Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• mattjoesmattjoes has three men to kill
    The Edge (1997). Very good.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Tuulia wrote: »
    Great to count you as yet another fan of The American, @Tuulia. We've now got a majority. From your tastes and what movies you like, I thought it'd interest you.

A majority? :)) That's cool on one hand, but on the other... I so often disagree with majority I can't support the idea that majority is somehow important in matters of movie taste. :)
    bondjames wrote: »
    @Tuulia, I really liked A Most Wanted Man but disliked The American. Coincidentally, it reminded me a little of The Eiger Sanction for some reason (or at least, films from that era with respect to pacing).

You found The Day of the Jackal boring? I thought it was gripping.

Must get to All The President's Men again sometime.

I love Three Days of the Condor & Network.

The French Connection is one I haven't seen.

Which one reminded you of The Eiger Sanction?

Gripping was sort of my memory of The Day Of The Jackal, but this time it wasn't...
    The American. There is something about the leisurely and deliberate pace of the film which certainly reminded me of that era of film making.

Regarding The Day of the Jackal: It has a sort of documentary flavour to the way it's filmed. When I was younger I thought I was watching a re-enactment of historical fact.

Hmm... Okay. Maybe so. But in any case I liked one and not the other. Of course, that was not a pacing thing for me, but story and character issue. Pacing-wise you may be correct, I didn't think of that. I agree on TDOTJ on the style.

@Tuulia, by using "majority" I only mean to cheekily say that, as far as this community goes, it seems there are a surprisingly high number of folks who enjoy The American and can appreciate it in contrast to those who can't. Don't worry about being a part of the majority though, because outside this place the movie was forgotten and not sparklingly received so in reality you'd be in the minority for even moderately liking it. It's a hard film to prepare someone for, and takes specific types of film fans to enjoy it because it does have a lot of distinct techniques of the medium that will off put many and entrap only a few.

All this being said I see a lot of folks popped the movie in after I sparked a little discussion days ago so that's good no matter if the new watchers liked it or not.
    I came across the film initially with this introduction by director Alex Cox, he had a show called Moviedrome where he did introductions to cult movies. He discusses the parallels the film has with the Kennedys in this intro...

@Fire_and_Ice_Returns Moviedrome! I only discovered there was such a thing several years ago after watching Mark Cousins's wonderful STORY OF FILM. I wish there was something like it now. (The Moviedromer fan site is awesome, by the way, if you don't already know it.)
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited August 2017 Posts: 24,773
    Strog wrote: »
    I came across the film initially with this introduction by director Alex Cox, he had a show called Moviedrome where he did introductions to cult movies. He discusses the parallels the film has with the Kennedys in this intro...

@Fire_and_Ice_Returns Moviedrome! I only discovered there was such a thing several years ago after watching Mark Cousins's wonderful STORY OF FILM. I wish there was something like it now. (The Moviedromer fan site is awesome, by the way, if you don't already know it.)

When I was younger watched Moviedrome when it aired, the show introduced me to many cult classics. Mark Cousins took over from Alex Cox, the format really got you in the mood for which film was playing I like additional information for most films that I watch.

Cheers I'll check the link not seen it previously
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Wizard-of-Oz-RSC-and-MUNI1-541x346.jpg

Is that Palpatine, C-3PO, Leia and Chewbacca?

• QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    The Case for Christ
    The-Case-for-Christ-1-e1492295662339.jpg?fit=600%2C397

I'm not one for Christian movies but I have a cousin who is into them so I've seen a few. I'll admit that this one was decently made but that's not saying much. It's nothing I would recommend either.
    Based on the true story of the author of the book. It's about an atheist man who's wife comes to the Christian faith. After she tells him he sets out to prove Jesus never existed by doing research. When he can't prove her wrong, he pretty much gives up and accepts Jesus into his life. The movie was about 1 hr. 45 min. but it felt well over 2 hours.
    Great to count you as yet another fan of The American, @Tuulia. We've now got a majority. From your tastes and what movies you like, I thought it'd interest you.

A majority? :)) That's cool on one hand, but on the other... I so often disagree with majority I can't support the idea that majority is somehow important in matters of movie taste. :)
    @Tuulia, I really liked A Most Wanted Man but disliked The American. Coincidentally, it reminded me a little of The Eiger Sanction for some reason (or at least, films from that era with respect to pacing).

You found The Day of the Jackal boring? I thought it was gripping.

Must get to All The President's Men again sometime.

I love Three Days of the Condor & Network.

The French Connection is one I haven't seen.

Which one reminded you of The Eiger Sanction?

Gripping was sort of my memory of The Day Of The Jackal, but this time it wasn't...
    The American. There is something about the leisurely and deliberate pace of the film which certainly reminded me of that era of film making.

Regarding The Day of the Jackal: It has a sort of documentary flavour to the way it's filmed. When I was younger I thought I was watching a re-enactment of historical fact.

Hmm... Okay. Maybe so. But in any case I liked one and not the other. Of course, that was not a pacing thing for me, but story and character issue. Pacing-wise you may be correct, I didn't think of that. I agree on TDOTJ on the style.

@Tuulia, by using "majority" I only mean to cheekily say that, as far as this community goes, it seems there are a surprisingly high number of folks who enjoy The American and can appreciate it in contrast to those who can't. Don't worry about being a part of the majority though, because outside this place the movie was forgotten and not sparklingly received so in reality you'd be in the minority for even moderately liking it. It's a hard film to prepare someone for, and takes specific types of film fans to enjoy it because it does have a lot of distinct techniques of the medium that will off put many and entrap only a few.

All this being said I see a lot of folks popped the movie in after I sparked a little discussion days ago so that's good no matter if the new watchers liked it or not.

Yes, I got how you meant it. :)
    Strog wrote: »

When I was younger watched Moviedrome when it aired, the show introduced me to many cult classics. Mark Cousins took over from Alex Cox, the format really got you in the mood for which film was playing I like additional information for most films that I watch.

Cheers I'll check the link not seen it previously

Ah, Moviedrome. Theres a blast from the past. Loved it. Even sent away for the booklet that accompanied some of the series. Preferred the earlier ones with Alex Cox. He had a marvellous droll intro to each movie!

This was pretty good.

This was pretty good.

I like that film. Not 10/10 but still very good and riveting.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I thought it was a bit dull and predictable.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited August 2017 Posts: 4,570
    Logan Lucky. Just saw it for a second time. Pretty good. If nothing else, Soderbergh shows what a mad genius he can be: who else could turn a Lord Sutch tune into something really, really cool?
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Who Dares Wins this stands up well on BD on a large screen, the film is ludicrous in parts though it's typical gritty early 80's British film. There are some interesting themes touched upon, the two leads have great chemistry. The unrefined proto Craig Bond Lewis Collins is excellent. The last hour of this film is intense, the last scene in this film is obviously propaganda though it's unnerving

There is a documentary about Euan Lloyd on the Arrow Video of Who Dares Wins Sir Roger is in the documentary along with Bridget Bardot and John Glen.

The Golden era of Hollywood is fascinating, Euan talks about pre Bond Cubby

Fascinating Euan talks about how Connery was persuaded to star in Shalako I really did not expect this documentary on this disk. Arrow Blurays are superb

Buy this Arrow Bluray, Wild Geese fans will love the documentary on this disk

Oh, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, I might have to purchase this now. Saw it on its initial theatrical release (and probably on its VHS rental release) but not seen it since, so can't remember that much about it. Arrow do a fine job with their releases and my collection is ever growing. Have The Thing Special Edition on pre-order, roll on the end of October (early-ish birthday present to myself).
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Along these lines, have people here seen The Parallax View? Pretty tight political thriller.

Rewatched Parallax View last year great thriller it's up there with The Manchurian Candidate and All the Presidents Men It's very cinematic, I remember the first time I watched the film was shocked by the ending.

I first saw it in my High School film class- our great teacher would pause it to point out how the camera was not centered on actions during dodgy stuff underscoring the 'parallax', or slightly skewed perspective of the events. Brilliant.

It is clever certain interactions as the film progresses made me suspicious, some great set pieces in the film the Seattle opening looks fantastic in HD, the fight in the river and the final set piece all brilliant. The film is currently free on UK Netflix though been trying to get it on BD for sometime, curious to watch any documentarys or Commentary on the making of the film.

It's a furiously emotional piece of film-making IMO. still,
    the ending is so 70's. Too sobering and downbeat. It actually makes me cry... :(

Agreed it's very dark, in the 70s Hollywood were a great deal braver with there films.

Loved MovieDrome - why don't the BBC revive it? I think I have a outsized book/let about the first series somewhere, must try and dig it out.
    There apparently is an online petition or fan club that have bedn badgering the bbc to bring it back ! They realkyshould as i wihld think it would bea popukar watch for fulm fans of cult classics. Much like they should bring back the horror double bills on Saturday nights of old!
    Jesus, just read back my above text. Need to put my contact lenses in!!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    The untold stories of 007. It's on ITV 4 right now!
    tintin-et-le-lac-aux-requins-affiche_272387_33508.jpg

This film from 1972 was a dear childhood memory. I should never have revisited it. It wasn t very good.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

This film from 1972 was a dear childhood memory. I should never have revisited it. It wasn t very good.

That's why I'll never see the Spongebob movie ever again.
    You should. I only saw it recently and found it hilarious.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    You should. I only saw it recently and found it hilarious.

That first Spongebob movie is hilarious to me, as well. Didn't watch any of the newer ones, seemed more kid-oriented.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Who Dares Wins this stands up well on BD on a large screen, the film is ludicrous in parts though it's typical gritty early 80's British film. There are some interesting themes touched upon, the two leads have great chemistry. The unrefined proto Craig Bond Lewis Collins is excellent. The last hour of this film is intense, the last scene in this film is obviously propaganda though it's unnerving

There is a documentary about Euan Lloyd on the Arrow Video of Who Dares Wins Sir Roger is in the documentary along with Bridget Bardot and John Glen.

The Golden era of Hollywood is fascinating, Euan talks about pre Bond Cubby

Fascinating Euan talks about how Connery was persuaded to star in Shalako I really did not expect this documentary on this disk. Arrow Blurays are superb

Buy this Arrow Bluray, Wild Geese fans will love the documentary on this disk

Oh, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, I might have to purchase this now. Saw it on its initial theatrical release (and probably on its VHS rental release) but not seen it since, so can't remember that much about it. Arrow do a fine job with their releases and my collection is ever growing. Have The Thing Special Edition on pre-order, roll on the end of October (early-ish birthday present to myself).

I had no idea The Thing was getting a Arrow release just looked on Amazon definitely buying that, never bought it on BD which is crazy as it's one of my favourites in the genre. Tempted to buy Big Trouble in Little China on Arrow Video, I already own a HD copy though I am developing a Arrow addiction the extra features are fantastic.

Agree would be great if Moviedrome was revived, I'll have to look at this petition. @Mathis1

Love Tintin adventures I have the boxset, I have a Bakelite collectable plaque of TinTin Au Vietnam hung up in my lounge.

7530519-TINTIN-AU-VIETNAM-0.jpg
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Jesus, just read back my above text. Need to put my contact lenses in!!

Ha ha! made for an interesting read.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Just saw LL
    Unfortunate.
    Some what disappointing.
    If oceans 11 is great
    And oceans 12 is utter shit
    LL is somewhere in the middle
    Great craig performance though.
    Very slow moving film
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Sad to hear it @JamesBondKenya. I may watch the The Hitman's Bodyguard instead.
    True Confessions (1981)
    Robert Duvall and Robert De Niro as brothers, one working in the police, the other in Catholic Church. Not bad, but I didn't care for it much.

The Right Stuff (1983)
    Always happy to see Sam Shepard and he was very good in this. Unfortunately for a lot of the time he was nowhere to be seen, though, and the rest of the guys were less interesting. I can't say the story interested me much, I found it kinda boring and irritating: the competitive men, oh America the great, and women admiring their husbands on tv and being bimbos. Seesh.

Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence (1983)
    The only other movie by Nagisa Oshima that I've seen was In The Realm Of The Senses, which I saw ages ago. This one is set on a Japanese prisoner of war camp during WW2, and is based on actual experiences of a prisoner. It stars Tom Conti, David Bowie, Takeshi Kitano and Ruyichi Sakamoto (who also wrote the music - which I was apparently very familiar with from somewhere... and liked). A strange movie (the music added to that), but I found it's themes interesting - cultural differences, such as entirely different ideas about honor and cowardice... and the difficulty and the possibility of seeing the enemy on a human level - and the ending was genuinely moving. I can't say I exactly liked it, but... sort of did anyway.

The Outsiders (1983)
    Rumble Fish (1983)
    So... why am I not even familiar with the name of C. Thomas Howell (who played the lead in The Outsiders)? Why haven't I seen all that much Matt Dillon over the years (he's in both of these)? Why is that other Matt D. so much more famous? Seriously, what the hell...? And why hadn't I seen particularly Rumble Fish before
    These movies were both directed by Francis Ford Coppola, and both are based on novels by the same author, S. E. Hinton. So I figured I needed to watch them on consecutive days... There are similar themes explored, and some of the actors have roles in both movies. (The stories aren't connected.) The look and style of the movies is very different though. I liked the first and loved the second.
    The Outsiders is more "realistic" and "normal" in style.
    Rumble Fish is black and white and in a noir style. Noir fans like @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 - have you seen this and if so, did you like it? I hadn't seen it before and was just just marveling at it. I thought it was beautiful and a joy to watch. Largely trashed, not understood (what's to understand, it wasn't difficult?), and a BO flop at the time, but more respected now. One of Coppola's better movies in my opinion. Already placed on the re-watch list (which only exists in my head).

Top Gun (1986)
    I never saw this at the time, and didn't later, since I always figured I wouldn't like it. Well, I was correct. Boring, predictable, and all sorts of bad.

Stand By Me (1986)
    This was so good, so well written, and the young actors were great. The movie was both fun and touching. An added element when watching this was knowing a bit about the actors, poor kids... Of the four, one may have reached adulthood okay for all I know, but the rest, sigh... One a victim of pedophilia and introduced to drugs via that, and the other two got into drugs whatever way they did, etc. - River Phoenix also killed by drugs, at only 23. Seeing them here as kids with potentially bright futures (both the actors and the characters) added poignancy to the movie watching experience.
    In any case I really enjoyed the movie, it was fun. But before I had even finished watching this I decided my movie for the night after - featuring a kid who actually got a bright, happy future:

Empire Of The Sun (1987)
    30 years old this year, wow. One of Spielberg's best. (He originally came in as a producer when David Lean was set to direct, but apparently Spielberg was more interested in the story, so...) Set in Shanghai and in an internment camp outside of it during WW2, based on the J. G. Ballard novel that draws from his own experiences to some extent. Great performances all around, including in minor roles. Fab sets, tons of extras.
    This is a child's story, growing up during war, adapting the best he can to new circumstances and situations, losing innocence on the way. The movie could be filled with misery, but somehow isn't - while that stuff is still very much there, the focus is on survival and the imagination and the effort needed to survive. It's a delicate balance, and I think Spielberg manages to balance things beautifully.
    There are several scenes - especially early on and then towards the end - that juxtapose unusual or even opposite things, and those are great, because they are so absurd, yet believable and not out of place. Surreal and realistic at the same time - an effective thing to do.
    An excellent movie I will no doubt continue to re-watch, it's very rich in detail, and always a positive experience.

Maurice (1987)
    I always liked this. A good old Merchant-Ivory film. Pretty groundbreaking for its time, and still a beautiful movie now.

Withnail and I (1987)
    A black comedy starring Richard E. Grant (in his first movie - he was wonderful) and Paul McGann as unemployed actors who live in a London flat, and decide to go on a holiday on the countryside, but find it a less than relaxing experience. I didn't remember anything about this, just vaguely that I had probably liked it. It was worth a re-watch. At times pretty bonkers, and there was a long section where I basically just kept laughing.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Tuulia, I've not seen Rumble Fish, but I'm open to any film with Coppola attached and in a noir style. Added to the list!
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

The Outsiders (1983)
    Rumble Fish (1983)
    So... why am I not even familiar with the name of C. Thomas Howell (who played the lead in The Outsiders)? Why haven't I seen all that much Matt Dillon over the years (he's in both of these)? Why is that other Matt D. so much more famous? Seriously, what the hell...? And why hadn't I seen particularly Rumble Fish before
    These movies were both directed by Francis Ford Coppola, and both are based on novels by the same author, S. E. Hinton. So I figured I needed to watch them on consecutive days... There are similar themes explored, and some of the actors have roles in both movies. (The stories aren't connected.) The look and style of the movies is very different though. I liked the first and loved the second.
    Rumble Fish is black and white and in a noir style. Noir fans like @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 - have you seen this and if so, did you like it? I hadn't seen it before and was just just marveling at it. I thought it was beautiful and a joy to watch. Largely trashed, not understood (what's to understand, it wasn't difficult?), and a BO flop at the time, but more respected now. One of Coppola's better movies in my opinion. Already placed on the re-watch list (which only exists in my head).

If you enjoyed Matt Dillon in those films, @Tuulia then check out Drugstore Cowboy (1989)

He plays the leader of a 'family' of drug addicts, who feed their habit by robbing drugstores as they travel across the country.

Really worth seeing and one of Gus Van Sant's more accessible films.
    During my vacations, due to not being able to watch on replay some shows that airs far too late in the night (coughSupergirlcough), I watched a few movies that either I haven't seen before, or not for a long time. So here goes :

On DVD : Guardians, or, as I call it, Russia's Avengers. Not bad in fact. Great work on the special effects, not long, and thus getting to the point pretty quickly. Saw the DVD twice in two weeks, which means that I find it good, even if the ending reminded me of Dragonball Z for some reason.

On TV : Maigret Voit Rouge, one of the Maigret movies Jean Gabin did in the fifties-sixties. The trouble with Gabin is that he never played Maigret, he played Gabin playing Maigret. But still, a fine movie and a good example of the kind of crime movies France did at that time, before the Nouvelle Vague came along.

Asterix in Britain, Asterix and the Vikings, Asterix Conquers America : Funny, good for spending a few hours. Still, wuldn't want to be a Roman in these movies. Or a Pirate.

In cinema : Atomic Blonde. Probably the best spy story I've seen in a long time, although one might get lost in the various double, triple and even quadruple crosses in this movie. But Charlize Theron kicks ass and looks good... no, not good, great... No, not great, gorgeous doing it (the fight in the staircase is a masterpiece). Highly recommanded.

Next week, I'm going to see Valerian. Although I don't think it will be as good as the graphic novels (but then, it's rarely the case, isn't it ?), I think it might be good.

The Outsiders (1983)
    Rumble Fish (1983)

If you enjoyed Matt Dillon in those films, @Tuulia then check out Drugstore Cowboy (1989)

He plays the leader of a 'family' of drug addicts, who feed their habit by robbing drugstores as they travel across the country.

Really worth seeing and one of Gus Van Sant's more accessible films.

I've seen it, but years ago. I remember I liked it then, but don't remember it well. Need a re-watch...