Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• edited February 2018 Posts: 3,336
    The Third Man (1949)
    Another enjoyable viewing of this MASTERPIECE!
    Essential viewing for all cinefiles.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Closed Circuit (2013)
    T0attGN.jpg
    Directed by John Crowley, this British conspiracy thriller focuses on Martin Rose (Eric Bana) and Claudia Simmons-Howe (Rebcca Hall), lawyers (and ex-lovers) tasked with defending a radicalized Turkish individual accused of detonating a bomb in central London. The duo discover an MI5 conspiracy, government corruption and cover up, which puts their lives in danger. This is an interesting and reasonably suspenseful but low key procedural style film which touches on the topical subject of the surveillance culture (Nine Eyes sort of stuff). It doesn’t develop its premise all that well but is still worth a watch due to the performances, which are all engaging. This is not a film for fans of action and explosions, but is still makes for interesting viewing on account of how the tensions builds. Jim Broadbent, Ciaran Hinds and Julia Stiles also star in minor roles.
    ---

Knight & Day (2010)
    UcBr4pT.jpg
    This Tom Cruise/Cameron Diaz action romance comedy is a difficult film to categorize. It plays in part like Charade, but is chock-full of action and explosions and at times also resembles a cheap MI parody. While on first read that may appear to be a contradiction (and it is), the film (just) works, even as it subverts expectations. That’s a testament to director James Mangold, as well as the charisma of and chemistry between the two leads, who are very entertaining to watch. Cruise plays Roy Miller, a CIA agent trying to protect a geek scientist (Paul Dano) who has invented a revolutionary & powerful battery. As can be imagined this valuable item is desired by several individuals, some unsavoury, including characters played by Peter Sarsgaard, Viola Davis & Jordi Molla (all wasted here unfortunately). Diaz is June, an innocent bystander who gets caught in the crossfire and proves to be surprisingly adept and handy, despite being a bit ditsy and daft too. Think Bullock in Speed. It’s quite a fun way to spend a few hours, even if the action sequences are way over the top, CGI infested and mindless. I would have preferred if they had laid off 'all this running around' (to quote Silva), and focused more on the more intimate and slower scenes. That to me is when the film is at its best, but such moments are few and far between. Gal Gadot has a blink and you’ll miss it role.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Damn, totally forgot Gal was in that, @bondjames. Her role really is blink and you'll miss it, it ends so quickly. I always enjoy the movie; quite OTT at times but still fairly thrilling and the action scenes are well done.
    Yes, that's why I brought it up @Creasy47. I'd imagine folks who saw the film when it came out (and before Gadot became famous) would forget that she had a tiny role in this. I was surprised to see her suddenly show up actually.

I agree, it's not a bad film. Very light and fun as long as one doesn't approach it with any expectations.
    Eraserhead (1977). It has become one of my favorites.
    Basically. It’s truly a one-of-a-kind experience. I’ve yet to see something even close to being like it. Lynch is hit and miss for me, but that is one of his best. Elephant Man, Blue Velvet, Straight Story, and Mulholland Drive are also quality. The others I can leave.
    Haven’t seen it; don’t watch a lot of TV. Mostly a movie person. My ranking right now goes:

1. Blue Velvet
    2. The Elephant Man
    3. Eraserhead
    4. The Straight Story
    5. Mulholland Drive
    6. Lost Highway
    7. Inland Empire
    8. Dune
    9. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
    10. Wild at Heart

1-3 are all-time favorites, 4 is very good, 5 is decent, then the rest are mostly disappointing but feature certain fascinating things.
    Hmm. Wild at Heart was a total miss for me just about. A few funny moments but mostly not my thing. Lost Highway at times had great potential but it really disappointed me by the end.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Haven’t seen it; don’t watch a lot of TV. Mostly a movie person. My ranking right now goes:

1. Blue Velvet
    2. The Elephant Man
    3. Eraserhead
    4. The Straight Story
    5. Mulholland Drive
    6. Lost Highway
    7. Inland Empire
    8. Dune
    10. Wild at Heart

1-3 are all-time favorites, 4 is very good, 5 is decent, then the rest are mostly disappointing but feature certain fascinating things.

How did it go watching: Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, without watching the show? Isn't it a continuation of sorts?

I am thinking of finishing Lynch work, so far i've seen:
    Blue Velvet
    The Elephant Man
    Eraserhead
    Mullholland Drive
    Lost Highway
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I just watched THE FLORIDA PROJECT by Sean Baker. I have yet to finish my annual Top Ten list (for 2017), but there is still much to see. At this point this film stands at number 2. Very good film.

Really liked that one aswell. In my top 5 of the year.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

1. Blue Velvet
    2. The Elephant Man
    3. Eraserhead
    4. The Straight Story
    5. Mulholland Drive
    6. Lost Highway
    7. Inland Empire
    8. Dune
    10. Wild at Heart

How did it go watching: Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, without watching the show? Isn't it a continuation of sorts?
    Prequel.

1. Blue Velvet
    2. The Elephant Man
    3. Eraserhead
    4. The Straight Story
    5. Mulholland Drive
    6. Lost Highway
    7. Inland Empire
    8. Dune
    10. Wild at Heart

I am thinking of finishing Lynch work, so far i've seen:
    Blue Velvet
    The Elephant Man
    Eraserhead
    Mullholland Drive
    Lost Highway

I can’t even remember much of Fire Walk With Me, other than that I didn’t care for much of it. Looks like you’ve already seen most of the best Lynch films; I’d suggest Straight Story, but the others I personally don’t care for a lot.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I've seen all Lynch films, including some of his more obscure projects. My favourite film of his is most likely Eraserhead.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I've seen all Lynch films, including some of his more obscure projects. My favourite film of his is most likely Eraserhead.

Good choice. It could become mine potentially; definitely an awesome film experience.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Jack Nance is delicious in it.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Eraserhead (1977). It has become one of my favorites.

There's nothing else like it. Incredible imagery and the film just gets under the skin. The industrial soundtrack goes a long way in the effect this film has.
    The soundtrack is somehow even more haunting than the imagery. It puts you in the most isolated, depressing world possible.
    The soundtrack is somehow even more haunting than the imagery. It puts you in the most isolated, depressing world possible.

Yep. Lynch's films always have incredible sound effects. They really do transport the viewer into his world.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 684
    1. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
    2. Mulholland Drive
    3. Eraserhead

Blue Velvet, Inland Empire, Lost Highway, and Wild At Heart are all fairly much on the same plane for me (which is to say I still think they're great), but if forced to rank them I'd place them in that order.

Also, Twin Peaks: The Return was incredible. If I can cheat my response for 'best 2017 film,' I'd answer TPTR.

Yep. Lynch's films always have incredible sound effects. They really do transport the viewer into his world.
    I can't think of anyone whose films I look forward to listening to more than his.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Scarface (1983)
    mcp9hn1.jpg
    I’ve never gotten round to watching this famous Brian De Palma directed outing (based on a screenplay by Oliver Stone) before. Perhaps I've resisted because gangsta flair isn’t normally my cup of tea, I’m not sure. Anyway, I finally got round to it tonight. This is a quite violent and garish film, which rests primarily on the central performance by Al Pacino as ambitious & foul mouthed Cuban thug Tony Montana (shipped off to the US along with boatloads of other Cuban criminals by Castro in the early 80s). Pacino is all hyper-offensive aggression and scenery chewing bombast here. Montana is a gutsy passionate coiled spring of a man who isn’t afraid to live dangerously and seize opportunity. As soon as he arrives in the US with best buddy Manny (Steven Bauer), he looks for ways to move ahead, and ingratiates himself with a local Florida drug kingpin Frank Lopez (Robert Loggia) by doing a dirty deed and knocking off a Cuban rival for him. Montana starts to build his empire on the back of this alliance. He later falls for and bags Frank’s girl Elvira (Michelle Pfieffer in an early role), while also harbouring some incestuous (or at the very least irrationally overprotective) feelings for his sister Gina (Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio – overacting as usual). After reaching the top of the Florida drug game, Tony begins to run into trouble as he snorts too much of his own product, lets greed get the better of him, and lets down a Bolivian drug dealer (who also happens to be his chief narcotics supplier), Alejandro Sosa (brilliantly played by the smooth Paul Shenar). Ironically, it is an act of mercy which eventually leads to Tony’s downfall, and the end is deliciously exaggerated & graphic. The film has supporting turns by some excellent actors, including F. Murray Abraham, Harris Yulin, Mark Margolis & Pepe Serna. It’s not a bad film, but isn’t really my thing. A bit satirical and OTT.
    I’ve seen some footage of it. A beloved film, but also not likely to be my cup of tea.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Scarface happens to be my all-time favorite gangster movie. If you ever get the chance, watch the original 1932 film. Completely different beasts, despite having many structural similarities.
    Godfather, Godfather 2, and Goodfellas are my favorite gangster films easily.
    Scarface happens to be my all-time favorite gangster movie. If you ever get the chance, watch the original 1932 film. Completely different beasts, despite having many structural similarities.
    I heard about that film. Based on Capone's story I believe. I'll definitely check it out at some point.
  • mattjoesmattjoes DAY OF THE BROSNAN
    Scarface '83 feels so violent, even today. It has to do with what it shows but also with that edgy feeling it creates. There is a bit of a sense of exploitation-film nastiness to the movie.

That image of the guy getting hanged from the helicopter is a striking one.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    mattjoes wrote: »
    That image of the guy getting hanged from the helicopter is a striking one.
    Very disturbing, that one.
    The Final Girls 2015

Man this movie is amazing and smart and just wow it... is a smart slasher film with lots of great emotions and everything just brilliant

best movie I have seen this year

if you like slasher films THIS is a movie you need to see

its like the last action movie done right

Films I have seen in 2018
    1, The Final Girls
    2. Taken
    3. Before Sunrise
    4. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    5. Before Midnight
    6. Before Sunset

Before series
    1. Before Sunrise
    2. Before Midnight
    3. Before Sunset

Taken Series

1. Taken

Liam Neeson (sort of) retrospective series
    1. Taken
    [/quote]

• edited February 2018 Posts: 1,665
    Black Sunday 3.5/6 , 70-80 mins before anything really happens

Delta Force is much much better afa anti terror films are concerned

Vacation 4/6 , okay but thought Chevy would have a bigger role and not just 2-3 mins
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 684
    LIVING IN OBLIVION (1995). Directed by Tom DiCillo. Steve Buscemi and Catherine Keener. A really good small-budget comedy. All the things that can go wrong in a single day on a film set do. Script is never dull and has some great lines. Film debut of Peter Dinklage!
    bondjames wrote: »
    Scarface (1983)
    mcp9hn1.jpg
    I’ve never gotten round to watching this famous Brian De Palma directed outing (based on a screenplay by Oliver Stone) before. Perhaps I've resisted because gangsta flair isn’t normally my cup of tea, I’m not sure. Anyway, I finally got round to it tonight. This is a quite violent and garish film, which rests primarily on the central performance by Al Pacino as ambitious & foul mouthed Cuban thug Tony Montana (shipped off to the US along with boatloads of other Cuban criminals by Castro in the early 80s). Pacino is all hyper-offensive aggression and scenery chewing bombast here. Montana is a gutsy passionate coiled spring of a man who isn’t afraid to live dangerously and seize opportunity. As soon as he arrives in the US with best buddy Manny (Steven Bauer), he looks for ways to move ahead, and ingratiates himself with a local Florida drug kingpin Frank Lopez (Robert Loggia) by doing a dirty deed and knocking off a Cuban rival for him. Montana starts to build his empire on the back of this alliance. He later falls for and bags Frank’s girl Elvira (Michelle Pfieffer in an early role), while also harbouring some incestuous (or at the very least irrationally overprotective) feelings for his sister Gina (Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio – overacting as usual). After reaching the top of the Florida drug game, Tony begins to run into trouble as he snorts too much of his own product, lets greed get the better of him, and lets down a Bolivian drug dealer (who also happens to be his chief narcotics supplier), Alejandro Sosa (brilliantly played by the smooth Paul Shenar). Ironically, it is an act of mercy which eventually leads to Tony’s downfall, and the end is deliciously exaggerated & graphic. The film has supporting turns by some excellent actors, including F. Murray Abraham, Harris Yulin, Mark Margolis & Pepe Serna. It’s not a bad film, but isn’t really my thing. A bit satirical and OTT.

Scarface is certainly OTT. Directed by Brian De Palma and written by Oliver Stone were you expecting something subtle?!!!!
    Its a violent, silly and crass film but hugely enjoyable. It embodies the 80's perfectly.
    Saw it at the cinema in 1984. It was the first 18 certificate film I'd seen at the cinema and this 16 year old at the time thoroughly enjoyed it!
    Interesting bit of trivia, Steven Spielberg directed some of the big climactic shoot out.