for some reason, got nominations... Gary Oldman should have won it for Tinker Tailor that year in my opinion, but again, much too subtle for the Oscars).

Maybe Defiance was the most Oscar baitey film during his Bond career, but I don't think it made enough impact. But for sure, he's a really great actor, one of the best British film actors about. With or without an Oscar.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    TIFF attendees, you can vote for QUEER for the 2024 TIFF People's Choice Awards:
    https://www.tiff.net/vote-pca-2024/
    edited September 11 Posts: 4,570
    I am reading some details on the Craig-Starkey sex scenes. Oh boy. This stuff doesn't faze me, but from what I have read, most other audience members will be aghast--especially if unprepared. LOL
    TripAces wrote: »
    I am reading some details on the Craig-Starkey sex scenes. Oh boy. This stuff doesn't faze me, but from what I have read, most other audience members will be aghast--especially if unprepared. LOL

Do you have a link?
    TripAces wrote: »

Do you have a link?

https://www.out.com/film/daniel-craig-drew-starkey-queer-leaked-sex-scene

It was up on X for a little while but those posts may have been taken down.